Overheating issue

Search This thread

muvilici

Feb 3, 2014
Bucharest
I'm running Slimbean 4.3.1 ROM with Iodak 9.95 kernel. I have played Modern Combat 4 for like 10 minutes and the phone felt like it was about to catch fire. Any idea on how I could solve this?

Sent from my Optimus 4X

JoinTheRealms

Apr 7, 2012
I'm running Slimbean 4.3.1 ROM with Iodak 9.95 kernel. I have played Modern Combat 4 for like 10 minutes and the phone felt like it was about to catch fire. Any idea on how I could solve this?

Sent from my Optimus 4X

underclocking and/or and undervolting is really all you can do, the are plenty of protections in the kernel for individual components from overheating, the phone will begin to throttle (automatically underclock) around 75c generally and shut down in the mid 80c. So other than the battery drain, theres not really anything to be concerned with.

Reactions: muvilici

Climuff

Sep 24, 2013
How hot is the phone allowed to be? I wouldnt say that my 4XHD catches fire, but when I do something like play a game it is so hot that I cant touch the back of the phone for ~10 seconds because its too hot. Is this bad for the phone? I did no overclocking oder such things. Stock kernel and Vanir 4.3.

JoinTheRealms

Apr 7, 2012
How hot is the phone allowed to be? I wouldnt say that my 4XHD catches fire, but when I do something like play a game it is so hot that I cant touch the back of the phone for ~10 seconds because its too hot. Is this bad for the phone? I did no overclocking oder such things. Stock kernel and Vanir 4.3.

Well theoretically the SoC will start to deteriorate rapidly around mid 90c+ but it has built in protections, independent of kernel/ android to prevent that, still you would have to go out of your way to disable/ remove all protections in the kernel source before that become a problem.

The kernel will shutdown around mid 80s (this number is usually tweaked in custom kernels) but before that the cpu will start throttling mid 70s (and usually temps wont go past this)

Climuff

Sep 24, 2013
Well theoretically the SoC will start to deteriorate rapidly around mid 90c+ but it has built in protections, independent of kernel/ android to prevent that, still you would have to go out of your way to disable/ remove all protections in the kernel source before that become a problem.

The kernel will shutdown around mid 80s (this number is usually tweaked in custom kernels) but before that the cpu will start throttling mid 70s (and usually temps wont go past this)

thanks for the answer, so I dont have to worry about the temps...

IcanhasLG

Feb 27, 2014

Modern circuits start to degrade at about 70 degrees but below that they will do just fine, 70 degrees will burn your skin to blisters.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sent from my Optimus 4X

underclocking and/or and undervolting is really all you can do, the are plenty of protections in the kernel for individual components from overheating, the phone will begin to throttle (automatically underclock) around 75c generally and shut down in the mid 80c. So other than the battery drain, theres not really anything to be concerned with.