[Q] Best case for underwater photos?

Search This thread

gio2005

Sep 8, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
I'm going to be taking my family to the Caribbean this October and I was hoping to take some nice underwater photos while I am there. While I know that water and electricity don't mix, I was just wondering if anyone has extensively used/tested any waterproof cases. I'm looking for suggestions.

I've looked through many of the threads but many posts seem to be from people like me looking for a case. I get weary with cases like this, because if the case fails, i'm out the money it costs to replace my phone.

I'm looking for something that I can uses to take plenty of underwater shots, I see the rating on many of these cases as to how long they can stay under. Is this total time or how long it can stay under per session? At this point, I'm probably more comfortable just buying some disposable underwater cameras, or dropping a few hundred on a go-pro camera.

Please let me know of any good/bad experiences you've had with waterproof cases for the Note 3

Nanaya Shiki

Jul 18, 2014
I would actually highly consider a GoPro.

My friend uses it to take pictures and videos of his aquarium life and it works great.

If you think about it from a risk standpoint:

If the Note 3 case fails:
- You are out the cost of the Note 3 (Anywhere from $400 - $500)
- If the case works past the warranty period, then fails you later, you will be out the cost of the case ($15-$50~)

If you get the Go-Pro:
- You paid $200~ for the camera and $60~ for the dive housing. The device + case is proven to work underwater and you can rest easy unless you make a mistake in the case attachment.
- You will have a versatile camera that can be used for various situations the Note 3 would not be suitable for such as mounting on a helmet while biking or action shots in a rugged terrain. Having the option may broaden your horizons and open you up to trying new, fun things.

I just don't think it's worth the risk to use your Note 3. You are risking it as both your Phone and your only Camera to use it underwater.

Just my 2 cents.

Reactions: gio2005

corvettesky

Mar 16, 2012

My friend uses it to take pictures and videos of his aquarium life and it works great.

- If the case works past the warranty period, then fails you later, you will be out the cost of the case ($15-$50~)

If you get the Go-Pro:
- You paid $200~ for the camera and $60~ for the dive housing. The device + case is proven to work underwater and you can rest easy unless you make a mistake in the case attachment.
- You will have a versatile camera that can be used for various situations the Note 3 would not be suitable for such as mounting on a helmet while biking or action shots in a rugged terrain. Having the option may broaden your horizons and open you up to trying new, fun things.

I just don't think it's worth the risk to use your Note 3. You are risking it as both your Phone and your only Camera to use it underwater.

Just my 2 cents.

+1 - I will not trust my phone to any "water proof" case. I havent seen any one good.
There is Love Mei Waterproof Metal Case, but I sugget to use one of those sealed plastic bag like on top of it.

Reactions: gio2005

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

If you get the Go-Pro:

Just my 2 cents.

If you get the Go-Pro:

Just my 2 cents.

+1 - I will not trust my phone to any "water proof" case. I havent seen any one good.
    There is Love Mei Waterproof Metal Case, but I sugget to use one of those sealed plastic bag like on top of it.