Ask a Moderator

Search This thread

pstevep

Retired Senior Mod / Inactive Recognized Themer
Aug 31, 2010
A place just beyond throwing distance
Ok. So I have thought about doing this for a long time and always have a reason why I haven't done it. I also still have plenty of reservations with it, but I trust it will go well.

What this is:

Ask questions to the moderation team here in the 3d forum. Mostly me. I can't say the others will participate in this thread, as they are not required to. We don't have to talk about a lot of what goes on and I will not force them to. I digress.

If you are confused about a certain rule, or just want clarification, come here. If you want guidance on how to approach a certain situation (this mostly for me), you can come here.

What this isn't:

A place to discuss in detail why someone was banned. Also we will not discuss the banning of people in the past. I will not usually talk about why someone was infracted. Those are all personal details, and will be left as such. Also this is not a place to flame the moderators or anyone else.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is my attempt to be fairly transparent with the user base. Most everyone here who knows me, knows that I am willing to talk to just about anyone, and am easy to get a long with. As long as you keep this a civil thread, it will remain. This isn't something that is required, I'm doing it to hopefully bring about some civility in this forum. We don't do things in secret, we just don't talk about it publicly usually.

You work with me, I will work with you.

Savvy?

Thanks to ramjet73 for encouraging me to go ahead and do this.

Last edited:

Papa Smurf151

Feb 24, 2010
Atlanta
I too will participate and have subscribed to this thread. As most know I'm not secretive and don't hold alliances with a lot of devs here in 3d land. I tell it like it is and don't let anyone bash another member or previous member for that matter. As long as this is civil I will be as well. Let's play nice and all get along. Remember everyone we are all here to tweak our phones, run the latest software, have the coolest stuff, have fun, and share in our hobby. Nobody here is paid to be here at all so there is no reason to fight cause it gets u no where.

XDA Moderator

Last edited:

Mazda

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 19, 2008
Where do babies come from?? HAHAHAHA

Obviously I'm joking BUT I do have a serious question.

Why does the search feature go down once a day??

I know a lot of noobs don't notice this because they don't search BUT I use it all day long and I know I'm not the only one that finds this annoying! :)

DarkRazorZ

Mar 17, 2012
Gunsan, South Korea
www.youtube.com
Just a few questions. I'm not sure if these fall under the questions that are allowed to be asked, but:

1.] Is Agrabren simply not allowed to post CDMA builds anymore? I still don't truly understand the path his CDMA development has gone, it seems to come and go.

2.] To my understanding there are false GPL claims being made against him. How exactly are those claims made/handled? Is it an automated system? If not, wouldn't it be possible to tell which claims being made are just trolls?

3.] How do you guys put up with the drama so well? I would have lost my mind a long time ago :crying:

Reactions: pstevep

ramjet73

Jan 12, 2006
Honolulu, Hawaii
Reporting Posts

Thanks to pstevep and papa smurf151 for opening this thread.

I'll try to start this in the spirit that I think it was intended by asking the mods what is the best way to handle a post that has been made in the wrong forum, something that rarely happens in the Evo 3d forums. ;)

We don't want to discourage new users that might not know better, but there are detailed guidelines posted for the development forum by papa smurf151 as a sticky in that forum, and general guidelines for new threads in the Forum & Marketplace Rules post at the top of each forum.

In your opinions, is it appropriate to link those guidelines when a post is misplaced or better to just reference them and let the users find them on their own? It's a good exercise to find them yourself when you are not even aware that they exist, but sometimes that discourages users from actually reading them.

This may sound trivial so far, but my real question is whether or not we should report these posts. Is it helpful to the mods to report posts, or better to just wait until someone gets around to reviewing the new threads.

On a broader scale, when would you recommend that we report posts versus just leaving it to the mods to handle them?

ramjet73

Jsparta26

Aug 30, 2012
Detroit, MI
This was a great idea. I just want to say thank you to ramjet, pvstepup, and papasmurf for allowing a chance for normal members to come together and let members have a chance to clear the air of any matters that maybe unclear. This is one is for papasmurf: I notice more recently that you have locked quite a few threads with all having something to do with opinions of what's the best Rom or kernel. Now many of us get the idea that you are preventing flaming wars and trying to keep things civil. Myself and many others are wondering, is our hunches accurate?

Last edited:

Papa Smurf151

Feb 24, 2010
Atlanta
Just a few questions. I'm not sure if these fall under the questions that are allowed to be asked, but:

1.] Is Agrabren simply not allowed to post CDMA builds anymore? I still don't truly understand the path his CDMA development has gone, it seems to come and go.

2.] To my understanding there are false GPL claims being made against him. How exactly are those claims made/handled? Is it an automated system? If not, wouldn't it be possible to tell which claims being made are just trolls?

3.] How do you guys put up with the drama so well? I would have lost my mind a long time ago :crying:

1. From my understanding he has taken his cdma builds off xda to let things chill for awhile. When things get heated sometimes the best course of action is to cool off and let time resolve the situation

2. Even though there are devs not on xda we do exchange emails or talk on other forums...sometimes even gtalk. The real gpl complaints come that way as well as from pm with specific issues linked and evidence given. Simply saying he's breaking the rules with no proof gets u no where with the mod team

3. Actually 99% of the time we have nothing go do and that's a good thing. At times we simply go into threads...clean them up and leave a warning. If it gets bad then u take further actions. Keeping a cool head and having to remain neutral helps to not get so mad since u don't take sides its easier. If it gets personal or u r personally involved that's when u step aside and let ur fellow mods help. We r all a big team and work together

XDA Moderator

Papa Smurf151

Feb 24, 2010
Atlanta

I know a lot of noobs don't notice this because they don't search BUT I use it all day long and I know I'm not the only one that finds this annoying! :)

U see when ur mom was hot I meet her at this hotel...I have pictures if u want details and well 9 months later we had a son named alex. I was ashamed of him so I left....lmso jk man.

Search = bang head against wall.
We really have no control of it. Its a server issue I think

XDA Moderator

Last edited:

Mazda

Retired Recognized Developer
Oct 19, 2008
U see when ur mom was hot I meet her at this hotel...I have pictures if u want details and well 9 months later we had a son named alex. I was ashamed of him so I left....lmso jk man.

Search = bang head against wall.
We really have no control of it. Its a server issue I think

XDA Moderator
Thanks.......DAD??!?? HAHAHAHAHHA

Papa Smurf151

Feb 24, 2010
Atlanta

I'll try to start this in the spirit that I think it was intended by asking the mods what is the best way to handle a post that has been made in the wrong forum, something that rarely happens in the Evo 3d forums. ;)

We don't want to discourage new users that might not know better, but there are detailed guidelines posted for the development forum by papa smurf151 as a sticky in that forum, and general guidelines for new threads in the Forum & Marketplace Rules post at the top of each forum.

In your opinions, is it appropriate to link those guidelines when a post is misplaced or better to just reference them and let the users find them on their own? It's a good exercise to find them yourself when you are not even aware that they exist, but sometimes that discourages users from actually reading them.

This may sound trivial so far, but my real question is whether or not we should report these posts. Is it helpful to the mods to report posts, or better to just wait until someone gets around to reviewing the new threads.

On a broader scale, when would you recommend that we report posts versus just leaving it to the mods to handle them?

ramjet73

Ok if ud like please post a link in the thread posted in wrong section to my guidelines and then report.
id rather come hone from work with 15 reported posts then to search around and see a flame war over something really stupid and trivial.

This was a great idea. I just want to say thank you to ramjet, pvstepup, and papasmurf for allowing a chance for normal members to come together and let members have a chance to clear the air of any matters that maybe unclear. This is one is for papasmurf: I notice more recently that you have locked quite a few threads with all having something to do with opinions of what's the best Rom or kernel. Now many of us get the idea that you are preventing flaming wars and trying to keep things civil. Myself and many others are wondering, is our hunches accurate?

Yup ur spot on. In my dealing with these threads they turn ugly real fast. Devs get feelings hurt. Fan boys bash others roms or promote their favs. Its really all opinion and u know what they say about opinions. My suggestion is don't participate. In the og evo section we've instigated this rule and its prevented countless fights and clean up work for the mods

XDA Moderator

il Duce

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Feb 25, 2009
Twin Cities, MN

Xda search is a google custom search, if it's down I just use google which typically yields similar results. I'm for real not trolling.

ramjet73

Please please please please use report. There's only 3 of us fsm, plus pstevep. We can't see it all thread wise since we all moderate more than just this forum, but we can see the reports (and faster). PM's work too.

Reactions: Sachin and pstevep

n2d551

Apr 2, 2012
hampton,va
And I thought babies came from the cabbage patch. It's at least cool to have 1 thread for drama. ie. V6 supercharger

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

pstevep

Retired Senior Mod / Inactive Recognized Themer
Aug 31, 2010
A place just beyond throwing distance

Oh the lovely search. It actually goes down when our custom cache gets corrupted on the server. Then our server guy has to rebuild cache which takes several hours typically. It's annoying for everyone, especially the server guy.

Lord how did I know this type of question would be at the beginning.

1. He could post his CDMA build if he wanted to. Gpl wise he provides source. However due to circumstances that everyone is aware it is not being posted for the good of everyone involved. I told him that if he isn't going to post it though, we can't have it accessible from anything on here. Believe me for right now it's the greater good.

2. When a gpl claim is reported its handled ostensibly like any other report. Except that usually a senior mod and or a member of the dev committee is brought in to look at it. If there are any issues we address them with the dev in question. Agrabren's issues were looked into and addressed appropriately. Sometimes yes its easy to know when it's just trolling, but not always, it's a serious matter so we tend to take it seriously.

3. I honestly think my 3 year old had a lot to do with it for me. Calmed me down, made me more patient. Plus I'm the type of person who likes to fix things so I tend to try and defuse situations by nature. I think everyone deserves respect, and if you talk to me I will talk to you. If you work with me, i will work with you. I want what's best for the community.

Hope that helps.

ramjet73

Just report instantly. Or you can pm me directly. I don't always see the reported posts as much as I'm mobile 75% of the time. I have a lot of gut feelings that pay off and I'm in the right place at the right time. I also have devs (not as much in the 3d forum) that will gtalk me when something is going down. But report as soon as you see it is the best Option.

EDIT: as for wrong posting. You can instruct the person politely that they are in the wrong forum, but still report so we can move it. Does that help?

Please please please please use report. There's only 3 of us fsm, plus pstevep. We can't see it all thread wise since we all moderate more than just this forum, but we can see the reports (and faster). PM's work too.

Where the heck have you been? There are 6 in here now not counting me. Granted one is fairly inactive, but still 6 listed.

Last edited:

coal686

Senior Moderator / Developer Rel. / Mod Liaison
Staff member
Apr 13, 2012
Tampa-ish, FL
OnePlus 9 Pro
What they said ^

Also, as I am often seen as the more angry mod (I'm doing my best to curtail that), hopefully I'll be able to eloquently explain the reasons for my shortness.

Carry on.

Why are you the angry mod? Was it something from your childhood? :D

In all seriousness, I don't see how you're considered the angry mod. You've always been helpful. In fact, I've noticed in the teamd3rp Q&A, you're one of the only ones answering questions.

Posted with Tapatalk 2

spirithandler

Feb 5, 2012
Why can't I find the anthrax kernel here I used to use it on meanrom but now I can't find it anywhere! I my opinion there is no better kernel.
That sucker flew not to mention I hate the stock kernel!
So could you point me to the anthrax GB kernel that would be great or at least who makes it! I only remember the name of it because it has the same name of my favorite band.

Reactions: lilflip21

il Duce

Inactive Recognized Developer / Retired Forum Mod
Feb 25, 2009
Twin Cities, MN
Why are you the angry mod? Was it something from your childhood? :D

In all seriousness, I don't see how you're considered the angry mod. You've always been helpful. In fact, I've noticed in the teamd3rp Q&A, you're one of the only ones answering questions.

Posted with Tapatalk 2

Because I go off on people.

Why can't I find the anthrax kernel here I used to use it on meanrom but now I can't find it anywhere! I my opinion there is no better kernel.
That sucker flew not to mention I hate the stock kernel!
So could you point me to the anthrax GB kernel that would be great or at least who makes it! I only remember the name of it because it has the same name of my favorite band.

See attached

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1349673428063.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1349673428063.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 168

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ok. So I have thought about doing this for a long time and always have a reason why I haven't done it. I also still have plenty of reservations with it, but I trust it will go well.

What this is:

Ask questions to the moderation team here in the 3d forum. Mostly me. I can't say the others will participate in this thread, as they are not required to. We don't have to talk about a lot of what goes on and I will not force them to. I digress.

If you are confused about a certain rule, or just want clarification, come here. If you want guidance on how to approach a certain situation (this mostly for me), you can come here.

What this isn't:

A place to discuss in detail why someone was banned. Also we will not discuss the banning of people in the past. I will not usually talk about why someone was infracted. Those are all personal details, and will be left as such. Also this is not a place to flame the moderators or anyone else.

------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is my attempt to be fairly transparent with the user base. Most everyone here who knows me, knows that I am willing to talk to just about anyone, and am easy to get a long with. As long as you keep this a civil thread, it will remain. This isn't something that is required, I'm doing it to hopefully bring about some civility in this forum. We don't do things in secret, we just don't talk about it publicly usually.

You work with me, I will work with you.

Savvy?

Thanks to ramjet73 for encouraging me to go ahead and do this.
    Here's my attempt to explain further using the name anthrax, and the situation in general, as I understand it :

In the beginning of the cease fire agreed to by egz and cgood - his name was to be gone and never said, but the kernel name was ok - again, this was agreed to by both parties. Linking to his site was not, because that's against the rules (sorta), the problem became people using the kernel name in place if it's dev's name, they became synonymous (which is logical) - so in the end it became the same troll/flame/war/blahblahblah just with a different name. In the interest of forum sanity we kind of just included any and all mention as bad news, followed by more bad news.

Yes, this is sad, we all know it, mods more than most. However, it is no secret that the 2 devs involved are both talented egomaniacs, and have acted like 3 year olds having a fit (but with lots bigger words). Please don't blame the mods for banning someone who posts pics of blowjobs, or users who repeatedly starts fights (honeslty they should be banned cause if that's why you're here then GTFO). Don't say silly things like xda is picking sides, or it's politics, or whatever. As far as this evo3D forum is concerned, almost ALL the actions taken here by the mods, were mostly pstevep, me, and papasmurf - not xda, not the man, not god, not whatever.

We (the mods) probably want more than anything to be able to rewrite history and have had this all never happened, but, the devs started a war, which dragged the whole forum down, for everyone. XDA is about development, plain and simple, not which dev is your favorite, not who did what first, none of that. We're here to advance our devices, and hopefully our knowledge, while following the rules.

So, depending on how the devs and users behave going forward, we just might have a chance at a sane forum again. Yes there are investigations always going on, users fighting each other, etc, but that's normal to a degree. The problem we've had, and maybe still have, is that many of the people here have become polarized, either against a dev, or a mod, or xda as a whole. This is lame and childish, nothing like this should divert us from our existence as a community. I truly wish we can all collectively grow up and move on, what's been done here over the last year is shameful, on almost all fronts.

I think I'm done for now...
    I too will participate and have subscribed to this thread. As most know I'm not secretive and don't hold alliances with a lot of devs here in 3d land. I tell it like it is and don't let anyone bash another member or previous member for that matter. As long as this is civil I will be as well. Let's play nice and all get along. Remember everyone we are all here to tweak our phones, run the latest software, have the coolest stuff, have fun, and share in our hobby. Nobody here is paid to be here at all so there is no reason to fight cause it gets u no where.

XDA Moderator
    My Understanding is that the "agreement" involved removal of his name and of course per the xda rules no linking to another site like his. I was under the impression that we are okay to use the name "Anthrax" in our signature as that is the kernel I run. There has been lots of confusion on this and after receiving some threatening pms regarding removing it would like some clarification. Can we say "Anthrax" in our kernel?

Yes and no. You may have it in ur sign now (this way not allowed before but we are relaxing some rules due yo peace and cooperation). We ask that discussion of it be kept to a minimum and in good taste. As well as it not be used in other kernel threads as if it had its own thread we would no allow promotion of other kernels within it either. Pretty much as long as its used in a positive light and not to bash someone else's work we will allow it. This is of course subject to change depending if its abused and things get ugly again.

This still means no links and talk of the dev though

XDA Moderator
    I will add to this...

The way I look at this is look.....if ur not directly involved with coding and making the rom or kernel then there is no reason to go into a thread and start a fight. Idk who u think u r or who u prefer to bow down to. Its childish and unneeded. This isn't high school. We all have jobs outside of xda. We come here to have fun, learn, and contribute.

As for cgood and his kernel...well it was his suggestion that his name not be used on xda. This was agreed upon by the admins and all mention of his name was removed. Why did he requests this...well for a number of reasons. I will cover a few but not go into detail.

1. His name was dragged through the mud. By both sides. It was childish. But he used his real name for his screen name. When others Google ur name and see all the drama it can cause issues in ur personal life and professional life. Especially if ur in the IT field

2. It would help to chill the drama.

3. He wanted nothing to do with xda any more.

4. Don't know I'm guessing

Why do I ask that his name or kernel not be in sig. Well its been requested not to mention his name or kernel anymore. Simple enough.

Why was it blacklisted and a rom made to only let certain kernels to work on it. Well the rom had those checks added to make sure all kernels used in it would be gpl compliant. If the were then that dev would put ur kernel into his aroma installer for rom. Why do this...well it would stop a bunch of drama about kang this and gpl that and its the devs decision. If u don't like it then do two things.

1 go find a different rom
    2 leave the dev alone. He chooses what he wants to do within the rules of xda and gpl

What it all comes down to is this...xda is a site for developers. The users get to benefit from it. Complaining gets u no where. Being rude gets u in trouble. Act like an adult and be polite.

We do this as a hobby just like everyone else. We just get to see behind the curtain which is sometimes good and sometimes bad. Sometimes ignorance is bliss

XDA Moderator