[Q] Toshiba Folio 100

Search This thread

bisto321

Aug 26, 2009
anybody know why the folio has been taken off sale.check out pcworld and dixons and currys,they priced it up to £999 today then deleted it from all the sites,i was in the procces of trying to buy one when it happened,its a nice tab but im not gonna pay £999 for it

This is a copy of the post I put up on the Advent Vega thread on MoDaCo in response to a post about a possible recall/withdrawal, they have also spotted this;

This is shaping up to be an epic fail for toshiba and PCW, bet that 21 day exclusive does not look so hot now ;)
I really like my folio, now it has flash and has been tamed with launcher pro.
I will keep it, unless the battery issue mentioned above is a safety thing. Mine does seem to leak juice on wifi!

Dont want to spoil your party, but I would think that unless Dixons Group/Advent are 100% sure that a repeat of the folio launch is not going to happen - the 18th might not be on :(

I mailed Dixons/PCW to ask if the Advent would have flash from launch and they stated that they had not yet been given the final specs of the device and would not like to speculate on this.

I hope it is out soon and is all it should/could be. Toshiba really would be shamed then.

I Suspect they (Toshiba/PCW staff) will all be whistling, looking furtive and saying "Toshiba folio, what’s that? Never heard of it. Would you like to buy an 8gig SD card for £49. No! ok your loss - see ya!"

supagforce

Jun 29, 2008
This is a copy of the post I put up on the Advent Vega thread on MoDaCo in response to a post about a possible recall/withdrawal, they have also spotted this;

This is shaping up to be an epic fail for toshiba and PCW, bet that 21 day exclusive does not look so hot now ;)
I really like my folio, now it has flash and has been tamed with launcher pro.
I will keep it, unless the battery issue mentioned above is a safety thing. Mine does seem to leak juice on wifi!

Dont want to spoil your party, but I would think that unless Dixons Group/Advent are 100% sure that a repeat of the folio launch is not going to happen - the 18th might not be on :(

I mailed Dixons/PCW to ask if the Advent would have flash from launch and they stated that they had not yet been given the final specs of the device and would not like to speculate on this.

I hope it is out soon and is all it should/could be. Toshiba really would be shamed then.

I Suspect they (Toshiba/PCW staff) will all be whistling, looking furtive and saying "Toshiba folio, what’s that? Never heard of it. Would you like to buy an 8gig SD card for £49. No! ok your loss - see ya!"

I strongly advise anyone who has brought one to return it, i took mine back to pc world and was told that a mass mail has been sent to both pc world and currys in order to raise the price to £999 so that no one would purchase it. Apparently toshiba had passed this message on, due to a problem with the battery etc but anyone who owns one will know that the problem are far greater than just this. Funny thing was that when i took it out of the bag, the guy behind the counter siad "not another one!"

bisto321

Aug 26, 2009
I strongly advise anyone who has brought one to return it, i took mine back to pc world and was told that a mass mail has been sent to both pc world and currys in order to raise the price to £999 so that no one would purchase it. Apparently toshiba had passed this message on, due to a problem with the battery etc but anyone who owns one will know that the problem are far greater than just this. Funny thing was that when i took it out of the bag, the guy behind the counter siad "not another one!"

Pop over to MoDaCo for a look at this pic;
android.modaco.com/content-page/322155/toshiba-folio-100-rooted-no-market-yet/page/80/

This shows a screen grab from PC Worlds in store system - it's official the Folio is effectively withdrawn. Nice one Toshiba - way to launch a product!

Print it out and then let them try and argue a refund!

makakiel

Nov 6, 2007
Paris
Angry birds is not working right not developed for a 10" screen!
accelerometer work on 2 axe why ? they do it like tht maybe!

rovex

Nov 13, 2008
I had a 30 minute play with one the other day before the withdraw. I have to say its one of the worst devices i have ever seen.

The software was slow, unhelpful, and with no market very restricted. It FC'ed apps all the time.

It was extremely ugly. How can you make a 12 inch slab of glass so vile?

Cheaply made doesnt even cover it. The buttons are horribly made.

It was next to a Galaxy Tab which looked 100% better and was much smoother.

Greenie-UK

Nov 3, 2010
Kingston Upon Hull
Had the folio about a week. Took it back today because tbh its a pretty bad piece of kit. Screen viewing angles are the worst I've seen. The battery is poor and Toshiba froyo build was incredibly slow and buggy. Will wait to see what advent can do with the vega or wait for Android 3.0 tabs next year.

Edit : also massive shout out to you guys who noticed Toshiba pulled it off the shelves. Currys where arguing the point saying it wasn't faulty and there was no recall etc..u gave me the ammo to use and get a refund ;-)

Last edited:

bisto321

Aug 26, 2009
Just seen that PC world have had to call a halt to filming of the last Christmas commercial staring C3PO and R2D2!

It seems the R2 unit employed for this commercial suddenly became unresponsive and failed to respond to any input?

Tech advisers for the shoot suspect that ‘R2’ accidentally tethered himself to a Toshiba Folio and downloaded its ROM. On the plus side, he is now able to play Flash on his projection unit thanks to the leaked upgrade last week…………….

Sorry could not resist it :) No more folio baiting - Toshiba won't like me and I wont get a christmas card.

shawnfr

Aug 21, 2010
I guess it must just be me...I'm typing this on the Folio in Firefox with pinch zoom and I actually like it :)
Seriously I did get it for Mum, but it isn't ready for that...but Flash and using it as a dev box it really isn't so bad.
I've built a kernel and I'm working towards a new wpa_supplicant and wifi driver to try and overrride the MAC address Google problem.
Yeah the software is Beta and the screen has a poor viewing angle...but more importantly it isn't an iPad :)

bisto321

Aug 26, 2009
I guess it must just be me...I'm typing this on the Folio in Firefox with pinch zoom and I actually like it :)
Seriously I did get it for Mum, but it isn't ready for that...but Flash and using it as a dev box it really isn't so bad.
I've built a kernel and I'm working towards a new wpa_supplicant and wifi driver to try and overrride the MAC address Google problem.
Yeah the software is Beta and the screen has a poor viewing angle...but more importantly it isn't an iPad :)

You are right it is not that bad. As I just said in a post on MoDaCo;

This platform combination of tegra2 and android are great and the Toshiba could and should have been great - I really think they made a mess of this and the only way you can show these large corporations that they did not do well is to either not buy the product or return it when it is not right - the bottom line is where the execs look to see how they are doing and seeing no sales or loads of refunds will get their attention.

I can see why lots of owners will keep theirs - it’s not that bad, but for me, with those specs and that price, it just did not sit comfortably with me.

Keep up the good work - it is people like you who make these devices great.

It is just a shame that Toshiba could not have made it a bit better for those of us non Dev types that want to use it until better things are developed in these communities.
One point though – it is not an ipad, but it does need to give the same type of user experience to catch on and really sell – the Tosh failed to do this.
As a first attempt it is not bad, but I would have thought this would be the Advent we were all talking about and we and were waiting for the better Toshiba to arrive, who would of thought it is (possibly) the other way round?

supagforce

Jun 29, 2008
Had the folio about a week. Took it back today because tbh its a pretty bad piece of kit. Screen viewing angles are the worst I've seen. The battery is poor and Toshiba froyo build was incredibly slow and buggy. Will wait to see what advent can do with the vega or wait for Android 3.0 tabs next year.

Edit : also massive shout out to you guys who noticed Toshiba pulled it off the shelves. Currys where arguing the point saying it wasn't faulty and there was no recall etc..u gave me the ammo to use and get a refund ;-)

:mad: Can't believe that S£$& excuse the laguage, this is what im talking about Currys just making themselves look bad, they fully know it's faults as i was talking to one of the workers there about the state of tablets being released. Glad you got your refund, i would have pulled it out of the bag and say "Hear FU%^&*% use it then...." They all know they messed up and are trying to hide it now... thank god for the internet!!!

mkkilcruit

Nov 15, 2010
here you go guys was able to get this with androzip this is the flash apk that was on the service station this morning, Hope it works for you all please leave feedback :D
Hi i am new to android system. I have the folio 100 and am very happy with it. Got fed up wainting for flash update and have downloaded the rar file thanks. Could you please tell me where to put the file on my folio in order to install it. would it be ok to put it on sd card and then open it.

mkkilcruit

Nov 15, 2010
Hi thank you
I now have working flash. Cant believe that this file is not being made availabe to eveyone by toshiba.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Flash APK from folio 100!!

here you go guys was able to get this with androzip this is the flash apk that was on the service station this morning, Hope it works for you all please leave feedback :D
    I just got myself an AC100 (more interested in the smartbook form factor than the tablet one). Since the AC100 basically is a Folio with pysical keyboard and no touch input, will it be possible to use the info given here also for the AC100?

basically, no. The tegra processor is the same, and maybe some of the other chips are the same, but the partition layout of the internal disk is completely different. I've not seen anyone do very much with android on it (and that is only 2.1 still), most of the dev effort there is in full linux ports, and understanding how the binary nvidia drivers can be used. Do not try and use any folio images on your ac100, you will only have to do a complete re-flash of the entire drive - including the scary parts. modaco has an ac100 section.