Nabi 2 Root and Gapps Install

Search This thread

Nilsonf

Nov 16, 2011
Anyone know where I can get info on how to install twrp on a Nabi Jr? I tried the NabiLab GUI but don't think twrp was installing cause its on 4.1.2

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

WFG

May 26, 2009
Las Vegas
Anyone know where I can get info on how to install twrp on a Nabi Jr? I tried the NabiLab GUI but don't think twrp was installing cause its on 4.1.2

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Fastboot.. You'll need adb and fastboot drivers.. Just follow the directions found in the following post http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2391468

I recommend this post for adb and fastboot http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2317790

If your computer doesn't recognize the nabi Jr. The following post is a good resources for getting the proper drivers http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1983470

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

Reactions: Nilsonf

\m/

Dec 1, 2012
Albany, IN
All 4 Nabis are set up and ready to go, and with custom lockscreens courtesy of user katinatez! Just wanna thank every one of you who spend so much of your time and devotion to help us noobs on here, especially aic who has found ways to rise above the limitations and explored the possibilities of this fine electronic device. Without you guys, we'd all probably end up with iPads (calm down, it was just a joke). Seriously though, thank each and every one of you for all of your dedication and support. You guys are all rock stars!

Happy Holidays!

yournamehere

Mar 8, 2010
Sorry for the late reply, I seemed to forget the golden rule of flashing roms, always always always wipe clean. That fixed all my problems and even increased the screen res. I guess I was still stuck on the ics res. Now icons are smaller and a few added to the launcher bar thing in mommy mode. Thanks to all that have helped. It's a great gift and my girl loves it.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using xda app-developers app

Beatle405

May 17, 2010
Okay, I've screwed up pretty big I think.

First off, I'm not new to rooting or pushing firmware. I've done many phones and a few tablets, but I'm in a position I haven't been in before with this Nabi 2. I got distracted while trying to unroot my sons Nabi, trying to get the latest update, and completely wiped everything. I mean everything. No OS period. As soon as I power on, it goes to the recovery screen, TWRP. I've downloaded the newest .zip files from a previous thread, 2311StockRom, and the addon, but for some reason I cannot get them flashed.

I will readily admit I may be missing something easy, distractions from Christmas and all, but I am at a loss. Can I push the files using ODIN? I'm basically trying to go stock, with the newest update that includes Google Play, and then root. Thanks.

Edit: Now, I've even lost the TWRP. Goes to the Nabi symbol and just loops.

Last edited:

katinatez

Mar 17, 2011
Okay, I've screwed up pretty big I think.

First off, I'm not new to rooting or pushing firmware. I've done many phones and a few tablets, but I'm in a position I haven't been in before with this Nabi 2. I got distracted while trying to unroot my sons Nabi, trying to get the latest update, and completely wiped everything. I mean everything. No OS period. As soon as I power on, it goes to the recovery screen, TWRP. I've downloaded the newest .zip files from a previous thread, 2311StockRom, and the addon, but for some reason I cannot get them flashed.

I will readily admit I may be missing something easy, distractions from Christmas and all, but I am at a loss. Can I push the files using ODIN? I'm basically trying to go stock, with the newest update that includes Google Play, and then root. Thanks.

Edit: Now, I've even lost the TWRP. Goes to the Nabi symbol and just loops.
Try flashing the 2.6.3 TWRP for Ice Cream V4.0 with fastboot command, then download the last ice cream firmware 2.1.27 unzip place files in a folder structure TWRP/BACKUPS/your serial #/name of backup (example 2.1.27) preferably in an external card.

Hold power button & volume + scroll down to recovery kernal and restore from twrp from external. Boot up do the ota to current 2.3.11 then flash JB twrp recovery 4.1

All the files you need are here http://xdaforums.com/wiki/Fuhu_nabi_2

you have to enter bootloader then next
command is" fastboot flash recovery recovery.img "
Good luck

Last edited:

plaster

Nov 11, 2007
Houston
Is anybody here having touch screen issues? Basically, the touch screen is registering random clicks. It's most prominent while swiping in the app drawer and the play store. It will just decide you clicked on an icon/app and open them accordingly. Having an app launch while simply navigating the app drawer, or switching between nabi mode pages is exceptionally annoying. It's at it's absolute worst while the tablet is laying flat. It's borderline broken in that position. I have the Nickelodeon version, 2nd one actually after returning the first because of this issue. The odds of getting two different nabi 2 tablets with the same flaw just seems astronomical. The first came with ICS, which I immediately OTAed to JB. The second had JB preloaded, but to had to have a couple OTAs for the newer nick apps. I didn't mess with ICS on the first tablet, so I can't say if this issue was caused by the update to JB. Any help would be appreciated.

It is rooted with Gapps installed. I ran a factory reset to remove gapps and root, but the issue remained. Could having TWRP in place of the factory recovery cause such an issue?

racer25x

Feb 26, 2011
Is anybody here having touch screen issues? Basically, the touch screen is registering random clicks.

I have an original Nabi and it's always been "hiccupy" re: touchscreen. The issue is significantly more noticeable when the charger is plugged in (or if the battery has heated up due to recent use/charging)

It's been like this since I bought it (on Black Friday 2012) and software updates don't seem to have had any effect on the issue.

to "work around" the issue, I keep mine on the charger when I'm not using it and try to use a stylus if I'm going to be on it long enough that using it will cause the battery to heat up. That, and I use a bluetooth controller for most of my gaming on it (so that I don't have to touch the screen all that often)

katinatez

Mar 17, 2011
Is anybody here having touch screen issues? Basically, the touch screen is registering random clicks. It's most prominent while swiping in the app drawer and the play store. It will just decide you clicked on an icon/app and open them accordingly. Having an app launch while simply navigating the app drawer, or switching between nabi mode pages is exceptionally annoying. It's at it's absolute worst while the tablet is laying flat. It's borderline broken in that position. I have the Nickelodeon version, 2nd one actually after returning the first because of this issue. The odds of getting two different nabi 2 tablets with the same flaw just seems astronomical. The first came with ICS, which I immediately OTAed to JB. The second had JB preloaded, but to had to have a couple OTAs for the newer nick apps. I didn't mess with ICS on the first tablet, so I can't say if this issue was caused by the update to JB. Any help would be appreciated.

It is rooted with Gapps installed. I ran a factory reset to remove gapps and root, but the issue remained. Could having TWRP in place of the factory recovery cause such an issue?

I have a friend that brought me a nabi 2 tablet with touchscreen issues asking me to fix it. But his touchscreen issues started when his son threw the tablet on the ground. It was horrible to try to navigate the tablet, I could not do anything to fix the tablet. I know the difficulty you are facing.

I bought repair or replace tablet insurance from squaretrade.com for $30 a tablet. I think you have thirty days after purchase of tablet to purchase insurance. Also ensquared.com has tablet insurance but more expensive but they also cover theft.

plaster

Nov 11, 2007
Houston
I picked it up at Walmart, along with the protection plan. They have a 15 day return policy. I may just have to return this one and try to get the non nickelodeon version. I disabled auto rotate in the settings and that has helped a little. I'd say its probably an issue with the accelerometer. Anybody know where I would be able to download a flashable ICS ROM? If it is a jelly bean issue, I could handle having ICS. My 3yr old wouldn't possibly know the difference. What he would notice is the more responsive touchscreen.

Sent from my Optimus G using Tapatalk

katinatez

Mar 17, 2011
I picked it up at Walmart, along with the protection plan. They have a 15 day return policy. I may just have to return this one and try to get the non nickelodeon version. I disabled auto rotate in the settings and that has helped a little. I'd say its probably an issue with the accelerometer. Anybody know where I would be able to download a flashable ICS ROM? If it is a jelly bean issue, I could handle having ICS. My 3yr old wouldn't possibly know the difference. What he would notice is the more responsive touchscreen.

All the files to Nabi are here but am not familiar with Nickelodeon version, but you could look here and see what you need.

http://xdaforums.com/wiki/Fuhu_nabi_2

Reactions: plaster

Eric Karz

Oct 30, 2012

just wondering if you have tried the built in accelerometer calibration
its in setting/display/Accelerometer calibration
also
in Developers options/input - put a tck in "show touches"
this can help show you whats going on
HTH

plaster

Nov 11, 2007
Houston
just wondering if you have tried the built in accelerometer calibration
its in setting/display/Accelerometer calibration
also
in Developers options/input - put a tck in "show touches"
this can help show you whats going on
HTH

Yes, first thing I did after looking for an option to calibrate the touch screen. According to fuhu, the tablet auto calibrates the touch screen on boot. Not sure how it can do that without some manual input, but the option doesn't exist, so can't dwell on it.

I did try the show touches and it acts as if I'm tapping the screen in the same place about 20 times in a second. When it does start doing this, attempting to long press on keyboard keys results in the letter being repeated, not unlike holding key on an actual PC keyboard. If you're in an app, say an angry birds level, tapping the back nav button should take you back to the stage select. Instead it acts as if you repeatedly tapped the back button, exiting all the way back to the tablets home screen.

Again, this is the second nabi 2. One had ICS and the next had JB right out of the box. That means the one I have now was manufactured nearly a year after the first nabi 2. It just seems so unlikely that both are broken in the same way. Unless its actually a flaw in the nick version. I updated the first to JB without using ICS at all, so I don't know if it is just a bug with the Nick edition JB update.

To the point, I want to install ICS to see if its still there. Is there any hardware differences between the 3 nabi 2 editions? Shouldn't the nick and Disney editions be able to run the standard nabi 2 ROM? I could really care less about the pre-loaded bloat. I'm sure they have different boot loaders, but if the hardware is identical, you would think it should run any nabi 2 ROM. If its an instant brick, let me know in advance. lol

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Code:
    #include /* * Your warranty is now void. * * I am not responsible for bricked devices, dead SD cards, * thermonuclear war, or you getting fired because the alarm app failed. Please * do some research if you have any concerns about features included in this ROM * before flashing it! YOU are choosing to make these modifications, and if * you point the finger at me for messing up your device, I will laugh at you. */

Here comes the root for the Nabi 2 and how to install fully work GApps.

You must have a basic working knowledge of adb and have it installed. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1590800
    Also ensure you have fastboot installed and working

attachment.php

1. Ensure you have latest updates
    2. Download jmzrootpackage.zip from here
    3. Extract files to desktop
    4. Plug in phone
    5. Choose from which option you want

Recovery was built by me but Dees_Troy pointed me in the right direction a couple times
    This thread has slowed down...

Got a new tool for you guys to play with.

Nabi Lab!

EDIT: I found a bug today. During lock screen modding the 1st prompt tells you image must be 1440x903, and the second 1400x903. The proper size is 1440 x 903

haha

Drivers.
    Root, backup, gapps,
    Return to stock condition.
    TWRP recoveries.(new symlinked partitions) see if this fixes some of the last of the TWRP errors for different Nabi's
    General Information display
    Lockscreen modding(Saves the zip to folder besides installing, hopefully makes it easier for people to do it, and we can get some sharing of lockscreens)

This is very much alpha. If you play with it you have to have a backup, until bugs are worked out.

There is a lite version and a full version. Only difference is lite doesn't have a full 1.9.37 stock backup, so it's 100MB, versus 1.2GB. Any fixes will be small patches 1MB at the most. Full version is really only for those needing to go back to stock and don't have a backup.

Lite: https://www.box.com/s/z8f6ibz05h22jzm4uxx4 93MB
    Lite: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B024tOntNFbbMU95N1g3c2tXSHc 93MB
    Full: https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B024tOntNFbbU0E5cm1GdFUxRFE 1.2GB

I have worked through a restore to stock, flash Gapps, Root, and make backup. Installed TWRP. Changed lockscreen. Installed drivers. So I believe it's safe at this point to have a few people test. Read the directions. I'll upload a video showing it in action if you're hesitant. I'd like a few testers to work through the screens. Plug in multiple Android devices and see if it detects the conflict. It doesn't always stop you if you have 2 devices plugged in, just see if it's warning you. Try a few things out and see what bugs there are.

You Tube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvrooV9aPyI

nabilab.png

nabilab1.png

nabilab2.png

nabilab3.png

nabilab4.png
    Well this is a HUGE mess now is it! Are we all bathing in children's tears... :p

I think most of the 2nd OTA issues stem from either TWRP deleting some files to protect it's self, or the fact people have taken ROM restores, which unlike going the OTA route don't deal with any changes to the addon partition, and the 2nd OTA is not seeing the files on that partition it expects.

For those that completed the first OTA but not the second this might get around the issues, by deleting recovery checks, and copying the full apks to addon. Use TWRP to "install it"

OTA2mod

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The second method might help people that have a complete disaster going on.

Download the first file. It is the stock rom for 2.3.11. You need to put it in TWRP/BACKUPS/XXX/folder where "XXX "is your serial and "folder" is a name of your choice. "Restore" from this folder boot and system

This will give you the stock ROM but it will not be bootable because you are still on ICS bootloader, and you have made no proper changes to addon. So BEFORE reboot take the second file addonfix and "install" it. It should install stock 2.3.11 addons, update the bootloader and perform some Nabi setup magic. Now reboot.

2311stockROM

addonfix.zip

Keep in mind the need to switch TWRP version afterward. http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=47306565&postcount=67

Hopefully this helps the normal US users straight. Still have a couple people with partition mods that need to be undone, and I'm not sure what to do about the UK users. I have someone who said they would give me a stock UK image, but I haven't got it yet, and I'm not sure how that is going to help with those that want this update on a UK version, but it could at least get them back to where they started if this isnt working for them.
    You all get the new update v2.4.6?

States as Google Security Fixes. I uploaded it for you all if you need or want it. Pulled it from my Nabi2. Have not installed it yet. Want to check it out first.

Download : v2.4.6 OTA ( 165 MB )

Yep. Seems a rather simple update when peeking inside. Does another bootloader update though. TWRP still works fine.

Here is the full stock Nabi 2.4.6 image. system, boot, addon, recovery

246stock.zip

Here is a flashable bootloader update

JB246bootloader

With those 2 files it should allow any Nabi in any condition to return to stock 2.4.6. Like the previous procedure extract the images to your TWRP backup folder and restore all, then before reboot "install" the JB246bootloader.zip. Basically this http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=51037177&postcount=21 but with 246stock.zip in place of 2311stock and 2311addon zips, and the 246 bootloader zip instead of the old JBbootloader zip

Then here are some TWRP flashable OTA's, we are all kind of all over the map so making an update for everyone isn't so easy.

First TWRP flashable zip is for anyone that has rooted, has done a lock screen mod, used the 4 way reboot menu, or edited the build.prop. It will undo those changes and then do OTA

2311to246.zip

The second I have no idea if will even work. It's for anyone that applied the minimal Nabi zip awhile back. I can't test it but it ignores all those files. DONT use this one unless you know you flashed the minimal Nabi and even then it may not work.

2311to246minimal.zip

Finally I new TWRP

Nabi Specific: Add 2.4.6 kernel

TWRP Changes

Add GUI option to change or repair file systems on individual partitions. The change is destructive so backup your data including internal sdcard first. This option should make it a little easier to migrate a device from ext4 -> f2fs, for instance. You will find this option under Wipe -> Advanced Wipe, then select only one partition and then press the Repair or Change File System button. If a developer has added f2fs support for your device and we don't have it in TWRP, please contact me via PM to arrange for it to be added.
    Various bugfixes to backup and restore
    Improvements to USB storage handling
    Added a class to search for files to make finding the correct brightness file automatic in most cases
    Various other bugfixes and tweaks

NABI2JBTWRP271.zip (fastboot)

twrp-recovery-JBNV7AUS-271.zip (flashable)

Latest device tree for building recovery with Omni 4.4.4 as base with 2.4.6 kernel

https://github.com/aicjofs/android_device_fuhu_mt799_omni

There ya go just enough to cause a lot of chaos. It's been too quite around here anyway... :p
    Ok I managed to fit everything in the recovery(exfat/super user) at 8MB and changed the color space so that Aroma works but the colors aren't all crazy. Added the Nabi theme back in.

3.0.13 users can flash 285 for KK

Everyone else(Disney, Nick, UK, original 2.4.6 and below) should use 285 for JB
    EDIT: Note Disney and Nick have received KK update since this post was made.