[Q] Windows Phone 8.1 - ram issues

Search This thread

MarioOrlando

Dec 28, 2010
Hello together,

I searched through the whole forum but I did not find any thread regarding the problem I have found.

I own a Nokia Lumia 1520 (RM-937). It was flashed with WP8 version from APAC.

I updated it to WP 8.1 via developer preview app.
Language and region is set to german/germany.
I have a 32 GB SD card.

Now its working almost as expected and with known issues.
But one thing is very bad: This device has almost 2 GB of usable ram. But when I minimize an app via Windows Button (e.g. Internet Explorer; only one tab opened) it constantly reloads the whole page after only 30 seconds of being minimized.
The same for other apps like amazon kindle.

It feels like an android device with only 512 MB of ram.

It only costs seconds. But IE eats all my contingent given by my provider. I have LTE enabled and the page is loaded so fast, that I cannot stop it.

With WP8 the browser stayed in memory even for days without reloading the pages.
So I expect that behaviour from WP8.1 too.

Reboot helps only for couple of minutes.
Even with all other apps closed (hold back button and swipe down the app to the bottom) that behaviour is there.

Someone here with equivalent experiences? Any help?
You can test this: Open IE. Load a website. Minimize via Start Button.
Open other apps and use them for a couple of minutes.
Afterwards open IE and look if the page is beeing reloaded.

Is there any method known to look, if there is any app that blocks the memory? Like a task manager?
Maybe it's only an error that happened during the update!?

mcosmin222

May 1, 2012
Hello together,

I searched through the whole forum but I did not find any thread regarding the problem I have found.

I have a 32 GB SD card.

But one thing is very bad: This device has almost 2 GB of usable ram. But when I minimize an app via Windows Button (e.g. Internet Explorer; only one tab opened) it constantly reloads the whole page after only 30 seconds of being minimized.

It only costs seconds. But IE eats all my contingent given by my provider. I have LTE enabled and the page is loaded so fast, that I cannot stop it.

With WP8 the browser stayed in memory even for days without reloading the pages.

Even with all other apps closed (hold back button and swipe down the app to the bottom) that behaviour is there.

Is there any method known to look, if there is any app that blocks the memory? Like a task manager?

Windows phone 8.1 multitasking now is similar to windows 8 multitasking, that is, an app still runs in background for about 10 seconds after you leave the app.

The system also does a lot better at suspending apps and saving their state upon tombstone, so even if you leave the app and said app is automatically killed because you opened too many apps, the system will restore its original state when you open it again.

I do not have any issues with internet explorer running in background after i disabled all background communication for it from settings.

Reactions: jerry_nima

MarioOrlando

Dec 28, 2010
Windows phone 8.1 multitasking now is similar to windows 8 multitasking, that is, an app still runs in background for about 10 seconds after you leave the app.

The system also does a lot better at suspending apps and saving their state upon tombstone, so even if you leave the app and said app is automatically killed because you opened too many apps, the system will restore its original state when you open it again.

I do not have any issues with internet explorer running in background after i disabled all background communication for it from settings.

Hi,

thanks for your answer.

I know these new behaviour and read about the differences.

Whats strange now: I uninstalled the app "Battery", deleted temporary files, made a system backup to OneDrive, copied some files from phone to my PC, installed the Microsoft App "Diagnosis" to give a message to the developers and now this strange behaviour is away so far. :confused:

Ok, I have to consider again, that this version is only a "Developer Preview". ;)

When I have news about this problem, I'll give a message in this thread. :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello together,

I have a 32 GB SD card.