Enabling SMS in your Car through Bluetooth?

Search This thread

jlrose2

Jan 16, 2009
I know that the Nexus 5 now supports Bluetooth MAP which enables your car system (I have UVO in mine) to read text messages. I can't get this working however and I'm wondering if the Hangouts SMS integration has somethings to do with it. Does anyone have their N5 transmitting text messages to their audio system in their car?

mdandashly

Dec 6, 2012
I know that the Nexus 5 now supports Bluetooth MAP which enables your car system (I have UVO in mine) to read text messages. I can't get this working however and I'm wondering if the Hangouts SMS integration has somethings to do with it. Does anyone have their N5 transmitting text messages to their audio system in their car?

My bluetooth car stereo has the same functionality and i've never been able to get it to read texts or even give me a notification that I have a text message. Its unfortunate. I know it works with iPhone. The other troubling thing is that the voice dialer on the car automatically pulls up the old decrepit "Voice Dialer" when I'd prefer to use Google Now. I wish there was a way to make it use Google Now.

ptscon

Nov 5, 2009
I just tested it on my Kenwood DNX unit which is supposed to use MAP but no luck, everything except for SMS works.

Do we know for sure that Nexus 5 has MAP profile enabled?

mdandashly

Dec 6, 2012
I just tested it on my Kenwood DNX unit which is supposed to use MAP but no luck, everything except for SMS works.

Do we know for sure that Nexus 5 has MAP profile enabled?

My stereo also uses MAP, but no luck. Are you able to get Google Now instead of voice dialer for voice calling?

Pirateghost

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 24, 2010
androidninjas.com
Works perfectly on my Ford focus. Are you sending SMS messages? Or hangouts messages. Might make a difference?

I have had the dnx for 2 years and used tons of phones with it. The only one that the SMS ever worked on was my atrix2. I didn't check with my iPhone 5s, but maybe I will later tonight. So it doesn't matter what app it was doing the text messaging. I think its just a problem with the dnx and most devices.

I never said it didn't work at all for any device with any car.

Sent from my Nexus 5

ptscon

Nov 5, 2009
Just updated my DNX7190 with latest bluetooth firmware from couple of weeks ago. Still no luck, SMS icon is greyed out. I'm guessing these Kenwood units do not fully support MAP.

bhulku123

Aug 11, 2010
SMS+CAR App from market works great, I have tried on Galaxy S4 and Nexus 5 without any problem, It can read SMS, Whatsapp, Gmail, voicemail or can auto reply your pre configured message. Hope this helps

ptscon

Nov 5, 2009
Looks like Kenwood is stuck in the past and uses old GSM AT commands instead of MAP. What would be needed is a custom rom that can handle these or an app that could listen for them and respond accordingly.

Slappin

Apr 30, 2011
Seriously SMS not working over Bluetooth

I also can't get the SMS to work over Bluetooth in my uConnect Jeep. I suspect it has something to do with Google Hangout SMS integration. If anyone figures out a work around please reply, I love the Nexus 5 but no SMS integration over Bluetooth is unacceptable. Time to start considering moving back to my S3.

TheKorbenDallas

Dec 3, 2010
Does anyone have their N5 transmitting text messages to their audio system in their car?

I have my Nexus 5 paired with Garmin Nuvi 3490 through BT. The Nuvi does successfully show text messages stored on the phone.

Garmin's implementation is extremely crash-prone, and text mesage support sometimes disappears without any explanation, but it is a Garmin's problem. The phone seems to function as it is supposed to, i.e. BT MAP is there and it works.

RangerLG

Sep 29, 2009
Houston
I hate to bring up an old thread, but has anyone found a way to get this working? I had a Nokia 925 that I upgraded to 8.1 and it would read texts through my Uvo system in my Optima. Since I went back to the Nexus 5, I don't even see the option for the MAP profile in the bluetooth settings. SMS is enabled on my car audio system.