[DEV] ICS port for I9000/I9000B - BETA (ICS sources) - work in progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

richiebm

Sep 22, 2010
Noooo I dont want to wait! LOL Just cant wait for ICS for SGS. I think I will take my chance and flash it. Anything I need before or just flash it from recovery same as any other custom ROM and post any comments I will have?

Do a factory reset, wipe dalvik cache, format /system, /cache and then flash the rom image first followed by the updated kernel... It should be good to go..

It is good to play around for a while and get the taste of ICS, but it is not fully functional.. Phone, sms and 3G working fine. Wifi module should be loaded manually using adb shell (you can find the procedure in page 16 or 17) ... Market doesn't install apps, no file explorer, no h/w acceleration yet...

Overall, a phenomenal start because I badly wanted to see how ICS looks on my SGS and I'm more than happy now... Back to CM7 until a stable release comes out.. Great work by onecosmic and others so far :)

daniel81uk

Mar 21, 2010
Gdańsk
I dont keep anything important on my phone and contacts are synced with google. All apps backed up with Titanium always b4 flashing new ROM so no worries here. Thanks :)

@richiebm

Im aware of that I will not get a stable fast and fully functional ICS yet. Just want to give it a little go and see how it feels then I will go back to one of the stock rooted ROMs.

Last edited:

joseca_peru

Mar 10, 2011
Lima
www.perumoviles.net
Good work Onecosmic, keep going :)

I asume that making backups with nandroid or titanium (the one I use) is the same.

But with this alfa version that don't recognize the apps from the market and de external SD, there's no way to use Ttitanium because:
- I can't get de titanium app from the market (that's not working)
- I can't use an app saved in my external sd, cause it's not working
- If I have this app in the internel sd I won't have an app installed like ASTRO to find and install it.

Am I correct?

----------0o0----------​

I have one question.
Can I sync my contacts from a exchange account?

Sweetio

Aug 18, 2010

I asume that making backups with nandroid or titanium (the one I use) is the same.

But with this alfa version that don't recognize the apps from the market and de external SD, there's no way to use Ttitanium because:
- If I have this app in the internel sd I won't have an app installed like ASTRO to find and install it.

Am I correct?

----------0o0----------​

I have one question.

Nandroid is the backup made by CWM and it saves more things (like sms,saved game state and other things like that) and you can restore it by recovery..

Don't know about exchange,it should work becouse isn't google, try it! :) (but i remember you that isn't yet a ROM for everyday use)

daniel81uk

Mar 21, 2010
Gdańsk
Ok here I am...on ICS :) First thing I noticed is wierd screen flickering ( caused by lack of H/W accel? ), bit laggy interface and Polish language :D. Other then that WOOOOW i love it :D

Can someone post detailed way to get the WiFi up and running? And is there any way to get rid of this screen flickering?

BIG Thanx to everyone involved in porting ICS to our SGS!

Last edited:

metapiadx

Aug 26, 2009
What should I load USB drivers to use the adb commands ...... I work with htc, but not with samsung s. .. HELP

DerTeufel1980

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 31, 2011

Am I correct?

----------0o0----------​

I have one question.

no, you aren't.

you can copy the titanium backup apk from your rom you are using, and then install it in this one. with root explorer it was working this way.

you also can access external sd. it can be found under /mnt/emmc, but you have to put a file explorer into /system/app of the zip before you flash it. otherwise you can't navigate to this place

richiebm

Sep 22, 2010
Ok here I am...on ICS :) First thing I noticed is wierd screen flickering ( caused by lack of H/W accel? ), bit laggy interface and Polish language :D. Other then that WOOOOW i love it :D

Can someone post detailed way to get the WiFi up and running? And is there any way to get rid of this screen flickering?

Yes, the lack of h/w accl (and display drivers maybe?) is the cause of screen flickering and the laggy interface.

To enable wifi, you need to have Android SDK installed on your PC along with your phone drivers. Then, connect your phone to your PC and open adb shell using cmd.exe(on windows) or just using the terminal in a Linux machine...

Navigate to the directory where Android SDK is (for example c:\ cd androidsdk/tools/)

Hence, type the following:

adb shell

insmod /system/lib/modules/bcm4329.ko

Reactions: daniel81uk

exadeci

Jul 21, 2010
Sydney
well, figured out a couple of things...

Market is not working cause drm service is not starting (permissions problem)

Google sync also seems to deppend on that service... (not really sure why, but both rely on the same error.. drm.service not published)

Cheers.

I've been able to download apps on the market by doing this:
adb shell
chmod 777 /system/bin/drmserver
./system/bin/drmserver&
and you will be able to download apps as long as it stays on
So it seems that it just a service launch issue

Attachments

• device-2011-11-10-191453.jpg
    device-2011-11-10-191453.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 713
  • device-2011-11-10-191505.jpg
    device-2011-11-10-191505.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 557

richiebm

Sep 22, 2010
adb shell
./system/bin/drmserver&

Have you had any luck accessing your internal SD card. I'm having trouble accessing the files(pics, videos) on my internal 16gb sd card. Shouldn't there be a 'File Explorer' app in the app drawer??

Sweetio

Aug 18, 2010
adb shell
./system/bin/drmserver&

Unable to chmod /system/bin/drmserver: No such file or directory
You are sure about the path??

EDIT: What ROM you came from? You usually use cynogen maybe?

Have you had any luck accessing your internal SD card. I'm having trouble accessing the files(pics, videos) on my internal 16gb sd card. Shouldn't there be a 'File Explorer' app in the app drawer??

I'm not sure about that, but you can always install it with adb (put the file explorer in you pc, then "adb install path-to-file-explorer"... if you only have it on your phone, you can use "adb pull path-on-the-phone path-on-the-pc")

Last edited:

exadeci

Jul 21, 2010
Sydney

Yes in /mnt/emmc for external and /mnt/sdcard for internal but you will need adb to at least push esfile explorer for example

Unable to chmod /system/bin/drmserver: No such file or directory
You are sure about the path??

EDIT: What ROM you came from? You usually use cynogen maybe?

I'm not sure about that, but you can always install it with adb (put the file explorer in you pc, then "adb install path-to-file-explorer"... if you only have it on your phone, you can use "adb pull path-on-the-phone path-on-the-pc")

It's ICSSystem350 installed after a full wipe and drmserver is in the zip I checked

Sweetio

Aug 18, 2010
It's ICSSystem350 installed after a full wipe and drmserver is in the zip I checked

o_O
ICSSystem350.zip, downloaded 3 hours ago (i think it didn't change meanwhile), checked in /system/bin in the zip too, i don't have it!

I guess i will wait for feedback and maybe dowload it again :)

Last edited:

saszseb

Jan 30, 2011
Hungary, Gy-M-S.
Yes, the lack of h/w accl (and display drivers maybe?) is the cause of screen flickering and the laggy interface.

To enable wifi, you need to have Android SDK installed on your PC along with your phone drivers. Then, connect your phone to your PC and open adb shell using cmd.exe(on windows) or just using the terminal in a Linux machine...

Navigate to the directory where Android SDK is (for example c:\ cd androidsdk/tools/)

Hence, type the following:

adb shell

insmod /system/lib/modules/bcm4329.ko
I got this: @saszseb:~/android-sdk-linux_x86/platform-tools$ adb shell
# insmod /system/lib/modules/bcm4329.ko
insmod: init_module '/system/lib/modules/bcm4329.ko' failed (Exec format error)
What to do?
Thanks.

titovic

Jul 2, 2010
o_O
ICSSystem350.zip, downloaded 3 hours ago (i think it didn't change meanwhile), checked in /system/bin in the zip too, i don't have it!

I guess i will wait for feedback and maybe dowload it again :)

I was also looking for the same DRMServer file in ICSSystem350.zip and the only drm found is DRMProvider.apk at /system/app.

Assuming it is on the zip, can we just include change the perms in the updater script? or we still have to trigger the background command manually (...drmserver&)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Links and rom updated:

ICS Sources build Image (Not SDK anymore, version 4.0.1_r1)

BIG, HUGE, MASSIVE, THANKS TO PAWITP FROM CM TEAM!!! (specially camera.aries.so, great job!)

FUGU kernel, linux 3.0, integrated voodoo sound and color :) (big thanks to renaudallard)

Here is the most recent image BETA 2:

Changelog on the second post.

We moved to google code:

http://code.google.com/p/ice-cream-sandwich-sgs/downloads/list

(ATENTION: image comes with a kernel for i9000b, if you have a i9000 international or vibrant, download the correct kernel)

Thanks to ytt3r for the vibrant kernel :)

Agreat tutorial made by ybinnenweg for installation and common issues (Thanks!):

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=19563068#post19563068

How to root the rom:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=19175375&postcount=628

Github's:

http://github.com/onecosmic

http://github.com/syndtr

http://github.com/koaaN

http://github.com/pawitp

http://github.com/teamhacksung

http://github.com/cyanogenmod

IRC channel:

http://webchat.freenode.net/
    ##icssgs <- yes, double ## (we switched channel)

What works:
    Both cellphones:
    Hardware Acceleration
    Audio
    calls, sms, 3g - no more script needed.
    Touch
    Wifi
    SDCards (internal and external)
    Market
    Contacts sync
    Calendar sync
    camera
    panorama mode
    face unlock
    Gps
    data usage
    Partition schemma is now including datadata back to avoid issues with slow movinand devices
    usb support
    bluetooth

What does not work:
    Camera (video recording)
    Phone encryption

I'll be posting updates as soon as i have them.

CREDITS:

Pawitp: ril fixes, hw acc , camera lib hack(big android guy :) ).
    teamhacksung
    Cyanogenmod team
    Syntr: kernel patches
    Galnet : First Release
    kooaN: i9000 kernel update
    Thearc77 : google apps
    WarDrake: mirroring
    ytt3r: kernel patching, vibrant and captivate kernels
    SGS CM team: ICS patches
    Motafoca 3g switch apk

And all the other people that is helping to make this a reality :)

Cheers
    Changelog:

Beta 2:

Adb now works at boot (previously it only worked after the phone full boot was complete)
    PIN lock fixed (it should work, i cannot test it since i dont have pinlocked sim)
    adb reboot recovery now reboot the phone to the recovery instead of performing a normal reboot
    Recovery now allows you to make nandroid backups
    Fixed Market download problem
    Minor fixes (code cleanup)
    Tutorial How to flash Alpha 7! NOOBPROOF

OK, for all you people who are too lazy to read the damn thread or simply don't understand it(no offense) I will write this very noob-proof guide to install alpha 6. This guide is for the I9000 SGS; I’d love to write it for the I9000B, but as I don’t have this device I can’t ensure you everything will work.
    Warning, alpha builds are not fully working!! They may contain bugs & have random reboots, by using this guide you accept this. Also I’m not responsible for hard-bricking your phone, which acually shouldn’t happen if you just follow this guide very exactly.

So we start off, ofcourse we need some files & requirements:
    - A phone with a custom kernel installed!! This is very important as we need to enter CWM(ClockWorkMod(recovery))!
    - The rom itself ( http://ice-cream-sandwich-sgs.googlecode.com/files/ICS_4.0.1_r1-alpha7.zip )
    - The kernel (http://ice-cream-sandwich-sgs.googlecode.com/files/CM7FuguMod_20111124_update-i9000.zip )
    - SuperUser fix (http://ice-cream-sandwich-sgs.googlecode.com/files/Superuser-3.0.6-efgh-signed.zip )
    - 3G fix ( http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=793818&d=1322157965 )
    - The ability to read english & set your brain to read & do mode.

OK, now you’ve downloaded all those files and set your brain to read & do let’s start off.
    First of all we need to disable your simlock, as ICS will not enable your network with a simlock. If you don’t feel like disabling your simlock, there is no point for you flashing ICS.
    To do this we’ll do the following:
    1. Go to settings
    2. Go to the security tab
    3. Click on sim card lock, and disable it.

After you’ve done this you have to make sure your on a JVT rom. Also disable the lagfix.(I’m not going to explain this. Why? Well if you have flashed any custom rom you know how to do this.)

Now hook up your phone to your PC in USB mode, and in the root of your internal storage make a folder called “Flashable zips”. Now copy ALL those zip files you’ve just downloaded to this folder, ALL of them.

After your done we will reboot in recovery, for the beginners a small tutorial.
    1. Turn off your phone by holding down the power button and clicking “power off phone”.
    2. Wait for your phone to TOTALLY turn off, when it is it’ll vibrate for a moment.
    3. Now hold the “Volume UP” + “Home” + “Power” buttons until you see the Galaxy S I9000 logo appear, when the logo appears release the buttons and wait a bit. Now you will be in recovery!

Now we are going to backup your phone, incase you want to return to your old setup. (I will not provide a guide how to return, but as long as you have the backup almost any dev can help you with putting it all back together) Now here follow these exact instructions to backup your current setup.
    1. Use the volume buttons to navigate to “backup and restore”
    2. Press either the power button or home button to select the option. (the text may disappear depending on your kernel, just re-press the button you pressed to make it disappear and the text will be there again)
    3. Now press “Backup” and it will start backing up your phone, this may take a while.. get a coffee.
    Check if the backup was succesfull, the recovery will report this in white/orange tekst.

You’ve succesfully made a nandroid!

Now we need to wipe our phone.
    1. In the recovery menu select “wipe data/factory reset”
    2. Now select “wipe cache partition”
    3. Go ahead and go to the “advanced” option
    4. In there select “wipe Dalvik Cache”
    5. Go back to the menu you were before.

OK, now it’s time to start the actual flashing, again follow these instructions to the letter!
    1. In the recovery menu navigate to “install zip from sdcard” and press your selection key
    2. Now choose the option “choose zip from sdcard”
    3. Navigate to the folder we just made “Flashable zips”
    4. In there select “ICS_4.0.1_r1-alpha7.zip”
    5. Now navigate to the option “Yes – install ICS_4.0.1_r1-alpha7.zip”
    It will now flash the rom.
    Does your phone reboot into a blue recovery menu? Just follow the steps again as discribed above ^.

Once we have done this, we will have to flash the kernel.
    1. In the recovery menu navigate to “install zip from sdcard” and press your selection key
    4. In there select “CM7FuguMod_20111124_update-i9000.zip”
    5. Now navigate to the option “Yes – install CM7FuguMod_20111124_update-i9000.zip”

Once it’s done, go ahead and hit the “reboot system now” option.
    Now wait for the phone to boot. Take a coffee in the meantime, this can take a while.

Now an important thing!!
    Android will comeup with 2 options, first check the box "set as default" then press the FIRST ONE!

When it’s up and running, we need to install script manager. Open up the market and setup your gmail account. Once you’ve done this search in the market for “script manager”, and download & install Script Manager FREE.

We need to flash a 3G fix by WarDrake. It seems the bootanimation is too big and it causes 3G to not work for most of us. Thus the bootanimation needs to be removed. Follow these instructions to flash this package.
    4. In there select “enable3gv3.zip”
    5. Now navigate to the option “Yes – enable3gv3.zip”
    Thanks WarDrake for finding this out!!

Once you've flashed the 3G fix go ahead and flash the superuser fix.
    4. In there select “Superuser-3.0.6-efgh-signed.zip”
    5. Now navigate to the option “Yes – Superuser-3.0.6-efgh-signed.zip”
    When it’s done flashing hit the “reboot system now” option.

Now the 3G script is already included, and you might have noticed a 3G icon above the signal bars, though data still doesn't work. For this part of the tutorial I’d like to thank WarDrake who simplyfied this fix. I’m using his instructions and all credits go to him!!
    1. Open script manager and go navigate to : /etc/init.d
    2. In here select the script named 99enable3g and open it as a script
    3. Now click on the button "help" and select: run as root, run at boot, run on network change. (DO NOT RUN IT)
    4. Hit the “save” button.
    5. Exit script manager

Once you’re done reboot your device and suddenly….

AAMMMMGGG 3GG NETWORKKZZZ <3

Thanks again to WarDrake for this amazing fix!

If you followed my instructions correctly, you should be running Alpha 7! If it doesn't work you are probably one of The Almighty R’tards and you will have to start all over again, good luck.

Now you’ve all noticed I used the same tutorial everytime, that’s because It’s easier for people to understand, and they will learn how to flash files by doing the same procedure over and over.

Disclaimer,
    If you somehow managed to f*ck this up, go to hell and go f*ck yourself.
    Mods feel free to remove my disclaimer.

Written by YBinnenweg(on forums & IRC)

Please look through the F.A.Q before joining IRC and asking the same question over and over.
    F.A.Q
    Q: AAAMGG MIEE PHONE NO BOOOOOTTT?@!?!?!
    A: If you would have read the tutorial you would know that if your phone reboots into a blue recovery menu, you should FLASH THE ROM AGAIN.

Q: My touchscreen doesn't work!
    A: Try reflashing the i9000 kernel, though if you are using a i9000b don't flash it.
    Oke, seems some ppl can't play nice. Thread locked till OP send me a PM or he is ready for update.

Past few days i had to clean the mess up. This has to stop.
    Heads up:

Well, system pushed to 350mb (old system + datadata size), i'll try to put together wifi and removed stuff on a single image.

Cheers