[Q] Won't get any signal

Search This thread

Xehorze

Jan 25, 2013
Hello, i have just changed from custom rom to stock, beacuse the phone keept to freeze. But now i won't get any signal so i can't send sms or receieve, the same for calling. It won't connect to Wifi or mobile internet either. i have tried factory reset, also tested another stock rom. i'm starting to panic and soon cry.

can someone please help me?:crying:

Kestrel81

Jan 22, 2014
Hello, i have just changed from custom rom to stock, beacuse the phone keept to freeze. But now i won't get any signal so i can't send sms or receieve, the same for calling. It won't connect to Wifi or mobile internet either. i have tried factory reset, also tested another stock rom. i'm starting to panic and soon cry.

I am having the same issue as of yesterday morning. I upgraded from stock unrooted 4.1.2 to 4.3 using official S3 rom. Since then, no texts, calls and internet (still have wifi though). Been reading up and it looks like my efs partition has become corrupted. You may have the same problem. Take a look at your IMEI number under your battery and see if it different to the one given when you dial *#06# on your phone. Mine now ends with 0000, which it shouldn't do.
How to fix? It looks like we can't unless we have a backup of the original efs folder, which I for one don't. Going to see if warranty covers though.

Oh, and I reverted it back to 4.1.2 and have same problem. So that isn't the solution for me anyway.

Last edited:

chrismast

Dec 7, 2007
Bangkok
www.christianreiners.com

4.3 roms (as long as you used that one) are using EFS v2, which is a change from other Android versions that used to use EFS v1. Do you have an EFS backup as instructed from guides?

tallman43

Aug 29, 2011
The Land of Android

I am having the same issue as of yesterday morning. I upgraded from stock unrooted 4.1.2 to 4.3 using official S3 rom. Since then, no texts, calls and internet (still have wifi though). Been reading up and it looks like my efs partition has become corrupted. You may have the same problem. Take a look at your IMEI number under your battery and see if it different to the one given when you dial *#06# on your phone. Mine now ends with 0000, which it shouldn't do.
How to fix? It looks like we can't unless we have a backup of the original efs folder, which I for one don't. Going to see if warranty covers though.

Oh, and I reverted it back to 4.1.2 and have same problem. So that isn't the solution for me anyway.

Have a look >> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2393289 <<

and here >> http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=43946365&postcount=15 <<

and here >> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2547450 <<

Reactions: Kestrel81

Kestrel81

Jan 22, 2014

Thank you for the links. I spent yesterday scouring the web and followed the advice in those links. I am no better off though. Now, I think I am actually worse off as I now have a little window on my home screen which has yellow writing and contains what I can only think is serial numbers of the different components of the device.
After thise, I tried to revert back to 4.1.2 and had same problem. No matter which rom I install now, I have this annoying little window and still no network. :(

boomboomer

Jun 30, 2010
You are now in factory mode, probably as your efs partition won't mount. Go read efs 'know this stuff' in general forum, sticky threads.

There is no easy answer, if you didn't backup your efs folder, you may need to pay for a repair.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Kestrel81

tallman43

Aug 29, 2011
The Land of Android
Thank you for the links. I spent yesterday scouring the web and followed the advice in those links. I am no better off though. Now, I think I am actually worse off as I now have a little window on my home screen which has yellow writing and contains what I can only think is serial numbers of the different components of the device.
After thise, I tried to revert back to 4.1.2 and had same problem. No matter which rom I install now, I have this annoying little window and still no network. :(

+1 What boomboomer said above....

In the links I gave you above it shows you how to get out of factory mode but like boomboomer said "if you didn't backup your efs folder, you may need to pay for a repair".

One final thought have a look on your sd card for a efs backup because some roms back it up when you flash them by default..you may be lucky and have one!

Last edited:

Kestrel81

Jan 22, 2014
Thank you Tallman43 and Bommboomer. I hadn't realised that was what factory mode looked like when I read the thread originally.

I seem to have fixed that problem and now just back to the original issue of no network access except emergency calls. As far as I am aware, I don't have an efs backups as it was reverted back to stock 4.1.2 about three months ago and I used the triangle away trick. I will have a look through my old memory cards and see if any roms added backups on them when they were in my phone. Fingers crossed!

Kestrel81

Jan 22, 2014
Well, i found my backup! Thats the good bit. But unfortunately, none of the methods i have tried have worked. Will try again after i get some sleep.

To the OP, have you had any luck with any particular method?

Kestrel81

Jan 22, 2014
OK, just an update for the OP.
I tried the adb route via PC using http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2393289. Failed four times. Updated and re-downloaded adb and drivers three times! Everything looked like it should, with 2 missing file errors, but phone status never altered. I have no idea what I was doing wrong there, but obviously was. I thought that one of those files may have some importance after all, the other I am sure was useless though.

I tried the EFS Pro, but that wouldn't complete. I tried SGSIII EFS Backup/Restore, and it seemed that it would only restore its own img backups, not my lowly tar.gz file. I tried kTool and that wouldn't even find my file, let alone try to restore it. I assume that also works with img format? I was beginning to think that my backup may have been corrupt as nothing seemed to want to use it.

I tried flashing my tar.gz backup via Odin, but that just crashed Odin. So I extracted my file to a tar (within the gz file) and that crashed odin too. Probably just as well as it would probably have bricked my phone - but I was prepared to try anything at this point.

So, I decided to root my phone again and manually copy everything over from the extracted efs file and overwrote the efs on my root folder. But instead of using ADB, I opted for a different way. I then downloaded and installed busybox and terminal for android and typed out:

chmod 664 /efs/00000000.authtokcont
chmod 755 /efs/FactoryApp
chmod 775 /efs/bluetooth
chmod 775 /efs/drm
chmod 666 /efs/gyro_cal_data
chmod 644 /efs/h2k.dat
chmod 775 /efs/imei
chmod 700 /efs/lost+found
chmod 600 /efs/nv.log
chmod 700 /efs/nv_data.bin
chmod 700 /efs/nv_data.bin.md5
chmod 775 /efs/wifi
chmod 644 /efs/wv.keys

just as I had done whilst on the computer via adb shell. I got two errors this time, lost and found folder didn't exist and 00000000.authtokcont didn't exist. I then typed reboot, it did. I then went to make a drink when I heard my phone vibrating itself silly. I went back to see that I had recieved three days worth of texts and missed call alerts. Boy, am I happy! And to think, when I rang O2 the other day and spoke to one of their "gurus", their diagnosis was that my sim card may have failed so would send me out a replacement!

Thank you XDA

Reactions: tallman43

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Have a look >> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2393289 <<

and here >> http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=43946365&postcount=15 <<

and here >> http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2547450 <<
    You are now in factory mode, probably as your efs partition won't mount. Go read efs 'know this stuff' in general forum, sticky threads.

There is no easy answer, if you didn't backup your efs folder, you may need to pay for a repair.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
    OK, just an update for the OP.
    I tried the adb route via PC using http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2393289. Failed four times. Updated and re-downloaded adb and drivers three times! Everything looked like it should, with 2 missing file errors, but phone status never altered. I have no idea what I was doing wrong there, but obviously was. I thought that one of those files may have some importance after all, the other I am sure was useless though.

I tried the EFS Pro, but that wouldn't complete. I tried SGSIII EFS Backup/Restore, and it seemed that it would only restore its own img backups, not my lowly tar.gz file. I tried kTool and that wouldn't even find my file, let alone try to restore it. I assume that also works with img format? I was beginning to think that my backup may have been corrupt as nothing seemed to want to use it.

I tried flashing my tar.gz backup via Odin, but that just crashed Odin. So I extracted my file to a tar (within the gz file) and that crashed odin too. Probably just as well as it would probably have bricked my phone - but I was prepared to try anything at this point.

So, I decided to root my phone again and manually copy everything over from the extracted efs file and overwrote the efs on my root folder. But instead of using ADB, I opted for a different way. I then downloaded and installed busybox and terminal for android and typed out:

chmod 664 /efs/00000000.authtokcont
    chmod 755 /efs/FactoryApp
    chmod 775 /efs/bluetooth
    chmod 775 /efs/drm
    chmod 666 /efs/gyro_cal_data
    chmod 644 /efs/h2k.dat
    chmod 775 /efs/imei
    chmod 700 /efs/lost+found
    chmod 600 /efs/nv.log
    chmod 700 /efs/nv_data.bin
    chmod 700 /efs/nv_data.bin.md5
    chmod 775 /efs/wifi
    chmod 644 /efs/wv.keys

just as I had done whilst on the computer via adb shell. I got two errors this time, lost and found folder didn't exist and 00000000.authtokcont didn't exist. I then typed reboot, it did. I then went to make a drink when I heard my phone vibrating itself silly. I went back to see that I had recieved three days worth of texts and missed call alerts. Boy, am I happy! And to think, when I rang O2 the other day and spoke to one of their "gurus", their diagnosis was that my sim card may have failed so would send me out a replacement!

Thank you XDA