k0ush recovery for EVO

Search This thread

Koush

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 21, 2007
I have no idea if this works, as I don't have an Evo. And since the root has not been released, I don't have any testers. Once the root is released, I'll fix this, should any problems arise. But, I given the stock recovery image, I was able to create this. It ought to work.

shep211

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 19, 2007
Layton, Ut

pingpongboss

Apr 7, 2010
San Jose
I have no idea if this works, as I don't have an Evo. And since the root has not been released, I don't have any testers. Once the root is released, I'll fix this, should any problems arise. But, I given the stock recovery image, I was able to create this. It ought to work.

koush do you have an Evo? I loved your CyanogenMod port for the Droid!

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G using Tapatalk

-viperboy-

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jun 24, 2007
PA
I have no idea if this works, as I don't have an Evo. And since the root has not been released, I don't have any testers. Once the root is released, I

koush do you have an Evo? I loved your CyanogenMod port for the Droid!

Sent from my HTC Evo 4G using Tapatalk

Wow, you quoted him saying he doesn't have an EVO and you still asked if he had an EVO... no, he doesn't.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Koush

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 21, 2007
Ah, nevermind. I see that the recovery partition is still not writable on the evo. Same half-ish root as the Desire.

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009
Indeed. But you can use the script/push way that desire/etc use, and it should work fine.
as we're throwing out ideas here and i dont get my EVO until tomorrow, i see flash_image pushed over through the EVO-recovery.zip maejrep and toast posted, would that work here?

DDRBoxman

Jun 11, 2009
So I loaded up the root method that just got put up and pushed the recovery image to /system to try to flash it with flash_image but that failed, there is no write access to recovery.

Code:
# flash_image recovery recovery.img
flash_image recovery recovery.img
mtd: erase failure at 0x00000000 (I/O error)
mtd: skipping write block at 0x00000000
[...]
mtd: erase failure at 0x004e0000 (I/O error)
mtd: skipping write block at 0x004e0000
error writing recovery: No space left on device

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009
So I loaded up the root method that just got put up and pushed the recovery image to /system to try to flash it with flash_image but that failed, there is no write access to recovery.

Code:
# flash_image recovery recovery.img
flash_image recovery recovery.img
mtd: skipping write block at 0x00000000
[...]
mtd: skipping write block at 0x004e0000
error writing recovery: No space left on device
thats the error they report indicating NAND protection is still active. guess this confirms, as gathered from the other threads, seems NAND protection only unlocks /system with the current userdebug RUU we have when booted into recovery mode. means no write access to /recovery yet.
thanks for trying!
would it be worth trying to do the exact same flash_image of recovery from normal android mode? probably wont work either...

DDRBoxman

Jun 11, 2009
I put superuser 2.1 on it and tried to flash from adb while booted into android and su wont elevate me.

joeykrim

Jan 9, 2009
I put superuser 2.1 on it and tried to flash from adb while booted into android and su wont elevate me.
not positive how superuser interacts with all this newly modified system so ill throw out some ideas, hopefully something works.
try flash_image from connectbot on the phone and see if su elevates?
try removing superuser temporarily?