No Display on phone Sleep of Death

Search This thread

wafflebroski

Jul 7, 2012
My samsung vibrant running 4.0.4 ICS zenwich 1.8.4 randomly shut off today, not even able to turn on, it was the Sleep of Death I have got before, so i pulled battery and reboot, still nothing.

The phone now boots, but their is no display

The phone will literally turn on, have the 4 buttons light up on the bottom, have the screen be responsive to touches, but the physical display is off

I can unlock my phone by swiping, hear the volume up sound, even dial calls by blind touching. It is the same idea as a PC that is plugged in, just so VGA cable to the monitor.

I have tried rebooting to recovery, download mode and tried to heimdall, but it never finds my device, i tried to sdk in and reboot to download mode via cmd prompt but no luck finding device too

I am all out of ideas and nothing is seems to be working

Any advice on resolving this issue would be appreciated

FaultException

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 13, 2012
My samsung vibrant running 4.0.4 ICS zenwich 1.8.4 randomly shut off today, not even able to turn on, it was the Sleep of Death I have got before, so i pulled battery and reboot, still nothing.

The phone now boots, but their is no display

The phone will literally turn on, have the 4 buttons light up on the bottom, have the screen be responsive to touches, but the physical display is off

I can unlock my phone by swiping, hear the volume up sound, even dial calls by blind touching. It is the same idea as a PC that is plugged in, just so VGA cable to the monitor.

I have tried rebooting to recovery, download mode and tried to heimdall, but it never finds my device, i tried to sdk in and reboot to download mode via cmd prompt but no luck finding device too

I am all out of ideas and nothing is seems to be working

Any advice on resolving this issue would be appreciated

Device Manager show anything is plugged in?

FaultException

Jan 13, 2012
take battery out, hold vol + and - and power button, put battery in while usb connected

You may've gotten into recovery, I can't really get into download mode like that. Try this:

1. Unplug USB & remove battery
  2. Insert battery but do not power on.
  3. Hold VOL-UP + VOL-DOWN
  4. Insert USB and wait a few seconds, while still holding them

wafflebroski

Jul 7, 2012
You may've gotten into recovery, I can't really get into download mode like that. Try this:

1. Unplug USB & remove battery
  2. Insert battery but do not power on.
  3. Hold VOL-UP + VOL-DOWN
  4. Insert USB and wait a few seconds, while still holding them

Ok that works, I'm defineatly in download mode, the device shows up in ODIN, but not heimdall. I am not familiar with ODIN, how would I go about flashing the ICS zen rom? I found a tutorial to flash back to stock ROM and wipe all data, but I would like to be able to just reflash the ICS rom

FaultException

Jan 13, 2012
Ok that works, I'm defineatly in download mode, the device shows up in ODIN, but not heimdall. I am not familiar with ODIN, how would I go about flashing the ICS zen rom? I found a tutorial to flash back to stock ROM and wipe all data, but I would like to be able to just reflash the ICS rom

Ok, so it shows the download mode on the screen of the phone?

If so, that's good news and means your screen is not shot.

Try to get Heimdall to work. Are you in windows? Then you'll need to uninstall the samsung drivers and do this (from CM update guide):

CM update guide said:
1. Run the included zadig.exe in the drivers folder of the Heimdall Suite.
2. From the menu, choose Options » List All Devices.
3. From the drop down, select Samsung USB Composite Device or Gadget Serial.
4. Click Install Driver.

NOTE: A prompt may appear warning that the installer is unable to verify the publisher of the driver. Ignore it and select "Install this driver anyway."

5. Heimdall can now be used safely on the Windows computer.

Once heimdall is running, try grabbing the boot.img out of the zen zip and do this:
Code:
heimdall flash --kernel boot.img

See if anything comes of that.

wafflebroski

Jul 7, 2012
The screen never turned on.. it just went into download mode and i was able to see from ODIN that it was recognized. So i ODIN'd back to stock rom, i heard the phone reboot, but still no display.

Like before the phone's screen is 100% responsive, i can unlock the phone, hear the usb plugging in noise, just no display. It just blows my mind because the screen works but its not on.. I am very confused

FaultException

Jan 13, 2012
The screen never turned on.. it just went into download mode and i was able to see from ODIN that it was recognized. So i ODIN'd back to stock rom, i heard the phone reboot, but still no display.

Like before the phone's screen is 100% responsive, i can unlock the phone, hear the usb plugging in noise, just no display. It just blows my mind because the screen works but its not on.. I am very confused

That's not good. Your phone might be done for then. I once repartitioned with no partition files and still download mode worked on a fresh battery pull.

Maybe try leaving the battery out for a while and see if it fixes itself, since it seems to be an electronics problem, maybe something needs time to reset or something.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using xda premium

Last edited:

wafflebroski

Jul 7, 2012
Yea I've had the battery out for over 30 mins and nothing. I even opened up my phone last night to check all the ribbon wires and connections, everything looked fine and i removed the motherboard & replugged everything in.. still no luck

it's a good thing my contract is up I think I am going to get the samsung galaxy s 3..

RIP vibrant best phone i ever had, I'm surprised it lasted this long with all the mods I had done to it haha

asko_85

Aug 25, 2015
my xt890 lcd screen and digitizer were broken so i changed them and the phone was working fine for a week, i then wanted to update to kitkat through oem update; everytime i tried it would give me error . i then read that since i unlocked bootloader and rooted my phone and installed cwm recovery i couldnt do an oem update and i had to do a factory reset in order to update through oem, so i did just that ; after the phone finished factory reset and booted i proceeded with oem update while the phone was charging, everything was going fine the file was downloading, i went to the bathroom and came back the display was black, but touch screen was working fine...through more searching i read that this could be from the update, and i should do another reset... since i couldnt see anything even recovery menu. i downloaded moborobo so i can see my screen on pc and proceeded to factory reset ... now i cant even see through moborobo and im stuck. i think im stuck in recovery screen, but no way to be sure , hence i cant get usb debug.Please help.

Top Liked Posts