[Q] Safe to upgrade my system after rooting?

Search This thread

whitebabylon

May 15, 2013
Greetings,
The first week or so S4 was out I had gotten one and rooted it. Not very long after that a 'System update downloaded - touch to install' has been on my phone. Many many months later I have decided to finally ask if it is OK to go ahead and update my system and if not to the latest update, then to which? And if I can let my phone automatically do it or if I need to be careful.

I'm afraid I don't remember how I rooted my phone. It was a 1-click exe I believe.

Here is some information that may help.
Android ver: 4.2.2
kernal ver: 3.40- Sat apr 27 2013
software ver: L720VPUAMDL
Hardware Ver: L720.08

Please let me know if you need more information to help me.

Thanks!

leaderbuilder

Greetings,
The first week or so S4 was out I had gotten one and rooted it. Not very long after that a 'System update downloaded - touch to install' has been on my phone. Many many months later I have decided to finally ask if it is OK to go ahead and update my system and if not to the latest update, then to which? And if I can let my phone automatically do it or if I need to be careful.

I'm afraid I don't remember how I rooted my phone. It was a 1-click exe I believe.

Here is some information that may help.
Android ver: 4.2.2
kernal ver: 3.40- Sat apr 27 2013
software ver: L720VPUAMDL
Hardware Ver: L720.08

Please let me know if you need more information to help me.

Thanks!
IF you take the over the air - OTA update you will be stuck on the MK2 bootloader and will NOT be able to got back to MF9 or earlier if you want/need too. You will trip the Knox counter - read a little and you'll find out what that is; it's been discussed ad naseum..
You can update the firmware without the Knox bootloader as mentioned.
Decide if you care about the Samsung warranty (if you trip the Knox counter you may not be able to have Sammy warranty your device; though Sprint probably will).