[Status] VZW M8 Bootloader Unlock / S-Off Method

Search This thread

fronc

Current Status for m8 Bootloader Unlock / S-Off: RELEASED

Update 4/6/14: A Firewater S-Off method is released for the HTC M8. Please see the following tweet: https://twitter.com/firewaterdevs/status/452934672063156224

Go here to do it: http://firewater-soff.com/

----(Begin Old OP)----

The HTC M8 has launched for Big Red, and much to our dismay, HTCDev does not allow for us to unlock the bootloader through the traditional avenues.

Presently, there is no known workaround.

Thus, this is a thread for conversations regarding any progress being made on a bootloader unlock/S-Off method for the VZW HTC One M8.

Try to avoid being speculative as much as possible. Please post any updates you see in other threads and on other sites. Also, if notable champions of previous unlock methods/exploits want to post their efforts here (*ehem beaups et. al...), by all means, feel free!

This is not a bounty thread.

----(End Old OP)----

Last edited:

Mike02z

Feb 3, 2012
Greenville, SC
OnePlus 9 Pro
Had my M8 since yesterday morning. I tried HTC Dev Unlock as soon as I got it hoping it would work. No such luck. I hope I'm wrong but I think we have a long, long wait for S-Off.

On the M7 there was a 5k bounty to get S-Off. It took from March 8th until October 7th to get S-Off on the M7. Last I heard only around 1/2 the money was ever received by beaups.

No one has been able to achieve S-Off with software on any M7 with 4.4.2 so I doubt anything is close on the M8.

Tigerstown

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Jun 20, 2013
Detroit
I just pick up my m8. There was a line today still. I was shocked 40 mins I waited. Anyways I'm ready for someone awesome to work there magic!

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

Had my M8 since yesterday morning. I tried HTC Dev Unlock as soon as I got it hoping it would work. No such luck. I hope I'm wrong but I think we have a long, long wait for S-Off.

On the M7 there was a 5k bounty to get S-Off. It took from March 8th until October 7th to get S-Off on the M7. Last I heard only around 1/2 the money was ever received by beaups.

No one has been able to achieve S-Off with software on any M7 with 4.4.2 so I doubt anything is close on the M8.

Mobiletechvids are reporting the have achieved s-off ...I seen this at 4:26pm today

Tigerstown

Jun 20, 2013
Detroit
I'll use a java card like I did on my m7. Anyone heard of that for the m8?

Mike02z

Feb 3, 2012
Greenville, SC
OnePlus 9 Pro
I just pick up my m8. There was a line today still. I was shocked 40 mins I waited. Anyways I'm ready for someone awesome to work there magic!

---------- Post added at 09:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

Mobiletechvids are reporting the have achieved s-off ...I seen this at 4:26pm today

jtag service. They need to take your phone apart, pass. I'm sure the Java card would work too but most are looking for a software exploit. Other methods are risky and mean your need to send you phone away. Unless you want to buy a 1200 Java card.

Tigerstown

Jun 20, 2013
Detroit
jtag service. They need to take your phone apart, Pass. I'm sure Java card would work too but I mean a software exploit. That is what the majority of people want. Other methods are risky and mean you need to send you phone away. Unless you want to buy a 1200 Java card.

Had no clue what the meant I just seen the Twitter post..I wouldn't do that either. Lol I used java card service was fast an smooth just saying.

Mike02z

Feb 3, 2012
Greenville, SC
OnePlus 9 Pro
Had no clue what the meant I just seen the Twitter post..I wouldn't do that either. Lol I used java card service was fast an smooth just saying.

Sure, if you get someone upstanding. The java card method is not risky, it's sending your phone through the mail to a stranger and getting it back in 1 piece that is risky.

The only solution for the majority of users is a software exploit. That I think is a long way off. Just my opinion and hope I'm wrong..

Reactions: Tigerstown

andrewp3481

Jun 30, 2011
Have you seen the breakdown for this phone?its super hard to open.

To be honest...I don't even care about s-off. If I wanted aosp I'd switch to T-Mobile and get a nexus.

Sent from my HTC One (M8)

Tigerstown

Jun 20, 2013
Detroit
Have you seen the breakdown for this phone?its super hard to open.

To be honest...I don't even care about s-off. If I wanted aosp I'd switch to T-Mobile and get a nexus.

I only care bout s-off to trick htcdev so I can have a unlocked boot loader. If vzw didn't block htcdev I wouldn't need s-off has nothing to do with aosp

andrewp3481

Jun 30, 2011
I only care bout s-off to trick htcdev so I can have a unlocked boot loader. If vzw didn't block htcdev I wouldn't need s-off has nothing to do with aosp

I don't want to sound like a hater. Cause I'm not. I hope we get s-off. But I also don't understand why people on Verizon are so shocked we don't get phones that are unlockable.

What do you use s-off for?

Reactions: Eyalkn

ocman40

Mar 26, 2011
Lets not forget that this phone has a SD Card slot and that makes for easier exploits. Beaups will come through sooner than later probably. The phone is excellent stock just like the DNA I came from. No worries guys.

Tigerstown

Jun 20, 2013
Detroit
I don't want to sound like a hater. Cause I'm not. I hope we get s-off. But I also don't understand why people on Verizon are so shocked we don't get phones that are unlockable.

What do you use s-off for?

I'm not shocked I already knew this prior to buying. S-off I can flash firmware for one. Ruu if ever needed.

andrewp3481

Jun 30, 2011
I'm not shocked I already knew this prior to buying. S-off I can flash firmware for one. Ruu if ever needed.

Like I said...I hope we get s-off. I've just noticed a trend with myself...and I don't need root like I thought I "needed" it a few years back.

The only things I use root for is WiFi Tether, Titanium Backup and occasionally I like to flash CM...but I always find myself going back to and Sense.

Hopefully Beaups will hook it up. Cross your fingers and say a prayer if you believe in that sort of thing.

Top Liked Posts