[MOD][HOWTO]TW Launcher with different grid sizes

Search This thread

garyd9

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I was going to re-post the apk's I pulled together for modifying the samsung touchwiz launcher to have an extra row of icon space on the home screens and an extra column as well. However, there's a better solution:

THIS IS A HOWTO. This isn't a "download the attached file and donate to me" thread. This is a thread intended to help people to learn how to modify their own devices. If all you want is something pre-made to install on your phone, there are several good customized firmwares (ROMs) available in this subforum. The attached files are so people can download a working example to compare to their own work. Please keep this in mind when replying to the thread.

First, a link to another thread that explains how to modify the launcher. These instructions are for a galaxy S III, but they work just fine for the Note II:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=27433971

That's not my thread and 99.9% of any credit for this should be given to the person who posted the that thread and the people from whom that person learned from.

Now, I found I didn't like these directions as-is. First, I thought the icon labels got too truncated when using this with 5 columns. Second, I really didn't like how this mod moved the little "page" indicator dots below the docked icons. (The photo's on this thread don't show that, but if you follow the directions, they are moved.)

So, I spent a few hours playing with sizes and such to get things to look a bit better (from my perspective.) That's how I came up with the apk's I posted a week or so ago.

Below, I'll dump my notes on the measurements that I kept so I could reproduce the changes I did (for the next firmware update.) They don't make much sense on their own, but if you combine them with the above linked thread, they make perfect sense. Keep in mind that these are my notes and not even an attempt as a tutorial.

Now, these notes are YOUR notes as well. Please use them, change them to suite your own desires, or ignore them.

There's only one thing better than downloading a custom firmware for your phone: Customizing that firmware yourself.

Code:
SecLauncher2... modifying the grid sizes

To enable scrolling on any of these:

res/values/bools.xml:  change fixedWallpaperOffset to "false" (to turn on scrolling)

The rest of the files to edit are all in "res/values-sw359dp-xhdpi"

For 4x5 (extra vertical row):

integers.xml:

<integer name="home_cellCountX">4</integer>
    <integer name="home_cellCountY">5</integer>

dimens.xml

<dimen name="app_icon_size">44.0dip</dimen>

<dimen name="home_cellWidth_port">80.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="home_cellHeight_port">90.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="home_cellGapX_port">10.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="home_cellGapY_port">2.0dip</dimen>

<dimen name="home_pageMarginPlusPaddingTop">12.0dip</dimen>

<dimen name="home_pageIndicatorTop">484.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="home_pageIndicatorTopShrunken">484.0dip</dimen>

For 5x4 (extra horiz column):

use the 4x5 and 5x5 to figure it out.

for 5x5 (both extra row and extra column):

integers.xml

<integer name="home_cellCountX">5</integer>

dimens.xml

<dimen name="home_cellWidth_port">68.0dip</dimen>
    <dimen name="home_cellGapX_port">4.0dip</dimen>

styles.xml  (this is needed for 5 columns or the icon labels get truncated - the change is only the textSize)

<style name="HomeIcon" parent="@style/BaseHomeIcon">
        <item name="android:textSize">12.0dip</item>
As a bonus, I'll also upload some apk files that already have these changes in place. My primary intention for uploading them is to serve as an example, but they are fully functional on a stock i317 firmware.

If you want to use them as-is, do a backup first. Then figure out which you want based on the name. (4x5 is 4 columns and 5 rows IN ADDITION to the dock row. if "scroll" is in the name, the wallpaper will scroll, else it won't.) Then rename the file to "SecLauncher2.apk", and use something like root explorer (that allows you to write to the /system/app partition) and overwrite the existing file by the same name. After you do that, your home launcher will get a little nutty for a second or three, and then it'll work fine. (If it doesn't, restore the backup.)

(If you download one of these files with IE, the file extension might get changed from "apk" to "zip" If so, just change it back to .apk.)

Take care
Gary

Attachments

• SecLauncher2.4x5.apk
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,852
  • SecLauncher2.4x5.scroll.apk
    2.5 MB · Views: 1,313
  • SecLauncher2.5x5.apk
    2.5 MB · Views: 2,060
  • SecLauncher2.5x5.scroll.apk
    2.5 MB · Views: 2,309
Last edited:

Futant55

May 2, 2011
I used the 4x5 scroll apk. It worked great. . I was worried about it resetting all my folders and widgets, but they just bumped up. The 4x4 twcalendar is a little cut off on top and bottom, but not enough to effect me. My music and google search widgets dissapeared but I reset them and all is good. Since the Music widget is re-sizable is here a way to make all widgets re sizable with the tw launcher?

mocsab

Aug 16, 2011
West Milwaukee
www.shimmeringglass.com
4X5 with Scoll - Awesome!

Very Cool - and huge thanks for this. I took the 4X5 Scroll and renamed the way you suggested - moved to the AP folder with Root Explorer and then rebooted - after booting up - wall paper scolls beautfiully - very smooth - and more room for aps and widgets and stuff - I was a little concerned that multiview would stopp working but no - it works fine.

All is good - thanks for the AP - considering how new this phone is - it is so cool to be able to get these types of improvements!

Thanks again.

garyd9

Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Can anyone make the attached transparent Accuweather widget work with 5x5?
I think you misinterpreted the purpose of this thread. It's NOT a thread where someone does something for you. It's a thread where I get people to do something FOR THEMSELVES and encourage them to share how to do things.

I'm actually insulted that you'd post in this thread the question "will you do this for me?" (The answer is: NO.)

At the very least, you could have asked something like "Can you offer advice on how I do this for myself?"

Reactions: MrBigKid

VTEChump

Oct 20, 2011
Minneapolis
I think you misinterpreted the purpose of this thread. It's NOT a thread where someone does something for you. It's a thread where I get people to do something FOR THEMSELVES and encourage them to share how to do things.

I'm actually insulted that you'd post in this thread the question "will you do this for me?" (The answer is: NO.)

At the very least, you could have asked something like "Can you offer advice on how I do this for myself?"

Wow, sorry, you can ignore my post or have mods delete it. The only reason I posted it here was because it was related to using your SecLancher2.5x5.apk. A bunch of widgets that I use no longer work when I change to the 5x5 layout. I have no problem searching for a solution myself, just thought someone may have an obvious answer. Thanks, have a nice day.

Last edited:

garyd9

Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I installed the 4x5 with scrolling after I flashed this rom, I317_N7105ZHALJ4 MultiWindow Control...
Just want to make sure I understand this...

You have a n7105 firmware installed on your phone, and you downloaded one of the apk's I modified from an i317 firmware and installed it on your device (instead of following the simple instructions provided for doing the mod yourself) and now something is broken. Is that correct?

And now you want someone else to tell you how to fix it?

One more question... did you do a backup first? If so, please restore it.

Thank you
Gary

Last edited:

Gargamel198024

Mar 17, 2011
Webster
www.2ndopinionpod.com
Just want to make sure I understand this...

You have a n7105 firmware installed on your phone, and you downloaded one of the apk's I modified from an i317 firmware and installed it on your device (instead of following the simple instructions provided for doing the mod yourself) and now something is broken. Is that correct?

And now you want someone else to tell you how to fix it?

One more question... did you do a backup first? If so, please restore it.

Thank you
Gary

First off, Just because I only have 13 posts on this forum doesnt give you the right to come at me like a all knowing jerk off...

Second, The rom I have on my phone is a ported rom for the i317, so yeah. I didnt go off and flash a N7105 Stock rom on my phone.

I didnt "Break" anything on my phone. All I said was that after I installed the 4x5 launcher the multi window wouldnt work. So my phone is still working other than that. So the only thing I asked was if anyone else experienced it, and if so, did they figure out how to fix it. The 4x5 mod itself is working great otherwise.

Finally, Were you really being condescending by saying, "instead of following the simple instructions provided for doing the mod yourself?" Really? Because dont those APK's do the same thing as doing it yourself?

Last edited:

garyd9

Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
First off, Just because I only have 13 posts on this forum doesnt give you the right to come at me like a all knowing jerk off...
I didn't look at your post count (or any other stat.) Just your post... I also wasn't a jerk (yet.) I just wanted to confirm the obvious before I started being a jerk. However, being you were nasty in your answers (jerk?), I'll be happy to respond.

You see, as with a previous post in this thread (by someone else), you've insulted my efforts.

Second, The rom I have on my phone is a ported rom for the i317, so yeah. I didnt go off and flash a N7105 Stock rom on my phone.
Actually, its a n7105 firmware modified to work on a tmobile T889 and with build.prop mods to work on the i317. (It tells you all that on the OP for the firmware you downloaded.) You did, in fact, flash a n7105 firmware. That, by itself, isn't the problem. Not at all...

I didnt "Break" anything on my phone. All I said was that after I installed the 4x5 launcher the multi window wouldnt work.
If it doesn't work, then its broken. The following is from dictionary.reference.com when looking up the definition of "broken" : "not functioning properly; out of working order." So, if multi-window doesn't work, then its... BROKEN. Hence, something is broken on your phone.

(This is where I get sarcastic..) These are simple concepts. If simple definitions aren't working for you, then the OP instructions might be beyond your grasp.
(Okay - no more sarcasm)

However, broken or not is besides the point. I didn't upload those apk's for people to blindly download and shove on their phone without a clue what they are doing. Here's a quote from myself on page 1:

I'll give you some ideas: Don't take something prebuilt from a i317 stock firmware and expect it to work on a firmware ported from a different platform. If you try it anyway (which is fine) and it doesn't work, don't post on the thread about it.

Finally, if someone takes the time to make sure you have the directions to do the mod YOURSELF, then take the 20 minutes it takes to LEARN SOMETHING and DO SOMETHING FOR YOURSELF before wasting bandwidth on the forum.

Take care and have a WONDERFUL evening
Gary

garyd9

Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA

I have a very serious question... no sarcasm whatsoever...

I wrote this post (as well as the CSC one, and I'm preparing another for kernel compiling) to try and help people do their own mods so they aren't dependent on others, so they can learn and so on.

Is this attempt of mine misguided? Does everyone really prefer to just take whatever someone else gives them without learning anything?

(If so, I won't waste my time writing HOWTO things... I'm a developer, not a teacher, and trying to explain things to other people is very stressful for me.)

Reactions: twanskys204

Gargamel198024

Mar 17, 2011
Webster
www.2ndopinionpod.com

I wrote this post (as well as the CSC one, and I'm preparing another for kernel compiling) to try and help people do their own mods so they aren't dependent on others, so they can learn and so on.

Is this attempt of mine misguided? Does everyone really prefer to just take whatever someone else gives them without learning anything?

(If so, I won't waste my time writing HOWTO things... I'm a developer, not a teacher, and trying to explain things to other people is very stressful for me.)

Well sometimes when I am completely busy with things going on in my life I will just grab and APK and run with it, and teach myself later if I have the time. I do want to apologize for coming across like a moron earlier, I am not a developer and wish I knew half the things that some of you know. I am a hothead sometimes and am still new to the android community and coming from the world of iPhones, I have dealt with a ton of condescending morons. Again I apologize.

But one thing I want to know, and not trying to be nasty. But, if someone runs into a problem after following your tutorial or how to, where are they supposed to ask to see if anyone else has run into a similar issue? Would you rather the forums filled with pointless threads asking the same questions, or should they ask in the thread that contains the how to or tutorial in the first place? Because in my original posted question I was looking to see if anyone else was using the same ported rom I was and if they ran into the issue.

Last edited:

garyd9

Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
But, if someone runs into a problem after following your tutorial or how to, where are they supposed to ask to see if anyone else has run into a similar issue? Would you rather the forums filled with pointless threads asking the same questions, or should they ask in the thread that contains the how to or tutorial in the first place? Because in my original posted question I was looking to see if anyone else was using the same ported rom I was and if they ran into the issue.
If someone posted "I'm trying to apply this same change to the launcher from XYZ firmware and I'm having problems", I'd likely ask them to revert their launcher from backup, and redo the modification, but this time log each step taken and post the steps in this thread.

My purpose in doing that would be twofold. First to enable you, had you recording the steps while doing them, to find any mistake you might have made the first time. You might have skipped a step the first time accidentally, and by recording them as you do them, you'd fill in that missing step. (When I follow instructions and have errors, I find that when I do this exercise, the problem will go away.)

Secondly, to enable me to see the steps you performed to verify them AND to repeat those same steps (as you would have recorded them - not from the original instructions) on my own side to see if I get different results. Sometimes a subtle change will result in dramatic differences.

If you still had the problem after doing the mod while recording the steps, how I would approach the issue would be dependent on if I had the same issue when following your steps, if you had the same problem (or a different problem), if I had a problem (but a different one from what you had) and so on. At that point, I'd have to play it by ear. I might also go to the person who posted the firmware your basing on and ask them to offer some assistance.

On the other hand, this is one of the more trivial changes that mostly works across MANY versions of the 4.x touchwiz launcher, so I wouldn't expect any problems. I would certainly expect compatibility issues, however, if mixing different firmware versions.

Here's one that might amuse you: If I take the SecLauncher2.apk from the n7100 firmware (DBT released - not a leak) and framework-res.apk from the same firmware, I can perform this change and install it on a i317 and it works. However, being the i317 doesn't have multi-view, that doesn't "break."

Your experience seems to indicate that "multi-view" has a dependency in SecLauncher2.apk... I wonder what would happen if a person with a multi-view capable firmware were to install nova launcher and actually DELETE SecLauncher2.apk. Would that also break multi-view? (I don't have my n7100 anymore, so can't test that.)

Gary

cdshepherd

May 16, 2011

Nooooooooo, dont stop now! Im using all your guides. Working on my own rom, mostly for my use and entertainment. If it turns out stable enough I may post it one day. Maybe.

Keep up the good work Gary

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: garyd9

Cab121

Oct 13, 2011
Dallas
Must learn. Its a good Dev requirement. I neeeeeeeeed to leatn or ill get board and break something. Then learn to fix it lol. Keep the great how to threads comming.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: garyd9

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I was going to re-post the apk's I pulled together for modifying the samsung touchwiz launcher to have an extra row of icon space on the home screens and an extra column as well. However, there's a better solution:

THIS IS A HOWTO. This isn't a "download the attached file and donate to me" thread. This is a thread intended to help people to learn how to modify their own devices. If all you want is something pre-made to install on your phone, there are several good customized firmwares (ROMs) available in this subforum. The attached files are so people can download a working example to compare to their own work. Please keep this in mind when replying to the thread.

First, a link to another thread that explains how to modify the launcher. These instructions are for a galaxy S III, but they work just fine for the Note II:

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=27433971

That's not my thread and 99.9% of any credit for this should be given to the person who posted the that thread and the people from whom that person learned from.

Now, I found I didn't like these directions as-is. First, I thought the icon labels got too truncated when using this with 5 columns. Second, I really didn't like how this mod moved the little "page" indicator dots below the docked icons. (The photo's on this thread don't show that, but if you follow the directions, they are moved.)

So, I spent a few hours playing with sizes and such to get things to look a bit better (from my perspective.) That's how I came up with the apk's I posted a week or so ago.

Below, I'll dump my notes on the measurements that I kept so I could reproduce the changes I did (for the next firmware update.) They don't make much sense on their own, but if you combine them with the above linked thread, they make perfect sense. Keep in mind that these are my notes and not even an attempt as a tutorial.

Now, these notes are YOUR notes as well. Please use them, change them to suite your own desires, or ignore them.

There's only one thing better than downloading a custom firmware for your phone: Customizing that firmware yourself.

Code:
    SecLauncher2... modifying the grid sizes

To enable scrolling on any of these:

res/values/bools.xml:  change fixedWallpaperOffset to "false" (to turn on scrolling)

The rest of the files to edit are all in "res/values-sw359dp-xhdpi"

For 4x5 (extra vertical row):

integers.xml:

<integer name="home_cellCountX">4</integer>

dimens.xml

<dimen name="home_cellWidth_port">80.0dip</dimen>
        <dimen name="home_cellGapX_port">10.0dip</dimen>

For 5x4 (extra horiz column):

use the 4x5 and 5x5 to figure it out.

for 5x5 (both extra row and extra column):

integers.xml

<integer name="home_cellCountX">5</integer>

dimens.xml

<dimen name="home_cellWidth_port">68.0dip</dimen>
        <dimen name="home_cellGapX_port">4.0dip</dimen>

styles.xml  (this is needed for 5 columns or the icon labels get truncated - the change is only the textSize)

<style name="HomeIcon" parent="@style/BaseHomeIcon">
            <item name="android:textSize">12.0dip</item>
    As a bonus, I'll also upload some apk files that already have these changes in place. My primary intention for uploading them is to serve as an example, but they are fully functional on a stock i317 firmware.

If you want to use them as-is, do a backup first. Then figure out which you want based on the name. (4x5 is 4 columns and 5 rows IN ADDITION to the dock row. if "scroll" is in the name, the wallpaper will scroll, else it won't.) Then rename the file to "SecLauncher2.apk", and use something like root explorer (that allows you to write to the /system/app partition) and overwrite the existing file by the same name. After you do that, your home launcher will get a little nutty for a second or three, and then it'll work fine. (If it doesn't, restore the backup.)

(If you download one of these files with IE, the file extension might get changed from "apk" to "zip" If so, just change it back to .apk.)

Take care
    Gary
    I do appreciate your response to my inquiry, and if you have any further ideas about how that would be done, I would still like to learn about that.
    Unfortunately, your question wasn't specific enough to answer. Are you referring to the font of the icon labels on the home screen, or something else? If the homescreen, a hint to the answer can be found in the original post, near the bottom of the code block that alters the styles.xml file...

Please keep in mind that I'm trying to get other people into the frame of mind for development, not to figure everything out for others. (That's not any type of attack - it's a generic statement.) My hope is that if I point people in the right (or left) direction, that they'll take things one step further... and share whatever they figure out.

The next person will take it to the next level, and so on. Eventually, instead of having just a few people here on XDA doing 95% of the development, I hope to get more people contributing and eventually have 20-30% of the community doing development of some kind or another.

I know its ambitious, and there's only a very tiny percentage of the community even using a NoteII. However, each single person that does one thing and shares is another person towards that goal.

Take care
    Gary
    No you cannot make a request. I suggest you re-read this thread and see how "request" get dealt with (I did). This is a HOW-TO thread, not a please make this for me thread. If you want something made, ask for it somewhere else. If you want to learn how to make these yourself, then stick around.

Could you share yours please and post it here? Big thanks!

Sent from my AT&T Galaxy Note II /w wireless charging.

You can get it from THIS POST have fun!

*Update* Updated to 6x7 grid size with up to 7 icons in the dock, get it from THIS POST have more fun! ;)
    I used the 4x5 scroll apk. It worked great. . I was worried about it resetting all my folders and widgets, but they just bumped up. The 4x4 twcalendar is a little cut off on top and bottom, but not enough to effect me. My music and google search widgets dissapeared but I reset them and all is good. Since the Music widget is re-sizable is here a way to make all widgets re sizable with the tw launcher?