SD Card Unexpectedly Removed

Search This thread

noobhero

Mar 17, 2010
an update
I've not had any issues since swapping out the sandisk with a samsung 32GB card. running close to 2 days now.
am running ExtSD2Internal script..
so the 32GB sd is running as my internal

N7105

Last edited:

limpysmalls

Mar 23, 2011
Eugene
I am siding on it is the SanDisk 32gb ultra that is not compatible with the note 2. Who knows why. This blows.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda premium

rollinbonz

Nov 24, 2012
I've been having the same issue on my bone stock AT&T Note 2 for the last week or so. 32G SanDisk. Trying the protect sd method...

---------- Post added at 11:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:32 PM ----------

Yeah.... tried the protect sd option... it didn't help... 5 minutes later, cycles through the unmounting mounting preparing good to go process...
Aggravating, but I haven't lost any data...

noobhero

Mar 17, 2010
quick update on this.
after swapping the sandisk with a samsung.
not encountered this issue, uptime 92 hours

OwenW71

Jul 20, 2010
I sent my 32gb SanDisk class 4 back. They sent me a new one, so I slapped it in, but I don't trust it. I think I'll find a deal on a Samsung SD card so I don't have to worry.

Swyped from the closest Galaxy.

da_nyce1

Oct 19, 2012
SanDisk 32gb class 10 here. I was also experiencing the problem but after I tried the developer option to protect the SD card, I haven't had the issue once. Going on 5 days now.

ericshmerick

Apr 7, 2006
I had this issue before the multi-window update. After the update, I have not received the message once. No "protect SD" trickery either. Just stopped popping up.

Stock, non-rooted. 32gb class 10 sandisk. IDK.

OwenW71

Jul 20, 2010
You bring up a good point....has anyone had the issue since they installed the multiview update? I am running the multiview, and have not seen any sign of the SD card acting up.

Swyped from the closest Galaxy.

cyper.bg

Mar 11, 2012
N7100 here. My card (SanDisk 32GB Mobile Ultra Micro SD (SDHC) Card - Class 10 UHS-1) was working fine until 2-3 days ago when it started to get unexpectedly removed. Tried 2 different cards (8GB and 16GB) and they work just fine. I even flashed stock 4.1.2 Jelly Bean, but that didn't help.

I guess there is some incompatibility between Sandisk cards and Note 2?
I'm returning mine and will get a Samsung one probably.

kabuk1

N7100 here. My card (SanDisk 32GB Mobile Ultra Micro SD (SDHC) Card - Class 10 UHS-1) was working fine until 2-3 days ago when it started to get unexpectedly removed. Tried 2 different cards (8GB and 16GB) and they work just fine. I even flashed stock 4.1.2 Jelly Bean, but that didn't help.

I guess there is some incompatibility between Sandisk cards and Note 2?
I'm returning mine and will get a Samsung one probably.

Lots of people are saying the Sandisk 32gb cards aren't working right, so there may have been a bad batch of cards or something. I have 2 Sandisk 64gb cards & both works just fine.

Harry Tuttle

Jan 31, 2007
3rd coast h-town
Same issue here. ..

Funny sd unmounted appeared yesterday and is on going today,using a Scandisc 16gb class 6 or 8. Like someone else pointed out i was listening to music off the card when the message popped up, my belief is that it is software not hardware related. This card has been around the block; from a HTC Universal, G1, and a couple of Symbian phones as well as a N900 so I think it is software, my 2cents.

Reactions: fatannasty

limpysmalls

Mar 23, 2011
Eugene
I swapped my card intoy wifes blaze and it started acting up 2 days later. It might be the cards. Had no problems in my SGS 2 or Tab 2.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda premium

talox

Jan 7, 2013
I have the multi window update and still have the problem.

I have been running for 24 hours though without seeing it again.
Here's what I did.

1 - Go into the Samsung browser (the one the phone came with) and go:

Menu - settings - advanced - default storage - set it to device.

(if after a while you see that it has reverted to memory card, then it means the memory card was remounted – at least this is the way I check)

2 - Back out of the settings - open up the tabs from the top right and close every tab so that all you have left is the "about:blank" page. press the home button from here.

(make sure you leave it on only the about:blank page every time you leave the browser)

3 – Disable anything you have that automatically toggles the Wi-Fi (e.g. tasker, locale, any other app.) If it toggles the Wi-Fi, disable that app.

I'm not sure if it's the browser or the WiFi causing problems for me, I just did both at the same time.

predation

Jan 1, 2011
for you guys having problems.

are you running explorer apps?? ie. astro, file explorer etc????

maybe the stock "my files" app is conflicting with the play store apps???

try disabling the "my files" native app or uninstall the play store apps??

i'm thinking of sucking it up and getting a Samsung 64GB Extreme microSDXC Class10 UHS-I for $70 at a local store because it looks like the samsung cards aren't having issues.

derichio02

Dec 31, 2006
For what its worth I am having the problem with the Sandisk 32gb as well. I have also noticed that when this happens it causes the internal storage to report incorrectly in the Pictures section. Before my factory reset the pics section in settings-->storage said over 40gb. I just factory reset and I have no pics or vids on the internal memory and its reporting over 400 megs. The totals don't even add up. Take a look.
y2etyty6.jpg

After the factory reset Pictures said around 25mb then when I had the message I looked and it said over 400. Seems like software to me. Maybe being incompatible with the card

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I have 3 different 32GB MicroSD cards -- Kingston Class 4, Patriot Class 4, and SanDisk UHS Class 10 (red/grey). I also have the Note 2 and my wife has the S3.

The problem seems to be a combination of Samsung's MicroSD slot and SanDisk's super thin MicroSD cards. Both the Patriot and Kingston 32GB MicroSD cards are noticeably thicker (almost 2x) and both fit more firmly in my Note 2' and S3's MicroSD slots.

I also have the same problem when using only the SanDisk MicroSD card in my multi-slot card reader. I get card not inserted errors as well as cyclical redundancy errors, misc write errors, etc. This card reader was not cheap and I paid good money for it because I use it for semi-pro digital photography -- I cannot have a card reader messing up my photos. I purchased my SanDisk MicrosSD card with a full sized SD adapter (just because that's the one that was the best deal). Guess what -- the SanDisk MicroSD card formats, reads, and writes perfectly fine when using the full sized SD adapter in the same card reader. Neither the Patriot nor Kingston MicroSD cards will fit in the SanDisk full-sized SD adapter, so clearly this SD adapter's slot is specifically designed for the significantly thinner SanDisk MicroSD cards.

So, I think the problem is that SanDisk made their newer MicroSD cards too thin, so they're not making constant, proper contact inside Samsung's card slots (and my card reader). My Acer A500 tablet has a better designed card slot so (at least so far) the SanDisk MicroSD card isn't giving me any problems in it. Likewise, my Patriot Class 4 card that's now in my Note 2 is not exhibiting any of these problems because it's a thicker card so my Note 2 (so far) seems happier with it.

Anyway, that's my current theory. I wonder if there are any other memory manufacturers who thinning up their card designs? So far, it's just been SanDisk that I've encountered this. Seems like most of the people here on this thread are also having problems with just the SanDisk cards.
    Hope this helps, but I've used many different brands of miniSD cards and particularly with SanDisk brand, it is best to just put it straight into your phone without reformatting. I have the Note 2, SIII and my wife the SIII. Both SIII's are using the same SanDisk 64GB Class 10 card.

With my phone I put the SanDisk straight into my phone without reformatting. However, on my wife's phone I reformatted (Fat32) on the PC and reformatted once in the phone. Her SD card started acting up.

Contrary to what many people thought including myself, I thought the cards usually all came in Fat32...however, I come to find out the SanDisk's come formatted in exFat, which was a complete SERIOUS?! moment for me. I guess the 'newestest' phones like the Note 2 are exFat friendly?

So my theory is with SanDisk, just leave it alone and put in the SD as is. (For newer phones) I can think of a hand full of reasons of why I think SanDisk's crap out if formatted, but I'll leave the speculation to rest.

Good Luck!

(btw: The best cards I've used are by far Samsung, PNY and A-Data. What they all have in common is that the chip component itself is all made in Korea. Well obviously Samsung is Korean...but I'm referring to PNY and A-Data.)

Cheers

What I have noticed is that most people having issues have a 32gig SanDisk. I am using a SanDisk 64gig (class 10) and haven't had any problems. I took the card out of the packaging and inserted it into my phone. No formatting.. I am stock/rooted with only a little bloat removed.

**EDIT**
    I forgot to mention that my sdcard was for Android Phones. It had the Android Robot on the packaging ect.
    any solutions?

Been trying follow the whole thread....

Please correct me if I missed anything ...

All these possibilities has been discussed but none concluded to be the root issue

- SD card (Sandisk, Kingston, PE etc) manufacturer problem
    - Loose micro ribbon/adapter connecting SD card
    - Samsung Android screen wake up (code issue)
    - Internal Android issue
    - Depending on type of files stored
    - Digital Rights Management

I am beginning to think that that this is Google, Dropbox, Samsung and all the other Big Player's master plan to force us to use their 'CLOUD' vs external storage.

Possible Fix(s)

*All of which either does not work or miraculously worked for some*

- Insert folded paper with SD card (making it tighter to hold)
    - switch on protect SD card under developer options
    - settings > storage > Unmount card and mount it back on
    - Format card
    - Change to FAT32/ExFat
    - Factory reset phone
    - Restart phone
    - Throw phone on the floor and stomp on it
    - Burn it and watch it depart to hell
    - Call Samsung 1-800 and hear them bulls**t you saying it's not my problem, I've already made my money
    - Call Google and get no response
    - Vent on XDA and get no replies

Above all choose Peace and Love and sleep peacefully like a baby!
    I'm just gonna throw this out there... It kinda seems like the latest Samsung phones are happily corrupting SD cards right and left. Now, maybe some cards are more susceptible to this, but the fact remains that this is not just anecdotal anymore. We need to get the various phone groups that are seeing this issue to band together and contact Samsung for a fix.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app
    Mine worked fine for a while, too. I'm not sure what triggered it, but I think the phone did something to it. The reason I think this is simple. I have had many devices with SD cards in them, and never have I had one go bad. This phone was using a card that I had used for months before in another phone, and within a month the card was bad. When I looked online, I found hundreds of cases of the same issue, mostly with Samsung S3 and GN2 phones. It seems too much to be a coincidence.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app