[APP][2.3+][ROOT] App Override - Now on Playstore

Search This thread

emwno

Aug 30, 2011
Islamabad
We've all heard of the ability to set a custom DPI for each application, such as in the ParanoidAndroid ROMs and the Xposed Framework. Consdering that control of the user over his/her applications, I came up with App Control, Taking Application Control to the next level. Remeber it's still in beta so expect bugs.

The list remains short for now, but will be growing in time. This application allows you to set custom settings for each and every app, regardless of the fact of it being either a system or user application, such as;
  • Screen Orientation
  • Font Size
  • Input Method
  • Screen Timeout
  • Minimum CPU Speed
  • Maximum CPU Speed
  • Sound Mode
  • Wifi

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Examples and Explainations of Settings

Didn't get it? Here's how it works, for each application you can set these settings, you can specify the settings for each individual application. Here are the explainations for each feature or setting.

-Screen Orientation
You can specify an application to remain in a certain Orientation, which may be, portrait, landscape, reverse portrait and reverse landscape. Lets say you would like an application to stay in landscape, incase your watching a video on YouTube, Netflix etc, but you would like the rest of your applications to remain on auto-rotate and you don't want to go rushing back to settings to change this everytime, this setting gives you the ability to do exactly that.

-Font Size
Let's say you have an elderly person is using a device and they have problems with reading their daily news because the text was too small, with this setting you can make the Font Size larger to put that issue at ease. NOTE: This will work depending on your device, it is not guaranteed to work on every device.

-Input Method
You can select the keyboard or voice input is going to be used in the app you choose.

-Screen Timeout
Specify an app to Timeout Screen after a specified time, saving battery life, by reducing screen use.

-Minimum CPU Speed
Let's say your just going to be listening to music and would like to save battery at the same time, but you dont want to do that because your too lazy to switch back to an application to underclock then return to the normal clock speed when needed again, so with this app, you can specify that when your favourite music player if launched, your device's clock speeds will reduce.

-Maximum CPU Speed
Again, lets say your in a position to overclock your phone to avoid lag while playing a game, but that clock speed may stick for longer for any possible reason, causing battery drain and unnecessary heating up of the device, so you can assign clock speeds which will only trigger when that application is launched.

-Sound Mode
This allows you to set a Sound Mode such as Silent or Vibrate which will be activated when ever the application you selected it for is launched.

-Wifi
Wifi control will alow you to enable wifi whenever a specific application is launched, for example your browser.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How to Use​

Your applications will be displayed in a list alphabetically, tap on the application you want to specify settings for and choose from the menu.
To add more configurations, tap the What to Control button and check the ones you want from the list.

Screenshots​

2n0pijb.jpg
aktjcz.jpg
acts7o.jpg
r251yd.jpg
54ucrk.jpg

Changelog

Version 0.48
Fixed error: no config working from 0.44
Fixed bug: service not running because of splash
Fixed bug: input method not working on some devices
Fixed bug: rotation not working on some devices
Fixed bug: sound modes not being applied on some devices on android 2.3.0
Info: FONT SIZE only works for some devices

Version 0.44
Fixed bug: rotation reversed on LG devices
Fixed bug: max cpu speed not working on somc2012
Sound Mode now uses 'ringer' instead of 'mute' to silence apps
Added splash screen (on start up)

-Version 0.40
Added support for sound modes (silent / vibrate)
Cleaned up a bit of UI (app mode selection)
Fixed bug: input method selection ignoring secondary keyboards

-Version 0.30
Fixed bug: wifi turning on when service started
Fixed bug: notification bar icon disappearing
Added support for input method selection (keyboard)

-Version 0.20
Fixed bug where shutting down service rebooted some devices
Added support for wifi configuration

-Version 0.10
Pre public release

Last edited:

vineeth_4u2

Sep 25, 2009
Problem with Phone.apk

Hi there.. Wonderful thought for your app.. 5*.. However when i changed the dpi and set the settings as suggested above.. Phone.apk is still not working..

The problem is the whole system dpi has been changed.. but when iam opening the phone application the phone restarts automatically.. any suggestions for this kind of problem.. If u need i will send both phone.apk and contacts.apk to u if you can help me out..

My Device: Micromax A27
Android Version: 2.3.5
Rooted and init.d support

Please help me in this regard..
And thanks a lot for your hardwork.:good:

Reactions: emwno

emwno

Aug 30, 2011
Islamabad
You can't set the dpi with this app. But assuming you had it set already and these settings didn't work well with it, lemme test it out and try to fix the issue your facing.

jelle2503

Mar 12, 2011
You plan permission control too for this app?
I like it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

emwno

Aug 30, 2011
Islamabad
You plan permission control too for this app?
I like it.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Yes I will be in the future but it will be apart from root permissions, I.e you can limit an app to not use the Internet so no ads can be displayed etc. Heres a short list of what I have planned:
-auto wifi start when a specified app is launched
-separate volume control ability for each app
-permission controls
-disabling on boot startup

am11

Oct 4, 2010
Yes I will be in the future but it will be apart from root permissions, I.e you can limit an app to not use the Internet so no ads can be displayed etc. Heres a short list of what I have planned:
-permission controls

auto gps on launch would also be useful for apps like Maps

erikrh

Dec 25, 2010
looks really interesting, i'll keep an eye on this app for future releases :good:

emwno

Aug 30, 2011
Islamabad
Updated to 0.20!
Now supports Wifi configurations across all apps!
Fixed a bug where shutting down service caused a reboot on some devices

Jessical

Jan 15, 2007
Superuser freaks out when I try to enable the CPU settings. It just loops over and over and denies it automatically. Otherwise very nicely done!

Sent from my Huawei Fusion 2

Reactions: rajitha455

Jessical

Jan 15, 2007
Try with SuperSU, I had a similar issue with superuser when testing.

That worked. Thanks!

---------- Post added at 11:42 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:10 AM ----------

If you set an app to not use wifi, it just turns on the 3G instead, haha.

PenguinxEnjoi

Dec 22, 2012
Carbondale
Besides things already said (and besides custom dpi settings for people who may not be on roms fortunate enough to have that feature), I think full screen on certain apps would be a killer feature. Nice app, working on my phone

Sent from my SCH-I500 using 2.3.5

Reactions: Jessical

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    We've all heard of the ability to set a custom DPI for each application, such as in the ParanoidAndroid ROMs and the Xposed Framework. Consdering that control of the user over his/her applications, I came up with App Control, Taking Application Control to the next level. Remeber it's still in beta so expect bugs.

The list remains short for now, but will be growing in time. This application allows you to set custom settings for each and every app, regardless of the fact of it being either a system or user application, such as;
    • Screen Orientation
    • Font Size
    • Input Method
    • Screen Timeout
    • Minimum CPU Speed
    • Maximum CPU Speed
    • Sound Mode
    • Wifi

Examples and Explainations of Settings

Didn't get it? Here's how it works, for each application you can set these settings, you can specify the settings for each individual application. Here are the explainations for each feature or setting.

-Screen Orientation
    You can specify an application to remain in a certain Orientation, which may be, portrait, landscape, reverse portrait and reverse landscape. Lets say you would like an application to stay in landscape, incase your watching a video on YouTube, Netflix etc, but you would like the rest of your applications to remain on auto-rotate and you don't want to go rushing back to settings to change this everytime, this setting gives you the ability to do exactly that.

-Font Size
    Let's say you have an elderly person is using a device and they have problems with reading their daily news because the text was too small, with this setting you can make the Font Size larger to put that issue at ease. NOTE: This will work depending on your device, it is not guaranteed to work on every device.

-Input Method
    You can select the keyboard or voice input is going to be used in the app you choose.

-Screen Timeout
    Specify an app to Timeout Screen after a specified time, saving battery life, by reducing screen use.

-Minimum CPU Speed
    Let's say your just going to be listening to music and would like to save battery at the same time, but you dont want to do that because your too lazy to switch back to an application to underclock then return to the normal clock speed when needed again, so with this app, you can specify that when your favourite music player if launched, your device's clock speeds will reduce.

-Maximum CPU Speed
    Again, lets say your in a position to overclock your phone to avoid lag while playing a game, but that clock speed may stick for longer for any possible reason, causing battery drain and unnecessary heating up of the device, so you can assign clock speeds which will only trigger when that application is launched.

-Sound Mode
    This allows you to set a Sound Mode such as Silent or Vibrate which will be activated when ever the application you selected it for is launched.

-Wifi
    Wifi control will alow you to enable wifi whenever a specific application is launched, for example your browser.

How to Use​

Your applications will be displayed in a list alphabetically, tap on the application you want to specify settings for and choose from the menu.
    To add more configurations, tap the What to Control button and check the ones you want from the list.

Screenshots​

2n0pijb.jpg
    aktjcz.jpg
    acts7o.jpg
    r251yd.jpg
    54ucrk.jpg

Changelog

Version 0.48
    Fixed error: no config working from 0.44
    Fixed bug: service not running because of splash
    Fixed bug: input method not working on some devices
    Fixed bug: rotation not working on some devices
    Fixed bug: sound modes not being applied on some devices on android 2.3.0
    Info: FONT SIZE only works for some devices

Version 0.44
    Fixed bug: rotation reversed on LG devices
    Fixed bug: max cpu speed not working on somc2012
    Sound Mode now uses 'ringer' instead of 'mute' to silence apps
    Added splash screen (on start up)

-Version 0.40
    Added support for sound modes (silent / vibrate)
    Cleaned up a bit of UI (app mode selection)
    Fixed bug: input method selection ignoring secondary keyboards

-Version 0.30
    Fixed bug: wifi turning on when service started
    Fixed bug: notification bar icon disappearing
    Added support for input method selection (keyboard)

-Version 0.20
    Fixed bug where shutting down service rebooted some devices
    Added support for wifi configuration

-Version 0.10
    Pre public release
    -permission controls

auto gps on launch would also be useful for apps like Maps
    Problem with Phone.apk

Hi there.. Wonderful thought for your app.. 5*.. However when i changed the dpi and set the settings as suggested above.. Phone.apk is still not working..

The problem is the whole system dpi has been changed.. but when iam opening the phone application the phone restarts automatically.. any suggestions for this kind of problem.. If u need i will send both phone.apk and contacts.apk to u if you can help me out..

My Device: Micromax A27
    Android Version: 2.3.5
    Rooted and init.d support

Please help me in this regard..
    And thanks a lot for your hardwork.:good:
    Great idea. Thanks for this.
    Superuser freaks out when I try to enable the CPU settings. It just loops over and over and denies it automatically. Otherwise very nicely done!