Flashing firmware before ROM?

Search This thread

cjbart1009

Aug 1, 2014
Los Angeles
There's a custom ROM that I wanna flash and it requires a different firmware. Do I flash the firmware first then the ROM? Also, when I flash the firmware is it just like flashing a custom ROM?

Sent from my HTC 1M8

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
There's a custom ROM that I wanna flash and it requires a different firmware. Do I flash the firmware first then the ROM?

Yes, before you flash the ROM. Main reason, is that the firmware will install stock kernel (therefore over-writing any kernel that is present); so you will want to flash the firmware first, then the custom ROM. That way, the custom ROM install will have the corresponding kernel (if its different from stock, which it may or may not be).

You will also need to re-install custom recovery, as the firmware includes stock recovery (which over-writes the custom one you have now).

Also, when I flash the firmware is it just like flashing a custom ROM?

Not even remotely similar. You need to flash with hboot. You can follow the excellent instructions here: http://xdaforums.com/att-htc-one-m8/development/att-4-4-3-2-22-1540-3-debloated-sense-6-t2837365

Or here: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=54408500&postcount=9592

In actuality, it is possible to make a recovery flashable zip of the firmware. But I've only seen this on other devices, and haven't seen anyone go to the effort of creating it for the firmware you need.

cjbart1009

Aug 1, 2014
Los Angeles
Yes, before you flash the ROM. Main reason, is that the firmware will install stock kernel (therefore over-writing any kernel that is present); so you will want to flash the firmware first, then the custom ROM. That way, the custom ROM install will have the corresponding kernel (if its different from stock, which it may or may not be).

You will also need to re-install custom recovery, as the firmware includes stock recovery (which over-writes the custom one you have now).

Not even remotely similar. You need to flash with hboot. You can follow the excellent instructions here: http://xdaforums.com/att-htc-one-m8/development/att-4-4-3-2-22-1540-3-debloated-sense-6-t2837365

In actuality, it is possible to make a recovery flashable zip of the firmware. But I've only seen this on other devices, and haven't seen anyone go to the effort of creating it for the firmware you need.
Thanks. I flashed the ROM before flashing the kernel just to see what would happen and for some reason my firmware updated as well. I flashed the custom ROM because I also have a backup of my stock ROM.

revoltech

Mar 13, 2011
Thanks. I flashed the ROM before flashing the kernel just to see what would happen and for some reason my firmware updated as well. I flashed the custom ROM because I also have a backup of my stock ROM.

The firmware version listed on the software information in settings is not an actual representation of your firmware version. Go into your bootloader and see if your firmware version matches your ROM software version.

For example, the bootloader for firmware ver, 2.12.401.3:

ztdolmkz95a.jpg

Example of rom software version, 1.12.651.17:

2014-04-09-17.47.01-304x540.png

cjbart1009

Aug 1, 2014
Los Angeles
The firmware version listed on the software information in settings is not an actual representation of your firmware version. Go into your bootloader and see if your firmware version matches your ROM software version.

ztdolmkz95a.jpg

Thanks for pointing it out. What ROM are you using? I've tried flashing the firmware yesterday and I even followed two different tutorials. How did you flash yours?

revoltech

Mar 13, 2011
Thanks for pointing it out. What ROM are you using? I've tried flashing the firmware yesterday and I even followed two different tutorials. How did you flash yours?

I am on ARHD 10.2 and using 2.22.401.4 firmware. I used this tutorial: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2696282

I am having connection issues (says I have 4G but I get no data. switching airplane mode on/off fixes this) with this particular firmware and researched that I have to flash the 2.22.1540.3 for my ATT phone. I haven't downgraded yet since I am trying to get more feedback for this issue.

cjbart1009

Aug 1, 2014
Los Angeles
I am on ARHD 10.2 and using 2.22.401.4 firmware. I used this tutorial: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2696282

I am having connection issues (says I have 4G but I get no data. switching airplane mode on/off fixes this) with this particular firmware and researched that I have to flash the 2.22.1540.3 for my ATT phone. I haven't downgraded yet since I am trying to get more feedback for this issue.
So it means I haven't flashed a new firmware. I noticed that the service I'm getting isn't as strong as before. Do you thing it's because of the firmware?

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
So it means I haven't flashed a new firmware.

Incorrect. His screenshot indicates hboot 3.18, so he is on updated firmware.

However, its a known issue that the "international" 2.22.401 firmware does not play well on US networks. He needs to install 2.22.1540, as he already mentioned.

I noticed that the service I'm getting isn't as strong as before. Do you thing it's because of the firmware?

If you flashed 2.22.401 firmware onto the AT&T version, you should try 2.22.1540 as I just described above.

2.22.1540 firmware is linked in Post #2 above.

Reactions: cjbart1009

cjbart1009

Aug 1, 2014
Los Angeles

However, its a known issue that the "international" 2.22.401 firmware does not play well on US networks. He needs to install 2.22.1540, as he already mentioned.

If you flashed 2.22.401 firmware onto the AT&T version, you should try 2.22.1540 as I just described above.

But the ROM that I'm using requires the firmware that I have now.

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007

No it doesn't, it just requires a 2.22.xxx based firmware.

What ROM? The thread probably just says a certain firmware is required, since having any "old" 1.xx firmware causes severe issues (long boot times, broken Bluetooth and WiFi, etc.). Also, it seems that a lot of the ROMs are being developed by owners of the"international" version, so they seem less aware of US-specific issues (although some ROMs like ARHD discuss it in the thread - but not in the top post).

Last edited:

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007

I already posted this above: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=54408500&postcount=9592

Although its not explicitly clear, it says US users "may with to try" the firmware I specified (1540):

"In order to boot and run properly 10.x will require a firmware update to 2.22.401.4

Note: US users may wish to try the 2.22.1540.3 fw.
"

AT&T users have reported various connection issues on "international" firmware 401; which is resolved by flashing firmware 1540. This includes NO SERVICE whatsoever on 401. So you tell me, which one is "required"?

cjbart1009

Aug 1, 2014
Los Angeles
I already posted this above: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=54408500&postcount=9592

Although its not explicitly clear, it says US users "may with to try" the firmware I specified (1540):

"In order to boot and run properly 10.x will require a firmware update to 2.22.401.4

"

AT&T users have reported various connection issues on "international" firmware 401; which is resolved by flashing firmware 1540. This includes NO SERVICE whatsoever on 401. So you tell me, which one is "required"?
" Note: US users may wish to try the 2.22.1540.3 fw. The 2.22.1540.3 fw is unmodified and includes stock recovery, if you flash the 2.22.1540.3 unmodified fw you will need to reflash custom recovery and regain root or you can remove the boot.img and recovery.img from the fw.zip. The 2.12.401.3 fw is wwe and the 2.22.1540.3 fw is for the US developer m8."

OK I didn't catch the last sentence and it's all clear now. I'll flash the 2.22. The second sentence confused me tho.

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
" Note: US users may wish to try the 2.22.1540.3 fw. The 2.22.1540.3 fw is unmodified and includes stock recovery, if you flash the 2.22.1540.3 unmodified fw you will need to reflash custom recovery and regain root or you can remove the boot.img and recovery.img from the fw.zip. The 2.12.401.3 fw is wwe and the 2.22.1540.3 fw is for the US developer m8."

OK I didn't catch the last sentence and it's all clear now. I'll flash the 2.22. The second sentence confused me tho.

All the 2nd and 3rd sentences mean is that the 1540 firmware package is "unmodified" and therefore over-writes recovery and boot.img with the "stock" versions. This is normal for the "official" firmware packages. For the 401 firmware, it just happens that someone already modified it to remove the recovery and boot.img modules, so they will not over-write what is on the phone.

But for the 1540 firmware, this means you need to re-flash your custom recovery after flashing the firmware. If you do as I suggested (original question of this thread) and flash the firmware before the ROM, the issue of boot.img (basically the kernel, although there is some other stuff in that file) and root is really a moot point. Boot.img will install when you flash the ROM, and all the custom ROMs are pre-rooted.

Last edited:

cjbart1009

Aug 1, 2014
Los Angeles
All the 2nd and 3rd sentences mean is that the 1540 firmware package is "unmodified" and therefore over-writes recovery and boot.img with the "stock" versions. This is normal for the "official" firmware packages. For the 401 firmware, it just happens that someone already modified it to remove the recovery and boot.img modules, so they will not over-write what is on the phone.

But for the 1540 firmware, this means you need to re-flash your custom recovery after flashing the firmware. If you do as I suggested (original question of this thread) and flash the firmware before the ROM, the issue of boot.img (basically the kernel, although there is some other stuff in that file) and root is really a moot point. Boot.img will install when you flash the ROM, and all the custom ROMs are pre-rooted.
OK. Thanks for the in depth explanation. Makes sense to me now. So from my understanding I have to start fresh when I flash a new firmware. I won't lose s-off or unlock right?

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
Makes sense to me now. So from my understanding I have to start fresh when I flash a new firmware. I won't lose s-off or unlock right?

Flashing firmware won't affect s-off, bootloader unlock, or SIM unlock (not sure which "unlock" you meant). None of these can typically be changed unless you do so yourself manually.

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
PS. everyone, flashing firmware does NOT replace recovery with stock recovery...

An official signed firmware will definitely replace custom recovery with stock recovery.

Only if the firmware has had stock recovery removed, or TWRP inserted (such as SneakyGhost's firmware marked "TWRP") will the recovery be TWRP afterwards. And you need s-off to flash any such firmware (as changing it, breaks the signature - and unsigned firmware can't be flashed with s-on).

As clearly stated in the thread by mike1986:

Does firmware.zip contains recovery?
Yes, it does contain recovery image, that's why after flashing firmware.zip you will have to flash custom recovery again, to be able to flash custom ROM afterwards.

shahadatkhanbabu

Sep 1, 2021

ztdolmkz95a.jpg

Can I flash firmware After boot the ROM,becuase i forget to flash firmware first, so can i flash it now? Any problem if i do that?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    There's a custom ROM that I wanna flash and it requires a different firmware. Do I flash the firmware first then the ROM?

Also, when I flash the firmware is it just like flashing a custom ROM?

So it means I haven't flashed a new firmware.

I noticed that the service I'm getting isn't as strong as before. Do you thing it's because of the firmware?

No it doesn't, it just requires a 2.22.xxx based firmware.

What ROM? The thread probably just says a certain firmware is required, since having any "old" 1.xx firmware causes severe issues (long boot times, broken Bluetooth and WiFi, etc.). Also, it seems that a lot of the ROMs are being developed by owners of the"international" version, so they seem less aware of US-specific issues (although some ROMs like ARHD discuss it in the thread - but not in the top post).

"