[Q] Is it possible to get ad-hoc wifi working on the HTC One S?

Search This thread

sthelen

Apr 5, 2014
Using CM 10.2 and CM 11 nightly, i have tried to setup ad-hoc wifi between multiple HTC One S phones, but there is some issue, probably with the kernel in combination with the prima_wlan driver, preventing the devices from conneting. There is a bugreport (cyanogenmod bug tracker CYAN-3799) with more details.

While researching, I realized that the official CM kernel for ville uses a quite old version (3.1.7.16) of the prima wlan driver. Using the sources from Code Aurora Forum (external/wlan/prima/) I tried building the kernel with prima wlan driver version 3.2.3.282 and 3.2.3.287, but they do not compile against the cm-11 ville kernel. For other android smartphones, I found multiple kernels which use recent prima wlan drivers (like freexperia/android_Kernel_sony_msm8x27 on github, SyNtheticNightmar3/CM_Harkness_Kernel on github, and others). With the prima wlan source from the CM Harkness Kernel, which says it is using prima wlan driver version 3.2.7.42, I could compile the cm-11 ville kernel, but flashing a complete cm-11 built with this dirver source (and the corresponding prima wlan firmware in /system/etc/firmware/wlan/prima) does not work.

The dmesg log from my cm-11 ville build using the prima driver source from the Harkness kernel (originaly from some Sony device) states the following, related to the wifi device:
Code:
<3>[   54.279261] wlan: [649:F :HDD] hdd_driver_init: WCNSS driver not ready

To be true, I have no idea, if this actually is a more general kernel issues, a driver issues, an issues with the device's firmware, a hardware issues, or just my stupidity. Does anybody here have experience with this part of the android kernel or knows how to successfully use ad-hoc mode wifi on the HTC One S? Or may just a hint on which prima device driver sources might be working for the ville?

I would very much appreciate your support!

(Sorry for the crude, external references; the forum prevents me from posting outgoing links.)