[HowTo] Disable home button screen wake

Search This thread

junksecret

Jun 14, 2011
I've got a Verizon SGS3 and had disabled the home button wake in the past. When I flashed VRBMF1 the home key is again waking the phone. When I go to system/usr/gpio-keys.kl using Root Explorer it shows key 102 as my HOME key and it had WAKE_DROPPED. I tried deleting WAKE_DROPPED and then tried deleting the word HOME as well as the WAKE_DROPPED, rebooting between each try but the home button continues to wake my phone, any suggestions?

Thanks

jorv976

Feb 21, 2011
Ahh..very nice. Nice indeed

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

daver18qc

Feb 15, 2013
This is weird.
I have deleted every "WAKE" entry regarding the "HOME" button from every file inside the /system/usr/keylayout folder, rebooted numerous times and yet, my home button still wakes up my screen.
I even tried to delete the "HOME" word altogether in GPIO-Keys and Sec-Keys, leaving only the "172" part and yet the home button still wakes up the screen.

My model is I747M (Canadian) on 4.4.2 with touchwiz stock rom, rooted and Next Launcher 3D.

Anybody got a clue ?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    *** I AM NOT TAKING ANY CREDIT FOR THIS, I JUST HAPPENED TO GOOGLE IT AND FOUND IT USEFUL AND WANT TO SHARE***
    I found it on another forum posted by a guy name ERIC.

**Update (8/19)** THIS MOD SHOULD WORK FOR ALL ROMS! I did it both on AOKP and stock. Gonna look into what else can be edited and post results :)

If you're having trouble with your phone waking due to the home button, this is the mod for you.
    I work in a restaurant and i keep finding that my phone gets quite warm in my pocket because
    the screen comes on (it also likes taking screen shots, and sometimes even opens the camera).

Hope this is helpful for you guys.

HERE WE GO!

ONLY MODIFY THE FILE SPECIFIED!
    OR PLAY AROUND AT YOUR OWN RISK AS NOTHING OTHER THAN MENTIONED FILE IS TESTED....

1. open root explorer
    2. navigate to : system/usr/keylayout
    3. now press the mount r/w button near the top of screen to enable read and write permissions
    4. scroll down to: sec_keys.kl
    5. press and hold until menu pops up, select: Open in Text Editor
    6. locate line: key 172 HOME WAKE
    7. tap behind the word WAKE and delete it so you see: key 172 HOME
    8. press menu and select: Save and Exit
    9. now press the button at the top of the screen to disable read and write permissions: Mount R/O
    10. (once pressed should now read : Mount R/W again.
    11. Exit root explorer
    12. Reboot your phone

WALA, no more warm pocket and random screenshots :D
    Thx man. Appreciate the share.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    Its a galaxy note 2, this mod is for the s3