[All XDA Members] Feedback/Recommendations for XDA

Search This thread

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
Fair enough. In my case, I've started taking steps to TRY and get some things changed for the same reasons. I know I can't change everything, but if I'm not trying, it means I've given up hope.

So I'll kick this back to the Admin's:

Why is "bacon" on topic for the AT&T NoteII general section, but "sausage" isn't? (The question is sarcastic - the point is: why is this allowed?)

Why is it that if someone takes a stock firmware and changes a wallpaper color, that its NOT allowed in "android development", but if they take that same stock firmware and don't change anything at all, it IS "android development"?

I will take the blame for this thread. I allowed it in the Inspire section when it was first posted as an Off topic thread to blow off steam. I have been doing the same for about a year now. I warned the admins this would happen but it fell on def ears. Now I pick and choose my battles.

Reactions: Clark Joseph Kent

cwhitney24

Jun 12, 2011
Daphne, AL
I will take the blame for this thread. I allowed it in the Inspire section when it was first posted as an Off topic thread to blow off steam. I have been doing the same for about a year now. I warned the admins this would happen but it fell on def ears. Now I pick and choose my battles.

Searching is a wonderful thing. It was brought me here since my thread is being talked about.

Having a place to blow of steam in the general section of a phone works. It was proven in the inspire section for the most part. Those threads hurt nobody.

Sent from the Bacon Pope's Galaxy Note 2

garyd9

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
Having a place to blow of steam in the general section of a phone works. It was proven in the inspire section for the most part. Those threads hurt nobody.
It's not that one thread in particular (even though I use it as an extreme example.)

How many "off topic" type threads should a given device have? The i317's general section has the usual "off topic" thread, and now has a "bacon" thread. Should there also be a "hamburger" thread? At which point does it end?

Why is there an entire section of the forums OUTSIDE of the device sections for off topic threads when people ignore that and post off topic threads INSIDE the device forums?

What criteria is used by the XDA to determine which "off topic" threads are allowed and which ones aren't? I once saw a user given an infraction for posting an xbox question in a device thread. Why is "xbox" an infraction when "bacon" is permitted? (An xbox has much more in common with a smartphone than bacon does.)

No, an off topic thread doesn't "hurt" anyone by itself (even if the bacon specific one might be offensive to some - more on that below.) The precedent of allowing it DOES hurt, however. It being specifically allowed by the moderation team tells users that rule #15 ("Keep posts/threads on-topic") isn't enforced - but then when those same users post a "hamburger" thread", they get an infraction. That hurts the credibility of the moderation team, the site administration, and XDA as a whole.

I can guarantee that if I were to go in that same device's general section and start threads for a few other food items, that the threads would be deleted and/or locked and I'd have a few infractions for my efforts.

The irony with that specific thread (and the reason I singled it out for my example) is that it's a food item that a very large percentage of the population finds offensive and is also not permitted by some religions - so not only is it an off topic thread, but it can also be considered inflammatory and discriminatory against certain religions. Yet, it still exists.

KidCarter93

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 26, 2012
Coventry, UK
Huawei P Smart+ 2019
Redmi 7A
Can the description for this 'About xda-developers.com' forum either have its description changed OR moderation sticks to what it says.

It's description is "Anything to do more with the site than with the phones. Feature requests, announcements, praise, moaning, etc."

Quite a lot of times, I have seen moaning threads which have been closed and the reason being something along the lines of "This site will change ONLY if it's for the better, which this isn't."
Now, I can totally understand the threads being closed if someone is simply moaning about the 10 post rule, as that has been spoken about way too many times and will not change until a better alternative can be implemented. I can also understand a thread being closed if someone was to simply moan about this site but didn't provide any examples or suggestions to combat what they'd said.

But, more than just a few times, I have seen constructive criticism, which provides proof of their point and suggestions to improve upon it, simply closed for the aforementioned reason.

This is also true of the opposite - praise.
Obviously a lot of people enjoy coming to XDA (otherwise they wouldn't bother) and some people like to show their appreciation by creating a thread in this forum to express their praise.
Sometimes these threads will simply be closed though, and generally have no explanation to its closure.
Again, I can kind of understand it being closed if quite a few members were posting in there to simply increase their posts to 10, but closing the thread and providing a reason can take just as long as clearing out some posts.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: scotvl

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK
The way I see it, there should be no OT section,and there should one OFFICIAL OT thread in each device forum. The rest should get locked right away. XDA is turning into OT site where people just come in to hang out. And yes, I do participate in OT.

Sent from the fridge. Make: LG Model: N4

Reactions: cwhitney24

boborone

Seeing how original development, extreme(sarcastic) examples, and such where being brought up, I thought I would ask this.

I can haz RD title fur deodexing a stock rom?

http://xdaforums.com/search.php?searchid=122702772

I know that's an extreme example. But really, someone gets a developer title cause they deodexed a rom, themed it, and released it. Shouldn't, if anything, he had gotten a RT title? That I could understand.

egzthunder1

Admin Emeritus - Spirit of XDA
Several pages back (post #7 in this thread) I brought up the inconsistent moderation here on XDA. Over the past few days, I've seen this highlighted in the device section for the phone I currently use (AT&T Note II.)

While I certainly would hope that these specific examples are addressed, the point of this post is to highlight the inconsistencies so that XDA can clarify the rules - which in turn should allow the USERS a more enjoyable experience as they'll be able to predict what is expected. (I realize this sounds like a complaint thread - and perhaps it is in part - but that's not my motive in posting it.)

Example #1:

We now have, in AT&T NoteII -> General, a moderator sanctioned "bacon" thread. I'm not joking. A moderator actually moved a thread from another device section to the AT&T NoteII "general" section that apparently has a topic of "bacon." This is in addition to the "AT&T Note II official off topic" thread.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1439948

Really? When a MODERATOR actually approves this type of garbage, it only ENCOURAGES other users to post more useless crud.

If a new user posts a "how do I root my phone?" thread, they get their thread bumped to Q&A with a warning from the moderator. If someone posts a thread about their xbox360, they get their thread deleted for being off topic. However, "bacon" is on topic? What about sausage? Eggs?

If someone can't eat pork due to dietary or religious restrictions, can they start a thread for another food item? (If not, XDA might be accused of religious discrimination.)

Check around post 830-840 where its clearly moderator endorsed.

Example #2:

I fought tooth and nail to allow development related topics that weren't clearly firmware releases to be allowed in the "android development" section - including HOWTO type threads. The idea being... if its DEVELOPMENT, it belongs in the section. I still have moderators moving my posts out of there, but I'm not even bothering to argue with them anymore.

However, apparently posting copies of STOCK firmware from other devices is okay. The AT&T NoteII (i317) is mostly compatible with nearly all the other "LTE" capable NoteII devices (including the international N7105.) So, we now have people posting threads for stock firmwares from other compatible devices.

These threads don't actually involve any development. Instead, someone takes a stock firmware from another device, pushes it through dsixda's kitcken to deodex and repackage the firmware, and posts it as-is. Really?

There are about 3 dozen N7105 stock N7105 firmware releases for different carriers, as well as another couple of dozen stock firmware releases for other variants that would be mostly compatible on this device. Should EACH one of those have a thread in the android development section for that one device?

If a user takes the stock firmware and changes the default wallpaper color, that's NOT allowed in "android development", but taking a stock firmware from another device IS allowed?

Edit:

To make a sarcastic point, I'm tempted to (but won't) do the following:

Start SEVERAL new threads in that device's 'general' section for various other food items. One for a beef based product, and in it I'll justify the thread as existing for Jewish/Islam people who can't eat pork. Another for carrots. That one will be for the vegetarians. Oh, wait - that beef one might be an issue for some people in India (please correct me if I'm wrong) and cow products. So, perhaps chicken as well. Might as well start one for spinach (for Popeye fans) and another for people who enjoy eating chocolate. Good thing the threads don't have to relate to the device.

Then, I'll collect every single stock firmware for each carrier for EACH of the NoteII variants - I think the total will be something like 75 or so different packages - and run each through dsixda's kitchen and strip the modem - and then post EACH one as a separate thread in the device's "development" forum.

Hi gary,

While I cannot comment on your entire post, I just wanted to let you know that the bacon thread has been moved to the actual OT area.

Reactions: mikef and garyd9

a.cid

RC / Retired Mod / Portal Team
Nov 18, 2011
Mumbai
I am writing this with regards the recent articles in the portal.

I must say, it takes a lot of courage to own up for mistakes and taking active interest in correcting the ones with a public impact...
And the recent (re)article on the entropy issue was a really nice step and one in the right direction...
Since I'm still really new to development, I do take quite a few portal article for its word and believe in them (for plenty of varied reasons), and I'm sure that I'm not alone in this :)
And its good to know that I can still trust them to provide knowledge as good as within their power...
Hats off for that!

But but but,
Another article, icon for SuperSU...
I know this is CF we're talking about, and the almost universally used SuperSU that's the subject...
But hey, its just an icon!
You're only diluting good content here...

Now, I don't mean to undermine anybody's work...
Icons ARE tough, I've myself tried and I've failed and so I understand they are the product of someone's hardwork and imagination...
But an icon-competition still does not feel something article-worthy, already given SuperSU's popularity...

Just an opinion on what I thought was three steps forward and one step back.

reinbeau

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 14, 2010
South of Boston, MA
I am writing this with regards the recent articles in the portal.

I must say, it takes a lot of courage to own up for mistakes and taking active interest in correcting the ones with a public impact...
And the recent (re)article on the entropy issue was a really nice step and one in the right direction...
Since I'm still really new to development, I do take quite a few portal article for its word and believe in them (for plenty of varied reasons), and I'm sure that I'm not alone in this :)
And its good to know that I can still trust them to provide knowledge as good as within their power...
Hats off for that!

But but but,
Another article, icon for SuperSU...
I know this is CF we're talking about, and the almost universally used SuperSU that's the subject...
But hey, its just an icon!
You're only diluting good content here...

Now, I don't mean to undermine anybody's work...
Icons ARE tough, I've myself tried and I've failed and so I understand they are the product of someone's hardwork and imagination...
But an icon-competition still does not feel something article-worthy, already given SuperSU's popularity...

Just an opinion on what I thought was three steps forward and one step back.
Just out of curiosity, how are we supposed to know when something like this comes up? It's not exactly on ABC News. A fun contest like that is an Android news story worth reporting, in my opinion. Don't like articles like that? Then just go right past it - there's plenty more to read. Just my opinion, offered in the same spirit yours is.

sgt. slaughter

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 12, 2010
Raleigh
I somewhat agree with you. We do have some real development, but the overwhelming majority of the stuff being posted is NOT development (or at least not what I consider to be development.) Some of it at least is customized somewhat, and I can understand (even if I don't always agree) that the customization might be called development. (Then again, I recently started messing with smali - and I have to admit that mucking with smali code is pretty close to working in un-commented assembly.)

However, at the risk of being confrontational, my question for you is simple: When you see this stuff going on, as a Senior Moderator, why isn't it being corrected?

What your describing and complaining about is the absolute reason why there is now an Original Development forum.... And more so why there is the developer talk one for a couple as well...

Fact is that XDA now is bigger than anything anyone thought likely, and honestly if you are here for pure 100% development then I'd imagine you should care very little about what happens in general and qa sections and focus solely on the Original Development and Developer Talk sections where the real stuff happens....least that's my personal suggestion for those that are here for 100% development purpose.
Don't let some nonsense in going on in the general section bother you. With the size of xda its best to try and coral the nonsense into one thread for the most part for the big popular forums(esp sprint ones :) ), bc there is not a reasonable solution to handle the stuff that will get posted otherwise that I've seen.

Wanna go back to an old style xda, ok. But that's near impossible with the size of the userbase at hand now. The new sections that the excellent Admin group have added are in a sense a mini old xda in themselves, and honestly seems to be the best way to handle it. Imho.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

garyd9

Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
What your describing and complaining about is the absolute reason why there is now an Original Development forum.... And more so why there is the developer talk one for a couple as well...
Are you referring to the comments about the "stock firmware being called development" or the comments about multiple "off topic" threads in the general section?

Either way, your response isn't addressing the concern. Those two items were EXAMPLES of the lack of consistent moderation and rules enforcement. They are clearly marked as EXAMPLES. In fact, here's a quote from that post before the examples (with bold emphasis added):
While I certainly would hope that these specific examples are addressed, the point of this post is to highlight the inconsistencies so that XDA can clarify the rules - which in turn should allow the USERS a more enjoyable experience as they'll be able to predict what is expected.

... I'd imagine you should care very little about what happens in general and qa sections and focus solely on the Original Development and Developer Talk sections where the real stuff happens....least that's my personal suggestion for those that are here for 100% development purpose.
I tend to disagree about not caring about other device sections. "General" is where I talk with people about the device. Q&A is where I see what issues people are having with the device and also try to offer help with the device. Notice that in both cases, it relates not always to development, but to the device.
Don't let some nonsense in going on in the general section bother you.
The nonsense itself doesn't bother me. It's the lack of consistent moderation and rules that bothers me. I couldn't care less about "bacon" or "off topic" threads. It irks me, however, when a moderator not only allows but ENDORSES a "bacon" thread at the same time as:
  • Moving out a thread discussing the wall charger that comes with the device itself.
  • Moving out a thread asking for help because user was stock at a boot screen on that device.
  • Moving out a thread concerned about bugs in an OTA update for that device.
  • Moving out a thread discussing google video chat on wireless data (not wifi) for that device.
  • Locking a thread asking how to trade another device for that device.
  • Locking a thread asking about potential hardware issues with that device.
  • Locking a thread (duplicate) about an OTA firmware update for that device.
That's clearly sending mixed messages. This tells users that, in a device's "general" section, that "bacon" is okay, but conversation about the actual device isn't. (edit: I don't dispute that the above threads should have been moved/locked - I'm just trying to contrast the offtopic cruft with the on-topic cruft.)

With the size of xda its best to try and coral the nonsense into one thread for the most part for the big popular forums(esp sprint ones :) ), bc there is not a reasonable solution to handle the stuff that will get posted otherwise that I've seen.
An honest question: Isn't that what the off-topic sections were created for?

I've long ago given up on asking for the "old" xda to come back. It can't happen. I'm trying to give suggestions and feedback to make the current XDA work better - for both developers and non-developers. One of those suggestions is create an environment where a person can reasonably know ahead of time if they are doing the "right thing" or not. That requires consistency by the people making AND enforcing the rules.

Currently, if a user were to post a dozen threads in a device section with completely off topic subjects, how can the moderators give them even a warning when a clear and ACCURATE defense is that those same moderators have allowed so many other off topic threads?

Take care
Gary

Oh, and contrary to what at least 2 people think, I really don't have anything against bacon. I tend to prefer link sausage with my eggs, but I don't complain if I'm given bacon.

Last edited:

a.cid

RC / Retired Mod / Portal Team
Nov 18, 2011
Mumbai
Just out of curiosity, how are we supposed to know when something like this comes up? It's not exactly on ABC News.

Not sure what exactly you mean by this...

A fun contest like that is an Android news story worth reporting, in my opinion. Don't like articles like that? Then just go right past it - there's plenty more to read. Just my opinion, offered in the same spirit yours is.

Ah, the good old "Don't like it, move on"...
I get it, thanks!

sgt. slaughter

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 12, 2010
Raleigh
Are you referring to the comments about the "stock firmware being called development" or the comments about multiple "off topic" threads in the general section?

Either way, your response isn't addressing the concern. Those two items were EXAMPLES of the lack of consistent moderation and rules enforcement. They are clearly marked as EXAMPLES. In fact, here's a quote from that post before the examples (with bold emphasis added):

I tend to disagree about not caring about other device sections. "General" is where I talk with people about the device. Q&A is where I see what issues people are having with the device and also try to offer help with the device. Notice that in both cases, it relates not always to development, but to the device.
The nonsense itself doesn't bother me. It's the lack of consistent moderation and rules that bothers me. I couldn't care less about "bacon" or "off topic" threads. It irks me, however, when a moderator not only allows but ENDORSES a "bacon" thread at the same time as:
  • Moving out a thread discussing the wall charger that comes with the device itself.
  • Moving out a thread asking for help because user was stock at a boot screen on that device.
  • Moving out a thread concerned about bugs in an OTA update for that device.
  • Moving out a thread discussing google video chat on wireless data (not wifi) for that device.
  • Locking a thread asking how to trade another device for that device.
  • Locking a thread asking about potential hardware issues with that device.
  • Locking a thread (duplicate) about an OTA firmware update for that device.
That's clearly sending mixed messages. This tells users that, in a device's "general" section, that "bacon" is okay, but conversation about the actual device isn't. (edit: I don't dispute that the above threads should have been moved/locked - I'm just trying to contrast the offtopic cruft with the on-topic cruft.)

An honest question: Isn't that what the off-topic sections were created for?

I've long ago given up on asking for the "old" xda to come back. It can't happen. I'm trying to give suggestions and feedback to make the current XDA work better - for both developers and non-developers. One of those suggestions is create an environment where a person can reasonably know ahead of time if they are doing the "right thing" or not. That requires consistency by the people making AND enforcing the rules.

Currently, if a user were to post a dozen threads in a device section with completely off topic subjects, how can the moderators give them even a warning when a clear and ACCURATE defense is that those same moderators have allowed so many other off topic threads?

Take care
Gary

Oh, and contrary to what at least 2 people think, I really don't have anything against bacon. I tend to prefer link sausage with my eggs, but I don't complain if I'm given bacon.

Since you said you didn't disagree with the threads being moved/locked and your point is geared to OT stuff... I can tell you one reason I and others create an OT thread is to let them have their place in their device section to fool off in within means of course. Otherwise you end up having even more nonsense go on that ends up being out of control as there are not enough mods to police everything non stop.

While I agree OT forum is for OT stuff, I will say that most users view their device section as a "home" of theirs so to say and never venture to the rest of xda site much, unless searching or on the portal... XDA is simply too large now to house everyone from all sections in the broader forums like OT and Android general... To make the device forum 100% about the device and that only you kinda kill off some of the friendly atmosphere that the general section has for the users of that device...
Example when the next HTC EVO device is announced its allowed to be discussed in the current HTC device forum in a single thread before the forum for it is created... I don't think it makes sense to force those users to have to discuss it in android general when most of the people talking about it will be from that device anyway... Also makes it a hassle for the user to venture to a separate forum for one discussion thread...
The general for the device is like a users home in a sense imho... Its nice to be able to chat with only the people you interact with on a daily basis some...

garyd9

Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I can tell you one reason I and others create an OT thread is to let them have their place in their device section to fool off in within means of course. Otherwise you end up having even more nonsense go on that ends up being out of control as there are not enough mods to police everything non stop.
That's a reasonable response, but leads to other questions: How many "OT" threads should there be in a single device's general section? One? Two? Seven? If there's already an "off topic" thread, should there be another thread for "off topic food items" and a third for "off topic gaming"?

If a single general section OT thread is permitted, then I'd suggest that the concept be enshrined in the rules, the single OT thread made sticky (so its easy to find) and with a clear subject ("All Off-Topic discussion here") and all other off topic threads merged to it. This should be done for ALL the device sections in order to provide consistency.

Personally, I don't agree with the need for an off topic thread in each device's general section, but I'm only a single person. Actually, I tend to agree with the post you link to in your signature: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=16682226&postcount=2441

I'll quote some of it:
XDA is a developers site
XDA is a free forum you are ALLOWED to use. We could make it invite only
XDA is and always will be about the developers. And before you say without the users there would be no XDA, Bull****, who do you think used the stuff before normal people even knew what a smartphone was......wait for it.........other developers. People that could give good feedback with relavent info. Not just "dahhh this is broken, please fix". And even Maybe help fix what is broken.

XDA is not a place to come and make your phone cool.
XDA is not the cool place for idiots to hang out.
XDA is not your friends house
XDA is not a democracy
XDA is not a place to make Money.

XDA IS a place to come to learn and share your knowledge. If you are not here for those reasons then you are here for the wrong ones.
That kind of conflicts with the idea of an off topic thread in a device's general section...

Example when the next HTC EVO device is announced its allowed to be discussed in the current HTC device forum in a single thread before the forum for it is created... I don't think it makes sense to force those users to have to discuss it in android general when most of the people talking about it will be from that device anyway... Also makes it a hassle for the user to venture to a separate forum for one discussion thread...
At least discussing the "HTC EVO II" (fictional name) in the "HTC EVO" section has some relation. Of course, there's probably also going to be a thread for that "HTC EVO II" in a few other HTC device sections as well. I think a BETTER solution (and one I now know is possible) is to let that thread be created, but to move it to the proper section (android general?) and leave the redirect there. Once the "HTC EVO II" device section is actually created, the redirect can be removed. This gives the best of all worlds.

Edit:

However, all this is getting pretty far from the original feedback... Which is that whatever the decisions are, they should be documented and consistent. Currently, it's not the case.

Reactions: KidCarter93

cwhitney24

Jun 12, 2011
Daphne, AL
Since you said you didn't disagree with the threads being moved/locked and your point is geared to OT stuff... I can tell you one reason I and others create an OT thread is to let them have their place in their device section to fool off in within means of course. Otherwise you end up having even more nonsense go on that ends up being out of control as there are not enough mods to police everything non stop.

While I agree OT forum is for OT stuff, I will say that most users view their device section as a "home" of theirs so to say and never venture to the rest of xda site much, unless searching or on the portal... XDA is simply too large now to house everyone from all sections in the broader forums like OT and Android general... To make the device forum 100% about the device and that only you kinda kill off some of the friendly atmosphere that the general section has for the users of that device...
The general for the device is like a users home in a sense imho... Its nice to be able to chat with only the people you interact with on a daily basis some...

Some people just won't understand that sadly. Some people are just stubborn and like to be concerned with things that do not affect them in any way at all...

Sent from the Bacon Pope's Galaxy Note 2

zelendel

Aug 11, 2008
OnePlus 6T
OnePlus 9
The off topic threads were made for a reason. As many of the older mods learned it is either one thread or dozens of threads that pop up each and every day.

I have no issue with a place to blow off steam or talk about upcoming devices. As stated most users will never venture outside their devices forum nor do they have a reason to. If having one thread saves hours of removing other threads then it is well worth it.

Batcom2

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK
The off topic threads were made for a reason. As many of the older mods learned it is either one thread or dozens of threads that pop up each and every day.

I have no issue with a place to blow off steam or talk about upcoming devices. As stated most users will never venture outside their devices forum nor do they have a reason to. If having one thread saves hours of removing other threads then it is well worth it.

Batcom2

I think Gary's point is that more than one thread is allowed in one place,and then not allowed in another. He's talking about lack of consistency.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: garyd9

garyd9

Sep 13, 2006
Pittsburgh, PA
I think Gary's point is that more than one thread is allowed in one place,and then not allowed in another. He's talking about lack of consistency.
Thank you. I thought I had restated that several different ways so that people would understand, but apparently not. Seeing that at least one other person understands makes me feel a bit better.

undercover

Oct 10, 2010
London, UK
Thank you. I thought I had restated that several different ways so that people would understand, but apparently not. Seeing that at least one other person understands makes me feel a bit better.

Well, I've been reading your posts from pretty much the beginning of your adventure on request threads, so I guess it helps in understanding (although I think your message is clear enough anyway). While I disagree with some of your ideas amd find others a bit naive (you'll get a bit more cynical with time) I agree that XDA lacks consistency in moderating. Some mods are no BS, some allow a lot of freedom. It is understandable that they are different people and that approach might differ, but how difficult is it to have some consensus on that little topic like OT threads in device forums?
SM sends a mass PM : "Strictly no more than one OT thread per device forum". Done.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    That's a great idea but it doesn't seem like XDA was designed for cloth conventions. :confused:
    I just thought it would me a nice way of spreading awareness of XDA.
    Just a little request regarding XDA merchandise as the current ones from Zazzle are outdated. What I recommend is to have T-Shirts, hats, Hoodies, ect. This would make it easier as it could generate revenue and awareness. Another cool idea is to "personalize" these items by adding a username or avatar. That would be an interesting concept.

Thank you.
    That's a great idea but it doesn't seem like XDA was designed for cloth conventions. :confused:
    Just a little request regarding XDA merchandise as the current ones from Zazzle are outdated. What I recommend is to have T-Shirts, hats, Hoodies, ect. This would make it easier as it could generate revenue and awareness. Another cool idea is to "personalize" these items by adding a username or avatar. That would be an interesting concept.

Thank you.
    After reading a few threads and comments from our members I thought it may be worthwhile to create a Feedback, Recommendations or Idea's thread for XDA. We want to improve our forum for developers and the normal users.

So, rather than sending a PM to a Moderator, please feel free to leave any feedback or idea's you may have to improve XDA, so we can discuss them properly, openly, with the plan to hopefully implement the ideas which are good.

It's sole purpose is to improve XDA and collect your thoughts and idea's.

We will all be monitoring this thread, and someone will hopefully reply without much delay.

Thanks

Rick
    Moderator/Developer Committee

Edits done by Clark Joseph Kent to better support XDA.
    XDA-Developers needs to be more about developers

While I see that time and users have made XDA less about development and more about user support, I think XDA has gone too far in that direction.

Developers need a place to DISCUSS development.

The "General" subforums are too overwhelmed with threads like "Post pictures of your phone", "list of threads linked from other places" and other random "general user" stuff.

The "Q&A" subforums are now a place where moderators chase newbies to. The most technical question you might find in the Q&A section these days is "I just bricked my phone, what do I do?" (Usually, the answers are either making fun of the OP or telling him/her to search.)

The "Development" subforums, which seems like a logical place to discuss development, is now reserved for people to post finish products only and beg for donations - It's the XDA version of the "app store." There's no actual "development" discussion allowed.

Here's what we don't have anymore (but desperately need):

A place where a kernel developer could start a thread discussing the pitfalls of turning off processor cores on a particular device when the device is idle. That would likely lead into a discussion on possible ways to optimize the IN/OUT code for the cores, which would actually *gasp* promote development.

A place where a person might post a "HOW TO" document describing how to modify a stock firmware for a specific device to override carrier controlled lock downs. (For example, editing the CSC for a samsung device.)

A place for development related DISCUSSION - not just a subform for "I cobbled together mods I copied from other people into a so-called ROM and will now beg you to donate to me and press my "thanks" button."

XDA promotes itself as a DEVELOPERS FORUM. The definition of "forum" is "A meeting or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged." Doesn't that seem to indicate that development related discussion would be encouraged here?

(continued...)

---------- Post added at 11:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 AM ----------

So, the obvious question about my post above is how do you moderate a "developers discussion" subforum?

I honestly don't see a problem with that. You make posting access to that subforum by request only. The access should be granted pretty freely but with a note reminding the user that any non-development discussions will result in loss of access to those subforums. Plain and simple. Any RD's or ERD's would automatically be given access without the need to post a request.

Only developers should moderate those subforums, as the fact is that XDA has some moderators that have no clue whatsoever what "development" is.

I'd even go so far as to suggest that XDA's ERDs would be given final say in moderating those subforums. Actually, it might be a good idea to give ERDs final say in moderating all the development related forums - including the existing so-called "development" and "original development" subforums.

I'll have one more post to discuss the current vagueness of the rules and the random enforcement of them...
    Seriously tempted to just ban the next person who talks about the 10 post rule in here. Obviously they don't read the OP and don't care. They just want to complain. Well maybe I don't care about their accounts any more and will just delete them.
    I don't read this thread for over a day and all hell breaks loose.

Unfortunately, the last few pages is not the way I intended this thread to go. Instead of being suggestings to improve XDA, it has been steered down the road of "should we have OT threads in device forums or not"

Can we try and steer away from this for a second and get back to the threads purpose with sensible suggestions. Now with all suggestions, discussion needs to take place so we can decide if the proposal is worthwhile or not. This is not us (mods & admin) ruling out your suggestions, it is us discussing your suggestion to see whether or not it would work with XDA.

I personally value all suggestions, unfortunately we can not implement them all, but we (XDA) will do our best to listen, communicate with you and move forward with suggestions which will work

Thanks
    I think every overlooks one thing - if they try to spam OT, it's easy to find and remove, and reset their accounts. Our FSMs will spot it in device forums.

I think in general we catch spammers faster in OT than elsewhere... So surely that helps, given it keeps OT clean..

Regards to OT, I think the perceived problem is one of maturity. I know most of those involved claim to be adults, but some of the pointless threads about banana and llama are frankly a waste of space... OT used to be about mature debate and humour, but now it seems dominated by a highly insular group who spend inordinate amounts of time there, which would be more productively spent getting a job, or constructively posting to help people having problems..