Rogers magic update freeze/brick

Search This thread

cdstewart

Jan 24, 2010
Vancouver
Hello all,

As many of you know Rogers issued an update for 911 issues and sense ui just recently, unfortunately as I attempted the update via SD card method, the first update seemed to have gone well but after once it wanted to reboot it keeps on splashing the ROGERS over and over.

I'm thinking this is most likely because I am rooted and the process just didn't agree.

I am currently running amon ra's 1.2.3 rec. img
with amon ra's 1.6 rom
32A motherboard

BTW I still get to boot when I hold end+vol down
and when I hold end+home I get amon ra's screen but is quickly taken away after a few seconds.

Any help would be much appreciated.

For the record I think I know the issue, just don't know how to fix it.

You see, instead of getting this:

fa rm5.static.flickr.com/4046/4298577978_f3366c55ae.jpg

(wouldn't let me post a link as I am new)

after "parsing...[SD ZIP]"

I only got

[1] BOOTLOADER
[2] RADIO_V2

help?

Last edited:
R

r3s-rt

good news and bad news.

good news, im pretty damn sure thats not a brick as you can still get into fastboot (the vol down + power)((atleast thats what i think fastboot is))

bad news, i dunno how to fix it.

i know theres a way to revert to original stock ROM via fastboot, so im sure it is fixable. don't know about custom ROMs via fastboot.

bed time, though. good luck, man, and dont get bummed cause im 99% sure you aren't just plain ****ed.

edit: just noticed screenie, but can't see it because my girlfriends retarded wanna-be stepdad decides to look at pr0n all night and continues to install "mywebsearch" **** and i can't get to it. :/

Hopped on my mytouch, still think your good but let someone else who knows more vertify that.

Last edited:

mbk.2k3

Jul 1, 2008
another option

one other thing you can do,

go to a rogers store, and tell them you tried applying the so called essential upgrade 'b/c you care about your safety' and the '911 issue is a important fix'. tell them you recieved instructions to do w/e it is using the SD card method.

basically, you tried the update ---> phone got messed up.

i know someone else did it and it was grounds for them just giving you a new phone.

not saying 100% it'll work, but its worth it b/c you get a new device with the new ROM on it if it does.

goodluck.

dotster

Jun 22, 2009
Toronto
I attempted the update via SD card method

Can you clarify which SD card method? Was it using the official DREAIMG.nbh from Rogers?

I thought that I had bricked my phone because I went for a hail mary attempt to root my phone. But unfortunately it wouldn't get past the Rogers screen.

However, after talking to a CSR, they sent me a link to the Windows 7 file and it rewrote everything back onto my phone and I was able to boot it normally again.

cdstewart

Jan 24, 2010
Vancouver
@r3s-rt

Ya, thanks. I figured I wasn't completely boned. :p

@mbk.2k3

I thought about that but when I go home+end you can see I'm using amon ra, which would mean they know I rooted and therefore void my warranty

@dotster

This is the method,

Upgrade Instructions for Rogers HTC Magic
Requirements:
Rogers Magic
Battery Level of 50% or more. Do not start upgrade if battery level less than 50%
MicroSD card formatted in FAT32, please note cards formatted in FAT will not work.
Installing the Update via MicroSD Card:
Part1
The first part will prepare the device for the actual update but will not upgrade the Operating System, the upgrade itself will be performed in Part2.
1) Download the HTC_Magic_Update_File1.zip and extract the file within, SAPPIMG.zip to the root of the memory card in this form, do not extract it’s contents and please do not change the file name.
2) Backup your personal data: All personal data (contacts, applications, photos, bookmarks, etc) stored on the device will be lost after the update process. There are also 3rd party applications on Android Market place to back up your applications and personal data.
3) Power off the device.
4) Remove the existing microSD card from your device (if there is one already installed), press in on the microSD Card to eject it and then remove it from the slot.

Insert the microSD card with the SAPPIMG.zip on it in the microSD slot, slide it into the slot until you feel a “clickâ€.

5) Press and hold the Volume Down Button and the Power buttons until the display turns white.

6) The update will begin installing, please follow any onscreen instructions, press the trackball when prompted to press “Actionâ€

7. Once the update is complete, “Press Action to Complete†will be displayed on the screen, press the TrackBall for the device to reboot and complete the first part of the upgrade process.
8. Power off the device to prepare for the step 2 below.
Part 2
Upgrading the device.
1) Delete the SAPPIMG.zip from the microSD card
2) Download the HTC_Magic_Update_File2.zip and extract the file within, SAPPIMG.zip to the root of the memory card in this form, do not extract it’s contents. Please do not change the file name.
3) Follow the same instructions as in Part 1 - step 3 TO 8.
4) Delete the SAPPIMG.zip file from the card.

Keep in mind this is magic and not dream

Thanks for the help guys.

Last edited:

FoTwoZero

Dec 24, 2008
Toronto
Hello all,

As many of you know Rogers issued an update for 911 issues and sense ui just recently, unfortunately as I attempted the update via SD card method, the first update seemed to have gone well but after once it wanted to reboot it keeps on splashing the ROGERS over and over.

I'm thinking this is most likely because I am rooted and the process just didn't agree.

I am currently running amon ra's 1.2.3 rec. img
with amon ra's 1.6 rom
32A motherboard

BTW I still get to boot when I hold end+vol down
and when I hold end+home I get amon ra's screen but is quickly taken away after a few seconds.

Any help would be much appreciated.

For the record I think I know the issue, just don't know how to fix it.

You see, instead of getting this:

fa rm5.static.flickr.com/4046/4298577978_f3366c55ae.jpg

(wouldn't let me post a link as I am new)

after "parsing...[SD ZIP]"

I only got

[1] BOOTLOADER
[2] RADIO_V2

help?

I had the same problem while installing the new update yesterday. I had to call Rogers to guide me through it and even he couldn't figure it out. My phone just kept rebooting over and over after installing the first update. Even in recovery mode it didn't give me a chance to wipe, flash or restore anything because it would reboot in a matter of 2 seconds. The tech support guy on the phone had no idea what to do. I finally realised that I had a seperate Mini SDcard USB adapter that I could put my SDcard in and then plug into the USB. That allowed me to access my SDcard so I was able to delete the first SAPPIMG and then put the new SAPPIMG from the second update onto the SDcard. I repeated the same process from the first update (I was able to access fastboot without it rebooting), everything installed perfectly and now the phone is up and running great. If you don't have a Mini SDcard to USB adapter I'd suggest picking one up at your nearest Electronics store. I believe I picked mine up at BestBuy for $35 which came with a 4gb class 4 SDcard. The adapter is so small that it actually sits on my key-chain. Hope this helps.

Rogers Magic
Radio: 6.35.10.18
SPL: 1.76.0010
(unrooted) :mad:

Chynkinese

Jan 18, 2010
Ottawa
@mbk.2k3

I thought about that but when I go home+end you can see I'm using amon ra, which would mean they know I rooted and therefore void my warranty

if you're desperate it's worth a try. maybe it's just my personal experience with them but i have a feeling most of the rogers reps/techs wouldn't know/care enough.

FoTwoZero

Dec 24, 2008
Toronto
@FoTwoZero

Thanks that sounds just like mine.
I'll give it a shot.

Were you rooted before?

I was rooted before, this is why I'm sure I've had the same problem as many of you. It seems though that this issue doesn't just stop at us... This issue has been happening with many other carriers and I'm not sure why (as of yet). I've flashed dozens of other Sense ROM's and even ROM's without Sense for ei. Espresso and Eclair and they all worked fine before. This new Sense ROM from Rogers is fantastic. So try what I did and you should be on your way with no issues.

Now if only we can root this damn phone.:mad:

Rogers HTC Magic (32A)
HBoot - 1.76.0010
Radio - 6.35.10.18

FoTwoZero

Dec 24, 2008
Toronto
if you're desperate it's worth a try. maybe it's just my personal experience with them but i have a feeling most of the rogers reps/techs wouldn't know/care enough.

After the update your phone won't be rooted anymore, therefor your warranty will still be in effect. After flashing the first update it already changes your SPL and Radio therefor Rogers wouldn`t know if you were rooted prior to the update. If you stuck in the boot loop just follow my instructions and you will be home free.

Now if only we can root this damn phone.:mad:

Rogers HTC Magic (32a)
HBoot - 1.76.0010
Radio - 6.35.10.18

cdstewart

Jan 24, 2010
Vancouver
@FoTwoZero

Just did what you did and I'm up and running!
Thanks

I think they did misname the updates though.

Because in the instructions given, and picture above correspond to the 2nd zip file.

FoTwoZero

Dec 24, 2008
Toronto
@FoTwoZero

Just did what you did and I'm up and running!
Thanks

I think they did misname the updates though.

Because in the instructions given, and picture above correspond to the 2nd zip file.

Happy to hear that I could help. They did misname the files but how could you blame someone who goes by the name of Rogers. I have several services with them and it's nothing but headaches with them.

I'm sure it was a rushed update as well. The devs at HTC were probably pressed for time to get this update up and out the door within a couple of days. Rogers will possibly be a major distributor for them in the next upcoming years.