Foldable bluetooth keyboard

Search This thread

david-v

Jan 13, 2007
's-Hertogenbosch
www.a701.org
Hello,

I just saw this announcement from Brando about a foldable keyboard and what a surprise when a saw the PDA they use as example...:). Looks pretty cool to me and a very good gadget for our Touch HD. Does anyone have it already?

ULIFE022900_01_L.jpg

trondkk

Aug 10, 2005
Bykle
Hi.
I have both these keyboards. The diNovo Mini is used for my HTPC. Works perfectly for that purpose! Haven't tried it for use with WM6.1.
The Brando keyboard is exactly like the keyboard I use for my Touch HD although mine is HP iPAQ-branded. It works great for normal typing. Haven't gotten the 'special keys' to work though...

What I'm really missing is that since this keyboard is Int'l English the Norwegian letters Æ Ø and Å are sadly missing. On a PC it is easy to get the language-layout you want on the keyboard regardless.
Is there a way to achieve the same result with a BT keyboard on a Touch HD (or other Windows Mobile)?

Last edited:

Bernhard005

Jan 2, 2008
Hi.

Any chance to get this keyboard with a QWERTZ layout? Or is it possible to change the Y/Z-Keys in WM? (Using it as QWERTZ but with a "wrong" caption)

Bernhard

seth73

Jan 24, 2009
Hello,

I just saw this announcement from Brando about a foldable keyboard and what a surprise when a saw the PDA they use as example...:). Looks pretty cool to me and a very good gadget for our Touch HD. Does anyone have it already?

Hi,

I have a Foldable BT Keyboard too,looks very similar, but afaik its the "Freedom Keyboard" labeled from Level1. I bought it in 2007 for another PDA, and now it works with the Touch HD without problems.
One can put 10 Fn-key combinations to the Number-keys (btw the software in the picture seems to be the same like the one i have on the PDA)

greetings

Norbert

Last edited:

Bernhard005

Jan 2, 2008
Hi,

I have a Foldable BT Keyboard too,looks very similar, but afaik its the "Freedom Keyboard" labeled from Level1. I bought it in 2007 for another PDA, and now it works with the Touch HD without problems.
One can put 10 Fn-key combinations to the Number-keys (btw the software in the picture seems to be the same like the one i have on the PDA)

greetings

Norbert
So, could you tell me please if it is possible, to change the key-layout in this software?

Thanks

BANE

Dec 20, 2005
Belfast
I've used the Think outside bluetooth keyboard and more recently the I-Go bluetooth keyboard (exact same product , different name). I find it excellent with such a small footprint. I've actually used it as my main desktop keyboard for over a year and a half (I have a pretty Ultra mobile setup).

I wonder though, why the brando has the slot to hold the handset on the far left? I prefer the I-Go's central placement, means you can turn the phone in landscape mode and use it like that for email, msn etc...

BANE

Jan 31, 2009
APPLE Keyboard BT with TyTN but not with Touch HD - Why ???

Hi,
I have ....and now it works with the Touch HD without problems.
Norbert

I used an Apple BT Aluminium Keyboard with my old TyTN but I am not able to use it with my very new HD. The keyboard is paired with difficoulty but after pairing there is no way to print in Word or even in Mail or SMS. On both devices I had installed the Resco Keyboard (may it give problems ? but why not on TyTN ?). Before I buy the Freedom I would like to know if anybody could give me his suggestion.
Thanks.

Oleander

Mar 15, 2006
Søborg
Hi.
What I'm really missing is that since this keyboard is Int'l English the Norwegian letters Æ Ø and Å are sadly missing. On a PC it is easy to get the language-layout you want on the keyboard regardless.
Is there a way to achieve the same result with a BT keyboard on a Touch HD (or other Windows Mobile)?

Have you tried out the program "AE Keyboard Mapper"?

http://ae.inc.ru/aekmap.php

trondkk

Aug 10, 2005
Bykle
Thanks Oleander!
AE Keyboard Mapper does the trick as it supports my HP BT Keyboard.
Sadly Norwegian keyboard layout is not supported as a default layout so I have some work ahead of me. Have understood the basics and have remapped the 3 Norwegian letters ÆØÅ æøå to their respective keys on the HW keyboard.
Now this great keyboard will get even more useful!

Last edited:

ONLawson

May 2, 2007
Hi.

The Brando keyboard is exactly like the keyboard I use for my Touch HD although mine is HP iPAQ-branded. It works great for normal typing. Haven't gotten the 'special keys' to work though...

Hi there

I have the HP ipaq branded version of this keyboard and can't use it with my Touch HD. I'm about to sell it on Ebay - do you have a driver for it? The drivers that came with the keyboard won't install!

Would be great if you could help!

Alternatively, I've seen various pages on the web about getting the Apple small form factor BT keyboard to work on Windows Mobile, but went into a shop today and although the KB paired up fine it wouldn't type. Anyone know anything about this?

Last edited:

trondkk

Aug 10, 2005
Bykle
Hi. I did not need the drivers for the HP iPAQ keyboard. I just paired the keyboard to my Touch HD and was up and running. Limited functionality though - 'Fn'-key combinations do not work for me with or without drivers. Guess they are iPAQ-specific.

As I mentioned before the AE Keyboard Mapper suggested by Oleander enabled me to get the Norwegian/Danish letters ÆØÅ (and really any layout you might want). You may probably emulate the Fn-key combinations as well if you wanted to.

My approach for installation was this:
-Pressing the BT-key on the keyboard for several seconds so LED lights up (discoverable)
-Search for new BT device on my Touch HD
-Add BT Keyboard from the list of discovered devices and provide numeric key on Touch HD
-Repeat the numeric key on the BT Keyboard, finishing with 'Enter'
-TADAAA, keyboard paired with Touch HD and working great!

trondkk

Aug 10, 2005
Bykle
Don't know about availablility for the keyboard itself I'm afraid, but the aforementioned AE Keyboard Mapper should let you choose any layout and lock any ASCII-char to any HW-key.

binning

Mar 31, 2007
I use the stowaway i-go keyboard (branded as dell in my case).

Altough the official website says it doens't support the HTC Touch HD I can confirm it works fine with WM5 drivers.

lie_ui

Oct 12, 2005
TX, US
I also use the stowaway (igo) keyboard. It works great with the Touch HD.
If you use the built in Windows driver (HID) the keyboard works except for all the shortcuts marked in the keyboard. If you install the stowaway driver, then all of the shorcuts will work fine. The stowaway driver however, always cause an error everytime you open up the setting screen. Turn off error reporting in WM will make this dissappear, but not sure what exactly the error was reported.

Also, in Citrix/Remote Desktop, the space key of the keyboard does not seem to work. I'm not sure why. All other keys work fine, so really you cannot type a sentence because the space does not work. In Windows Mobile, no problem like this.

JMes

Jul 20, 2005
iGo Stowaway Keyboard

I also use this keyboard. I have two questions:
(i) I used the HID profile in advance settings. This created a small logo next to the bluetooth logo. Is this reversable? In other words how do I deactivate the HID profile and return to the default profile?
(ii) how do I get accented characters (often I type in Spanish or FRench?

Thanks

JMes

anthony.b

Mar 19, 2009
JMes and lie_ui ?

Do you use the black sierra model with the removeable stand or, do you use the older grey model that has the built in stand ?