Easiest Step-by-Step Tutorial on HOW TO GET ROOTED ANDROID 2.1 ON X8(Newbies!)

Search This thread

HAKA

Jul 27, 2010
Moradabad
Update 1: Thank you all the members for making this thread more simpler.
I will do some more edits as instructed by others to make it more understandable.

As we all know it, this guide is no more "easiest".

First of all, thank you to all the members for the Pre-Rooted ROM's, Tutorials, Ideas etc.

I have just made it simpler for the newbies to understand what the devs are doing to get a rooted-Eclair phone.
It has been discussed many times that the current guides are very difficult for newbies to understand.
So I will tell you step-by-step how to do the stuff.
Though it needs many downloads, bit of thinking, but in the end you will be successful! :)

Make sure to put the phone in USB Debugging Mode everytime.
For that go to -Settings>Applications>Development>USB Debugging(Tick the option)
And maximize the Screen Timeout Limit.
Settings>Sound & Display>Screen Timeout(Set it to 30 minutes).

Update: Many people don't know what "Flashmode" is,
For this you need to unplug the phone from PC, take out phone battery for 5-10 seconds, after that put the battery back, keep holding the Back button and plug the phone back(the notification light will turn Green).

First of all Flash Android 1.6 Link and Root it Link.

Download the files required-
(1) Download the latest Firmware files by propc.
Link 1
Link 2
(2) Download newx8rooted.yaffs.7z Link
(3) Extract newx8rooted.unyaffs.7z to the root of your sdcard(there should be 3 files- (i) newx8rooted.yaffs.img
(ii) busybox
(iii) unyaffs)
(4) Download install.sh.zip(see the attachments)

How to get in the ADB Shell-
(1) First of all we need the ADB files. I have put the files in the folder. See the attachments please.
(2) Extract the files and save them in C: drive.
(3) Now open cmd(Command Prompt).
(4) Type-
Hit Enter.
(5) Now type-
(6) Remember you must be having Rooted Android 1.6 and 4 files(install.sh, newx8rooted.yaffs.img, busybox, unyaffs) in your SD card at this stage.
After this step the command prompt should be something like this-

C:\android>adb shell
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
$
(7) Now type-
**NOW HAVE A LOOK AT PHONE SCREEN, SUPERUSER MUST BE ASKING FOR PERMISSION, CLICK ON "Allow".(And yes, maximize the Screen timeout time for no spoilling.)**

**NOW THERE SHOULD BE A "#" SIGN IN COMMAND PROMPT.
Sometimes the command takes some time to execute so you need to wait for the "#" prompt before typing next command.**

(8) Now type
(9) Now type

Update: Many people are facing the problem saying-
# sh install.sh
sh install.sh
sh: Can't open install.sh
#

For this, you need to take care of few things.
First of all that you don't miss any commands.
Secondly you must have the drivers installed on your PC. If you don't have please see the attachments, and install it via Device Manager.
Thirdly, make sure that the phone is in USB Debugging Mode.
The phone storage should be turned off.
Sometimes if the error repeats itself, it is always advisable to either Restart both PC and device, or try it on another PC.

There should be a lot of line scrolling, Now sit for sometime and relax!

After all this, it should say-
Reboot phone!
Flash 2.1 now, but remove system.sin

Now just Flash Android 2.1 Flasher by Bin4ry works well! and REMEMBER TO REMOVE "system.sin" from the folder of the firmware!!!

Sit back and relax!!
Now just reboot the phone(1st Reboot will take 5-10 mins.).
And you are done! :)
Hope that I am helpful! :)

Edit:Many people don't know what "Root of SD Card is"
This means that the files should be on your SD Card directly, do not put these files in any Folder, simply paste them in you SD Card.
Any suggestions and queries are welcomed. :)

Update 2:
Guys it is really very difficult to know exactly what the problem is. Because it is working for many and not for few, it is hard to know the
exact mistake.
So I advice you people to please repeat the process again, or try it on another PC, if you dont mind that, I am not a pro, I am here just to sort out few problems. :(
I am sorry but i really ain't able to get solution for random problems. :(
Can any other "Senior" help this out?

Special Thanks to-
propc
Bin4ry
a-k-t-w
pullpoff2

You can always appreciate my work by just clicking "Thanks"!
Cheers! :)

Attachments

• android.zip
    220.2 KB · Views: 3,781
  • X8_drivers.zip
    6.1 MB · Views: 16,691
  • install.sh.zip
    581 bytes · Views: 2,650
Last edited:

mariolouis

Jan 10, 2005
Manila
Now that you've put the "$" sign after adb shell, you can also put the "#" sign after su, so they will know when to type again. Sometimes the command takes some time to execute so tell them you need to wait for the "#" prompt before typing next command.

aniket_

Mar 18, 2010
Pune
This guide is great...
But after the last step, flashing 2.1 without system.sin.. My X8 is stuck on "Sony Ericsson" without the logo...

Arkaeris

Nov 29, 2010
Kaunas
I have unmount sd card, I have turn off usb storage but..

error: device not found

C:\android>

propc

Feb 21, 2010
Google Pixel 2
okey I have install update service and reinstall pc companion and download x8 drivers.

$ su
su
# cd /sdcard
cd /sdcard
# sh install.sh
sh install.sh
#

I don't understand where I go wrong.....

check that you had turn off USB storage, check that you copied the files to the root of your sdcard

Tobi@s

Nov 29, 2010
Bavaria
Root of SD-Card means that u only put it into the sdcard into no folder. Just click on the sdcard and copy the file in it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Update 1: Thank you all the members for making this thread more simpler.
    I will do some more edits as instructed by others to make it more understandable.

As we all know it, this guide is no more "easiest".

First of all, thank you to all the members for the Pre-Rooted ROM's, Tutorials, Ideas etc.

I have just made it simpler for the newbies to understand what the devs are doing to get a rooted-Eclair phone.
    It has been discussed many times that the current guides are very difficult for newbies to understand.
    So I will tell you step-by-step how to do the stuff.
    Though it needs many downloads, bit of thinking, but in the end you will be successful! :)

Make sure to put the phone in USB Debugging Mode everytime.
    For that go to -Settings>Applications>Development>USB Debugging(Tick the option)
    And maximize the Screen Timeout Limit.
    Settings>Sound & Display>Screen Timeout(Set it to 30 minutes).

Update: Many people don't know what "Flashmode" is,
    For this you need to unplug the phone from PC, take out phone battery for 5-10 seconds, after that put the battery back, keep holding the Back button and plug the phone back(the notification light will turn Green).

First of all Flash Android 1.6 Link and Root it Link.

Download the files required-
    (1) Download the latest Firmware files by propc.
    Link 1
    Link 2
    (2) Download newx8rooted.yaffs.7z Link
    (3) Extract newx8rooted.unyaffs.7z to the root of your sdcard(there should be 3 files- (i) newx8rooted.yaffs.img
    (ii) busybox
    (iii) unyaffs)
    (4) Download install.sh.zip(see the attachments)

How to get in the ADB Shell-
    (1) First of all we need the ADB files. I have put the files in the folder. See the attachments please.
    (2) Extract the files and save them in C: drive.
    (3) Now open cmd(Command Prompt).
    (4) Type-
    Hit Enter.
    (5) Now type-
    (6) Remember you must be having Rooted Android 1.6 and 4 files(install.sh, newx8rooted.yaffs.img, busybox, unyaffs) in your SD card at this stage.
    After this step the command prompt should be something like this-

$
    (7) Now type-
    **NOW HAVE A LOOK AT PHONE SCREEN, SUPERUSER MUST BE ASKING FOR PERMISSION, CLICK ON "Allow".(And yes, maximize the Screen timeout time for no spoilling.)**

**NOW THERE SHOULD BE A "#" SIGN IN COMMAND PROMPT.
    Sometimes the command takes some time to execute so you need to wait for the "#" prompt before typing next command.**

(8) Now type
    (9) Now type

Update: Many people are facing the problem saying-
    # sh install.sh
    sh install.sh
    #

For this, you need to take care of few things.
    First of all that you don't miss any commands.
    Secondly you must have the drivers installed on your PC. If you don't have please see the attachments, and install it via Device Manager.
    Thirdly, make sure that the phone is in USB Debugging Mode.
    The phone storage should be turned off.
    Sometimes if the error repeats itself, it is always advisable to either Restart both PC and device, or try it on another PC.

There should be a lot of line scrolling, Now sit for sometime and relax!

After all this, it should say-
    Reboot phone!
    Flash 2.1 now, but remove system.sin

Now just Flash Android 2.1 Flasher by Bin4ry works well! and REMEMBER TO REMOVE "system.sin" from the folder of the firmware!!!

Sit back and relax!!
    Now just reboot the phone(1st Reboot will take 5-10 mins.).
    And you are done! :)
    Hope that I am helpful! :)

Edit:Many people don't know what "Root of SD Card is"
    This means that the files should be on your SD Card directly, do not put these files in any Folder, simply paste them in you SD Card.
    Any suggestions and queries are welcomed. :)

Update 2:
    Guys it is really very difficult to know exactly what the problem is. Because it is working for many and not for few, it is hard to know the
    exact mistake.
    So I advice you people to please repeat the process again, or try it on another PC, if you dont mind that, I am not a pro, I am here just to sort out few problems. :(
    I am sorry but i really ain't able to get solution for random problems. :(
    Can any other "Senior" help this out?

Special Thanks to-
    propc
    Bin4ry
    a-k-t-w
    pullpoff2

You can always appreciate my work by just clicking "Thanks"!
    Cheers! :)
    you don't need the Android SDK. ADB shell is already in superoneclick.
    :p I didn't noticed that!! :D
    God! I need to edit it!! :D

Also change it to , Copy and paste the three adb files into the /system32 folder, that way adb shell can be accessed without cding, (makes it even simpler :) )
    Try to install android sdk tool before you use the adb.
    that solved the device not found problem for me.

but i still don´t get the root to work, my phone don´t boot correctly after the 2.1 flash. its stop after the white sony ericsson text and do not continue.
    Well for another reason for rooting is what you just said you needed in froyo. It is called app2sd. Installing/moving apps (including dalvik cache of you want) to sd card. Actually, this is a better solution than froyo "apps sd install" because everything, including apps that don't normally install to sd card via froyo can be done here.

In my phone's 2.1 setup now, I don't really think I need froyo anymore.