paulburton

Jan 5, 2012
Manchester
www.paulburton.eu
Ice Cream Sandwich for the TF101

Homepage
Bug Tracker
Source

You might also like to read my blog post which started this and has some bad photos of it running.

tf101-ics-20120219.png

Usual disclaimer applies: if you brick your tablet, it's not my problem!

Builds:

20120219 - NvFlash or CWM
Improve touchscreen responsiveness
Gyro & accelerometer support
Fix hardware video decode support
Re-add calendar app
Update GApps​
20120211 - NvFlash or CWM
Fix touchscreen hang/death/brokenness
Remove mobile signal icon from system bar
Fix superuser settings crash
Revert a graphics hack no longer necessary with the newer nvidia drivers – potential speed up
Update GApps​
20120209 - NvFlash or CWM
Fix tablet wakeup bug, it stays asleep now
Fix screen corruption during early boot
Battery meter returns
CWM update zip clears caches, still do a factory reset (ie. format /data) if coming from honeycomb​
20120201 - NvFlash or CWM
Suspend improvements, now uses LP0, but still likes waking itself up
Backlight fixed
Storage settings no longer crashes
USB device improvements, MTP indicator etc
USB drives & micro SD cards mount, images visible in gallery etc.
CWM update zip now just writes everything as a blob, should avoid all previous zip-related problems
Graphics drivers updated to those from nVidia’s ventana devkit ICS release
Includes Google apps​
20120121 - NvFlash or CWM
Suspend improvements (still needs work)
Headphones should work properly
Improve CWM update zip to cope with mounted /data​
20120112 - NvFlash or CWM CWM, CWM mirror
Initial audio support (still needs work)
Bluetooth working
WiFi MAC address fixed
Rooted
USB fixes
Include a CWM update zip version (be careful, remember only use if you can flash back honeycomb)​
Using a 2.6.39 kernel
Orientation defaulting to landscape
RAM size fixed
Hopefully fix suspend
Fixed WiFi​
Initial build​

Last edited:

Novarider

Jul 20, 2010
Have you considered working with the other devs on this? There is a pre alpha thread in the dev section if you work together maybe you can get something more stable cooked up.

Reactions: stolicus

paulburton

Jan 5, 2012
Manchester
www.paulburton.eu
Have you considered working with the other devs on this? There is a pre alpha thread in the dev section if you work together maybe you can get something more stable cooked up.

That's possible, but communicating the current state & maintaining a repository seem like they'd just be boring and slow me down at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I do plan to upload the source but I'd rather get it working better first. There's also the touchscreen bodge I mentioned, which though it works I'd never consider committing to a public repository! It doesn't look like the other build has anything I don't, but it is missing some things I have (wifi, touchscreen, no green screen etc).

K900

Aug 12, 2010
Moscow
That's possible, but communicating the current state & maintaining a repository seem like they'd just be boring and slow me down at the moment. Don't get me wrong, I do plan to upload the source but I'd rather get it working better first. There's also the touchscreen bodge I mentioned, which though it works I'd never consider committing to a public repository! It doesn't look like the other build has anything I don't, but it is missing some things I have (wifi, touchscreen, no green screen etc).

Oh come on, don't pull a CyanogenMod on this. Collaboration is always good, and having multiple people work on the same things in parallel is just useless. Even if you do spend some time for the initial setup, all you'll have to do later is git commit && git push.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

paulburton

Jan 5, 2012
Manchester
www.paulburton.eu
Oh come on, don't pull a CyanogenMod on this. Collaboration is always good, and having multiple people work on the same things in parallel is just useless. Even if you do spend some time for the initial setup, all you'll have to do later is git commit && git push.

I'm not sure you realise how much is involved, it's not just a commit & push because android isn't just one git repository. I've put my device tree on github (still can't link to it, but my username there is the same as here) in the device_asus_tf101 repository. However, you still won't be able to build everything because you're missing the binary blobs etc, and if you pull them from my build the touchscreen still won't work because the bodge I mentioned is in frameworks/base. Please be patient!

Reactions: thompson5545

K900

Aug 12, 2010
Moscow
I'm not sure you realise how much is involved, it's not just a commit & push because android isn't just one git repository. I've put my device tree on github (still can't link to it, but my username there is the same as here) in the device_asus_tf101 repository. However, you still won't be able to build everything because you're missing the binary blobs etc, and if you pull them from my build the touchscreen still won't work because the bodge I mentioned is in frameworks/base. Please be patient!

I understand that, I just hope you and other developers work together, something that seems difficult at the start but will pay off farther away. I'm not a skilled Android developer, but I'm familiar with Linux (being a distribution maintainer and developer) and I know how important the community is and how collaboration can be neglected at first.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

luna_c666

Dec 30, 2011
I agree, I'm not a dev but I have installed 50 or more custom roms on four different phones and two tablets, and any single dev rom I've ever flashed never felt complete or smooth. Other people may propose different and possibly better ways to fix certain issues, maybe that they have encountered and you haven't perhaps. Just saying even Einstein collaborated with other scientists and Steve Jobs collaborated with other software designers. It could only benefit the project overall, especially if you dictate the respective roles of the devs assisting you..that seems to be the whole point here on xda, not just 'look what I wrote or 'help me fix this but more community, and that's what encouraged me to sign up. I doubt I would have if I didn't also have the opportunity to learn about how the software is being designed rather than 'here is some software. In fact, I don't flash any rom that isn't reviewed and discussed by more than two people on this forum, and I won't flash yours until there is a detailed list of features and bugs, it's a safeguard I do to keep from flashing abandonware, and I just can't see one guy being able to do everything needed to get a working ICS rom up, not saying anything about your skills etc. But when I was a tattooist, I used to practice on myself, and after discussing my ink with an old timer and showing him what I needed to fix he asked 'do you want your tattoos done by yourself, or do you want them done right?' Good luck, I can't wait to try it out when more people get it installed and a list of bugs/fixes is posted!

paulburton

Jan 5, 2012
Manchester
www.paulburton.eu
I agree, I'm not a dev but I have installed 50 or more custom roms on four different phones and two tablets, and any single dev rom I've ever flashed never felt complete or smooth. Other people may propose different and possibly better ways to fix certain issues, maybe that they have encountered and you haven't perhaps. Just saying even Einstein collaborated with other scientists and Steve Jobs collaborated with other software designers. It could only benefit the project overall, especially if you dictate the respective roles of the devs assisting you..that seems to be the whole point here on xda, not just 'look what I wrote or 'help me fix this but more community, and that's what encouraged me to sign up. I doubt I would have if I didn't also have the opportunity to learn about how the software is being designed rather than 'here is some software. In fact, I don't flash any rom that isn't reviewed and discussed by more than two people on this forum, and I won't flash yours until there is a detailed list of features and bugs, it's a safeguard I do to keep from flashing abandonware, and I just can't see one guy being able to do everything needed to get a working ICS rom up, not saying anything about your skills etc. But when I was a tattooist, I used to practice on myself, and after discussing my ink with an old timer and showing him what I needed to fix he asked 'do you want your tattoos done by yourself, or do you want them done right?' Good luck, I can't wait to try it out when more people get it installed and a list of bugs/fixes is posted!

Community is great, and if anyone wishes to work on something the device tree should be enough for them to do so. I'll get the kernel source out too but at the moment I'm using 2.6.36 and need to port to 2.6.39, so I'll probably wait until after I get that running. (If anyone's really desperate for the current kernel it's basically ASUS stock with one patch to the tegra overlay code, which I'd link to if I could post links...).

I'm fine with you not flashing it, you don't sound like the audience at the moment anyway - once I get the rest of the hardware working that'll change... I posted this just because I expect there'll be some people who want to see it running despite its many flaws, and as I fix them I expect more people will be interested. If I'm wrong and nobody wants to try it then that's fine too, I still get ICS on my tablet and I'm happy.

It might sound arrogant, but I can handle getting this thing working. I've done a fair bit of android work and much more complicated stuff than a device port. Just give me a bit of time :)

Sharpe351

Jul 3, 2011
Central Florida
Nice work Paul. Keep up the hard work!! It seems you have gotten further than some, or even most, at this point from what I've been able to gather. Of course, I am not sure exactly how much is working from Asus' official build, but I think they are probably a bit nervous seeing that there are other devs (such as yourself) that may or may not be further along with it than they are. I would venture a guess to say that Asus is probably beta testing already, especially seeing the size of the company and the amount of people rumored to be working on this. Anyhow, thanks for the effort and happy building.

sent from my ASUS Transformer running Prime 2.1.1 using Tapatalk

gabbre

Jan 31, 2010
Is a flashable zip available? Nice work
Anyway, is the ICS browser faster than the HC's one?

A_new_person

May 10, 2010
Great job! But now I have a question - how can I flash HC 3.2.1, i.e. Prime? If I just flash it from CWM asus is not booting, but I don't want to lose my files on sdcard with flashing nvflash, so is it any other way of installing HC?
Sorry for my language

paulburton

Jan 5, 2012
Manchester
www.paulburton.eu
Great job! But now I have a question - how can I flash HC 3.2.1, i.e. Prime? If I just flash it from CWM asus is not booting, but I don't want to lose my files on sdcard with flashing nvflash, so is it any other way of installing HC?
Sorry for my language

You can flash just boot.img & system.img (partition 6 & 9 respectively) by doing something like this:

Code:
./nvflash --bct transformer.bct --setbct --configfile flash.cfg --bl bootloader.bin --odmdata 0x300d8011 --sbk 0x1682CCD8 0x8A1A43EA      0xA532EEB6 0xECFE1D98 --sync
./nvflash --resume --download 6 boot.img
./nvflash --resume --download 9 system.img
./nvflash --resume --sync --go

You might need to (ie. probably should) clear userdata too, which I'm sure CWM will let you do. Your sdcard should remain intact (but don't blame me if it doesn't!).

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ice Cream Sandwich for the TF101

Homepage
    Bug Tracker
    Source

You might also like to read my blog post which started this and has some bad photos of it running.

tf101-ics-20120219.png

Usual disclaimer applies: if you brick your tablet, it's not my problem!

Builds:

20120219 - NvFlash or CWM
    Improve touchscreen responsiveness
    Gyro & accelerometer support
    Fix hardware video decode support
    Re-add calendar app
    Update GApps​
    20120211 - NvFlash or CWM
    Fix touchscreen hang/death/brokenness
    Remove mobile signal icon from system bar
    Fix superuser settings crash
    Revert a graphics hack no longer necessary with the newer nvidia drivers – potential speed up
    Update GApps​
    20120209 - NvFlash or CWM
    Fix tablet wakeup bug, it stays asleep now
    Fix screen corruption during early boot
    Battery meter returns
    CWM update zip clears caches, still do a factory reset (ie. format /data) if coming from honeycomb​
    20120201 - NvFlash or CWM
    Suspend improvements, now uses LP0, but still likes waking itself up
    Backlight fixed
    Storage settings no longer crashes
    USB device improvements, MTP indicator etc
    USB drives & micro SD cards mount, images visible in gallery etc.
    CWM update zip now just writes everything as a blob, should avoid all previous zip-related problems
    Graphics drivers updated to those from nVidia’s ventana devkit ICS release
    Includes Google apps​
    20120121 - NvFlash or CWM
    Suspend improvements (still needs work)
    Headphones should work properly
    Improve CWM update zip to cope with mounted /data​
    20120112 - NvFlash or CWM CWM, CWM mirror
    Initial audio support (still needs work)
    Bluetooth working
    WiFi MAC address fixed
    Rooted
    USB fixes
    Include a CWM update zip version (be careful, remember only use if you can flash back honeycomb)​
    Using a 2.6.39 kernel
    Orientation defaulting to landscape
    RAM size fixed
    Hopefully fix suspend
    Fixed WiFi​
    Initial build​
    To clarify, I am still working on Spark and I still want to avoid relying on binaries from ASUS. Short term I may make use of their GPS binaries. Long term I want as much as possible open so that when Jelly Bean comes around and ASUS don't care about the TF101 anymore I'm not stuck with outdated binaries. It will be useful when ASUS push out the 2.6.39 source from their ICS release, which I assume will be based on the same nVidia branch as mine. I did also notice nVidia have now pushed out a kernel branch based on 3.1 and I'm looking at rebasing on that.
    When will be the next release ? :)

About 5 minutes ago (for CWM, NvFlash version will be up in ~10 minutes). I will ask though that if you (or anyone else, please don't feel singled out) feel the need to ask any non-technical questions please do so over here in future. Thanks for your interest :)

Everyone else: guys, when someone asks for an ETA can you please just ignore it? Thanks!

Edit: Both CWM & NvFlash versions are now up.
    This is the ROM im most excited about. I think Paul is waiting for source

ASUS' kernel source will be handy, it's not a blocker though - I'm just quite busy... What I have been doing though is this:

ics-20120227-kernel31.jpg
    Alright guys, back to work. There's a new release in the first post. Lots to do, but now I have (a little) more time to do it in. I still don't recommend using it full time until at least the wifi on-off-on (or suspend) breakage is fixed - that's next on my list. I'm also thinking of setting up a bug tracker soon, so that I don't lose track of anything. Thanks to all who've been answering the many questions, and please everyone do keep the non-dev discussions elsewhere.