Verizon To End Unlimited Data For Upgraders

Search This thread

bvsbutthd101

Aug 27, 2011
Correct me if I'm wrong..
When the CEO made his statement he said when unlimited 3g upgrade there phone. they will have to upgrade to the 4g family data plan...(when it comes out)
He said nothing about current 4g unlimited customers ....

SENT FROM THE DOG POUND

That's what I got from the statement. But if it turns out us 4g phone owners get screwed, I'm just sticking with buying used phones.

Reactions: cujo6801

emtee_skull

May 6, 2011

kvswim

Mar 25, 2011
Fort Worth, TX
I have contacts within telecommunications...it's unlikely to happen.

Here's a CTIA article.

"Verizon, AT&T take steps to fend off phone subsidies"

"Verizon Communications said Thursday that its 4G subscribers could hang on to their unlimited data plans if they pay full price for a smartphone when their contracts expire. Similarly, AT&T Mobility chief Ralph de la Vega told an investor meeting Thursday that the carrier would try to lower phone subsidies "in every case that we can." He also said that AT&T would seek to increase its margins by allowing subscribers to share their data use between smartphones and tablets. Wall Street Journal, The (05/17) Reuters (05/17) CNET (05/17)"

Sent from my SCH-I510 using xda premium

Last edited:

JihadSquad

Oct 5, 2011
Madison, WI
xdaforums.com

Here's a CTIA article.

"Verizon Communications said Thursday that its 4G subscribers could hang on to their unlimited data plans if they pay full price for a smartphone when their contracts expire. Similarly, AT&T Mobility chief Ralph de la Vega told an investor meeting Thursday that the carrier would try to lower phone subsidies "in every case that we can." He also said that AT&T would seek to increase its margins by allowing subscribers to share their data use between smartphones and tablets. Wall Street Journal, The (05/17) Reuters (05/17) CNET (05/17)"

So when the iPhone came out AT&T jacked up rates in order to subsidize the phone on a 2 year contract and everyone else followed. Now they are taking away subsidies but keeping the rates up... in return for keeping our current plans?

woolster22

Nov 8, 2010
Depends on how much you use and what the pricing structure is. It's all garbage though. Increasing profits is the bottom line, I'd be interested in seeing what big red took home at the end of the day.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

mattybaby

Nov 7, 2006
forced on tiered plan for insurance phone replacement?

Here's a CTIA article.

If I am paying $6 per month for insurance and my phone breaks after this become in effect, will I be forced on a tiered plan since my replacement will most likely not be a charge since it is no longer made?

If yes, would it makes sense to cancel the $6 per month for insurance and buy a 2nd used charge phone to be stored in the closet until my current one breaks?

Thanks!

Reactions: xdadevnube

shrike1978

Jun 28, 2011
Atlanta, GA
An insurance claim is not an upgrade. It's only an upgrade if you use an available upgrade for a discounted phone and sign a new contract.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: mattybaby

Antoneus1231

May 27, 2012
Not to mention that the insurance co wants the "broken" device returned to them. That is how asurion works anyway.

Sent from my mobile commnd center
Eclipse 2.0, EXT4, PBJ 524

xdadevnube

Jun 28, 2011
If I am paying $6 per month for insurance and my phone breaks after this become in effect, will I be forced on a tiered plan since my replacement will most likely not be a charge since it is no longer made?

If yes, would it makes sense to cancel the $6 per month for insurance and buy a 2nd used charge phone to be stored in the closet until my current one breaks?

Thanks!

I think as long as you pay the insurance, and the deductible, you should be able to file a claim on a broken phone into the future past your contract expiration and keep unlimited without issue. Thing is, you'll be on a old phone for a long time. You will get the phone lust. You will succumb to shiny new phone voices in your head and you'll have to decide between unlimited, and shiny new phone at full retail cost.

I am not fully sure:
1. Verizon won't yank your unlimited after contract expiration. They could, but I doubt they will piss off customers more than they have to.
2. I'm not sure if Asurion actually allows you to insure your phone past the contract expiration date. I assume they would, they just keep collecting the monthly fee. They enjoy collecting monthly fees, but I don't know if they consider phones that old to be too large a liability.

mattybaby

Nov 7, 2006
Gameplan

I think as long as you pay the insurance, and the deductible, you should be able to file a claim on a broken phone into the future past your contract expiration and keep unlimited without issue. Thing is, you'll be on a old phone for a long time. You will get the phone lust. You will succumb to shiny new phone voices in your head and you'll have to decide between unlimited, and shiny new phone at full retail cost.

I am not fully sure:
1. Verizon won't yank your unlimited after contract expiration. They could, but I doubt they will piss off customers more than they have to.
2. I'm not sure if Asurion actually allows you to insure your phone past the contract expiration date. I assume they would, they just keep collecting the monthly fee. They enjoy collecting monthly fees, but I don't know if they consider phones that old to be too large a liability.

My contract does not expire until May 2013. I am not eligible for an phone upgrade on Verizon's website until January 2013.

Looking on ebay, I can buy a used "clean ESN" droid charge for ~$140.

It seems I am rolling the dice if my phone breaks down the road and Asurion replaces it with a newer equivalent. We do not know if Verizon will then force me on a tiered plan or not.

For a gameplan to keep my unlimited data...
1. Should I wait for a new droid to come out, pay in full $400-500, then cancel the Asurion insurance and keep my existing charge as a backup?

2. Cancel the $6 Asurion insurance and buy a used charge for $140 now.

It seems #1 is better since I would be able to have the latest phone. The con of #2 is being stuck with the charge for years.

Thanks

bwheelies

Dec 6, 2010
Please stop the retardedness about insurance. Insurance has nothing to do with signing a new contract and getting a new phone at a discounted price.

Reactions: mattybaby

bwheelies

Dec 6, 2010
I just used my upgrade. RAZR MAXX on the way and I keep my unlimited.

Check this cheap **** out though: Verizon charges you tax based on the full price of the phone and a $30 upgrade fee. I truly hope someone comes out with strong competition for Verizon while undercutting their prices.

AndroidCraig

Jun 10, 2011
I just used my upgrade. RAZR MAXX on the way and I keep my unlimited.

Check this cheap **** out though: Verizon charges you tax based on the full price of the phone and a $30 upgrade fee. I truly hope someone comes out with strong competition for Verizon while undercutting their prices.

Costco only charges tax on the price you pay for the phone. Their price is usually a lot less than VZW's.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk

BattsNotIncld

Oct 25, 2011
http://money.cnn.com/2012/06/12/technology/verizon-share-everything-plan/

New shared data plan comes into effect June 28th. As soon as I heard, I jumped online and pre-ordered the S III. I would have been perfectly happy to wait it out with the Charge, seeing how much I love this phone, but I wanted to keep my $30 unlimited data plan. A 2GB data plan that automatically comes with unlimited talk/text will be $100/month :eek:. Not completely sure about how upgrading plans transfer, but apparently you can keep your current plan after June 28th by paying full retail for an upgrade.

Reactions: jco23

GameChanger

Jan 2, 2012
El Mirage

New shared data plan comes into effect June 28th. As soon as I heard, I jumped online and pre-ordered the S III. I would have been perfectly happy to wait it out with the Charge, seeing how much I love this phone, but I wanted to keep my $30 unlimited data plan. A 2GB data plan that automatically comes with unlimited talk/text will be $100/month :eek:. Not completely sure about how upgrading plans transfer, but apparently you can keep your current plan after June 28th by paying full retail for an upgrade.

+ 1.

KaoMinerva

Sep 8, 2011
Memphis, TN

This post made me laugh lol. I did the same thing with the EVO LTE on sprint! I didn't have to, but I may get the newest phone out in October ^_^

The LTEVO says hello!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Way to read the thread, my grammatically incorrect friend.

Well, I just received shipping notification for my 16gb pebble blue SGS III. As of Monday, I will no longer be a part of the Charge community :crying:

I really hope the RIL is sorted out and the Charge gets some AOSP love. It's a really good phone, and besides the ingrained lag it has because of crappy specs, I never had a problem with it in terms of data drops or screeching, etc.. It's just impossible to run this phone hard and not experience awful lag, and it is at times frustrating for me because I use my phone for everything and expect a lot out of it. For those that have hardware problems or can't stand the lag, I hope you guys get a good replacement or early upgrade. For those sticking it out, despite the lack of dev this phone has received since it's inception, Tweaked is an awesome ROM. I would have easily waited it out for another 6 months had not they thrown these new plans at us. Having said this, in the future, since I'm such a flashaholic, I know to go after a flagship handset that will have a crapload of dev support.
    I have been with Verizon for 6 years now and this is getting ridiculous. I have an upgrade in early June so I will probably still be able to keep my unlimited data then, but I'm not even sure I want to anymore. I'm getting tired of Verizon feeling like they can do whatever they want simply because they have the best network. What happened to appreciating your customers? Or at least keeping your loyal customers happy?

I'm thinking of switching but not sure what carrier. Sprint and Tmobile are cheaper. Sprint and ATT's phone selections are very good. Sprint and Tmobile have worse service. ATT is pretty much on par (price-wise) with Verizon and their service has gotten a lot better in Los Angeles. Sprint and Tmobile still offer unlimited data, although Tmobile throttles. ATT and Tmobile are GSM carriers allowing me to import international phones or using unlocked Nexus Phones (these are a big plus :D). But due to Tmobile using GSM bands not commonly used internationally, the nod goes to ATT. And finally, ATT is the only other carrier that has LTE in L.A. which is also a plus. So overall I think I'm going to ATT due to it's coverage being second to Verizon, being a GSM carrier, and having LTE available. We'll see though since buying a subsidized phone and keeping my unlimited data with Verizon for 2 more years is tempting.

/rant
    Wtf... I thought you would get a discount on the 2yr contracts if ur eligible for an upgrade!!!??? Thats ****ty. Lol. I think your upgrade should be free of charge, no matter what make or model...

Sent from my SCH-I510 using XDA

You want a newly released, top of the line phone for free when you upgrade?

Try that at your local car dealer when you trade your car in and buy a new one. Let me know how that works out for you.

In my case there was a $30 credit on my upgrade so it wiped out the $30 they charge now when you upgrade. :confused: I'll take what I can get, I've been a Verizon smartphone customer for 8+ years so they've gotten a LOT of my money.
    Well, this will probably be my last year on verizon .... Unless I figure out a way to keep my unlimited plan. I wonder if I buy a new phone off ebay and do not upgrade through vz if they would drop my plan anyway?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using XDA

I have acquired my last half dozen or so phones from Craigslist (even though I am eligible for an upgrade). I have not (yet) been charged for changing phones. I was able to get away from being 'throttled' this way when I got my Charge off CL for $125. Vzw even gave me a SIM card. I plan to continue this until they force me into some ridiculous fee/plan structure; at which time I will go to Sprint.