[APP][ROOT] Google Talk 1.3 with Video calling, Now wifi optional!

Search This thread

4silvertooth

Mar 23, 2011
Android Hell
Trying it on lgp500.

Edit: Doesn't work on my device no front camera maybe the problem.
Sent from my LG-P500 using XDA Premium App

Last edited:
K

Killbynature

The app works but it will force close switching from back to front cameras and no pc to phone problem as stated.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using XDA Premium App

metaldood

Dec 26, 2010
Inspire 4g No FFC.

Phone voice to PC Voice works.
Phone video to PC video - Call initiates, then closes.
PC voice/video - Phone voice/video - cannot initiate call.

Using push.

fraencko

Aug 30, 2010
Berlin
@ Everyone who tries this on Froyo:

As the already OP stated, this will not work on Android 2.2 or below. Reason is that the neccessary APIs for a standardized control of front cameras are only integrated with Gingerbread/Honeycomb. So, for older versions of Android it is useless to try.

bunklung

Mar 20, 2011
Two questions for anyone who has this working...

Can you make and dial phones or make international calls within the new Gtalk?

Will Google Voice ring/forward a call to the new Gtalk app?

galcolea

Jul 8, 2009
Hi, I have a i9000 and execution

mv / system / app / Talk.apk / system/app/Talk.apk1
fails because this read-only mode. I am root. Any suggestions?

Thanks

edude03

Aug 16, 2007
Hey I've figured out why the phone can't receive voice calls, you need to tap your profile picture then check "allow video and voice calls"

Hope this helps

Sent from my GT-I9000 using XDA App

Reactions: KarlosTheJackal

edude03

Aug 16, 2007
Hi, I have a i9000 and execution

mv / system / app / Talk.apk / system/app/Talk.apk1
fails because this read-only mode. I am root. Any suggestions?

Thanks

You have to type "adb remount" before you do those commands. You need to have the latest android sdk to have remount I believe.
Otherwise you can manually remount the system from the command line with something like mount -o remount,rw /dev/stl9 /system (pulled that off tthe top of my head but its something like that)

edude03

Aug 16, 2007
Oh another thing I've noticed: after allowing voice and video chats it shows a speaker icon beside my name instead of a camera. This coincides with the fact that only sound is transmitted from my phone. I think with a little digging we can he this fully working before Google officially releases it.

Reactions: Budius

Budius

May 1, 2010
I tested the adb one yesterday and tested that mediafire download gapps_mmddyyy_signed.zip... both with same result. I can hear and see, but the other person can't hear or see.

I guess we'll have to wait until the devs to make 2.3.4 ROMs for the devices.

Rockwell_

Aug 9, 2010
Got it work with my Galaxy S and ZTE Blade.
But in ZTE Blade voice chat or video doesn't work. When I try to make voice call my Galaxy S it's calling but nothing happens.
When try to make video call it goes black screen and then returns to Google Talk.

In Galaxy S Google Talk shows ZTE Blade as it has old Google Talk.

rickytenzer

Sep 10, 2009
Hey I've figured out why the phone can't receive voice calls, you need to tap your profile picture then check "allow video and voice calls"

Hope this helps

Thanks for the suggestion but it still says that I can't receive voice/video calls.

I'm using a Nexus One for the record.

Last edited:

runhopskipjump

Dec 20, 2010
Almost fully working on the HTC thunderbolt running cm7 (thanks slayher). Voice is fine but so far whom ever I am talking to can't see me. I can see the and the video quality is pretty good. I am excited to see this what we can do with this. I am going to try to use gtalk as on of my phones on Google voice next.

Side note: the flashable didn't work for me. I used the files from the op and root explorer.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is the new Google talk from the Nexus S update yesterday.

Requires: 2.3+ (as per this) and root. It has been reported to not work on ARM6 CPUs

What I did:
    Deodexed, made a one line comment in the smali, recompiled, pushed...works!!!
    File edited: \com\google\android\talk\SigninActivity.smali
    Deleted line (#1141): invoke-interface {v4}, Lcom/google/android/gtalkservice/IImSession;->logout()V

Versions available: (Use the latest from below (#7), or use DeToX-cz's installer app)
    1. "Talk_with AV.zip". Same as stock with just the FC fixed so it works on other phones.
    2. "Talk_with_AV_no_wifi.zip" or "talk1.3.nowifi.update-signed.zip". Added a fix to let it work over your data connection.
    3. "talk1.3.nowifi.v2-signed.zip". Added an additional fix to let it work over data.
    4. xilard version. #3 with Camera and microphone tweaks.
    5. Paul@Modaco's gTalk installer. Installs the new gTalk files. Needs root. Not sure what mods he has incorporated in it.
    6. xilard version +theos0o portrait fix, by $omator
    7. version "1.33" by theos0o [thread][multiupload link]. I copied the 3 files in the update.zip manually using android commander and it works fine. (Nexus one, 2.3.5 CM nightly)

To install:
    1. Via ADB
      (lines starting with # are comments)
      Code:
      [COLOR=SlateGray]#mount the /system partition as writeable[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=Blue]adb [/COLOR][COLOR=Green]remount[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=SlateGray]#backup the old Talk app[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=blue]adb [/COLOR]shell [COLOR=Red]mv [/COLOR]/system/app/Talk.apk /system/app/Talk.apk1
      [COLOR=SlateGray]#uninstall the old gtalk, I think it clears the related cached bytecode too.[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=blue]adb [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkOrange]uninstall [/COLOR]com.google.android.talk
      [COLOR=SlateGray]#copy the two new files[/COLOR]
      [COLOR=blue]adb [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]push [/COLOR]libtalk_jni.so /system/lib/
      [COLOR=blue]adb [/COLOR][COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]push [/COLOR]Talk2.apk /system/app
    2. Via a flashable update. Choose one. (These sometimes require wifi)
      Make sure you backup Talk.apk just in case.
      CM7, works for most, some report an error.
      Alternate1, this version simply copies the two system files, no mounting. (via puertoblack2003)
      Alternate2, uses busybox to mount/unmount /system. This is an unsigned zip. (via abhi0n0nakul)
      Alternate3: This full google apps pack from 20110503 includes it.
    3. Using a root capable file management app like root explorer
      Installing using Root Explorer (via I2asta)

Credits:
    1) Google for everything Android
    2) The CyanogenMod team for CM7!!!!
    3) JesusFreke for smali/baksmali

Notes:
    - Many have reported the inability to switch between cameras. We will probably need to wait for the full 2.3.4 update.
    - After installing, click on your own avatar in Google Talk and check "Allow video and voice chats" to enable. (via BluechipJ)
    - Video does not work by default for most non Nexus S phones. Other threads note that you need 'GoogleServicesFramework.apk' from the 050311 google apps pack.

Files and Screenshot attached.
    fKJts.png

Updates:
    05/04/11
    Thanks to a hint by jmgrosen I've modded it such that you can always make A/V calls over cellular data. Attached. Follow the same instructions. Note that the gapps pack has Talk named as Talk.apk, so if you flashed that make sure you delete Talk.apk otherwise Talk2.apk will be ignored.
    Attached update.zip too: talk1.3.nowifi.update-signed.zip
    05/09/11
    Another jmgrosen tip gives us a new and improved wifi-free version. wifiConnected() now always returns true.
    Attached talk1.3.nowifi.v2-signed.zip. If you only need the updated apk, get it here
    05/10/2011
    More features thanks to xilard (allow front facing camera + camera switch, voice chat speaker fix)
    APK: http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=13976634&postcount=414
    05/24/2011
    Added "versions" section
    07/24/2011
    Added $omator version
    09/22/2011
    Added new theos0o version "1.33"

Enjoy!
    Here's an testkey signed update.zip.
    edit:it works

Note: This replaces Talk.apk with the new version. Make sure you have a backup if you need to go back to the old version.
    How to install

Easiest way is using Root Explorer..

Download and extract Talk_with AV.zip to your sdcard.

Open Root Explorer and navigate to extracted files on your sdcard.

Copy talk2.apk and go to /system/app

Press Mount R/W at the top right and then press Paste on the bottom left

Now you have both talk.apk and talk2.apk

Rename Talk.apk to Talk.apk1
    Select and hold the other Talk2.apk and press Permissions and select:
    User: Read Write
    Group: Read
    Others: Read

And press Ok

Now press and hold on Talk2.apk and press Rename

And rename Talk2.apk to Talk.apk

go back to your extracted files on your sdcard and copy libtalk_jni.so

Navigate to system/lib
    Press Mount R/W at the top right and then press Paste on the bottom left

Press and hold on libtalk_jni.so and select Permissions
    change the permissions to:
    User: Read Write
    Group: Read
    Others: Read

now reboot your device.

now open Talk and press on your own name where you can change your own status and tick the allow Video- and voicechat

Thats all
    Nice, Did you also add in the wifi fixes?

Added. Fixes in the update:

- nowifi v2
    - allow front facing camera + camera switch
    - voice chat speaker fix

Edit: installation fix for recovery + GoogleServicesFramework.apk: gtalk1.3b.nowifi.ffc-signed.zip
    Talk 1.3 Installer

Hello, I made this little application, that allows you to install various versions of those modified Google Talks (and libs). I don't wan't to take any credit on modifing them so I wrote this into the app information and there are links to this thread in the menu.

Also I would like to ask you guys, if you could hit me up on email tadeas.kriz[at]gmail.com if there will be new version of this modification, so I can keep the installer up to date.

Thank you.

Link to the market: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.brainwashstudio.talkinstaller