[GUIDE] One Click How to Root the Aria with Unrevoked 3.21

Search This thread

Foo_Blyat

Sep 29, 2009
Chicago
im trying to root my friends aria which has hboot 0.57.0000 and theres no option to "you will have to select HBOOT USB at that menu by pressing volume down four times, then power" .

is there a work around like using fastboot?

EDIT: nvm it didnt matter everything went smoothly anyway

Last edited:

superman2112ms

Jun 15, 2009
North Aurora, Il
Is a custom recovery image the same as a back-up file? Which would mean when i performed this I already have a back-up to revert to. I have been reading as much as i can but I may have missed this info. However a Android NooB I am and did manage to accomplish this root task. Thanks to all for the work and info.

narkewoody

Mar 31, 2010
Hi,

I was trying to following the instruction, but met problem in the step 3 of the "How to Install HBOOT Drivers (Windows Users ONLY)". There is no a "HBOOT USB" menu item on my HBOOT screen. What's wrong with it? (I cannot access the video tutorial "How to Install HBOOT Drivers" since from my location the youtube video is not reachable)

Below are my phone information:

LIBERTY PVT SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-0.59.0000
MICROP-031b
TOUCH PANEL-STN21_03
RADIO-7.09.35.13
May, 27 2010,18:42:55

-FASTBOOT
-RECOVERY
-CLEAR STORAGE
-SIMLOCK

dexmix

Aug 13, 2010
Did they just pull the latest unrevoked?

edit: and its back

Last edited:

IsraelR

Oct 20, 2010
Hi,

I was trying to following the instruction, but met problem in the step 3 of the "How to Install HBOOT Drivers (Windows Users ONLY)". There is no a "HBOOT USB" menu item on my HBOOT screen. What's wrong with it? (I cannot access the video tutorial "How to Install HBOOT Drivers" since from my location the youtube video is not reachable)

Below are my phone information:

LIBERTY PVT SHIP S-ON
HBOOT-0.59.0000
MICROP-031b
TOUCH PANEL-STN21_03
RADIO-7.09.35.13
May, 27 2010,18:42:55

-FASTBOOT
-RECOVERY
-CLEAR STORAGE
-SIMLOCK

Mine is the same as the above. What do ya do if you do not have that option to pick when you start up the phone?

If you notice, it says "On EVO 4G, you will have to select HBOOT USB..." We aren't doing this on an EVO, we're Aria owners, so skip this step and continue with the rest of the instruction.

Good luck!

ho.ra.to

Oct 24, 2010
I cant run reflash_package. It says:"Could not read SFX configuration or configuration not found." what is the problme? Is it about my Windows? Can anyone help me please?
Thanks

winsettr

Oct 26, 2010
Awesome guide, easy to follow and worked flawlessly! Coming from a Blackberry, I had no idea what I was missing...

capsin6

Oct 27, 2010
Thanks for the step-by-step guide. Rooted my Aria and now ready to update the rom to liberated_FR005.

G1-8701

May 8, 2009
Lake Charles
after holding down the volume button and power, i don't see hboot usb, did i do something wrong?

i downloaded everything it said to download

cougar4v

Oct 31, 2010
HTC Aria ATT, "R" icon now showing after rom "update"

I followed the instructions here, and was able to successfully install clockwork and root the phone. I then installed liberated_aria_FR006_signed.zip. Everything seems to be working just fine. However, I see the "R" just above the bars when I never saw that before. I believe I have roaming turned off, yet that icon is still there. Any ideas/help? And that rom is awesome, no bloatware is very nice.

Many thanks to everyone's efforts to make this possible.

G1-8701

May 8, 2009
Lake Charles
ok so i finally got the driver installed, but now the problem is when i run unrEVOked i'm stuck at waiting for device, i got debugging checked, it's connected, and it's on charge only like the video said, what am i doing wrong....PLEASE HELP!!!!

Edit: ok i got to the waiting for root part, and restarted my phone twice and it still says waiting for root

Last edited:

G1-8701

May 8, 2009
Lake Charles
finally rooted!!!!!

quick question, if i rooted my phone on my laptop and my friend wants me to root his, do i have to go through all the steps all over again dealing with my driver, or can i just connect it and run unrEVOked?

djR3Z

Mar 9, 2010
Austin, TX
TheDroidDemos.com
finally rooted!!!!!

quick question, if i rooted my phone on my laptop and my friend wants me to root his, do i have to go through all the steps all over again dealing with my driver, or can i just connect it and run unrEVOked?

Just connect and go :)

Thanks! Just used this thread to root a friends Aria.... everything went smoothly, so much easier than it was to root my EVO.... thanks a million!

Glad you got it done!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I first want to thank everyone at UnrEVOked for what they've done. I'm posting this because there aren't any really detailed instructions. Its an easy enough root, but I know I've been there before and even the simplest things can be tough if things aren't laid out. So here's a step by step tutorial.

Due to some bugs, Unrevoked 3.2 was taken down shortly after being released, but the updated version is now LIVE! So obviously we're going to bring you a video tutorial on how to do it! Thanks to the guys at Unrevoked for giving us this simple solution to rooting the HTC Aria.

LINK TO VIDEO WALKTHROUGH FOR HOW TO ROOT THE ARIA

◄●REQUIRED DOWNLOADS●►

◄●How to Install HBOOT Drivers (Windows Users ONLY)●►

If you're using Windows, you're going to have to install the HBOOT drivers first. You can follow this video tutorial:

and follow along with these written instructions provided by the Unrevoked team:

1. Download the unrEVOked modified USB driver and expand it somewhere you will remember.
    2. Turn off your phone, then boot it into the HBOOT menu by holding power and volume down.
    3. On your phone, you will have to select HBOOT USB at that menu by pressing volume down four times, then power. Wait until the screen flashes through an “SD Checking” message before pressing buttons; otherwise, the phone will ignore keypresses.
    4. Connect the phone to your Windows machine with a USB cable and wait for the phone to say HBOOT USB PLUG on screen.
    5. Open Device Manager.
    6. Click Start, then right click on Computer, then click Properties, then click Device Manager.
    7. Under Other devices, you should now see the Android 1.0 device.
    8. Right click on Android 1.0 and click Update Driver Software:
    9. Click on Browse my computer for driver software.
    10. Click on Browse and select the Android USB Driver folder on on your computer, click ok, then click next.
    11. You should get a status bar indicating that the driver is installing. If you get any warnings, just click Ok.
    12. Your driver should install.
    13. Click Close and make sure Android Bootloader Interface is listed under Android Phone.

◄●Instructions●►

1. Make sure you downloaded Unrevoked3 for your OS.
    2. If you're on Windows, make sure you "uninstall HTC Sync or any other program that might talk to the phone over USB (doubletwist, etc). They will cause problems" (Unrevoked.com).
    3. Plug your phone into your computer with USB.
    4. Drag down from the notification bar on your phone and select "Charge Only" and "Remember this"
    5. Make sure your phone has USB Debugging turned on by going to Menu>>Settings>>Applications>>Development and checking USB debugging.
    6. Run the Reflash application that you downloaded.
    7. Unrevoked will run its processes. Follow the few instructions it gives and thats it!

You're now rooted!

If you're stuck on "Waiting for Device", INSTALL HTC Sync, but do NOT run it.
    HTC Sync will load the necessary ADB drivers onto your computer, but so long as you do not let the process run while you are trying to run unrEVOked3, it will NOT interfere. Knowing this would have saved me quite a lot of time, so hopefully someone else reads this and they can salvage their sanity :D

Also, if you're stuck on "Waiting for Root", go ahead and restart your Android while its connected to the USB. It took me one reboot for the root to go into effect, and right after that, unrEVOked3 finished.
    I rooted my girlfriend's Aria with this and I see SuperUser Permissions (as you would with a root) but when I go to Android SDK and type "adb shell" I get a $ back instead of a 2. I also typed su and got back a permissions denied. I am also unable to do "adb remount" due to permissions. Is there any way around this?

Thanks
    -Mike
    I followed the steps for rooting my Aria using Unrevoked 3.22. Things went smooth as per the instructions. I was able to install ROM Manager and also install ClockworkMod Recovery on my phone. I was also able to back my current ROM onto the sdcard. My computer is a FC12 Linux box with android sdk. I can see the phone when I do "adb devices" and the phone is in charge only mode. So things look fine so far.....but when I do a "adb shell" and then a su, I do not get a "#" and instead get the message "Permission denied".

So my 2 questions are

1. Was I successful in rooting my device?. If not, please give me some pointers what to do?
    2. Also before I go ahead and install CM6.1, I am trying to allow non market apps on my stock Aria. So when I do "adb remount", I get the same "Permission denied" message.

Phone has stock software 1.25.502.12 with firmware 2.1-update1

You must have been successful or you couldn't have installed clockwork recovery, but it sounds like you still have the completely stock ROM. Rooting is a one-time process that uses some fault in the system to exploit a root shell. Once you have a root shell, you can do stuff like install recovery, but if you don't do anything else, you lose root once you close your root shell. The good news is that you did install clockwork recovery and this allows you to do all the stuff HTC and AT&T don't want you to do.
    it seems to me that you have acieved root, simply power off the phone, hold Down volume key and press power. once the bootloader pops up wait for the quick diagnostic to run, then choose Recovery from the list. if it boots into ClockworkMod Recovery, youre good to flash a custom ROM.

if you need help doing this, there are plenty of guides to follow:)
    will this work for the HTC Gratia? I don't personally own the device myself, and I barely know anything about it or the Aria. :p is there any difference between them?

It has been reported that this currently will not work for the HTC Gratia. The Gratia is a European version of the HTC Aria with a different radio for European frequencies and it ships with Android 2.2 instead of Android 2.1 like the Aria does.