[Release] PSXPeria: Native PSX Emulator ISO Converter

Search This thread

feioso

Sep 18, 2010
I check this everyday as well, and ready to donate for this project... Im shure lots of others are avaiable as well...

I think psx4droid&FPSe needs lots off SD card space saving the .bin's files...

PSXPeria is great for running PSX games... less space, and perfect emulation... I played tekken in psx4droid and FPSe and game dont run as well as I tried medievel on PSXPeria...

Your project is GREAT

yifanlu

Aug 1, 2011
Thanks for the kind words guys, but as I've said, I don't have much free time and my other projects take priority because I've looked at the pssuite emulator and there was little change. When I say there isn't much interest, I don't mean you enthusiasts. There are maybe 20 or so of you. In addition, more than half the people who promised to pay the original bounty still did not do so. Now, I'm not asking for more support or more donations (in fact don't), as that wouldn't make me magically interested again, but I'm just stating some facts. Don't worry, I will write the patch one day, but I have many other projects that I am working on right now.

Reactions: feioso and ps3taker
Thanks for the kind words guys, but as I've said, I don't have much free time and my other projects take priority because I've looked at the pssuite emulator and there was little change. When I say there isn't much interest, I don't mean you enthusiasts. There are maybe 20 or so of you. In addition, more than half the people who promised to pay the original bounty still did not do so. Now, I'm not asking for more support or more donations (in fact don't), as that wouldn't make me magically interested again, but I'm just stating some facts. Don't worry, I will write the patch one day, but I have many other projects that I am working on right now.

You're a dev that keeps up on things & that keeps us enthusiasts interested. Thanks for you not forgetting about something you've started. :)

feioso

Sep 18, 2010

Hey... sorry to disagree with you...

- Not kind words... its for real... see the stats for yourself of this topic:
Replies: 903
Views: 110,481

- Wrong again: we are not enthusiasts... this was the reason I bouth Xperia Play... To play my old disc's of psx... Its true: I can use other emulators, but really, they are not half as good as yours... (sorry... I don't want to offense your job, but its true: PSX4droid&FPSxe dont run as smoth and so well as PSXPeria).

- Once again, we are not only 20... I think I can speak for 90% off Xperia Play users, when I say, we want to play our favorites games in our phone...

I understand you have other projects, but I only think you arent seeing the huge off this one... I REALLY REALLY REALLY can't remmember, other best reason for using my play...

I still can say, I can donate before you start doing it... I think others can do it as well...

Other thing... I own still some few disc's off psx, but I cant play it, because psx is broken... But I paid for those games, thats a fact, and still have them... So, Sony Ericsson advertise that we can play psx classics... but they send a patch blocking the best way&native emulator for doing it? Is this fair?
Sony give us very few classics avaible and they block the emulator?
Worst off all, they say we can play our classics, but for doing it, we have to PAY TWICE for the same game to play it propely?... I already own Medieval and I have to pay again to play exactly the same game?!?!

Cant we all complain to Sony to see if they patch this back again?

Cat_On_Droid

Aug 13, 2011
No. Just because you may use it for legal reasons (owning the physical copy) doesn't mean everyone else will. Use fpse for the time being

Sent from my R800i using XDA App

feioso

Sep 18, 2010
No. Just because you may use it for legal reasons (owning the physical copy) doesn't mean everyone else will. Use fpse for the time being

I tried fpse and dont like it...

Hey... this will not stop piracy... I can still get a copy off illegal roms on the net and play it as well...

Im only saying isnt fair to pay twice for Medieval for example... Its one off the games that I own&pay for... Piracy will always be there, and blocking us for playing our own games proprely, isnt Anti-Piracy police... is something else... is wrong publicity

bubblegumballoon

May 8, 2011
Swansea
I tried fpse and dont like it...

Hey... this will not stop piracy... I can still get a copy off illegal roms on the net and play it as well...

Im only saying isnt fair to pay twice for Medieval for example... Its one off the games that I own&pay for... Piracy will always be there, and blocking us for playing our own games proprely, isnt Anti-Piracy police... is something else... is wrong publicity

What about with game consoles, if you bought a game for xbox 360 it doesn't mean you are entitled to a free version of the same game on the PS3. Its costs sony time and money to port older games over to a newer platform, why would they bother paying a team to do it just to give away the games for free? They wouldn't.

feioso

Sep 18, 2010
What about with game consoles, if you bought a game for xbox 360 it doesn't mean you are entitled to a free version of the same game on the PS3. Its costs sony time and money to port older games over to a newer platform, why would they bother paying a team to do it just to give away the games for free? They wouldn't.

I can play PSX games on some PS3 models.... And I dont have to pay more... Exactly because I already paid for the games and the device itself... when you advertise you can play your old games, and for first you only put 6 or 10 classic games avaiable, and second you have to pay twice for the same game, its wrong publicity...

Another example (I didnt had it confirmed)... but PS2 can play PS1 games as well... again, you already bouthg the device, and the game... no need to pay more for same thing...

So, its facts:

- They adverstise we can play psx games, but we have no games avaiable...
- Also, they blocked us, from playing our own games...

I dont think this is correct or even etical or fair...

Im not complaing about paying for games that I dont own... put them avaible and im glad to buy some old classics... Im complaing about beeing blocked to play MY GAMES proprely... I bouthg Xplay thinking on that...

EDIT: And your example dont apply to this... Im not begging for playing PSP games... I know I cant, before I buy a play... Im begging to play MY games, on compatible device, and advertised also we can...

Last edited:

bubblegumballoon

May 8, 2011
Swansea
I can play PSX games on some PS3 models.... And I dont have to pay more... Exactly because I already paid for the games and the device itself... when you advertise you can play your old games, and for first you only put 6 or 10 classic games avaiable, and second you have to pay twice for the same game, its wrong publicity...

Another example (I didnt had it confirmed)... but PS2 can play PS1 games as well... again, you already bouthg the device, and the game... no need to pay more for same thing...

So, its facts:

- They adverstise we can play psx games, but we have no games avaiable...
- Also, they blocked us, from playing our own games...

I dont think this is correct or even etical or fair...

Im not complaing about paying for games that I dont own... put them avaible and im glad to buy some old classics... Im complaing about beeing blocked to play MY GAMES proprely... I bouthg Xplay thinking on that...

EDIT: And your example dont apply to this... Im not begging for playing PSP games... I know I cant, before I buy a play... Im begging to play MY games, on compatible device, and advertised also we can...

You can play them for free on the PS2 and PS3 because you can use the original disks. The Xperia play doesn't have a disk drive and theres no way sony could possibly know if you owned the original games or not.

The reason there are a lack of games is because sony cant just put every PS1 game on the playstation pocket store, they need to come to some sort of agreement with the original publisher of that game, thats why FF7 took so long to pop up on PSN even though it was a heavily requested game. Also creating a PS1 emulator for android is alot harder than making one for the PS3, the PS3 has alot of brute power so it doesnt need to be optimised for speed where as on the xperia play 1ghz is the bare minimun speed you need to play a PS1 game smoothly. And the PS2 runs PS1 games with hardware so thats why it works so well despite its low specs.

And they dont block you from playing your own games, if they wanted to do that then FPse would have disappeared from the android market a long time ago.

swebosdev

Aug 30, 2011
Umm guys this is sony we are talking about. Kings of removing features they advertise to you. Anyone remeber the ps3 linux fiasco? And when someone worked to bring back said feature, the sued him and got him arrested. Google a guy name graf

Cat_On_Droid

Aug 13, 2011
Nobody used linux, I never knew it existed before the removal. I bet only 2% of people bought the ps3 because of linux. And honestly it didn't affect us at all. People who complained where kids/biased fanboys -_-

What bubble said in his 2 posts were absolutely correct btw. I don't like it either but I have fpse so I'm okay. Don't like fpse? Well too bad you can't play all those psone games at the moment on psxperia

Last edited:

bubblegumballoon

May 8, 2011
Swansea
The way I see it is that when you buy a device you buy it for the way it currently is not the way it might be in the future, The xperia play can handle all my emulators perfectly and honestly thats all I really care about.

The only issue I had when I first got the phone is that there wasn't enough buttons to play n64 games but now that pauls emulator is out that issue has been fixed with touch pad support.

And tbh theres not THAT many games that absolutely require you to have analog sticks to play them, yes it would be nice to have the option to use them with emulators like FPse but they are by no means required.

Also when ICS is released for the xperia play yonghz said he can then implement touch pad support into n64oid without limiting the android version this probably means shtruck could do the same for FPse too and that means yifanlu wouldn't need to crack sonys native emulator anymore. :)

yifanlu

Aug 1, 2011
Hey... sorry to disagree with you...

- Not kind words... its for real... see the stats for yourself of this topic:
Replies: 903
Views: 110,481

- Wrong again: we are not enthusiasts... this was the reason I bouth Xperia Play... To play my old disc's of psx... Its true: I can use other emulators, but really, they are not half as good as yours... (sorry... I don't want to offense your job, but its true: PSX4droid&FPSxe dont run as smoth and so well as PSXPeria).

- Once again, we are not only 20... I think I can speak for 90% off Xperia Play users, when I say, we want to play our favorites games in our phone...

I understand you have other projects, but I only think you arent seeing the huge off this one... I REALLY REALLY REALLY can't remmember, other best reason for using my play...

I still can say, I can donate before you start doing it... I think others can do it as well...

Other thing... I own still some few disc's off psx, but I cant play it, because psx is broken... But I paid for those games, thats a fact, and still have them... So, Sony Ericsson advertise that we can play psx classics... but they send a patch blocking the best way&native emulator for doing it? Is this fair?
Sony give us very few classics avaible and they block the emulator?
Worst off all, they say we can play our classics, but for doing it, we have to PAY TWICE for the same game to play it propely?... I already own Medieval and I have to pay again to play exactly the same game?!?!

Cant we all complain to Sony to see if they patch this back again?

I'm not going to argue any more about this because it's pointless, but view counts don't really show much. If one person visits the thread 100,000 times, it will say 100,000. And half the replies are made by me. And still, half the people who said they will pay money for the ability to run PSX games on the play are suddenly quiet. The truth is, that most people have FPse and psx4droid, which are pretty good. I'm not saying I'll stop work on psxperia, just slow work.

nickzero

Jul 14, 2011
I was going to buy one. But not just for linux. It would be awesome to have but since they removed it I don't see the point of going out of my way to buy another console.

Sent from my R800i using XDA Premium App

tezlewis1988

Jun 15, 2012
I have got crash using psxperia, but it doesnt show in full screen in 'full screen mode' it has black border lines but the original apk which was preinstalled was able to be in full screen with no borders, i dont understand this!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PLEASE, PLEASE post all your issues and bug reports regarding the converter at github. https://github.com/yifanlu/PSXperia/issues Also, include detailed information such as a copy of the converter output, android's logcat, etc. If your bug is reported already, make a comment with your system information and logs on the issue so I know multiple people are experiencing it.

Links

Stuff that's done
    • Reversed engineered all propriety formats (image.ps,zpak,toc,etc)
    • Extracted and decrypted emulator binary
    • Mapped out important functions
    • Patched TOC functions to load unencrypted tables (wrapper library)
    • Tool to extract image.ps into an ISO
    • Tool to convert an ISO to image.ps
    • Tool to generate modified APK with wrapper library, custom text, icon, and data (converter backend)
    • Tool to extract Crash Bandicoot and patch some files for the converter
    • Command line interface (frontend)
    • GUI (frontend)
    • Remove requirement for "aapt" and "jarsigner" in PATH.
    • Bug bashing

Stuff for the future (no promises)
    • Load gamedata/icon into converter from XML file (name,titleid,etc)
    • Batch convert
    • Multidisk
    • Game manual

Check out this guide if you are having any problems. It contains a detailed usage directions, some guidelines for settings, and troubleshooting advice. If you still can't get it working, submit a bug report here.

https://github.com/yifanlu/PSXperia
    Binary: https://github.com/downloads/yifanlu/PSXperia/psxperia-beta-1.zip

First beta release. I've finished the extractor and the command line interface. It is now useable (although buggy). Once everything works, I'll coat it with a GUI.

First of all, I suggest everyone turn on verbose output with -v when running so when something goes wrong, you can send me a huge logfile.

I've listed the directions to use in the readme, but if you want some even friendly ones... Make an empty folder called "psxperia" or something copy the following files to it.

1) Copy the PSXperia tool JAR (PSXperiaTool.jar) to the folder
    2) Copy the Crash bandicoot APK there too (europe, r800i: com.sony.playstation.ncea00344_1.apk; usa, r800x: com.sony.playstation.ncua94900_1.apk) found in /system/app, use adb pull
    3) Copy the Crash Bandicoot data ZPAK also (access the phone's sdcard, it's under "Android/data/com.sony.playstation.ncea00344_1|ncua94900_1)
    4) Now run the following to extract the apk
    Code:
    java -jar PSXperiaTool.jar x -v com.sony.playstation.ncea00344_1.apk NCEA00344_1_1.zpak data
    (Change to the USA APK/zpak if you have it)
    5) Copy your game's ISO image, let's call it game.iso
    6) Run
    Code:
    java -jar PSXperiaTool.jar c --game-name "Game Name" --icon-file icon.png NCXA00000_1 game.iso output
    Change NCXA00000_1 to an unique identifier, it's the game's title id. Something like NCUA12345_1. It doesn't matter what goes here, just for better organizing.
    If you don't have icon.png, you can leave that part out and get the default android icon, or make a 170x170 PNG with the game's cover.
    7) You now get a "output" folder. In there, you'll find the APK, which you will install, and a "data" folder that should be merged with the "Android/data" folder on your SD card.

Oh, and you should set your phone to allow applications from unknown sources.

Please copy the entire console output when you get an error and send it to me.

And I never done Java GUI programming before, so I'm going to learn it.
    IT'S DONE!

I'm uploading a youtube video right now of the Play running Crash Bandicoot 3. Now I just need to write the GUI. No more then a day for that. As much as I hate Java in every way, I feel like it would be the easiest way of making a multi-platform tool. I'll also do a final writeup on my site in a couple of days.

EDIT: Video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6sV0rXHBekQ
    I'm releasing the update after pssuite comes out. I'm betting that a better emulator will be out as they will release more games.
    Ok, finally an update:

I've got the new emulator (1.0.3, found on the 2.3.4 update). It was pretty hard, not gonna to lie. There was 3 new protection.
    1) All function names and etc in the emulator binary are gone, I had to reconstruct the them from the older version based on what the functions do and what they import. That was to prevent poking around.
    2) No more binary 1 decrypting and loading binary 2 which calls bin 1 to give the image_ps_toc (decrypted). They're all in one binary file. Good news is that the actual emulator is no longer encrypted (but all the symbols are gone :( ). Bad news is that image_ps_toc is still encrypted and inside the binary. No more hooking the function when bin 2 asks bin 1 for the toc.
    3) The emulator validates the header of the game it's loading. It refuses to load any game other then "crash bandicoot"

So the million dollar question: has compatibility improved? Short answer: nope. Long answer: maybe. I don't have that many games. So far I've only tested the first few minutes of Castlevania. The characters are still black and you can't see the health bar, but the dialogue text is no longer buggy. This means at least, the emulator IS updated, but not as much as I hoped.

I am not going to release the new version of the tool yet. Mainly because I had to do some tricks that may turn out to decrease compatibility (not sure). I also don't want my new method to be patched until we get a better emulator. Now, if there's any completely broken games that you want me to check, post a screenshot of how broken it looks and I'll post a screenshot of how it looks on the new emulator.

Oh, and I don't know about tablet compatibility yet, but if someone gives me a Sony tablet, I'll get it working ;)