Gear 2 and Android wear? Lets Speculate!

Search This thread

rEVOLVE

Nov 16, 2006
I just read a teardown review of the Gear Live and I'm afraid its not good news. The Gear Live is running a Snapdragon processor while our Gear 2 (Neo)'s incorporate an Exynos processor. While I'm sure that won't make it impossible to port, it will add a substantial degree of difficulty. Hopefully I'm completely wrong, but doubt it.

Is it possible the different processor also facilitates some of the low-powered listening capabilities like on some phones with Google Now? IF the Exynos is not optimized the same way, maybe it still won't have beneficial results to port the software?

zzEvilGeniuszz

Jun 3, 2014
I don't see Sammy abandoning Tizen after they have spent so much money on developing it and trying to release phones with the OS on it. I think they will have a watch for Android ware but i don't think it will be more then what gear and gear 2 is. It will be more like the gear fit and I could see them porting AW to gear fit.

:good:

Completely agree

T-Anthony78

Jan 27, 2014
Am I the only one who isn't that dazzled with the features of Android Wear and the devices? Very pretty interface, obviously, but I enjoy having music stored on my device when I run or workout, I actually use the camera function for 'quick' pictures (I have a 3 year old), and I like being able to take a call on the watch (my car doesn't have bluetooth capability for hands free calling- the Gear watch helps tremendously as I am an IT tech on call 24/7). I get all notifications on my watch with no issue, and if I enable notifications from "Google Search" in Gear Manager, then updated Google Now card notifications get pushed to my watch as well. I don't think I'll ever order pizza from my watch as it was demo'd during I/O. If I did, it would be a one time thing just because it would be capable of it- not a make or break show stopping decision to make me go out and buy one.

I'm sure there is more to the UI and functionality than swiping for expanded notifications, but I don't know if the cost of buying another watch makes up for anything our current Gears are 'missing'.

Anyone else feel the same way?

Reactions: leojab and Hielko

brazcub

Oct 1, 2008
Winthrop, WA
Am I the only one who isn't that dazzled with the features of Android Wear and the devices? Very pretty interface, obviously, but I enjoy having music stored on my device when I run or workout, I actually use the camera function for 'quick' pictures (I have a 3 year old), and I like being able to take a call on the watch (my car doesn't have bluetooth capability for hands free calling- the Gear watch helps tremendously as I am an IT tech on call 24/7). I get all notifications on my watch with no issue, and if I enable notifications from "Google Search" in Gear Manager, then updated Google Now card notifications get pushed to my watch as well. I don't think I'll ever order pizza from my watch as it was demo'd during I/O. If I did, it would be a one time thing just because it would be capable of it- not a make or break show stopping decision to make me go out and buy one.

I'm sure there is more to the UI and functionality than swiping for expanded notifications, but I don't know if the cost of buying another watch makes up for anything our current Gears are 'missing'.

I feel the same way.

I make calls using my Gear 2 all the time while I'm working (landscaping). I also use it to control my music/podcast/radio player, I take lots of pictures with it while I'm working and mountain biking and I also use it for keeping the time, pedometer and map my run. I thought about getting a gear live, but I can't give up some of the extra features on my Gear 2.

Sent from my SM-G900V using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Psutfin

May 22, 2010
I think Samsung needs to put more development into s-voice make it closer to what google now does on both the phone and the watch If S-voice was improved than tizen would have every advantage over android wear.

Even without S-voice I think Gear2 is a better overall device with greater flexibility, I just think android wear at some point with more independent development will eventually become the go to software platform.

If Samsung comes to this realization and ports the gear 2 over to android wear and provides apps for using the speaker phone and camera, it would be pretty amazing device, (I still prefer longer battery of Tizen) Or maybe someone comes up with a way to get google now on the gear2 with tizen (that would be the best thing from my perspective).

Reactions: JimSmith94

dakunclear

Jul 26, 2011
Calgary
I think Samsung needs to put more development into s-voice make it closer to what google now does on both the phone and the watch If S-voice was improved than tizen would have every advantage over android wear.

Even without S-voice I think Gear2 is a better overall device with greater flexibility, I just think android wear at some point with more independent development will eventually become the go to software platform.

If Samsung comes to this realization and ports the gear 2 over to android wear and provides apps for using the speaker phone and camera, it would be pretty amazing device, (I still prefer longer battery of Tizen) Or maybe someone comes up with a way to get google now on the gear2 with tizen (that would be the best thing from my perspective).

Ya I agree with this but not just using speakerphone but also the music player and ir blaster

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using XDA Free mobile app

josh462890

Jun 7, 2014
Stories are floating around about Samsung's involvement with Google's Wear project. Also there are stories of Samsung having a Google Wear device. Anyways If the reason Samsung pushed their Tizen OS to the Gear 2 was to improve performance and battery performance. It begs the question to me if Google Wear becomes a reliable OS that Samsung might eventually push Google Wear over to its Gear 2 like it did with the Galaxy Gear and Tizen. This of course is pure speculation by me. I think it has a slim chance of happening but it it does that could be interesting since next week i receive my Gear 2. If not official i could definitely see the community porting Wear 2 the Gear 2 in the next year or so. I mean we are all aware that the Gear 1 ran on android so its not like the architecture is completely different. In fact they use the same CPU.

Lets all speculate together below XD.

i recently brought the gear 2,i was going to buy the live but wanted at least 2+ days of battery and a camera, when looking on the samsung website i saw that the gear live has only 1 day of battery life!

Wrathlon

May 15, 2009
As an IT Tech my Gear 1 is amazingly handy. I really want to Gear 2 but I cant do a lot of the stuff I've come to use my Gear 1 for courtesy of Null ROM and Android.

The Live would be perfect...if it had a speaker/mic and IR Blaster. The IR blaster is the one thing I really want from the Gear 2 and the calling I use constantly during the day as I like old school imports and they don't have bluetooth handsfree. Its also handy for quickly answering stuff while Im in a spot where getting my phone out is a bit difficult like on a ladder or in a roof.

Skander1998

May 23, 2012
Doha
Samsung Galaxy Note 3
Samsung Galaxy S7
Tizen 3.0 development is progressing fast, doesn't seem like samsung will abandon tizen any time soon on it's flagship wearables. They are also running a gear app challenge currently with millions of dollars.

TL;DR you'll probably see huge and aggressive advances in the Tizen OS to compete with Android Wear and the possible apple wearables, not a switch back.

diamantericos

Jan 2, 2011
This is my primary complaint against Gear 2. I am not sure why Samsung keeps pushing S-Voice. It can't recognize much I say. It is mostly worthless. Google's voice recognition on the other hand is very good.

Fact Samsung has a complex obsessed with their own crap that no one wants . Mostly all of Google versions are way better. For example translate, OK Google , search, etc. Now as many have stated the camera in gear 2 is useful besides android wear is still a baby. We just have to be patient

Sent from my SM-N900T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Reactions: wazzaman

dazkeirle

Jun 20, 2009
Did anyone realized the android wear app recognizes the gear 2. It see mines

Hmm very interesting.

I personally quite like a lot of the Gear " apps, shame there isnt better support for Trello, Facebook, Ebay etc. but maybe in time. I think we may be left hoping though as I'm fairly sure all their eggs are in wear basket.

With that said we really need a port of wear to Gear 2 to give us that option.

dazkeirle

Jun 20, 2009
yeah but its for gear 2 as well. it states in the OP

Maybe so, but as a Gear 2 owner I wouldn't be reading that thread if it were't for the cross post as nothing in the original gear section interests me.

This may be the case for all gear 2 readers and owners who would never see it to support.

raiu

Oct 10, 2008
Maybe so, but as a Gear 2 owner I wouldn't be reading that thread if it were't for the cross post as nothing in the original gear section interests me.

This may be the case for all gear 2 readers and owners who would never see it to support.

Im not really sure the mods will let me double post. I will go ahead and make an announcement in the gen section of Gear 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

I just boght that too... pretty mad:rolleyes:

There is no reason to be mad! You just bought the best smart watch that exist! I doubt that we will see a lot of android wear watches with the capability of taking photos and use as a phone to make calls!
    And it is amazing beautiful!!! I saw two colleagues who has one and they bought a silver wrist and it looks even more amazing!

14+-+1

14+-+2
    I really don't like the look of the ui in android wear to be honest with you all

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using XDA Free mobile app
    Well i feel that Tizen on the gear2 was more of a porting and custom optimization move on their part. Its like hey since we already have all the resources for our new OS lets tweak it for the gear so it can turn a few more heads until we decide what wear might be like in the consumer environment. You have to understand that the original Gear was under alot of bad reviews for battery life. From a business stand point it might just be more cost efficient and smarter to port what you built in house and wait for the best alternative to surface. Especially if your a close partner to a OS that your working maybe months or years before it was announced.

:good::good::Well thought out.

---------- Post added at 09:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 PM ----------

Good Question...

I want that when i pick up my wrist... my Mic activates automatically... and i can give a command to navigate somewhere.

and then look to my watch and and see directional instructions.

you are right its a small screen. thats why it should have powerful stuff in it.

that is what i can call a smart watch.

S-Voice does not even come close to that...

its just a shame that we buy a Gear 2... and we have to wait 6 months for Samsung and Tizen to Evolve.
    so we can see something that is already here... :confused:

:cyclops:Samsung they want to build an Empire of apps and devices... and we have to pay for it!

they are smart my friend. they planned it like this.

(This posting of mine is in reply to the rhetoric that Kaygeee posted on another page titled "!! Votes for Android Wear on the Gear 2!!" I just thought it appropriate to paste it here as well)

That's a pretty ridiculous statement. How old are you? Android Wear was announced months ago and it has also been published in many media circles that Samsung was also on board starting perhaps 1 month ago to release their Android Wear variant.

First of all the Gear is a lot more nuanced for anyone to say that they've gotten the gist of understanding it's full potential in a mere 2 days. It's a new platform hence it's more than meets the eye . That's like me buying the Pebble knowing that it is extremely rudimentary in it's functionality and saying after 1 day that it's garbage. I'd still need at least a week to say that. That is why paid reviewers never release their final draft before spending sufficient time with any new device.

The Svoice is excellent for texting, reminders, calling my contacts, note taking with about a 95% accuracy rate. The media player is phenomenal and when it's combined with the free app Launcher from the gear store I can't imagine a better setup. Notifications are superb. Battery life is great. Camera is very useful when I need to take a visual note of a label or whatever. Not to mention the developing platform of apps I use on a regular basis that are amazing when it comes to adding awesome functionality (Omelet app to share quick pics with my wife who owns a gear as well. Fleksy to type messages when it's too noisy)

To the statement of voiding your warranty in 2 days. Who does that? The Tizen SDK is there for any one to use. It's fairly simple and doesn't make you an expert on a platform because you've written a basic app. The list of things that you've given is an inherent part of any device like an Iphone or any smart device. I would argue that because you've done those things on those platforms doesn't make you an engineer.
    So I ask you go back and watch the Google I/O event again and keep in mind that the Android Wear has ripped off many features from the Gear. I sorta like it myself. However navigating that thing is gonna be a nightmare. There is room for improvement on it as well just like the Gear's Tizen. It takes these companies a long time to get these things right. Enjoy the times we're living in. Imagine how awful the 70's, 80's and 90's were when in came to tech.

Like the previous com mentor to your statement said return your device back to wherever you bought it or sell it on Ebay/Craigslist. I for one am going to see how things develop with Android Wear, however I can proudly say that I've enjoyed everyday spent with my Samsung Gear.
    the milk and whithey nighties.. is for u old man.

its day time here.

so u relax and dont hate please im just a messenger. my poll is for my cause which is not lost yet.

if you like to spit.. spit some of your wise knowledge in direction of porting Android Wear to the Gear 2...

:p:laugh:Like you said Junior you're the expert. Sooner or later your rants and complaining will force Samsung to their knees. Certainly now they will port Wear over to the Gear2 right away cause you're Kaygeee. You've been ripped off. You bought a piece of tech and something else is on the horizon. You should have been privy to that info before hand. Your bullet points are sound. You've voided your device within 2 days. Overall you are rational in all of concerns. They'll certainly seek your mercy since you have the power of this poll. Yeah Junior. You can make it happen. We support you!:D