**Eris not loading PB00IMG.zip or showing in SDK tool***

Search This thread

Cap'nO

Nov 14, 2011
Washington, D.C.
I searched through the forums for hours and didn't find an example quite like mine (some were close)
Verizon HTC Eris. It's a hand me down.

My friend gave it to me because on normal start up it loads into the 3 Skating Androids screen and goes no further. I don't know how it ended up like that. I wanted to see if I could fix it. All the key combos work (soft boot reset, FASTBOOK start up, HBOOT start up, etc.)

Info:
PB00100 XC SHIP S-ON
MICROP-0111
TOUCH PANEL-MELFAS_45_17
RADIO-2.42.01.04.27
Feb 8 2010, 00:08:56

I can get the phone into stock recovery, don't know if it has the Amon_RA recovery installed.

HBOOT doesn't recognize the PB00IMG.zip (I downloaded the Eris_RootROM_v2.19.605.1_PB00IMG.zip, copied it to my sd and renamed it PB00IMG.zip) and can't get it to load.

I tried SDK but command line "adb devices" list nothing. "adb shell" doesn't work either.

I can run RUU_Desire_C_Verizon_WWE_2.36.605.1_release_signed_with_driver when my phone is in FASTBOOT mode. It's says I have 2.37.605.4 ROM on my phone but will not go any further than that.

When I hook the USB up to my computer, it makes the "USB attached" noise, but I can't see it listed in the removable drives.

Is this a brick??

Again, I searched and read, and searched some more for threads on this problem. Didn't wanna violate the noob rule, because I am a noob.

doogald

May 27, 2010
You don't mention if the HBOOT version is 1.49.0000, but I suspect that it is. If memory serves me well, I believe this is why the root ROM PB00IMG file will not load - it will only install over 1.46.0000 or 1.47.0000.

Since you S-ON, Fastboot mode isn't going to help you with much that's useful. That requires S-OFF (which, of course, the root ROM would give you, if you could install it.)

The RUU would not install, I think, because it recognized that you have a newer version of the Eris already installed. This is probably a good sign, though.

I assume that you tried the hard reset of the Eris? http://www.technipages.com/hard-reset-htc-droid-eris.html

1. With the phone turned off, press and hold the Volume Down, Send (green phone) and Power buttons. The device will turn on. Keep holding down the keys unto you see a screen to clear storage.
  2. Press the track ball.
  3. Follow the instructions to complete the hard reset.

See if that works.

Cap'nO

Nov 14, 2011
Washington, D.C.
You don't mention if the HBOOT version is 1.49.0000, but I suspect that it is. If memory serves me well, I believe this is why the root ROM PB00IMG file will not load - it will only install over 1.46.0000 or 1.47.0000.

Since you S-ON, Fastboot mode isn't going to help you with much that's useful. That requires S-OFF (which, of course, the root ROM would give you, if you could install it.)

The RUU would not install, I think, because it recognized that you have a newer version of the Eris already installed. This is probably a good sign, though.

I assume that you tried the hard reset of the Eris?

See if that works.

Did as instructed and got the following:

PB00100 XC SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-1.49.0000 (PB0010000)
MICROP-0111
TOUCH PANEL-MELFAS_45_17
RADIO-2.42.01.04.27
Feb 8 2010, 00:08:56

CLEARSTORAGE
Delete all user data?
<Action>Yes

[I pressed trackball]

Clear.....
Restore NV Okay.
Done
Reboot after 5 seconds

black screen (2 seconds or so)

Restart back to 3 skating androids..that it
:confused:

doogald

May 27, 2010
I'm not sure if this will work, but in this thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=909921

Find the PB00IMG.zip file for "[ 2.36.605.1 ] a.k.a. "Leak-V3" (or MR3/"Official" RUU)" (not the RUU, but the Eris_LeakV3_v2.36.605.1_PB00IMG.ZIP. Rename it to PB00IMG.zip, copy to the SD card, start HBOOT (hold VolDn while starting up - but I think you know how to do this already) and see if that installs. Since you have a later version on the phone already, it may not.

Cap'nO

Nov 14, 2011
Washington, D.C.
I'm not sure if this will work, but in this thread:

Find the PB00IMG.zip file for "[ 2.36.605.1 ] a.k.a. "Leak-V3" (or MR3/"Official" RUU)" (not the RUU, but the Eris_LeakV3_v2.36.605.1_PB00IMG.ZIP. Rename it to PB00IMG.zip, copy to the SD card, start HBOOT (hold VolDn while starting up - but I think you know how to do this already) and see if that installs. Since you have a later version on the phone already, it may not.

Looks like this one worked...or it got me farther than I've been before. I used the file above and got the progress bar to show up on the top left side. That's never happened before.

You were correct that the version above was too old.But there's good news. The update failed. I tried three (3) fixes:

1) Renamed the 2.36.605.1 file PB00IMG (load it on my laptop using SD adapter, then just rename it), and tried to use HBOOT. It started the blue progress bar in the top left (that's never happened for me so YAY), finished. But, when it was "Checking PB00IMG.zip", it said "Update Failed" and "Version Too Old" or something like that.

2) I tried using

#13 [ Converts 2.37.605.4 -> 2.41.605.6 ] - 5th Eris OTA
ba92bb2e5034.OTA_Desire_C_Verizon_WWE_2.41.605.6-2.37.605.4_release.zip

I renamed this file PB00IMG (did laptop rename process) and got the progress bar in the top left again, and the process finished. This time it went to "Checking PB00IMG" and finished no problem. The bar in the top left disappears, but it stays on the same screen with:
<SEND> FastBoot Mode
<VOL UP> Recovery

I didn't know what to do from here. So just pulled the battery and tried fix #3

3) Renamed the #13 File from Fix 2 above "update" (using laptop rename process). With phone off, held "VOL DWN" and "PWR" button to get into stock recovery mode. I navigated to "install sd update.zip", started it, and got this message:

E: can't open cache/recovery/command

--Install from sdcard...Finding update package...opening update package...verifying update package...installing update...file_getprop: failed to stat "/system/build.prop":No such file or directory
E:error in sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted

Do you think I just need a ROM file or something on the sd card too (besides just the PB00IMG file)? Or should it automatically load something after the PB00IMG status bar and check finishes?

Neither method worked, but I at least got something different. It's getting me farther than I had gotten before. So thanks for the recommendations. Ready to try your next suggestion when you get time. :D

bftb0

Feb 5, 2010
Still needing help....is the tereg recovery the best shot...and how do you do that...

You could try getting the S-OFF bootloader installed using SoSicWiTiT's RUU+"rom.zip" swap-out trick

From there, flash a custom (Amon_RA or variant) recovery to the phone (using the fastboot utility from a PC), and try a ROM install.

BTW, using OTA update files will certainly never work renamed to PB00IMG.zip, and in general they will only work from a stock recovery as "update.zip" IF and ONLY IF the phone is in good working condition and with a precise stock OS version pre-existing on the phone. They can NEVER be used to "repair" a phone, as they are "patch kits" for a specific prior release - not a full installation.

bftb0

Stonent

Apr 14, 2010
jasonthepcmd.blogspot.com
Yeah OTA updates are typically overlays for a previous update in order to keep the size down. I think you'll see a lot of patch files which is sort of like a .diff file and patches the differences.

The RUU when decompressed with a utility like universal extractor will have a real usable zip in it.

Don't worry about the radio at this point unless you suspect you have a damaged radio firmware which you probably shouldn't mess with unless your 110% sure.

Cap'nO

Nov 14, 2011
Washington, D.C.
Thanks bftb0..i thought no one would get back to me. I'm going to try your solution now. Full disclosure, I read it but will need some time to decipher it. I'm a self-admitted noob, but trying to become more proficient.

Cap'nO

Nov 14, 2011
Washington, D.C.
You could try getting the S-OFF bootloader installed using SoSicWiTiT's RUU+"rom.zip" swap-out trick

From there, flash a custom (Amon_RA or variant) recovery to the phone (using the fastboot utility from a PC), and try a ROM install.

BTW, using OTA update files will certainly never work renamed to PB00IMG.zip, and in general they will only work from a stock recovery as "update.zip" IF and ONLY IF the phone is in good working condition and with a precise stock OS version pre-existing on the phone. They can NEVER be used to "repair" a phone, as they are "patch kits" for a specific prior release - not a full installation.

bftb0

This may be funny, but I'm still trying to fix this thing. Trying the "swap method" you mention above. What's the exact file name (2.1) I'm using for this?

Chefslayer

Feb 25, 2013
Possible solution (Troubleshooting)

Looks like this one worked...or it got me farther than I've been before. I used the file above and got the progress bar to show up on the top left side. That's never happened before.

You were correct that the version above was too old.But there's good news. The update failed. I tried three (3) fixes:

1) Renamed the 2.36.605.1 file PB00IMG (load it on my laptop using SD adapter, then just rename it), and tried to use HBOOT. It started the blue progress bar in the top left (that's never happened for me so YAY), finished. But, when it was "Checking PB00IMG.zip", it said "Update Failed" and "Version Too Old" or something like that.

2) I tried using

#13 [ Converts 2.37.605.4 -> 2.41.605.6 ] - 5th Eris OTA
ba92bb2e5034.OTA_Desire_C_Verizon_WWE_2.41.605.6-2.37.605.4_release.zip

I renamed this file PB00IMG (did laptop rename process) and got the progress bar in the top left again, and the process finished. This time it went to "Checking PB00IMG" and finished no problem. The bar in the top left disappears, but it stays on the same screen with:
<SEND> FastBoot Mode
<VOL UP> Recovery

I didn't know what to do from here. So just pulled the battery and tried fix #3

3) Renamed the #13 File from Fix 2 above "update" (using laptop rename process). With phone off, held "VOL DWN" and "PWR" button to get into stock recovery mode. I navigated to "install sd update.zip", started it, and got this message:

E: can't open cache/recovery/command

--Install from sdcard...Finding update package...opening update package...verifying update package...installing update...file_getprop: failed to stat "/system/build.prop":No such file or directory
E:error in sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted

Do you think I just need a ROM file or something on the sd card too (besides just the PB00IMG file)? Or should it automatically load something after the PB00IMG status bar and check finishes?

Neither method worked, but I at least got something different. It's getting me farther than I had gotten before. So thanks for the recommendations. Ready to try your next suggestion when you get time. :D

If you get this kinda of message that the file_getprop then the update zip is corrupt. or its not compatible with the phone you are trying to mount. It took me a bit but I was able to find a good set up. Just take a breathe. If you can install from sdcard from recovery then your recovery is fine. if you can boot it up and at least get a splash screen your boot.img is right. I stress that you dont change those two if you are able to do both of those. All you need is a Good rom that is 1 compatible with your cell and 2 works with both your boot.img and recovery.img. I am guessing you forgot to backup your original settings. MIUI roms are really good and thats what i settled on.

Cap'nO

Nov 14, 2011
Washington, D.C.
Thanks for the reply. I actually got the phone working. Took a while but yes, the ROM was corrupt. And yup, it wax never backed up and was stock in the loop.
Not anymore :)

Sent from my SGH-T959 using xda app-developers app