Damn it - Nexus 10 has light bleed!!!!

Search This thread

killerapl

Mar 5, 2011
so im guessing that you going to keep it.

i press the back of the cover and the bleed is gone.maybe i wil ltry to put something on top of the cover for few hours and see how it goes

Yeah I'm keeping it. My first unit was worse and many here on xda said that wasn't too bad (posted pics on previous posts).

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda app-developers app

Johnny7D

Dec 13, 2012
So, guys,

Please explain, in another thread people are trying to fix bleed effect by affecting tablets frame, trying to deform it and applying pressure. Seems that it can't help, is it worth it? Aren't there any way to fix it or at least make it less noticable?

Lipp24

Jun 17, 2012
Cwmbran
Here's a photo of my light bleed! Opinions and comments welcome, so I can see if mine is bad or not lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1359714222102.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1359714222102.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 307

lagnis

Apr 25, 2011
I picked my Nexus up from staples today and let's just say I've given up on finding a unit with zero light bleed. Is there a picture or video somewhere that shows what's normal or acceptable light bleed? I first tried to get a good nexus when they where released but gave up after trying two. Now I've had another two from staples with the same bottom right corner having light bleed. It goes up the height of the task bar and the width of my thumb. This can be seen from 40% and higher. During the opening scene of Immortals where most of the screen is black it was noticeable.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

Mine picked up from Walmart. Best of four in terms of very minimal/hardly noticeable bleed. No screen can be perfect... It is the technology. The fourth picture is using the bleed app at 100% brightness in a dark room. The others are at normal usage brightness in a dark room. Trust me this is the best it is going to be. I've seen much much worse with very uneven lighting and yellow blotches visible at all levels of brightness.

Attachments

• IMG_20130121_135211.jpg
    IMG_20130121_135211.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_20130121_135200.jpg
    IMG_20130121_135200.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_20130126_215113.jpg
    IMG_20130126_215113.jpg
    167.9 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_20130126_214957.jpg
    IMG_20130126_214957.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 248

killerapl

Mar 5, 2011
Here's a photo of my light bleed! Opinions and comments welcome, so I can see if mine is bad or not lol

Sent from my GT-I9300 using xda app-developers app

That looks very similar to my first unit. Asked for a replacement and second unit much better but still slight bleed. Again, if it bothers you then return it. I found myself staring at the corners and running the backlight bleed app to see how bad it was every other minute. I was driving myself insane. Thanks to this thread I feel much more comfortable with my second unit.

Jadefalkon

Nov 10, 2011
Well I pickup my sixth Nexus today from staples and already returned it. Every Nexus I get has two concentrated spots on the bottom right corner where you can see it on the task bar. I now know after seeing recent posted pictures I can get better. It seems most that are getting good units are getting them from Walmart. I may try a unit from there this weekend, or I may just totally give up and give Bill Gates my money.

Sent from my SGH-I777 using xda premium

NeoAznMan

Nov 21, 2011
I have sent my Nexus 10 in for repair. After weeks of waiting and calling for repair status. I just got a voicemail (I was busy at the moment) and the support said that the light bleed issue is "within an acceptable range" after the technician inspected the device.

So pretty much it's useless to send the N10 for repair unless the light bleed issue can be more noticeable.

I just called them again and told them to also check for the dust and possibly a dead pixel under the screen. The support took a note of that and hopefully I'll get a response next week.

So much for waiting at least a month.

jkel777

Apr 10, 2012
I have sent my Nexus 10 in for repair. After weeks of waiting and calling for repair status. I just got a voicemail (I was busy at the moment) and the support said that the light bleed issue is "within an acceptable range" after the technician inspected the device.

So pretty much it's useless to send the N10 for repair unless the light bleed issue can be more noticeable.

I just called them again and told them to also check for the dust and possibly a dead pixel under the screen. The support took a note of that and hopefully I'll get a response next week.

So much for waiting at least a month.

That's exactly what happened to me yesterday. I received a call from a woman named Lindsey saying that the light bleed on my screen was within an acceptable range, but she said they replaced the screen anyway. I'm thinking they replaced it anyway because on my first repair, they didn't put the screen into the casing properly. I called back and made sure that the screen would be placed properly this time, and they made note of it. Now I hope there aren't any dead pixels or dust under the screen lol. They said they ran tests on my screen, so I'm assuming they'll do the same for the replacement screen.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

Jayrod1980

Feb 4, 2009
Far East
This is my replacement device. Its definitely an upgrade from my replacement. Minimal light bleed which is not bad. This is at 100% brightness. I will never have it this bright in a pitch dark room.

That's as good as it gets Buddy. Keep it!

Sent from my often RMA'd Nexus 4, So that I can use the one I'm using now when I get the 6th and hopefully final one.

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

Mine picked up from Walmart. Best of four in terms of very minimal/hardly noticeable bleed. No screen can be perfect... It is the technology. The fourth picture is using the bleed app at 100% brightness in a dark room. The others are at normal usage brightness in a dark room. Trust me this is the best it is going to be. I've seen much much worse with very uneven lighting and yellow blotches visible at all levels of brightness.

You got a unicorn! Keep it

Sent from my often RMA'd Nexus 4, So that I can use the one I'm using now when I get the 6th and hopefully final one.

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

That's exactly what happened to me yesterday. I received a call from a woman named Lindsey saying that the light bleed on my screen was within an acceptable range, but she said they replaced the screen anyway. I'm thinking they replaced it anyway because on my first repair, they didn't put the screen into the casing properly. I called back and made sure that the screen would be placed properly this time, and they made note of it. Now I hope there aren't any dead pixels or dust under the screen lol. They said they ran tests on my screen, so I'm assuming they'll do the same for the replacement screen.

I think this person is some PR hack. I got the exact same call for mine. Acceptable my ass. The screen they replaced has not the little light bleed but rather the horrible yellow/orange spotlights that you can see at any level and go away when you press on the frame. They are full of it. Lindsey said they replaced the screen anyway but if I can see the damn light bleed at 50% brightness they better replace that. To top it off, this is my second time back to repair considering the bleed and the fact that their idiot techs scratched up the back of the device during the repair. Once they fix it for good, never again. I'm getting a refund and buying it at brick and mortar or just waiting this out. I was perfectly fine with the dimming and level of light bleed I had until I found some dead pixels. Should have just kept it as is because this has been an awful process

jkel777

Apr 10, 2012
That's as good as it gets Buddy. Keep it!

---------- Post added at 03:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:31 PM ----------

You got a unicorn! Keep it

---------- Post added at 03:37 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:32 PM ----------

I think this person is some PR hack. I got the exact same call for mine. Acceptable my ass. The screen they replaced has not the little light bleed but rather the horrible yellow/orange spotlights that you can see at any level and go away when you press on the frame. They are full of it. Lindsey said they replaced the screen anyway but if I can see the damn light bleed at 50% brightness they better replace that. To top it off, this is my second time back to repair considering the bleed and the fact that their idiot techs scratched up the back of the device during the repair. Once they fix it for good, never again. I'm getting a refund and buying it at brick and mortar or just waiting this out. I was perfectly fine with the dimming and level of light bleed I had until I found some dead pixels. Should have just kept it as is because this has been an awful process

Great... seems like they're making these calls to everyone then lol. Just when I had my hopes up... Well I hope this new screen isn't half bad. The techs were horrible on my first repair too. They didn't even put the screen in properly. I agree; I should have just kept my original one. My light bleed was noticeable, but not terrible. Like you, I'm demanding a refund if it doesn't come back in good shape. Unfortunately, I'm out of my 15 day window (bought it from Walmart, but they wouldn't take it back outside of the 15 days), but I'm not paying my credit card bill with the charge on it until they give me a refund.

Reactions: Jayrod1980

Jayrod1980

Feb 4, 2009
Far East
Great... seems like they're making these calls to everyone then lol. Just when I had my hopes up... Well I hope this new screen isn't half bad. The techs were horrible on my first repair too. They didn't even put the screen in properly. I agree; I should have just kept my original one. My light bleed was noticeable, but not terrible. Like you, I'm demanding a refund if it doesn't come back in good shape. Unfortunately, I'm out of my 15 day window (bought it from Walmart, but they wouldn't take it back outside of the 15 days), but I'm not paying my credit card bill with the charge on it until they give me a refund.

I will fight for a refund from Samsung if they return it jacked up again. Acceptable or not... If it is worse than what I turned in they have to fix it. When I called about a fix for their awful "repair" they said all warranty work has a 90 day guarantee on their repairs. It is unacceptable to get a worse device than what you turned in. 2 times to get it right is more than reasonable. In my case as long as I have the same imei I can return it to the Google play store.

jkel777

Apr 10, 2012
I will fight for a refund from Samsung if they return it jacked up again. Acceptable or not... If it is worse than what I turned in they have to fix it. When I called about a fix for their awful "repair" they said all warranty work has a 90 day guarantee on their repairs. It is unacceptable to get a worse device than what you turned in. 2 times to get it right is more than reasonable. In my case as long as I have the same imei I can return it to the Google play store.

That's what I'm going to do. The manager at Walmart actually suggested that I demand a refund if it doesn't come back perfect or in better condition this time.

I totally agree with you. It's complete B.S. that such a reputable company would return a product worse than when it shipped to them.

What do you mean by the 90 day guarantee on their repairs? And how long did it take for your Nexus 10 to get back to you after you received the call from Lindsey?

Jadefalkon

Nov 10, 2011
Finally, my lucky number was 9. After 8 nexus replacements number 9 is the keeper. It has minimal light bleed, no dust (or ants) under the screen, no creaking and as of my first inspection no dead pixels. Luckily all the Staples around me have them in stock so I've been making my rounds this week. The only store that gave me a slight problem was the final one. The manager said she didn't see what the problem was but she would still exchange it for me. You could easily see the light bleed in the task bar during normal use with the units I've had so when watching a movie it was really an eye catcher. Let the games begin, now I just need to educate myself on rooting and maybe flashing roms. I wish everyone luck in their search, It is possibly to get a good one. Just make sure you do not deal with Google directly if you have a choice.

Reactions: mark.m.moran

sovereignty68

Jun 9, 2006
That's what I'm going to do. The manager at Walmart actually suggested that I demand a refund if it doesn't come back perfect or in better condition this time.

I totally agree with you. It's complete B.S. that such a reputable company would return a product worse than when it shipped to them.

What do you mean by the 90 day guarantee on their repairs? And how long did it take for your Nexus 10 to get back to you after you received the call from Lindsey?

It feels like the agreement between Google and Nexus device manufacturers was to keep the cost low = low quality service and manufacturing. I finally settled down on 5th Nexus 4 replacement, and continued on my 6th Nexus 10 replacement. Honestly, they will be my LAST Nexus devices until Google and the manufacturers show some respects to their Nexus customers.

tcb4

Dec 25, 2011
I've had 3 nexus 10s and all have them have had light bleed. My current one is quite visible in a dark room at 100%, but with auto brightness on I don't see it too often. Also my back is warped which is a bummer. It took me one shot to get a perfect galaxy tab 2 and I ended up exchanging it for a second one because I thought it had a wifi issue, and the replacement also had zero issues. I mean I love the speed and how smooth this tablet is, but I think all the tablets will be now that they're using this generation of cpus. Galaxy note 10.1 two will probably have this display and a exynos octa clocked at 2 ghz+ thanks to the smaller architecture.

mattzildjian

Mar 23, 2011
Just received my 4th nexus 10, this one has serial number R32D

The problem remains, this one has worse lightbleed than my previous R32CC. I always get ones with yellow smudge / tint.
Arrived with lots of lint and scratches and fingerprints on the screen. With lint under the protector.
One seal was broken and the other was very damaged.

I have lost hope that a good screen exists.

pikesmatrix

Dec 27, 2011
Kent
I have a few questions. Does the 15 day refund widow still apply on replacements? And if so, does it start the moment you receive your replacement?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

Rodeojones

Aug 6, 2010
Bloomer, WI
I have a few questions. Does the 15 day refund widow still apply on replacements? And if so, does it start the moment you receive your replacement?

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk HD

I'm not 100% certain, but I believe that the 15-day return period restarts each time you receive a new device. Someone else on here a few weeks back mentioned this as well. If you're dealing with Google, you just call them and ask.

Reactions: jkel777

jkel777

Apr 10, 2012
I wouldn't suppose anybody would know the number to call to request a refund from Samsung? I can't deal with Walmart because I'm out of the 15 days. If my tablet doesn't come back in good condition (I don't really care about the light bleed that much anymore; I'm mainly talking about dead pixels, dust under the screen, etc.), I want to request a refund directly from Samsung, if that's possible.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What is exactly "light bleed"?
    Background light inconsistency.

5060128160_802f0c4f36.jpg
    nope, was full brightness on all 3
    yes, that is just how big the difference is.

the iPad has a little light bleed as well which you can see if crank up the brightness on whatever you view the picture on (bottom right and top right in particular) but the black level is just much MUCH blacker which is why the visibility is so low in the picture.

incidentally I did end up exchanging my iPad for a replacement too because it had 1 dead pixel and 1 stuck pixel so I'm not trying to claim iPads are flawless either but when it comes to backlighting there's just no comparison

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the display itself on the nexus 10. Its as good as it gets on a tablet form. The display on the nexus can push the same levels on blacks as the retina display.. And in many ways the nexus 10 display is better for picture quality. Now,... What makes apples new iPad seem as a better display, is simply because they are better in the assembly/connecting the display to the iPad. They managed to align it in way causing minimal stress to the display,. And that's to me where apple really shines through,.. They are consistent in their quality of making their products. Its herein 95% of all backlight bleeding occur. The backlight bleeding in the nexus 10 is NOT caused by a bad display,.. But it IS caused by BAD assembly from factory. It takes only just a little uneven pressure on the display to cause the backlight bleeding.
    And the way the nexus 10 is put together, makes it like winning the lottery to find one without backlight bleeding. That said it is possible to eliminate the backlight bleeding. I fixed my display myself, removing 98% og the backlight bleeding,. Bad news is, that its not an easy fix, because of the way the display was assembled. It takes alot of patience and fiddling, and you'll be without warranty if you break something trying to fix it.

So long story short,.. The display on the nexus 10 is flawless,... It's the way they made room for it that sucks. After taking the nexus apart I will almost guarantee that more than 90% of the complaints people make of their backlight bleeding problems, is coming form their bottom right and/or left corner, as this is where they made everything so narrow that its almost impossible not causing any stress to the lower/bottom of the display.

Now a word of advice,... If you only have backlight bleeding on highest brightness but no bleeding on the lowest brightness,.. No reason to try fix it,. You won't be able to see the backlight bleed in the daytime anyways, and in low/no light environment you should use the lowest settings on brightness for optimum picture performance anyways. And that's (to me) where the display really shines through, with its ability to render crisp details in low brightness. And actually its more the cell light you set up and down (when adjusting the brightness in android) than it is the brightness of the display.

TechGeek over and out:)

OK here are some photos. The best I could do in a dark room shooting with my Nexus 4.
    I think people just want to love this tablet so much and are trying to convince themselves that the defects aren't "that bad". Don't try to justify it, just send it back or get a refund.
    Any LCD with a backlight will suffer from light bleed to some extent even the iPad3 retina (just Google for the pictures). Obviously, something to check for and exchange if it's significant. The pictures on The Verge don't show any signs of it and the pixel level comparison shows the Nexus 10 display to be superior in black level, colors and sharpness against retina.