[Q] Help! with Straight Talk

Search This thread

pumkinhd1

Jul 28, 2014
I purchased a Galaxy s5 outright. It's locked. I don't have a Straight Talk account. I'm starting brand new. Can I take my phone to Walmart, purchase the Straight Talk Activation kit for Galaxy s5 and have the associate get my phone working? The activation kit costs $60. I presume that includes the SIM card I will need for it to work in this phone. Or, do I have to get an AT&T account first in order to unlock the phone so it can be used with Straight Talk? Please be as specific as possible when answering because i am new at this :D and need all the help I can get! Thank you!

Gear2Guy

Jul 22, 2014
just moved FROM straightalk myself to verizon.

1. not sure if S5 is even supported... maybe
2. check the straightalk website for BYOP (bring your own phone). you input your IMEID number or whatever and itll tell you if the phone is useable.
3. you have to have an "unlocked" phone
4. not sure about the activation kit; sometimes they are like $7, no 60... but i could be wrong.
5. walmart folks are not ST folks, so no, i would not count on them assisting you; you could try the phone, but service will vary depending on who you talk to; be prepared to talk to like 8 different people: i had to just to port my number over, very frustrating.

iBimmer

Feb 5, 2011
Studio City, CA
I've been on ST for about 2 years, using 99% iPhones, which were very hard to set up (back when ST started). Now, I have S5 Active and iPhone 5 and both work very well.

You don't need no $70 BS activation package. Just go to http://www.straighttalkbyop.com click Option 2 and buy yourself an AT$T compatible SIM card, assuming you have an AT$T S5. The SIM card is LTE ready, costs $6.99 and ships FREE via FedEx 2-day service.

1. If you're getting a new phone number, register your sim at www.straighttalk.com when you receive it and system will assign you a new number.

2. If you are porting your old phone number you can still do it from straighttalk.com (you'll need your old carrier account password or access PIN for that). Avoid calling ST, they have horrible CS. It will take an hour to set it up and this is if you understand what CS rep says 100% of the time which is close to impossible :) Their website is easy to navigate, you'll figure it out.

Now, pop the SIM in and enjoy your new $45 *unlimited* service. You will need to create a new APN entry for ST. Here you can get the right APN settings.