[SECURITY ALERT!] DroidDream Malware Found in Official Android Market

Search This thread

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
AT&T Samsung Galaxy Note I717
Google pulls 56 malicious apps from Android Marketplace

original source: http://blog.mylookout.com/2011/03/s...-found-in-official-android-market-droiddream/

List of malicious Android App that steals your information and download additional craps to your phone

Full list Developed by “Myournet”:

• Falling Down
  • Super Guitar Solo
  • Super History Eraser
  • Photo Editor
  • Super Ringtone Maker
  • Super Sex Positions
  • Hot Sexy Videos
  • Chess
  • 下坠滚球_Falldown
  • Hilton Sex Sound
  • Screaming Sexy Japanese Girls
  • Falling Ball Dodge
  • Scientific Calculator
  • Dice Roller
  • 躲避弹球
  • Advanced Currency Converter
  • App Uninstaller
  • 几何战机_PewPew
  • Funny Paint
  • Spider Man
  • 蜘蛛侠

Full list Developed by “Kingmall2010″:
  • Bowling Time
  • Advanced Barcode Scanner
  • Supre Bluetooth Transfer
  • Task Killer Pro
  • Music Box
  • Sexy Girls: Japanese
  • Sexy Legs
  • Advanced File Manager
  • Magic Strobe Light
  • 致命绝色美腿
  • 墨水坦克Panzer Panic
  • 裸奔先生Mr. Runner
  • 软件强力卸载
  • Advanced App to SD
  • Super Stopwatch & Timer
  • Advanced Compass Leveler
  • Best password safe
  • 掷骰子
  • 多彩绘画

Full list Developed by “we20090202″:

• Finger Race
  • Piano
  • Bubble Shoot
  • Advanced Sound Manager
  • Magic Hypnotic Spiral
  • Funny Face
  • Color Blindness Test
  • Tie a Tie
  • Quick Notes
  • Basketball Shot Now
  • Quick Delete Contacts
  • Omok Five in a Row
  • Super Sexy Ringtones
  • 大家来找茬
  • 桌上曲棍球
  • 投篮高手

Personal warning I'll also include AppsPlanet into those list if I were you.

Last edited:

yiannisthegreek

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
Hey Allgamer,

Thanks for the great post / update!!!

Just wondering how much you are selling your Galaxy S for? Please PM me and let me know.

Thanks,

yiannisthegreek

T

Tehpriest

In case you have installed them.

Google spikes 21 malicious apps with big download counts from the Market
Google just removed some 21 apps from the Market in the last day from a publisher going by Myournet for doing all sorts of naughty things to your device. Offenses include attempting to root your phone, uploading phone information (including IMEI) to who-knows-where, and -- most egregiously -- adding a backdoor that allows additional code to be pulled down and executed.

List of his apps (may not be all)
http://www.androidzoom.com/android_developer/myournet_thqw.html

And Mashable

http://mashable.com/2011/03/01/android-malware-apps/

You should ALWAYS read the forum before posting

Last edited by a moderator:

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
Any views as to whether installing Norton, MacAfee or similar would have picked these up?

Any of the well known Antivirus app for android should have picked it up.

I used to think we'll never need an AntiVirus app for Android... well think again.

after reading the article i downloaded all of them to run a full scan and the results are good

I scanned my phone and it's all clean

snap20110302123325.png

Last edited:

AllGamer

Retired Forum Moderator
May 24, 2008
SGH-T989
Should one of these apps had been installed already (Photo Editor), is there something else I can do ... other than flashing ?

Thx

you can simply un-install it, it doesn't really do anything to your phone until you run the app

and even if you did, uninstalling it will remove the problem

Flashing the phone is a bit over the top :p it's enough to do a system wipe if you want to be 100% sure, and then restore all your apps from backup, excluding the fake ones

Reactions: AvalonGamer

MightyDrakeC

Jan 25, 2011
you can simply un-install it, it doesn't really do anything to your phone until you run the app

This is actually an incomplete answer.

As noted on Android Police, (I'm new so I can't link there) these apps open a backdoor, which can download additional apps that can do *anything*. The original app doesn't do much on its own. But, removing the infected app will leave behind the additional malware introduced through the backdoor.

Reactions: damastah

uncletaz

Apr 22, 2006
Is there anyone who knows if these apps actually worked? What I mean is if the games for example were actually games? The reason I ask is that there is a bubble shoot like game installed on a friends phone which works (not sure if it's the one mentioned above).

So would you be able to recognize that malicious app in that way?

Edit: just noticed on the Lookout Blog that they actively send out a patch to detect these apps (if I read it correctly):

http://blog.mylookout.com/2011/03/s...-found-in-official-android-market-droiddream/

So if you have not yet scanned for those apps, do it now ;-)

Last edited:

traumaheli

May 21, 2009
How to remove and consequences

First i manyally uninstalled the "Advanced Barcode Scanner" of KingMall2010.
Second i scanned my device with Kasparsky and Lookout, both didn't find any threads.
In the end i performed a reset to factory settings and a format of my SD-card.

Can anyone please tell me if this actions are sufficient to completely whipe this malware of my device?

Also i would like to know if this malware actively sent my private data to servers, or that it just opened a backdoor for later use. And if my data is already sent, what are the consequences and which actions should i take to do something about it.

silverstorm

Sep 22, 2006
London
Second i scanned my device with Kasparsky and Lookout, both didn't find any threads.

Can anyone please tell me if this actions are sufficient to completely whipe this malware of my device?

Also i would like to know if this malware actively sent my private data to servers, or that it just opened a backdoor for later use. And if my data is already sent, what are the consequences and which actions should i take to do something about it.

What you've done so far seems sufficient enough to clear the malware from your phone system. Even if it copied a backup on your SD card (internal & external) if you've wiped both then it should be ok.

In regards to already leaked data, I would immediately change my passwords to gmail, emails, facebook, ebay etc or any other site that you may have used on your phone.

traumaheli

May 21, 2009
What you've done so far seems sufficient enough to clear the malware from your phone system. Even if it copied a backup on your SD card (internal & external) if you've wiped both then it should be ok.

In regards to already leaked data, I would immediately change my passwords to gmail, emails, facebook, ebay etc or any other site that you may have used on your phone.

Thanks for your quick reaction. It makes me a little more comfortable. Indeed i already changed my password's.

I already called my phone provider, but apparently could not tell me whether the IMSI (international mobile subscription identity) and SIM card serial number are sufficient information to clone my SIM card. This is the information that would be sent by the malware to remote servers.

Therefor after work i go to get a new SIM card. It's better to be safe than sory after all.

SirBrass

Sep 12, 2010
Phoenix
I'm still not convinced on running a constant anti-malware app on my phone. Even with a good processor, my cpu cycles are a precious resource to keep my phone running light and fast.

How heavy on system performance is lookout? Does it only activate and scan when new material is installed?

Intlstyle

Dec 15, 2010
Lookout scans when u download or install any app on your phone, i havent noticed it running unless im installing

Reactions: silverstorm

tizocalamilla

Jul 5, 2010
my question is what is the deal with app planet? i have it installed on my phone along with another app mentioned on the list...why would app planet be something to be worried about???

(P.S. im about five minutes away from wipeing my phone spottless clean thx for the Alert!!!!!)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Google pulls 56 malicious apps from Android Marketplace

original source: http://blog.mylookout.com/2011/03/s...-found-in-official-android-market-droiddream/

List of malicious Android App that steals your information and download additional craps to your phone

Full list Developed by “Myournet”:

• Falling Down
    • Super Guitar Solo
    • Super History Eraser
    • Photo Editor
    • Super Ringtone Maker
    • Super Sex Positions
    • Hot Sexy Videos
    • Chess
    • 下坠滚球_Falldown
    • Hilton Sex Sound
    • Screaming Sexy Japanese Girls
    • Falling Ball Dodge
    • Scientific Calculator
    • Dice Roller
    • 躲避弹球
    • Advanced Currency Converter
    • App Uninstaller
    • 几何战机_PewPew
    • Funny Paint
    • Spider Man
    • 蜘蛛侠

Full list Developed by “Kingmall2010″:
    • Bowling Time
    • Advanced Barcode Scanner
    • Supre Bluetooth Transfer
    • Task Killer Pro
    • Music Box
    • Sexy Girls: Japanese
    • Sexy Legs
    • Advanced File Manager
    • Magic Strobe Light
    • 致命绝色美腿
    • 墨水坦克Panzer Panic
    • 裸奔先生Mr. Runner
    • 软件强力卸载
    • Advanced App to SD
    • Super Stopwatch & Timer
    • Advanced Compass Leveler
    • Best password safe
    • 掷骰子
    • 多彩绘画

Full list Developed by “we20090202″:

• Finger Race
    • Piano
    • Bubble Shoot
    • Advanced Sound Manager
    • Magic Hypnotic Spiral
    • Funny Face
    • Color Blindness Test
    • Tie a Tie
    • Quick Notes
    • Basketball Shot Now
    • Quick Delete Contacts
    • Omok Five in a Row
    • Super Sexy Ringtones
    • 大家来找茬
    • 桌上曲棍球
    • 投篮高手

Personal warning I'll also include AppsPlanet into those list if I were you.

Should one of these apps had been installed already (Photo Editor), is there something else I can do ... other than flashing ?

Thx

Thx

Flashing the phone is a bit over the top :p it's enough to do a system wipe if you want to be 100% sure, and then restore all your apps from backup, excluding the fake ones

This is actually an incomplete answer.

As noted on Android Police, (I'm new so I can't link there) these apps open a backdoor, which can download additional apps that can do *anything*. The original app doesn't do much on its own. But, removing the infected app will leave behind the additional malware introduced through the backdoor.