[ROM] Ubuntu Touch [Mar-6-2014]

Search This thread

=JKT=

Mar 19, 2012
Hamilton
Cool! Booted it up and it seemed to run well! Pretty slick considering how young it is. It's obviously got a little ways to go with some additional polish, but this is a project I will certainly keep an eye on.

(edit: I'm referring to the Ubuntu touch project. Your work is great!! )

It's amazing how reliant I realized I am on not only my smartphone, but the specific apps I use. Trying out a custom rom is one thing buy a whole new os is a big step!

Sent by my Nexus 6 through tears in rain.

Last edited:

amedian

Jan 31, 2012
ankara
General Mobile GM 5 Plus
It should.... Let me know if not.
Ohh man its really great job, How about E975 ? i am downloading your last zip files on mediafire. i am going to try install on recovery i hope its work for us too. Thank you so much.

Edit: Man its working on e975 but ther is a litlle buggy, i hope it will fix cause i really would like to use ubuntu for daily usage anyway it is realy nice os thanks again.

Last edited:

Haze028

Jun 29, 2011
Would I be able to flash this on e975?

Sent from my LG-E975 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Ohh man its really great job, How about E975 ? i am downloading your last zip files on mediafire. i am going to try install on recovery i hope its work for us too. Thank you so much.

Edit: Man its working on e975 but ther is a litlle buggy, i hope it will fix cause i really would like to use ubuntu for daily usage anyway it is realy nice os thanks again.

I get confused by all the variants.... This is made using a mako device tree converted to 973 with SD support. So the Canadian and at&t will work 8mp camera/SD card. If you normally can flash a Canadian or at&t ROM then this should work. Next chance I have to sit down in front of my computer I'll try to make a version for all That can't boot this.

E975ers try it and Let me know....

Reactions: adwienc and amedian

steffenbakke

Jun 6, 2013
I get confused by all the variants.... This is made using a mako device tree converted to 973 with SD support. So the Canadian and at&t will work 8mp camera/SD card. If you normally can flash a Canadian or at&t ROM then this should work. Next chance I have to sit down in front of my computer I'll try to make a version for all That can't boot this.

Ill try when I get home

steffenbakke

Jun 6, 2013
Ill try when I get home

*Edit* just tried installing it flashed the geeb and then the Ubuntu file, and it was booting, it just stayed black because of the none existing boot animation, but it didn't get into the phone, I tried letting it boot for 30 minutes nothing happens. Tried the older geeb file that's in the same dropbox folder, same thing happens

Haze028

Jun 29, 2011
*Edit* just tried installing it flashed the geeb and then the Ubuntu file, and it was booting, it just stayed black because of the none existing boot animation, but it didn't get into the phone, I tried letting it boot for 30 minutes nothing happens. Tried the older geeb file that's in the same dropbox folder, same thing happens

Most likely because I'm using a different vendor repo than the 975 needs... I'll look at changing thing later

Reactions: steffenbakke

amedian

Jan 31, 2012
ankara
General Mobile GM 5 Plus

man, the 4th zip file working for me (e975)i installed with your recovery instroduction thank you so much. but last one i think it was 14th not not booting, just black screen its interesting that with your 4th zip file the ubuntu touch recognize my phone as optimus g. i thought its shown as Nexus 4. So i thougt ubuntu maybe can support us as offically but its not. it tryed update with ubuntu touch software and nothing happened. and man did you see that http://youtu.be/MaVAMGv3tI4 there is a port sailfish os on nexus 4 it is look nice too

steffenbakke

Jun 6, 2013
Got it to boot, only problems for me is that it doesn't detect my sim card(it does on every other ROM), everytime I reboot I have to retype the code for wi-fi, it has a lot of freezes

ch33sy

Sep 17, 2007
Hi I would love to try this on my ATT E970 and am a little confused as to which zips to flash. Could you list the files in order I need to flash in recovery to run this. Many thanks!

Haze028

Jun 29, 2011
Hi I would love to try this on my ATT E970 and am a little confused as to which zips to flash. Could you list the files in order I need to flash in recovery to run this. Many thanks!

The Ubuntu-geeb010814.zip needs to be flashed first, then the trusty-preinstalled zip. Both are in the same Geeb Zip link in the OP

The first is the android component, the second is the ubuntu file system/ui

With work and home I still havn't gotten around to fixing whatever broke and stopped us booting the nightlies, so we'll still have to make due with the older version for now.

Reactions: ch33sy and adzidek

ch33sy

Sep 17, 2007
The Ubuntu-geeb010814.zip needs to be flashed first, then the trusty-preinstalled zip. Both are in the same Geeb Zip link in the OP

The first is the android component, the second is the ubuntu file system/ui

With work and home I still havn't gotten around to fixing whatever broke and stopped us booting the nightlies, so we'll still have to make due with the older version for now.

Thanks! Got it to run ^__^ but found out that its still pretty far from being my daily driver ROM

Will keep on eye its development!

Haze028

Jun 29, 2011
Thanks! Got it to run ^__^ but found out that its still pretty far from being my daily driver ROM

Will keep on eye its development!

Yeah, not a daily driver my any means yet...still glitchy and lacking some key functions, like alarms.... It's actually a little further along than what we have currently because we're not using the nightly Ubuntu builds right now. The current nightly Ubuntu build is over 50mb larger than the one we need to flash right now, so that's really quite a few changes that would have been made.

Again i'll try to get to it as soon as i can, though i can't commit to a date to have it booting with the current nightlies again.

steffenbakke

Jun 6, 2013
Yeah, not a daily driver my any means yet...still glitchy and lacking some key functions, like alarms.... It's actually a little further along than what we have currently because we're not using the nightly Ubuntu builds right now. The current nightly Ubuntu build is over 50mb larger than the one we need to flash right now, so that's really quite a few changes that would have been made.

Again i'll try to get to it as soon as i can, though i can't commit to a date to have it booting with the current nightlies again.

Still the problem with e975 not detecting sim card, and forgets wi-fi code everytime it reboots. Atleast for me

PHRuiz

May 8, 2013
Hi, I want to know if you got the rom running with new builds, this thread seems to be dead since the last month, any updates on this? I'll be very happy to install this amazing OS on my e970

Haze028

Jun 29, 2011
Hi, I want to know if you got the rom running with new builds, this thread seems to be dead since the last month, any updates on this? I'll be very happy to install this amazing OS on my e970
Unfortunately haven't had a chance to get back to it. But I'm finally free this weekend... So if all goes well we'll be back on track

That is to say I haven't abandoned this... Just lacking time..

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Better explaination of Ubuntu OS and how it relates to us.

Ubuntu OS currently run on top of an Android "shell". The android layer contains the boot.img(kernel/ramdisk), initd, vendor specific drivers etc.. This is what first boots then the ubuntu file system is loaded within this Android "shell". This is why we need flash two zips to have it working(Android and Ubuntu). Ubuntu uses CM10.1 repos for the Android shell portion of the OS. This still works for us as we had official cm 10.1, though development wasn't long lived before moving to 10.2.
    There is an AOSP 4.4.2 branch Ubuntu is working on to maybe replace the CM based Android component, but it is currently less stable than the CM based. Hopefully the AOSP branch becomes more stable in the near future as the development for our device is active there.

Built from source using modified mako tree/kernel
    Working:
    Most things..
    Power key works to turn screen on and off after a reboot
    Phone/SMS
    3G/Wifi
    Camera

Bugs/Not Working:
    1. Cannot seem to add account with numbers in the email. The back button is active under the keyboard and is activated when trying to switch to numerical keypad
    To Import Google Contacts from computer terminal:
    adb shell

sudo -u phablet -i

syncevolution --configure --sync-property "username=email@gmail.com" --sync-property "password=secret" Google_Contacts

syncevolution --sync refresh-from-server Google_Contacts addressbook
    2. Vol. Keys/Caps not working... doubt cap keys will be supported as the ui is made for not having them.
    3. Wifi not remembered after reboot
    4. Alarms don't work

Install from recovery:
    1. Make your Nandroid to return to
    2. Full Wipe
    3. Install geeb zip
    4. Install ubuntu zip - This is SLOW
    5. Reboot and try - There is no boot animation so just be patient.. it boots

Downloads:
    Geeb Zip

Ubuntu Zip
    Ubuntu Touch change log

Don't Forget to hit the Thanks!
    could you also provide an e975 build please?

I will do that soon, I promise.

Good news is, I'm back to booting again. I'll fix it up a bit and put out a zip either later tonight or tomorrow.

At first glance, it's alot more snappy and screen rotation is working nicely. havn't played too much, as i need to make some changes to get network and such working properly. only wifi right now.. but i expected that.... anyways i'll have it up with network data and all soon..

New Build Is Up!!
    could you also provide an e975 build please?

Ok, I'm currently building my first try at e975. I'll post it here when it is done. I do not guarantee it will work, I made changes to the kernel config based on differences between e970 and e975 from cyanogen. made some changes to the device repo also, just not sure what changes need to be made so not sure if i got them all.

if it doesn't boot i'll try again, see what else i can find.

*I cant test this myself, I think it is safe but I've never built for e975.*

Give this a try, let me know how it goes.
    Can i flash this on geehrc?why do we need to flash geeb.zip?thanks.

Sent from my Optimus G using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Its not for sprint yet.....I'll work on that this weekend hopefully.

The geeb.zip is needed because of how Ubuntu touch works. Its currently using a mako device tree that has been converted to flash on my e973, the at&t is pretty much the exact same which is why it works for them.

First you flash a cm10.1 based Ubuntu tweaked android sysyem-- geeb.zip
    Second is the Ubuntu rootfs that goes atop the android base-- Ubuntu zip
    Just for something new to try.......Ubuntu Touch(Trusty) for the Geeb. Though not a daily driver by any means.....barely useable in most respects currently.

Built from source using modified mako tree/kernel

Working:
    Phone/SMS
    3G/Wifi
    Camera

Bugs/Not Working:
    Keyboard crashes
    Unable to add account
    Unable to install programs which is due to 2...which is do to 1....barely functional until fixed
    Vol. Keys/Caps not working... doubt cap keys will be supported.

There are really alot more bugs...alot...but those are the two key

Install from recovery:
    1. Make your Nandroid to return to
    2. Full Wipe
    3. Install geeb zip
    4. Install ubuntu zip - This is SLOW
    5. Reboot and try - There is no boot animation so just be patient.. it boots

Downloads:
    Geeb Zip
    Ubuntu Zip

Don't Forget to hit the Thanks!

I don't know if this thread is helpful for you, or maybe you've alreay seen it:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2587823

i tried it and it booted successful on my geehrc. Wifi worked, also keyboard and i could add an account too. Phone/SMS didn't work due no signal. The keyboard had also one severe bug: In the terminal the enter key didn't work.
    It's worth a try, you can easily remove it, you just have to reflash your recovery ( in my case TWRP ).