[COMP] SE X10 vs other android phones

Search This thread

Andrewtst

Aug 4, 2009
Johor
No comment and not going to argue here. I agree that it is personal preferences.

For me since my 1st LED phone - Samsung S8300, then OMNIA II and now Nexus One, I can't stand any longer for phone that still using LCD, even my laptop also LED. Now I am waiting a good LED panel for replacing my home PC LCD panel as well.

LED rock and all the way for LED now :)

For me, it is as sharp as LCD with better color balance, vivid, contrast and true black. All this is important for me and LED is future definately.

jackstuard

Jan 11, 2010
What I don't like in X10 is the leak of second mic, and leak of multi touch, I saw a solution fro SE that is touch the screen and slide up and down, is good, I like the idea... so I cannot consider multi touch anymore. For me this is the most beautiful one.

Desire is good, htc sense looks good, however doesn't have like nexus one possibility to have a dock station, no second mic (I have a lot of friends saying how valuable is this sec mic).

H1 is my choice now, however I'm studying this AMOLED screen that some people like, other dislike..

So difficult to choose one!

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
Just a small point but color accuracy is not subjective and the ideal is to be an accurate representation of the source material. Nothing added, nothing taken away. What you like is a differerent subject all together.

afhstingray

Jan 20, 2005
the LED screen on your laptop is different from the one on the phone. Its a LCD display that is LED backlit, not an AMOLED display.

most people wont notice the issues with the N1's screen, just those upgrading from WVGA devices.

definitely its down to personal preference. for videos, photos, pentile AMOLED wins hands down. For text heavy use such as web browsing, IM, Documents, it can get a bit irritating.

Last edited:

bclope

Dec 27, 2007
You have bluetooth issue in N1? and you getting better when using Desire ROM? until now the Desire MOD ROM still break in bluetooth, the bluetooth is dead on Desire MOD ROM.

For me, AMOLED is always surpase better than TFT. Sorry if you don't like it. (Off course no doubt SE TFT is great but sincered it won't be better than AMOLED)

The BT that comes with the standard rom of N1 connects and disconnects randomly from the car audio. I've tested it in a BMW 73516 bluetooth and in a parrot MK9000i bluetooth and both are disastrous. For instance the agenda keeps sinchronizing all time. You get a call but it is not forwarded to the BT...you get desperated. I've been looking for patches fixes or anything in the internet and nothing fixes the problem

The desiree rom (I gave up trying at alpha 17) did not correct the problem, it got worst. I mean the phone in general got better not the BT problem, just to clarify mi last post). Actually they say BT is one of the things not working fine.

Finally I flashed cyanogen and now "more or less" works but BT still has similar issues as with the stock rom.

Last edited:

Andrewtst

Aug 4, 2009
Johor
the LED screen on your laptop is different from the one on the phone. Its a LCD display that is LED backlit, not an AMOLED display.

most people wont notice the issues with the N1's screen, just those upgrading from WVGA devices.

definitely its down to personal preference. for videos, photos, pentile AMOLED wins hands down. For text heavy use such as web browsing, IM, Documents, it can get a bit irritating.
I know laptop is LCD with LED backlit. But it still having similar quality of LED just not perfect, but at least is far better than LCD.

I don't know why people saying having difficulties on wording, I see no problem here and the wording is sharpen, clearance than LCD in any term for me.

Maybe over highest brightness setup, I setup all mine always as 40% (which is default value for most manufacture setup) and it is bright enough and suite me. I don't use auto brightness as I hate the way it auto adjust.

As I said b4 Nexus is not my 1st LED phone, so I can notice the issue, I do compare with OMNIA II quality, Nexus One do display image slightly (just slighty) less sharpen than the OMNIA II, but they is no issue on the wording at all. S8300 is not WVGA, it is only 240 x 400.

Last edited:

afhstingray

Jan 20, 2005
I know laptop is LCD with LED backlit. But it still having similar quality of LED just not perfect, but at least is far better than LCD.

Have you ever seen a CCFL IPS LCD display? or even a 2CCFL TN display? They both murder the LED backlit display in your laptop. Dont compare your laptop LED backlit panel to an AMOLED panel. Its like comparing a aircraft carrier and a speedboat.

The omnia II has an AMOLED display as well. Its not as "popular" as the N1 in the press, because it dosent have as big a story for reporters to report on compared to the N1. Whether or not the AMOLED display in the omnia II uses a pentile matrix or not, i dont know.
But i suspect it does since one of the theories behind the use of a pentile matrix is the short lifespan of the blue subpixels in AMOLED displays. Not to mention samsung is the supplier of the AMOLED displays in the N1 and HTC Desire. The pentile matrix helps mitigate this at the trade off of a lower effective resolution.

so if you're comparing the N1 to an omnia II, chances are you're comparing two displays whose effective resolutions are BOTH below true WVGA. Compare it to a touch HD or any other TFT LCD WVGA device and you'll see a difference.

Last edited:

Andrewtst

Aug 4, 2009
Johor
Have you ever seen a CCFL IPS LCD display? or even a 2CCFL TN display? They both murder the LED backlit display in your laptop. Dont compare your laptop LED backlit panel to an AMOLED panel. Its like comparing a aircraft carrier and a speedboat.

The omnia II has an AMOLED display as well. Its not as "popular" as the N1 in the press, because it dosent have as big a story for reporters to report on compared to the N1. Whether or not the AMOLED display in the omnia II uses a pentile matrix or not, i dont know.
But i suspect it does since one of the theories behind the use of a pentile matrix is the short lifespan of the blue subpixels in AMOLED displays. Not to mention samsung is the supplier of the AMOLED displays in the N1 and HTC Desire. The pentile matrix helps mitigate this at the trade off of a lower effective resolution.

so if you're comparing the N1 to an omnia II, chances are you're comparing two displays whose effective resolutions are BOTH below true WVGA. Compare it to a touch HD or any other TFT LCD WVGA device and you'll see a difference.
1. Since when I compared Laptop LED with AMOLED. I just said at least it still better. Did CCFL IPS LCD use before in laptop? I doubt not.
2. I believe at the moment all AMOLED by Samsung use pentile, it is not a big deal so huge different on it.
3. Plenty of same resolution WVGA TFT LCD I seen before, included HD (HD screen is crap, you also can included it), or even HTC HD2, Xperia X2, LG Chocolate BL40 and etc. I still prefer AMOLED.

My next target phone will be base on Super AMOLED. ;)
S-AMOLED can considered 2nd generation of AMOLED already, so sorry I won't step back using TFT LCD. More and more devices is using AMOLED and it is a go for them.

Last edited:

afhstingray

Jan 20, 2005
AFAIK only the SUPER-AMOLED display integrates the touch sensitive panel, the normal AMOLED display dosent integrate it. Synaptics makes the touch layer, not the actual display layer. The AMOLED display is made by samsung

andrew: There are quite a few laptops using CCFL IPS displays. For example the thinkpads in my office. I'm not asking you to go back to TFT LCD, or denying that the future is definitely AMOLED. What i'm trying to say is, this first generation of 3.7" AMOLED displays are not perfect, and the resolution might be an issue for people. The colours certainly are better on AMOLED displays, and thats great for people who are heavy on photos/videos, and people who are upgrading from HVGA or QVGA devices will definitely be satisfied.

This thread after all is about comparing the various android phones on the market to the X10, and each device has its pros and cons. I'm particularly focussed on the screen issue because thats the most important issue for me, much more important than multi touch.

krabman

Sep 22, 2008
Most everything I know about these displays I learned in the last few weeks as I was trying to figure out what exactly the X10 was capable of in terms of multi touch and I absorbed a lot of info. My understanding was the touch sensor goes over a tft lcd but is integrated in amoled and super amoled displays. I went back and had a look see and you have it correct, the sensor is seperate in the nexus one with the display being sammy and the sensor synaptics. Thanks for setting me straight.