[SOLVED] SM-P605 (kitkat) battery charging problem

Search This thread

graylynx

Jun 7, 2014
It is solved! Some 3rd-party usb chargers have same issue.
Samsung standard charger works very well. :)

I have a Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 edition (Hongkong, TGY).
Yesterday I updated my device to 4.4.2 (P605ZSUCNE3_P605OZSCNE3_TGY) with Odin.
Upgrading was OK, everything works fine except a battery charging problem.
When device connects to a usb charger, the battery stops charging after 1-2 minutes although not 100%.

I tried something but nothing helps.
- Changing charger/cable to another
- Factory reset (Recovery mode)
- Flashing P605XXUCNE2_P605OXACNE2_NEE (Nordic) Firmware
- Power off mode charging -> It works. This is the only way to make device 100% that I found.

Last edited:

Mack 10

Jan 7, 2011
SM-P605 battery issue (I still have one!)

Having same issue. Seems to stop when screen times out

I've got the same issue following the 4.4.2 update, all my third party charges that worked fine before the update no longer work. Battery management software show the device getting the same mA of current to the battery but the device is not charging (it says that it is!).

Original charger does work but is not a valid solution for me, why are the non-oem chargers not working all of a sudden and how do I get them to work again?

---------- Post added at 08:55 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:06 AM ----------

Having same issue. Seems to stop when screen times out

I've got the same issue following the 4.4.2 update, all my third party charges that worked fine before the update no longer work. Battery management software show the device getting the same mA of current to the battery but the device is not charging (it says that it is!).

Original charger does work but is not a valid solution for me, why are the non-oem chargers not working all of a sudden and how do I get them to work again?

fastguy

Feb 22, 2006
I'm having the same problem, trying to fix with some charger mods (shorting data pins of USB) or fast charge kernel. The kernel hack did not work yet, but shorting the d+ and d+ pins of usb cable on device end works. (although I could achive max 1.5mah)

Razorless

Aug 10, 2008
According to this

http://www.androidpolice.com/2014/0...t-on-the-note-3-but-there-is-a-root-solution/

Samsung denies any intentional blocking and a connection between KitKat and third party accessories.

I tried my third party chargers and they too didn't work. Charging stopped when the screen turned off. However, my Motorola and HTC chargers do work. Maybe the third party tings have inconsisten voltage output or something like that.

I had the new Tab s 10.5 and some of my usb chargers would not work. I found a deal way to good to pass up so I returned the Tab s and THOUGHT I was getting a Note 10.1 2014 wifi. Yet lol I didnt I got a 605 which is AWESOME ..I just always wanted the SnapDragon chip. It was a tad over $400 32gb NEW.

Anyway so I turn it on set it up and it was downloading 4.4 already I wanted to stay with 4.3 after reading around here. Yet so far it works flawless. All my usb chargers work. I can be doing ANYTHING and it keeps charging. Like I said the Tab s I could ONLY use Samsungs.

thevilish

Feb 29, 2008
In my case Android 4.4 for P605 is way better than 4.3. Great battery live, great performance, no or very small lags. But I had initial release of 4.3 ROM which was never updated.

fastguy

Feb 22, 2006
If it is just shorting the data pins, then it will charge. But you will be limited to 1500mah.

fastguy

Feb 22, 2006
I think it needs an Apple compatible charger. Only the Apple standard supports charging over Usb 2 at 2A, for the Ipad.
The Anker 5 port 8A charger is fantastic.
No, I did that mistake and bought a dual port 4a charger. Samsung somehow detects Apple charger and stops charging when screen turns off. I had to make an adapter for shorting data pins, like this, I can at least charge with 1.5a

clacu

Sep 1, 2014
while i was on vacation my p605 starts having the same problem. It is just loading while the screen is on. After getting black/off it takes a few more seconds till charging stops. This problem is accompanied by the symptom that the tablet won't be recognized by the pc anymore. It is just loading ('til the screen gets black). i have no idea what to do. i am not sure, if the different voltage on vacation could be a reason. based on the fact that i can't get it back to stock, i guess i can not get it repaired by warranty (or is there any way to get it stock? unfortunately mobile odin is not supported). i would be glad about some good hints and thank you in advance

fastguy

Feb 22, 2006
Your cable or charger might have a problem or you may be using a different charger than original one.

Pabyanek

Nov 11, 2010
Hi everyone,

I've found a bit different issue - my P605 (LTE) does not want to be charged when plugged into USB port (so, no charger is being used).
I tried both using laptop and stationary PC

//ok, nevermind. I've just found somewhere else, that it has been always like that (not noticed that before)

Last edited:

smocohiba

Oct 24, 2014
Exact same problem here - charging stops as soon as the screen lock kicks in, even with the original Samsung charger. Brought the tablet back to the tmobile store and had them connect to another Samsung charger - still happens.

Has anyone found a fix for this short of shorting the harger pins?

lecorbusier

Nov 28, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S5
LG G6
I don't follow my own advice, and never had this problem. But charge with the original cable where the two GND pins are connected. In most cables one of them is open.
My old Garmin Street Pilot with mini usb used the second GND pin to determine whether to remain operational and charge, or go into pc connectivity mode and do nothing else.

redbaron414

Apr 12, 2011
I have the same problem . After upgrading to Kit kat just a few days ago it would stop charging moments after the screen turns off. No matter what cable or charger

fastguy

Feb 22, 2006
This happens to me only when I'm not using original 5.3v charger and original cable. Check your cable and charger. (although I think it works with 5v Samsung charger of my note 3 as well)

lecorbusier

Nov 28, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S5
LG G6
My last charger had 4.9v with no load, and certainly lower with a 2A load. No Problems. But if a charger is badly stabilized, it may drop too much, and the Note is very demanding, with twice the current of a typical phone.
I had a DIY adapter to charge my old Nokia stuff via USB. The Nokia chargers have a 5v spec, but one provided 6v, another 7v. And USB voltage seemed too low, there was sort of sporadic charge, with the connection dropping after a short time. But all connections were fine, must have been a voltage thang.
So i still have to keep a Nokia charger ready, only to charge my Nokia BT headset.

Last edited:

marine1721

Nov 13, 2014
Galaxy Note 10.1 2014 Edition Charging Fail

Has anyone discovered a fix for this:
When I plug in my tablet...Samsung Galaxy Note 2014 Edition...Using any plug (I have tried factory charger, and multiple alternatives including Ipad Charging adapters) when the screen is on the charging occurs, but When the screen closes about 2 seconds later the screen turns back on the way it does when charge is complete, only its still at same battery level as before! I have tried closing all apps and still the same, Used Task Manager to close all apps and clear the RAM and still nothing, Gone into app manager and closed running processes and still the same results! I am operating KitKat (OS since purchase) and the only actual way to charge it is to leave a plug in all day with the screen On, or shut off the Tablet!

Is there a fix for this or what?

Its bad enough that I cant find a good bluetooth keyboard that is compatible with this tablet! Im on the verge of trading it in and going Apple! Someone please help...Keep me from turning to Apple!

Is there a fix for this even if it requires manually adjusting chargers or the tablet itself (the internal components)?

thank you all for your help!

Semper Fi