[Q] 4G Problems

Search This thread

Shawn9221

Aug 6, 2012
I am on a Global version Moto X with TMobile. The problem is, I can't have all of the radios working at once. When I put the network on GSM Only, I can only make calls and text, my data is on E. When I switch to UMTS Only, everything except I dont get 4G only 3G. Nothing works at all when I choose Auto.
As far as far preferred network type, Global doesnt work, With LTE/CDMA, Everything works but calling and texting. With LTE/GSM/UMTS, everything works except 4G.
The preferred network types are: Global, LTE/CDMA, LTE/GSM/UMTS
The networks are: GSM,UMTS, or Auto.

serophia

Feb 8, 2013
California
I am on a Global version Moto X with TMobile. The problem is, I can't have all of the radios working at once. When I put the network on GSM Only, I can only make calls and text, my data is on E. When I switch to UMTS Only, everything except I dont get 4G only 3G. Nothing works at all when I choose Auto.
As far as far preferred network type, Global doesnt work, With LTE/CDMA, Everything works but calling and texting. With LTE/GSM/UMTS, everything works except 4G.
The preferred network types are: Global, LTE/CDMA, LTE/GSM/UMTS
The networks are: GSM,UMTS, or Auto.

Try this download Phone Testing by diewland from the playstore and go to phone information and change the setting to LTE/GSM AUTO (PRL)

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Everything works except calling and texting.

It -should- be set to auto in order to use both the GSM frequencies that are used for voice and text, and the HSPA+/LTE frequencies used for data. We need to figure out why 'auto' is not working for you.

Which carrier are you using? Have you input the correct APN settings for your carrier?

Shawn9221

Aug 6, 2012
It -should- be set to auto in order to use both the GSM frequencies that are used for voice and text, and the HSPA+/LTE frequencies used for data. We need to figure out why 'auto' is not working for you.

Which carrier are you using? Have you input the correct APN settings for your carrier?
I'm using T-Mobile. I've tried many APNS, but it doesn't help.

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
I'm using T-Mobile. I've tried many APNS, but it doesn't help.

OH! You're using T-mobile with a Verizon XT1060? I've read about people having issues with using that variant on domestic GSM carriers after a recent update.

I don't personally have any experience to advise you to do this, but I recall that a user said he flashed the entire 4.4.2 T-Mobile SBF to his XT1060 (because he never intended to use it on Verizon again - only GSM carriers), and he advised us that all functions worked.

Am I right about your phone being an XT1060?

Last edited:

Shawn9221

Aug 6, 2012
OH! You're using T-mobile with a Verizon XT1060? I've read about people having issues with using that variant on domestic GSM carriers after a recent update.

I don't personally have any experience to advise you to do this, but I recall that a user said he flashed the entire 4.4.2 T-Mobile SBF to his XT1060 (because he never intended to use it on Verizon again - only GSM carriers, and he advised us that all functions worked.

Am I right about your phone being an XT1060?

Yes. I have a relative that works for Verizon and he picked this up for me for free :). It's not rooted yet, but do you know how hard it would be to do that?

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Yes. I have a relative that works for Verizon and he picked this up for me for free :). It's not rooted yet, but do you know how hard it would be to do that?

If you are on 4.4.2 you have 2 options:

1. Use "Pie" by jcase - this is a partial root. No write access to /system, and root is lost upon reboot.. Still useful for a few things like Xposed / GravityBox and WiFi Tether.

2. Try to buy a bootloader unlock code from the China Middleman (See the "china middleman back" thread for more info. Since VZW forbids Moto from giving out BL unlock codes for their phones, this is your only hope of getting your bootloader unlocked. Once unlocked, you have FULL write access, and can easily root your device no matter what android version you are on.

Also, you cannot flash the T-Mobile XT1053 rom to your XT1060 without first unlocking your bootloader - if you decide to try this.

I highly suggest trying the middleman if you want unlocked.

Shawn9221

Aug 6, 2012
If you are on 4.4.2 you have 2 options:

1. Use "Pie" by jcase - this is a partial root. No write access to /system, and root is lost upon reboot.. Still useful for a few things like Xposed / GravityBox and WiFi Tether.

2. Try to buy a bootloader unlock code from the China Middleman (See the "china middleman back" thread for more info. Since VZW forbids Moto from giving out BL unlock codes for their phones, this is your only hope of getting your bootloader unlocked. Once unlocked, you have FULL write access, and can easily root your device no matter what android version you are on.

Also, you cannot flash the T-Mobile XT1053 rom to your XT1060 without first unlocking your bootloader - if you decide to try this.

I highly suggest trying the middleman if you want unlocked.

And there is no other way to fix the data issue other than doing that? :/

Shawn9221

Aug 6, 2012
As far as I know, yes. See this thread regarding your exact issue: http://xdaforums.com/moto-x/moto-x-qa/verizon-moto-x-t-mobile-t2578665/page8

Specifically, look at post # 77 - This is where the user advises that flashing the entire XT1053 ROM solved the problems you have described.

Good Luck

Oh well, I guess I will just have to deal with it as it is. I am not really willing to pay $45 to some random guy for an unlock code. Thanks for the help anyways

samwathegreat

Apr 17, 2010
Oh well, I guess I will just have to deal with it as it is. I am not really willing to pay $45 to some random guy for an unlock code. Thanks for the help anyways

No problem. Keep an eye on the thread I linked. If anyone comes up with a solution to only being able to use DATA or CALLING (and not both) when using the XT1060 on GSM Carriers, it will be posted there.

P.S. If there is a chance you have a VZW -DEVELOPER- Edition (which is also XT1060), you can unlock the bootloader for FREE on motorola's official website.

It should be easy to tell - the Dev Edition has a black front, and a woven white back. More than likely, you have a regular XT1060, but it's worth mentioning...

Also, in my humble opinion, $45 is a small price to pay just to be able to have root. If it allows you to use both DATA and CALLING (by flashing XT1053 ROM), again (in my humble opinion), $45 is way beyond worth it.

Good Luck

Last edited:

Shawn9221

Aug 6, 2012
No problem. Keep an eye on the thread I linked. If anyone comes up with a solution to only being able to use DATA or CALLING (and not both) when using the XT1060 on GSM Carriers, it will be posted there.

P.S. If there is a chance you have a VZW -DEVELOPER- Edition (which is also XT1060), you can unlock the bootloader for FREE on motorola's official website.

It should be easy to tell - the Dev Edition has a black front, and a woven white back. More than likely, you have a regular XT1060, but it's worth mentioning...

Good Luck

Well, I'm probably gonna just switch to Verizon. I have no problems with them and everything should work with my phone again.