[Q] Is Nokia X real android?

Search This thread

Feb 28, 2014
Some news said its real system was Symbian 6.0,and it just can run Android app.Is the news real?

I'm sorry for my bad English..

lolpok

Aug 10, 2013
Depends on what you mean with real Android, but it's based on android open source project so yeah i call it "real" Android but it's modified as f*ck so it doesn't look like Android at all but from beginning it is pure Android.

Reactions: 363975501

trunkline

Feb 20, 2012

Caner092

May 8, 2012
Istanbul
Nokia doesn't accept it as an Android, head of Nokia Turkey said that it's not an android as the others, it's different and we call it Nokia X platform

Mrtoxicgamer10

Some news said its real system was Symbian 6.0,and it just can run Android app.Is the news real?

You can say that but Nokia heavily modified the AOSP and gave it a Windows + Asha UI and support for all kinds of APK's which can be installed from Third Party Apps like Blackmart and also Nokia is partnering with the store.Yandex.com (just like Play store) which has lakhs of Android apps available for download to it's Nokia X users.

Yesterday a Dev called Kashamalaga posted a guide to install full working GAPPS on Nokia X which allows you to have all Google Play services (including Play Store) on Nokia X.

looney64

Feb 27, 2014
But why does it use Android 4.1 instead of Andorid 4.3 or 4.4?

Using 4.1 shows that Nokia was working on this for a long time now, maybe from early 2013 onwards. Why they didn't update to 4.3 or 4.4 i dont know. 4.4 would be a much better option for the X as it is more optimized for low-spec phones.

dragon_76

Apr 21, 2007
Chicago, IL
No, its a heavily modified fork of the Android Open Source Project(Android 4.1), with all the google stuff replaced with microsoft services.

Android has no "Google stuff" to be replaced. Android IS NOT GOOGLE. Google ADDS that to Android, and requires anyone releasing Android to pay a licensing fee to add Google Play Services.

It is in fact based on Qualcomm's reference design platform. QRD resources are still in the ROM.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: mdwh and looney64

looney64

Feb 27, 2014
Android has no "Google stuff" to be replaced. Android IS NOT GOOGLE. Google ADDS that to Android, and requires anyone releasing Android to pay a licensing fee to add Google Play Services.

It is in fact based on Qualcomm's reference design platform. QRD resources are still in the ROM.

Oh. Sorry, my bad.

abhiiceman

Nov 1, 2012
Bangalore
feel devs just droll seeing a nokia with an android and nokis X forum already created even before the release of the device awesome..though nokia said nokia x available immediately at the MWC but i doubt its true as i cant find a single unboxing video till now..:confused:

Brute.Force

feel devs just droll seeing a nokia with an android and nokis X forum already created even before the release of the device awesome..though nokia said nokia x available immediately at the MWC but i doubt its true as i cant find a single unboxing video till now..:confused:

What are you trying to say? Even the galaxy s5, xperia z2 are other devices have forums even though they aren't released.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Using 4.1 shows that Nokia was working on this for a long time now, maybe from early 2013 onwards. Why they didn't update to 4.3 or 4.4 i dont know. 4.4 would be a much better option for the X as it is more optimized for low-spec phones.

Android levels above 4.1 do not significantly improve any part of the experience related to the hardware present in the Nokia X. Most of the additions to Android since 4.1 are specific to add-in hardware (which the Nokia X does not have), and not the general user experience. The last general user experience modification that would affect the Nokia X comes at 4.1 with Project Butter.

In addition, Google has consistently been removing or refusing to update the open-source parts of Android that contribute to an overall user experience, while adding more and more basic functionality to Google Play Services in an effort to "blackmail", if you will, the licensing fee out of more OEMs, or to force them to create their own apps for basic functionality, which is beyond the scope of most hardware OEMs. Unfortunately for Google it is not beyond the scope of Amazon, Xioami, or Nokia, and this technique could possibly backfire if any two of those got together to create an official fork.

You can read Google's iron grip on Android by Ars Technica to understand exactly what I am talking about.
    No, its a heavily modified fork of the Android Open Source Project(Android 4.1), with all the google stuff replaced with microsoft services.

i thought it is aosp android.

Sent from my C6602 using xda app-developers app

Depends on what you mean with real Android, but it's based on android open source project so yeah i call it "real" Android but it's modified as f*ck so it doesn't look like Android at all but from beginning it is pure Android.