Help Updating (Sorry for noob question)

Search This thread

ed116

Oct 20, 2010
North York
hey guys have been out of the modding life for a long time now since HTC Amaze came out on market and ive had nexus' (galaxy nexus) since then. i had a quick question. my sister passed down to me a S3 T-Mobile one. its on 4.1.1 and i had at the time put in CWM long time ago as i was gonna flash custom roms but never got around to it (i did this with the help of a youtube video.) now i have this device the Volume UP button doesnt work which is essential to go into download mode... how would i go about updating this to the latest 4.3 Firmware? if there are any detailed steps id really appreciate them. Sorry i know it sucks to get noob posts like these but i have done a bit of research and i cant seem to ask the right questions on google! thanks

btw just for though im switching from nexus 4 to s3 just cause i dont need the power from the n4 and i just want the s3 screen :p

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
You only need volume up to enter recovery.. volume down is for download mode.. anyway there are apps that can get you to download or recovery mode as long as you are rooted.. you could do that meanwhile or just wait till you fix the button.. really all you have to do is flash a 4.3 rom and modem in recovery, no need to update the whole firmware

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

Reactions: ed116

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Being on 4.1.1, itd probably be a good idea to update the firmware. Thats just my opinion though.
You can root without volume up working, and or flash roms like serio said.
As for fixing it though, if you are good working on electronics and have good manual dexterity, you could probably do this yourself. But the advantage of taking it to a shop is if they screw it up theyd probably have to replace or reimburse you for it.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

ed116

Oct 20, 2010
North York
what if i want to flash cyanogenmod11? is there any step by step? i dont want to brick this phone :p

do i have to update baseband?

Last edited:

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
First thing is to get rooted. Easiest way is to flash the root66 firmware via odin. Now decide if you want to use cwm/twrp recovery, or Mobile Odin to flash your rom.
If you want to use recovery, use goo manager or rom manager from the store to install the recovery. Then from the app choose reboot recovery and flash your rom. Factory reset after and reboot. Thats it.

You may need to update your firmware to at least 4.1.2. I think cm had issues running on older firmware.

ed116

Oct 20, 2010
North York
isnt cm going to be 4.4.2? hwo do i update ? im fully rooted and running CWM 6.0.4.5 Touch ^^ dont know about TWRP but ive been using CWM for the longest time before so i trust it :p

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
If you want to skip updating firmware, just flash the rom from cwm. If it errors out youll need to update to at least 4.1.2 (official or root66) via Odin.

ed116

Oct 20, 2010
North York
If you want to skip updating firmware, just flash the rom from cwm. If it errors out youll need to update to at least 4.1.2 (official or root66) via Odin.

OK i dont understand this part how would i flash 4.1.2? via CWM???

also Lets say i want to go on the official one 4.3 of Samsung ROM

such as this rom Stock Mod Rom

what do i have to do to get that on my 4.1.1 phone :( ur kind of scaring me but thanks for all the help!

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston

for official or root66 you use Odin or mobile Odin, not cwm

what do i have to do to get that on my 4.1.1 phone :( ur kind of scaring me but thanks for all the help!

flash the ROM and the 4.3 modem, as well as a custom kernel or at&t stock kernel modified by DocHoliday77 to get WiFi working

Last edited:

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!

Go to the firmware thread stickies in development (and linked in my Sig). Download the 4.1.2 firmware (or 4.3 if you choose, up to you), and flash using PC Odin.
Mobile Odin, while awesome in its own right, cannot update your boot loader and other important parts of the firmware needed by CM.

flash the ROM and the 4.3 modem, as well as a custom kernel or at&t stock kernel modified by DocHoliday77 to get WiFi working

Or am I remembering wrong? Wasn't there issues with running newer CM roms on pre 4.1.2 firmware? Isn't that what started everyone using the boot loader asserts in their scripts?

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
Or am I remembering wrong? Wasn't there issues with running newer CM roms on pre 4.1.2 firmware? Isn't that what started everyone using the boot loader asserts in their scripts?

I think it was just pre JB but I'm not sure.. If that's the case then flashing 4.1.2 firmware is a safer bet

ed116

Oct 20, 2010
North York
wow this is super confusign ahahha sorry guys !

so can i do this

go to download mode and flash root66 4.3 JB thats pre rooted with Odin Software and if later i wantt o isntall a custom rom i just install CWM recovery and can install CM 11 by just flashing the zip file?

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
wow this is super confusign ahahha sorry guys !

so can i do this

go to download mode and flash root66 4.3 JB thats pre rooted with Odin Software and if later i wantt o isntall a custom rom i just install CWM recovery and can install CM 11 by just flashing the zip file?

Yes, as long as you don't care about the knox counter being tripped

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
does this do anything bad?

reading a bit online its about warranty im sure since this device is two generations old it would nto even matter!

If you didn't buy it from T-Mobile then it doesn't matter

Edit: just re-read the OP, and yeah it won't matter

ed116

Oct 20, 2010
North York
thank you all! yeah its T-Mobile phone used in Canada (Wind Mobile) thought maybe knox was like more prone to bricking or something this phone is almost 2 years old :p

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
thank you all! yeah its T-Mobile phone used in Canada (Wind Mobile) thought maybe knox was like more prone to bricking or something this phone is almost 2 years old :p

As long as you don't try to flash older firmware or bootloader then Knox is really no big deal.. You can still root, flash custom recoveries and ROMs with it

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You only need volume up to enter recovery.. volume down is for download mode.. anyway there are apps that can get you to download or recovery mode as long as you are rooted.. you could do that meanwhile or just wait till you fix the button.. really all you have to do is flash a 4.3 rom and modem in recovery, no need to update the whole firmware

Being on 4.1.1, itd probably be a good idea to update the firmware. Thats just my opinion though.
    You can root without volume up working, and or flash roms like serio said.
    As for fixing it though, if you are good working on electronics and have good manual dexterity, you could probably do this yourself. But the advantage of taking it to a shop is if they screw it up theyd probably have to replace or reimburse you for it.

Go to the firmware thread stickies in development (and linked in my Sig). Download the 4.1.2 firmware (or 4.3 if you choose, up to you), and flash using PC Odin.
    Mobile Odin, while awesome in its own right, cannot update your boot loader and other important parts of the firmware needed by CM.

I think it was just pre JB but I'm not sure.. If that's the case then flashing 4.1.2 firmware is a safer bet