[PORT][WIP][05 Oct] J.Y.Daddy ROMs on MilestoneXT720 2.1 SBF -- sensors work

Search This thread

Mioze7Ae

Retired Recognized Developer
Dec 27, 2010
Queen City of the West
Google Pixel 7
J.Y.Daddy has done a great job porting Milestone ROMs (esp. Gingerbread ROMs) to the Motoroi XT720!

Unfortunately, there are some problems when running these on Milestone XT720. J.Y.Daddy's ROMs are configured to run on the Motoroi XT720 2.2.1 50R SBF. This makes sampling these ROMs tedious on Milestone XT720 hardware.

The Motoroi XT720 and Milestone XT720 are almost-identical but the hardware differs in some subtle ways. Most noticeable is the difference in compass and orientation sensors. The Motoroi XT720 and Milestone A853 both use the LIS331DLH chip, but Milestone XT720 uses the KXTF9. These chips don't work when running mis-matched SBFs and it looks like modifying the Motoroi sbf/kernel to support the MilestoneXT720's chip is going to be a significant challenge. A simpler approach is to port the ROMs to run on the MilestoneXT720 sbf/kernel.

This is a small update to apply after flashing J.Y.Daddy's ROMs that will enable them to boot on Milestone XT720 running the native SBF. Sensors and App2SD work now.

Tested ROMs
I have tested this (in the sense that the ROMs can be installed and booted successfully to the launcher) with these ROMs running on the Cincinnati Bell STR_U2_04.1E.1 sbf (other 2.1 SBFs are expected to be no problem):
  • CM-7-11.09.29-NIGHTLY-XT720-J.Y.Daddy.zip
  • CronosX-1.6.1-XT720-J.Y.Daddy.zip
  • HO!NO!-CM7.1.0-RC15-11.09.28-XT720-J.Y.Daddy.zip
  • iceandfire-v3.1-XT720-J.Y.Daddy.zip
  • MIUI-1.9.9-XT720-J.Y.Daddy.zip
Links for these ROMs can be found on J.Y.Daddy's thread.

Instructions (e.g. CM-7-11.09.29-NIGHTLY-XT720-J.Y.Daddy.zip):
  • Download CM-7-11.09.29-NIGHTLY-XT720-J.Y.Daddy.zip from J.Y.Daddy's thread.
  • Download the attached update-MilestoneXT720-bootfix-20111005-1154.zip
  • Place both files in /sdcard/OpenRecovery/updates
  • Boot into OpenRecovery
  • OR > Apply Update > CM-7-11.09.29-NIGHTLY-XT720-J.Y.Daddy.zip
  • OR > Apply Update > update-MilestoneXT720-bootfix-20111005-1154.zip
  • OR > Wipe Data / Factory Reset
  • Reboot

The update currently performs the following actions:
  • Replaces /system/lib/hw with Milestone XT720 versions
  • Replaces a few other binaries needed for boot
  • Replaces the baseband with Dexter's 1.3 version
  • Sets default language/locale to en/US

Attachments

• update-MilestoneXT720-bootfix-20111005-1154.zip
    545.2 KB · Views: 6,790
Last edited:

S7icky

Jun 23, 2011
What one was your favorite?

And are you or anyone you know of actually working on the sensors?

Chalob

Dec 20, 2010
Tested and working from Cincinnati Bell sbf. Works great! Thanks Mioze7Ae for making this easier i couldn't get the korean sbf to flash right.

Mioze7Ae

Dec 27, 2010
Queen City of the West
Google Pixel 7
What one was your favorite?

And are you or anyone you know of actually working on the sensors?

I spent the most time with the CM7 nightly because I know where nadlabak's source tree is. I'm trying to decide whether to switch my efforts to CM7. I spent only a few minutes with the others. Not really enough time to from any opinion. I've never cared for miui, but it seemed nicer than I remembered.

I am working on the sensors but the changes I thought would fix it turned out not to be quite enough. So there must be some other piece of the puzzle I don't know about yet. I'm pretty confident it will work.

Last edited:

eejin2

May 8, 2011
Singapore
hows the camera?

@MZ cm7 would be great but i think a completed cm6 rom would be better lol. hows cm6 going?

Last edited:

Mioze7Ae

Dec 27, 2010
Queen City of the West
Google Pixel 7
hows the camera?

@MZ cm7 would be great but i think a completed cm6 rom would be better lol. hows cm6 going?

Actually the camera seems pretty good. The noise is snow-like instead of stripey if that makes any sense. It claims 8mp, but I haven't verified.

I think what's left in CM6 are camera issues and FM radio. It may be easier to do FM on CM7 though because there's a lot of work going on in defy and there seems to have been an explosion in merging and unifying support for other motorola bootlocked devices in the last months. But only in the CM7 branch.

Sent from my Milestone XT720 using xda premium

S7icky

Jun 23, 2011
MZ you are awesome.... Nuf Said..

cm7 i think is faster then 6.3 by ALOT. only think ive notice so far is the memory not anywhere close to what i could get on 6.3

Mioze7Ae

Dec 27, 2010
Queen City of the West
Google Pixel 7
MZ you are awesome.... Nuf Said..

cm7 i think is faster then 6.3 by ALOT. only think ive notice so far is the memory not anywhere close to what i could get on 6.3

I've gotten so that I reserve judgement on things like that until I've run it hard for a few days with.bunch of apps. Most ROMs seem extremely faster than what you've been using after you do a factory reset. It's at least not awful out-of-the-box. ;)

There does seem to also be a sleeping problem. I've seen a few reboots after it's gone to sleep and a few times it refuses to wake.

Mchlbenner noticed native app2sd is also broken. I think that one's a kernel module issue.

mchlbenner

Jul 1, 2008
Hi
Their ways to get better ram I been
Useing v8 super charge.
The ram on cm7 boots at 56 or so but it will go as of 90.
Setting gaming 8.
Many will not install and you don't have the 250 for apps moving sdcard.
Overall it alright fix sensors and sdcard issue and were in busnes.
Never had issue with korean sbf I was useing by say it always booted up.

Sent from my Milestone using XDA Premium App

Reactions: AA1973 and Mioze7Ae

eejin2

May 8, 2011
Singapore
Actually the camera seems pretty good. The noise is snow-like instead of stripey if that makes any sense. It claims 8mp, but I haven't verified.

I think what's left in CM6 are camera issues and FM radio. It may be easier to do FM on CM7 though because there's a lot of work going on in defy and there seems to have been an explosion in merging and unifying support for other motorola bootlocked devices in the last months. But only in the CM7 branch.

i was thinking if you manage to fix the camera on cm6, then it should be easier on cm7 too right?

@mchlbenner you know sometimes i have trouble understanding what u say (no offence)? sometimes its like you missed out words and a sentence doesnt sound like one. if english isnt your first language maybe you could type it out in your mother tongue and we could use a translator.

Mioze7Ae

Dec 27, 2010
Queen City of the West
Google Pixel 7
i was thinking if you manage to fix the camera on cm6, then it should be easier on cm7 too right?

Well, maybe. I think it's more likely that I figure it out by working on both. I'm feeling a little stuck with the camera and need some new ideas. It's interestting that the camera on CM7 here doesn't have the line noise, but it does seem noisier overall but with a more random snow. From my point of view, there's a lot of blackbox voodoo going on with the Motorola binary blobs that we have to use. Looking at other ROMs and comparing helps me formulate ideas when I'm stuck. Don't worry... CM6 is still my everyday/primary/stable ROM and I'm definately not finished with it.

Last edited:

Woody

Retired Admin - Vacationing in Nanda Parbat
Nov 18, 2010
Immersed in Dark Matter
@mchlbenner you know sometimes i have trouble understanding what u say (no offence)? sometimes its like you missed out words and a sentence doesnt sound like one. if english isnt your first language maybe you could type it out in your mother tongue and we could use a translator.

Haha!! Autocorrect on mobile is probably the problem. When I type MSOC for overclock my autocorrect says MASOCHISM. Sometimes this phone does feel like masochism though.

mchlbenner

Jul 1, 2008
Hi guys
I think because of all issues with us booting up cm7 with are sbf I think you should keep useing korean sbf until some of the big bugs are fixed.
I have a korean 2.2.1 by say that's boots up everytime I will post it when I can.

Sent from my XT720 using XDA Premium App

islubio

Mar 28, 2010
Hope the sensor problem get fixed soon. Just flashed to cm7 with this update n every feels quite gd n smooth overall

islubio

Mar 28, 2010
I have yet to put apps. But my apps that was on my card previously are all working fine.
I m using the latest from J.Y.Daddy 300911.

---------- Post added at 01:38 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 AM ----------

Hmm it seems that my 0phone only have 30mb of internal space left. think app2sd is not really working properly? However all these apps were on my ext3 partition on my card n was "installed" on my phone straight after flashing

---------- Post added at 01:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:38 AM ----------

Hmm my bad it seems that app2sd does work but i have lesser internal space compared to b4 iirc

mchlbenner

Jul 1, 2008
Oka
What sbf did you flash from.
Keep in mind that you have 253 internal space for apps on regular cm7.

Sent from my XT720 using XDA Premium App

LibertyMonger

Mar 13, 2011
Cincinnati
I can be a tester now that I have an extra phone, this is gonna be fun trying out all these ROM's without worrying about my phone too much, as far as if I'm gonna have it ready for the next day for work and stuff.. Awesome dude and thanks Mz and JY

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    J.Y.Daddy has done a great job porting Milestone ROMs (esp. Gingerbread ROMs) to the Motoroi XT720!

Unfortunately, there are some problems when running these on Milestone XT720. J.Y.Daddy's ROMs are configured to run on the Motoroi XT720 2.2.1 50R SBF. This makes sampling these ROMs tedious on Milestone XT720 hardware.

The Motoroi XT720 and Milestone XT720 are almost-identical but the hardware differs in some subtle ways. Most noticeable is the difference in compass and orientation sensors. The Motoroi XT720 and Milestone A853 both use the LIS331DLH chip, but Milestone XT720 uses the KXTF9. These chips don't work when running mis-matched SBFs and it looks like modifying the Motoroi sbf/kernel to support the MilestoneXT720's chip is going to be a significant challenge. A simpler approach is to port the ROMs to run on the MilestoneXT720 sbf/kernel.

This is a small update to apply after flashing J.Y.Daddy's ROMs that will enable them to boot on Milestone XT720 running the native SBF. Sensors and App2SD work now.

Tested ROMs
    I have tested this (in the sense that the ROMs can be installed and booted successfully to the launcher) with these ROMs running on the Cincinnati Bell STR_U2_04.1E.1 sbf (other 2.1 SBFs are expected to be no problem):
    • CM-7-11.09.29-NIGHTLY-XT720-J.Y.Daddy.zip
    • CronosX-1.6.1-XT720-J.Y.Daddy.zip
    • HO!NO!-CM7.1.0-RC15-11.09.28-XT720-J.Y.Daddy.zip
    • iceandfire-v3.1-XT720-J.Y.Daddy.zip
    • MIUI-1.9.9-XT720-J.Y.Daddy.zip
    Links for these ROMs can be found on J.Y.Daddy's thread.

Instructions (e.g. CM-7-11.09.29-NIGHTLY-XT720-J.Y.Daddy.zip):
    • Download CM-7-11.09.29-NIGHTLY-XT720-J.Y.Daddy.zip from J.Y.Daddy's thread.
    • Download the attached update-MilestoneXT720-bootfix-20111005-1154.zip
    • Place both files in /sdcard/OpenRecovery/updates
    • Boot into OpenRecovery
    • OR > Apply Update > CM-7-11.09.29-NIGHTLY-XT720-J.Y.Daddy.zip
    • OR > Apply Update > update-MilestoneXT720-bootfix-20111005-1154.zip
    • OR > Wipe Data / Factory Reset
    • Reboot

The update currently performs the following actions:
    • Replaces /system/lib/hw with Milestone XT720 versions
    • Replaces a few other binaries needed for boot
    • Replaces the baseband with Dexter's 1.3 version
    • Sets default language/locale to en/US
    I have working sensors! (The droid2 {not droid2we} libsensors happened to match our hardware so that was pretty easy). I have to be away from my computer for a bit but I'll have a new update by tomorrow (there's some other module work that needs to be done too). cvpcs's Sensor Dump app shows all sensors working.

For the impatient and adept: the replacement /system/lib/hw/sensors.sholes.so is attached. You also have to change /dev/lis331dlh to /dev/kxtf9 everywhere in /system/etc/rootfs/init.mapphone_umts.rc
    8 or 9 build attemp.
    http://xt720.ru/Files/Mods/cm7/update-cm-7.1.0-MilestoneXT720-alpha-signed.zip

after make clean i making build in about 90 mins.

Well, maybe. I think it's more likely that I figure it out by working on both. I'm feeling a little stuck with the camera and need some new ideas. It's interestting that the camera on CM7 here doesn't have the line noise, but it does seem noisier overall but with a more random snow. From my point of view, there's a lot of blackbox voodoo going on with the Motorola binary blobs that we have to use. Looking at other ROMs and comparing helps me formulate ideas when I'm stuck. Don't worry... CM6 is still my everyday/primary/stable ROM and I'm definately not finished with it.