Google maps, "My Location" (GPS with no GPS, cool!)

Search This thread

s4czech

Nov 5, 2004
California
This new version of Google maps works on my treo 750. It knows your location based on the GSM towers. (no GPS needed, pretty cool)

http://google.com/gmm/index.html

Video: http://google.com/gmm/mylocation.html?hl=en

I have to force my treo off hsdpa into GSM/EDGE mode though or it wont lock on correctly. Menu>Preference>Phone Settings>Services>Band Selection>Select GSM instead of Auto or UMTS.

http://groups.google.com/group/Goog...ad/32c1f4d24ec86c9d/f8611d39e8056b30?lnk=raot

This other free tower based gps app is better and works even if I don't force my phone off hsdpa.
http://www.navizon.com/

s4czech

Nov 5, 2004
California
I found a way to force google maps to work with HSDPA
(no need to disable things back to EDGE as posted above)
Basically, Navizon has a nice option that will setup a virtual GPS port. Here's how you get everything working

1) install www.navizon.com (it's free)

2) launch navizon

3) Menu, Options, hit the left arrow icon (lower right on screen) until the GPS tab appears (lower left on screen)

4)Set everything as follows
-GPS: NO GPS (Navizon Vrtula GPS)
-Baud Rate 4800
-Auto Start (NOT checked)
-Output Port: COM9: (Virtual)
-Load outlput port into driver memory (check this box ON)
-Use physical output port (NOT checked)
-Click ok

5) Click start, settings, System tab, External GPS

6) Programs Tab, GPS program port: GPD9,

7) hardware tab, GPS hardware port: COM9, Baud rate 4800

8) Access tab, Manage GPS automatically (check this box ON)

9) click ok, x out, you should be back in Navigon now

10) click the start action button (lower left screen in Navizon)

11) You should zip to your location on the map. Ok now while you leave navizon running, go ahead and startup Google Maps

12) Googlemaps, Menu, Options, GPS Settings, "Set by Windows....." check this on! Click ok

13) Menu, "Use GPS"

BOOM ! Google will work and you can leave HSDPA full speed internet access working instead of having to force it to GSM/EDGE as above.

DocKill

Mar 6, 2006
Memphis
need data plan

just curious-does this feature use your data plan, airtime, or neither? In other words, is there additional charge for it, or does it require a data/internet plan?

martopg

Apr 8, 2006
Seattle, WA
Navizon - no location found

Does anyone know of any tricks to get Navizon working? I am in a fairly metropolitan area but all I get is 'no location found'. I tried in both UMTS and GSM modes and neither one works for me.

Google Maps, on the other hand, I can get to work, with a 3000 meter accuracy, but only in GSM mode.

Any ideas?

idyllic

Jul 31, 2007
Does anyone know of any tricks to get Navizon working? I am in a fairly metropolitan area but all I get is 'no location found'. I tried in both UMTS and GSM modes and neither one works for me.

When I first signed up for Navizon it didn't work for me either. Then, on the main web site, I found that they had set my default location somewhere in Georgia: I live in California. After much trial-and-error was able to get my default location to set my local area. Navizon now works. However, I didn't like it much and have moved back to Google Maps. I like the Google product much better even with the GSM limitation.

Cheers,

Idyllic

enGage1

Jan 7, 2008
just curious-does this feature use your data plan, airtime, or neither? In other words, is there additional charge for it, or does it require a data/internet plan?

Yes, if you click on the link "Get more info" in the video link, it says that you will need a data plan for the maps.

4th Level

Aug 5, 2007
My Location now working with 3G. I did a hard reset (for unrelated reasons) on my ATT branded WM6 750, downloaded (the latest?) Google maps and have been 100% successful in getting "My Location" to work with 3G. I'm not sure if it was the reset or if Google updated the software, but what a huge improvement.

idyllic

Jul 31, 2007
My Location now working with 3G. I did a hard reset (for unrelated reasons) on my ATT branded WM6 750, downloaded (the latest?) Google maps and have been 100% successful in getting "My Location" to work with 3G. I'm not sure if it was the reset or if Google updated the software, but what a huge improvement.

Yup, version update and "My Location" now works with 3G :D

Cheers,

idyllic

medmansri

Jul 2, 2006
Which service provider are you using with Google Maps, ATT or Tmobile? If its Tmobile, are you using Tzones or the full internet ($20)

benblb

Sep 18, 2008
Please Hepl!!!

I have an at&t tilt and am using google maps...if anyone knows of a live tracking program for google maps mobile that would be great...(EX: use gmm on phone and track live on comp.) please email me at monkeymonkeygeorge@gmail.com