[Q] SGS3 T999 - Personal Data, Apps, and New ROM(s)

Search This thread

johnathanamber

Sep 26, 2008
Motorola Edge
OnePlus 10 Pro
Hey guys,

Love reading and contributing to this forum.

Question, I am currently running stock ROMs for my tmo SGS3 T999. I was thinking about switching to another slimmer ROM so I can further get more performance and juice out of the thing. Right now I'm running the Root66 latest 4.3 ROM and it works well.

So, one I was considering was the SlimRom (Here). Knowing that there might be issues with my data not importing into this ROM, what is the best way to preserve this as well as maybe import from stock to another ROM? Is it as simple as taking a Titanium Backup and importing it? Or, should it just acquire the old data and use it? If I decide to go back to a stock ROM, will my old data be retained even after using a different ROM for some time or will it get overwritten?

As an example of why I'd like to save/import my data:
For instance, I have a game that I've been working on for months. I'd like to preserve this game state data on any ROM I decide to flash.

Lastly, what high performance and customizable ROM would you suggest and does it require a non-stock recovery (i.e. CWM or TWRP, etc.)?

Thanks guys and keep up the good work!

Thanks,
Johnathan

Last edited:

Perseus

Retired Senior Moderator / Recognized Developer
Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
If you intend to go back to Stock at some point then take a Nandroid before flashing SlimBean.

As to the Game Data etc, Titanium is your friend. Do note, if there is a System app that you wish to keep data then convert it to user app before taking Titanium Backup. Titanium won't be Able to restore the data for a System app. Particularly when the app was a System app on Touchwiz and SlimBean is AOSP.

johnathanamber

Sep 26, 2008
Motorola Edge
OnePlus 10 Pro
If you intend to go back to Stock at some point then take a Nandroid before flashing SlimBean.

As to the Game Data etc, Titanium is your friend. Do note, if there is a System app that you wish to keep data then convert it to user app before taking Titanium Backup. Titanium won't be Able to restore the data for a System app. Particularly when the app was a System app on Touchwiz and SlimBean is AOSP.

Apologies for the noob response, but I suppose that Nandroid is a backup software? I also assume that SlimBean and SlimROM are the same.

Can things like Messages, call logs, email, etc be migrated from a Titanium Backup?

If I convert any system apps to user apps, would that include Messaging to keep txt's etc. as well as Phone for call logs?

Looks like I'll have to root my phone even though I've used Root66's ROM last so I can backup my phone... hmph.

Thanks,
Johnathan

Perseus

Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
Nandroid is not a Software. It is a Nand Backupyou create when booted into a Custom Recovery. You will have read here on forum or on Wiki if you need to know more.

SlimBean and Slim Rom are one and the same. To the best of my knowledge, Slim Bean is the Official Name.

Emails and messages can be migrated via Titanium. However best if you take a backup of these inside the respective apps. Typically they allow you to back on a PC. Do so for double effect. I do believe Kies has an ability to backup Call Log. But I personally have never backed up Call Log so am not sure. I don't think you'd have to convert Messaging and Phone apps since you are backing those details as above.

johnathanamber

Sep 26, 2008
Motorola Edge
OnePlus 10 Pro
OK, thanks for that.

So, if I want to keep data from System Apps, they need to be converted to User Apps, does this include the Phone and Message apps so I can retain the logs and txt's?

Thanks again,
Johnathan

Perseus

Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
I have tried PAC MAN Rom just because I wanted to see what the Unicorn (AOKP) is upto. Realized it hates my favorite Kernel so left it. Honestly never tried Alliance Rom. I like AOSP and have no love for the touchwiz framework. My Current Combo is SlimKat Rom and KT747 Kernel.

johnathanamber

Sep 26, 2008
Motorola Edge
OnePlus 10 Pro
I have tried PAC MAN Rom just because I wanted to see what the Unicorn (AOKP) is upto. Realized it hates my favorite Kernel so left it. Honestly never tried Alliance Rom. I like AOSP and have no love for the touchwiz framework. My Current Combo is SlimKat Rom and KT747 Kernel.

I was looking at SlimKat.... they have the d2lte download that replaced the d2tmo. Would I need CWM or TWRP to implement this?

Also, that is the Kernel compared to the ROM?

Thanks for your help,
Johnathan

Perseus

Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
Yes you will need either CWM or TWRP or something similar such as Philz Touch.

I tend to replace the kernel of Slimkat with KT747. Nothing wrong with the Rom's kernel. Its just my preference.

johnathanamber

Sep 26, 2008
Motorola Edge
OnePlus 10 Pro
Ok,so for any ROMs that are not stock-based, a different recovery is needed other than stock.

Why did you choose that Kernel over others? What does it offer that suits your fancy?

Using the XDA Developers app... OH YEAH!!!

Perseus

Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
Sounds about right. Do note, even for Alliance Rom, you'd need Custom Recovery such as CWM or TWRP. For terminology sake, any recovery that's not stock is called Custom Recovery.

I like KT747 because of the ease and flexibility it offers for profile based Overclocking or Undervolting. See the link in my signature for Undervolting just to give you an Idea.

johnathanamber

Sep 26, 2008
Motorola Edge
OnePlus 10 Pro
Sounds about right. Do note, even for Alliance Rom, you'd need Custom Recovery such as CWM or TWRP. For terminology sake, any recovery that's not stock is called Custom Recovery.

I like KT747 because of the ease and flexibility it offers for profile based Overclocking or Undervolting. See the link in my signature for Undervolting just to give you an Idea.

That's cool, I'll check it out.

Apologies for all the questions... just thought that I'd get them all out. :D

One last one, I think... AllianceROM, I've seen several that have specific device models that it should work for... I can't find much about the t999 being supported with AllianceROM. I suppose I can't assume this would work with this model, correct?

Thanks again,
Johnathan

Perseus

Feb 10, 2011
Atlantis
When it comes to Touchwiz based Roms (AKA Stock Based Roms), if it does not include your device, I wouldn't try it.