Increase bluetooth A2DP quality (SBC -> MP3)

Search This thread

g40q90

Sep 6, 2011
Hello XDA!

Hi have a Galaxy S2, I can found only a bad thing in it: bluetooth audio quality.

I have done some search and I'm sure that GS2 (like most other smartphones) uses SBC codec to send data over bluetooth.

The problem with SBC is that it reconvert your compressed files, such as MP3 or AAC, before sent them over bluetooth, so the final quality is terrible.

You can improve a little the quality increase the bitpool (use an highest bitrate for the conversion) but sound quality will never reach Directly MP3 transfer without conversion, for example connecting an usb stick to your stereo.

But there are a lot of discussion about ad2p sound quality on xda, so I think that you already know that.

I think that create mp3 codec to work with GS2 is hard and difficult, but I have found that Blueplayer for Windows mobile and Motorola with Droid X/ Droid 2 use A2DP Mp3 direct stream, in the specific motorola enabling the option "enhanced stereo" in bluetooth menu (absent in SGS2):
enhanced%252520stereo%252520bluetooth.jpg

So my question is: is possible to make a port of blueplayer or motorola bluetooth stack for Samsung Galaxy S2? I think this is the only way to improve bad bluetooth audio quality on GS2. :)

Last edited:

gauner1986

Dec 14, 2008
Hamburg
Acutally it should be as easy as editing a config file.. (/system/etc/bluetooth/audio.conf) like this:

Code:
[A2DP]
SBCSources=0
MPEG12Sources=1

Reactions: LGXX

Zanr Zij

Nov 28, 2010
Halong Bay
www.maychuchuyendung.vn
With my Plantronic Voyager Pro Plus ( Pro+ ), bluetooth audio quality is quite good ( although only 1 ear ). When change to connect Pro+ with Moto Atrix 4G, I got bad experience.

But with wired good brand/quality 3.5" headphone, Atrix do better in quality :)

g40q90

Sep 6, 2011
With my Plantronic Voyager Pro Plus ( Pro+ ), bluetooth audio quality is quite good ( although only 1 ear ). When change to connect Pro+ with Moto Atrix 4G, I got bad experience.

Jack audio on galaxy s2 is really bad in my experience, and usb output is only available in mass storage mode... Not really useful. So I'm trying to get better audio quality from bluetooth...there is also car dock from Samsung with 3.5" output, but I think that the final quality is like direct 3.5" output.. Very bad things from Samsung.

Reactions: chuckiler

tommo123

May 28, 2010
Liverpool
yea i don' get the audio complaints. i'm happy with the sound on my sgs2. used various BT earphones (sony, motorolla, nokia and plantronics and all good)

adioph

May 12, 2005
GS2 audio quality via bluetooth is way too far differrent compared to Xperia X8. X8 audio quality via bluetooth is good, while GS2 is not. :-(

beppez82

Jul 16, 2010
Padua
I'm OK with the quality of the Voyager pro+, but in car I need to increase the vol., there's anyway to increase the conversation volume of the BT headphones?

Sended from my SGS2

Zanr Zij

Nov 28, 2010
Halong Bay
www.maychuchuyendung.vn
I'm OK with the quality of the Voyager pro+, but in car I need to increase the vol., there's anyway to increase the conversation volume of the BT headphones?

Sended from my SGS2

Do in in ServiceMode:

1. Dial on Dialer ( Phone.apk not 3rd Dialer like DialerOne )

*#*#197328640#*#*

2. Select [5]Audio

3. Select [1] NB ( Voice Call )

4. Select [4] Bluetooth

:)

g40q90

Sep 6, 2011
GS2 audio quality via bluetooth is way too far differrent compared to Xperia X8. X8 audio quality via bluetooth is good, while GS2 is not. :-(

You can simply use DSP manager or Volume+ apps to increase BT volume...google it ;)

Return IT

Is teorically possible to change Samsung AOSP to Google AOSP? maybe with the upcoming Nexus Prime?

Last edited:

mixailo

Apr 1, 2010
Belgrade
I had lousy bluetooth a2dp quality on stereo jabra 3030. The only thing that fixed it was switching to CyanogenMod, since it uses AOSP bluetooth stack instead of Samsungs.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sended from my SGS2

Do in in ServiceMode:

1. Dial on Dialer ( Phone.apk not 3rd Dialer like DialerOne )

*#*#197328640#*#*

2. Select [5]Audio

3. Select [1] NB ( Voice Call )

4. Select [4] Bluetooth

:)
    Acutally it should be as easy as editing a config file.. (/system/etc/bluetooth/audio.conf) like this:

Code:
    [A2DP]
    SBCSources=0
    MPEG12Sources=1

Jack audio on galaxy s2 is really bad in my experience, and usb output is only available in mass storage mode... Not really useful. So I'm trying to get better audio quality from bluetooth...there is also car dock from Samsung with 3.5" output, but I think that the final quality is like direct 3.5" output.. Very bad things from Samsung.
    Thanks, but what I have to touch to increase audio in ear volume?

Sended from my SGS2

Change value of this : SRC Speech RX Volume

Try some numbers higher than you see.
    This helped me a problem with A2DP stereo:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1293239&highlight=music+ice.
    I use Omega rom 2.0 (best rom). I believe it will help you.