[S-Off] Facepalm S-Off for HTC Devices - Droid DNA

Search This thread

inexplicability

May 31, 2011
PHOENIX
I keep getting this and getting stuck at the white HTC screen.....i flashed a totally stock rom and kernel and still cant get past the HTC screen

(bootloader) monarudo_vibrate_device_time(): vibrate 200(ms)...
(bootloader) Boot/Recovery signature checking...
(bootloader) TZ_HTC_SVC_HASH ret = 0
(bootloader) setup_tag addr=0x80600100 cmdline add=0x003147C8
(bootloader) TAG:Ramdisk OK
(bootloader) TAG:skuid 0x32401
(bootloader) TAG:hero panel = 0x94005B
(bootloader) TAG:engineerid = 0x0
(bootloader) TAG: PS ID = 0x0
(bootloader) TAG: Gyro ID = 0x1
(bootloader) [SD_ERR] The project does not support SD card
(bootloader) E0902910 E0902E20
FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))
finished. total time: 1.136s

Anyone know what I can try?

Apparently a lot of people are having this problem (including myself).

According to the IRC, "a lot of people have the same issue. beaups thinks it might be a kernel thing, but ive tried a bunch of kernels. i even ruu'd. people are pretty stumped."

So we just have to wait I guess.

Reboot the phone by holding down power and it'll reboot ok

sabbotage

Dec 15, 2010
This is totally FRUSTRATING!

I don't understand how we can all be following the exact same instructions and get all of these different results meaning, S-OFF for some and still S-ON for others.

I have the same setup as people who this is working for in a total of 5 mins but it won't work for me.

How is this possible? UGH! I totally have more gray hair as a result of this supposedly simple and seamless process.

...and Exhale

I feel your pain. I have done 100 times more complicated processes with phones and other stuff and I can't for the life of me get mine to work either.

.torrented

Mar 7, 2011
www.cyanfox-rom.com
I keep getting this and getting stuck at the white HTC screen.....i flashed a totally stock rom and kernel and still cant get past the HTC screen

FAILED (status read failed (Too many links))
finished. total time: 1.136s

Anyone know what I can try?

The kernel that you used you say is stock, what I want to know is does that kernel have system write enabled?

djsnake210

Jul 6, 2011
Fort Worth, TX
www.tech210.com
I'm having issues with the fastboot command. when my phone is booted up I can see it just fine in my terminal window and I can see the adb driver in device manager (My HTC under Android USB Devices), but as soon as i get into the bootloader it cannot see it anymore. I get a "device not recognized" error from windows and when i do an "adb devices" command it does not list any.

Should HTC Sync Manager be installed and running or does that matter?

.torrented

Mar 7, 2011
www.cyanfox-rom.com
I'm having issues with the fastboot command. when my phone is booted up I can see it just fine in my terminal window and I can see the adb driver in device manager (My HTC under Android USB Devices), but as soon as i get into the bootloader it cannot see it anymore. I get a "device not recognized" error from windows and when i do an "adb devices" command it does not list any.

when you are in fastboot you need to do this

Code:
fastboot devices

kern3l

Jan 4, 2013
Re: [S-Off] Facepalm S-Off for HTC Devices One S, One XL, Droid DNA

At bootloader you should do:
fastboot devices

kern3l

Jan 4, 2013

Is it supposed to do something when i type that in? it just goes back to the prompt and nothing happens on the phone

btw i appreciate the guidance. normally things go smooth.... this is the first time i've ran into this issue

It lists the serial number of the device and its status ("fastboot" at bootloader)

Make sure your phone shows "fastboot usb" in the bootloader.

djsnake210

Jul 6, 2011
Fort Worth, TX
www.tech210.com
It lists the serial number of the device and its status ("fastboot" at bootloader)

Make sure your phone shows "fastboot usb" in the bootloader.

yep shows fastboot usb, but does not show any info about the phone or the status. it would make more sense if it did the same thing while the phone was booted up and i did adb devices, but that shows my device just fine. it's only in fastboot that it doesn't seem to see my phone.

CharliesTheMan

Is it supposed to do something when i type that in? it just goes back to the prompt and nothing happens on the phone

btw i appreciate the guidance. normally things go smooth.... this is the first time i've ran into this issue

I had this problem last night and had to reboot my computer. It was like fastboot or adb was running and stuck and couldnt start over.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

kern3l

Jan 4, 2013

yep shows fastboot usb, but does not show any info about the phone or the status. it would make more sense if it did the same thing while the phone was booted up and i did adb devices, but that shows my device just fine. it's only in fastboot that it doesn't seem to see my phone.

Try reconnecting your device to a different (non usb3) port.

Last edited:

buildable

Feb 14, 2013
For those getting the same thing as this user below...
I found a fix that worked for me.

I think this process refuses to work for me.

I have tried flashing a completely different ROM. I have tried flashing a different Kernel. Only to still get stuck at the HTC Flash screen.

I may have to give up on this as I have been trying to complete this since last night.

C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>fastboot oem boot
< waiting for device >
FAILED (status read failed (No such file or directory))
finished. total time: 1.228s

C:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>

I had this issue all night. Posted it on page 6 of this thread. Nothing I did, no rom change, kernal change, etc. seemed to help.
However, I did have success this morning...
I'm not sure exactly what change made it work so excuse me if you see some that seem irrelevant... maybe they are, maybe they aren't. All I know is that I got past the "SD ERR" and white boot screen forever issue.

1. I switched from twrp to CWM touch

2. Instead of using my usual ADB terminal and directory, I used Hasoon's Droid_DNA_All-In-One_Kit_v2.1 to initiate the communications. I placed the required zip and unzipped soffbin3 into the "data" directory inside Hasoon's directory.

3. I renamed the PL8320000-DNA.zip to "soff.zip"

4. using the CMD window brought up by Hasson's program, I booted into bootloader and ran each of the commands in the OP from there.

5. It worked.

If someone can make sense of this and decipher why this now works, great! All I know is that before I did it this way, I got no s-off love whatsoever. ...and now I do ;)

djsnake210

Jul 6, 2011
Fort Worth, TX
www.tech210.com
Try reconnecting your device to a different (non usb3) port.

Tried rebooting my machine and tried a different usb plug... still nothin.... totally perplexed.

i appreciate the help guys.

---------- Post added at 12:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:47 PM ----------

Tried rebooting my machine and tried a different usb plug... still nothin.... totally perplexed.

i appreciate the help guys.

Got it to work now... I think it may be that i tried yet another usb plug... or it could have been that i just downloaded additional android_usb drivers.

who knows, but it's working now.... thanks again for all of the advice fellas!

Swannyman17

Jul 29, 2012
Fargo
After about 20 min of trying it finally took. My cmd line kept saying device not found with adb commands. I uninstalled and reinstalled the HTC drivers and then I read on here to turn debug off and back on and restart the adb server. Once I did that it went no problem. For the record, my adb commands hadn't ever worked for me properly before either. Hope this helps some people who get stuck on this like I did. Otherwise, S-OFF BABY! Thanks guys!

android4temo

Mar 22, 2011
For those getting the same thing as this user below...
I found a fix that worked for me.

I had this issue all night. Posted it on page 6 of this thread. Nothing I did, no rom change, kernal change, etc. seemed to help.
However, I did have success this morning...
I'm not sure exactly what change made it work so excuse me if you see some that seem irrelevant... maybe they are, maybe they aren't. All I know is that I got past the "SD ERR" and white boot screen forever issue.

1. I switched from twrp to CWM touch

2. Instead of using my usual ADB terminal and directory, I used Hasoon's Droid_DNA_All-In-One_Kit_v2.1 to initiate the communications. I placed the required zip and unzipped soffbin3 into the "data" directory inside Hasoon's directory.

3. I renamed the PL8320000-DNA.zip to "soff.zip"

4. using the CMD window brought up by Hasson's program, I booted into bootloader and ran each of the commands in the OP from there.

5. It worked.

If someone can make sense of this and decipher why this now works, great! All I know is that before I did it this way, I got no s-off love whatsoever. ...and now I do ;)
Can you please provide a link to this kit?

djsnake210

Jul 6, 2011
Fort Worth, TX
www.tech210.com
After about 20 min of trying it finally took. My cmd line kept saying device not found with adb commands. I uninstalled and reinstalled the HTC drivers and then I read on here to turn debug off and back on and restart the adb server. Once I did that it went no problem. For the record, my adb commands hadn't ever worked for me properly before either. Hope this helps some people who get stuck on this like I did. Otherwise, S-OFF BABY! Thanks guys!

Same here... after restarting and reinstalling drivers and whatnot it finally took.... once adb was ok the commands worked perfect. S-OFF... WOOT!

Thanks a ton guys!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Welcome to Facepalm S-Off for the HTC Droid DNA

Credits and terms:

Exploit by beaups, full guide, testing, and concept by jcase and beaups. Thanks to dsb9938 and dr_drache for support and testing. Thanks also to all of the regulars at teamandirc. Thanks to jcase for recently modifiying the process to make it even easier and more reliable.

Both beaups and jcase will collect the applicable active bounties. Further donations are greatly appreciated and can be sent to:

beaups - Donate to beaups
    jcase - Donate to jcase
    dsb9938 - Donate to dsb9938
    dr_drache - Donate to dr_drache

You can also come by irc for support or just to say thanks: #FacePalm http://chat.andirc.net:8080/?channels=facepalm

While this process shouldn’t be too risky, bricks can happen. None of us will be accountable. If you are worried, don’t do it.

This is a pretty simple method, however, you will need to have a working adb and fastboot environment. This method will work on any operating system that supports adb and fastboot. You should understand how to use a terminal window in your O/S. If you don’t understand adb and fastboot, you probably don’t need S-off.

Lastly, the work herein should not be stolen, repackaged, one clicked, bat’d, etc. The binary contained in DNA-rescue.img is not GPL and may not be reused, integrated into other work, reposted, or redistributed without our permission. The kernel portion of DNA-rescue.img is derived from unmodified HTC source. That source code can be obtained from htcdev.

For this to work, you must be HTCdev unlocked and have superCID (custom recovery/root is optional), see the thread below for help and information regarding obtaining superCID, unlock, etc. If you have taken the OTA for the DNA (sw version 2.xx) without FIRST obtaining superCID, there is no superCID nor s-off method for you currently. Note this thread is provided for convenience only. Please look for support for superCID/unlock in it's proper thread, do NOT clutter this thread with support requests regarding obtaining superCID and/or unlock! If you try this process without superCID, it will not work, and you may have issues:

SuperCID for HTC Droid DNA:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2109862

Download modified boot.img:
    http://d-h.st/pQy

Download signed firmware:
    http://d-h.st/nOo 8fa1cf193559d34279d2b1c1aa8c29

1)
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

2)
    Code:
    fastboot oem rebootRUU
    (wait for black HTC Screen)

3)
    Code:
    fastboot flash zip PL8320000-DNA.zip
    After a while, You should see the following error “FAILED (remote: 92 supercid! please flush image again immediately)

4) Immediately issue the following command:
    Code:
    fastboot boot DNA-rescue.img

5) After android is FULLY booted
    Code:
    adb reboot bootloader

6) You should see what you are looking for!

If you need help or just care to say thanks, join us on IRC: #FacePalm http://chat.andirc.net:8080/?channels=facepalm

Enjoy.

Getting an error 99 instead of error 92 after step 3?

Perform a few FULL power-downs and boots. Also, others have reported clearing caches in recovery helps as well.
    rainabba,

This is not an OPEN DEVELOPMENT community, this is a public development community. We made decisions not to obfuscate what is going on, so the community could learn, but choose to keep the rights and source to the project. It is free for personal use, but not opensource and not free to distribute.

Hell I remember you flipping out over someone distributing a GPL licensed binary you compiled, you have no room to talk here.

You like to cause problems with any AndIRC related project (time and time again), you have issues with us it is very clear, but I'm going to ask you nicely to just go away. If you don't like how we handle our projects, go create your own instead of complaining.
    :cool:

Every instance so far where someone has had this issue AND succeeded seems to require AT LEAST wiping data, but sometimes as much as an RUU flash to stock, and at worst, a complete RUU, re-lock, and start from scratch as if the phone was fresh out of the box.

---------- Post added at 03:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

Why do you people keep insisting this? Because the OP "demanded" that nobody do it? That won't hold water and so far I can't see any reason a one-click can't be made. It might not be safe and since only the noobs would "need" it, it's likely a bad idea, but there are those like myself who will often create such scripts because they end up being useful for any number of reasons and I'll be damned if someone things that in an OPEN DEVELOPMENT community, that something like a SCRIPT won't be released because someone said so.

Your reply to this person is offensive on so many levels. You could at least take time to explain yourself (or link to such an explanation).
    YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!

D

Now that you guys have S-OFF, you can use my RegawMOD Bootloader Customizer!
    Just have someone make a plugin for the HTC One <insert model here> and then customize away!

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1786498
    ATTN: If you are on a DNA, PLEASE WAIT BEFORE ATTEMPTING!!

Something is not right, the method is not working regardless of if you took the OTA or not.
    Beanups will need to look into this.

It does work, just because you didn't get it working doesnt mean it doesnt work, please edit you post