S5 octa is bad than snapdragon 801 ?

Search This thread

Mandeep148

May 10, 2012
Ludhiana
As always Snapdragon version never available in India officially. Only octa is available.
Is octa one not good enough than snapdragon ? Is that waste of money to buy?
Please share your views.

Sent from my Micromax A74 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: Andro Boy

drakester09

Jan 10, 2012
As always Snapdragon version never available in India officially. Only octa is available.
Please share your views.

No.

It outperforms Snapdragon in benchmarks CPU-wise. In GPU, Adreno has more raw speed than Mali though.

It also comes with a higher Linux kernel version for all that it matters, it implements global task scheduling which in theory is better compared to hotplug that is used for Krait. The big.LITTLE architecture isn't a bad idea but the S4 Exynos that showcased it had it wrong... it was not fully functional thanks to a hardware issue.

Battery is in the same ballpark. I get 6-7 hrs of screen on time.

You miss a better modem-SoC integration since the Intel modem in the G900H uses more power compared to the Qcom.

There are only 4 disadvantages vs the Snapdragon:
- Lower GPU performance in benchmarks, in game it's not perceptible.
- More power consumption from modem it seems, blame Intel. It hasn't been a problem for me so far and I call a lot - the battery is good enough.
- No LTE. Major point for anyone living in LTE-enabled countries.
- No custom ROM/Kernel development yet. Thanks to Samsung's previous behavior they alienated devs for Exynos SoCs... don't bet on getting a custom ROM or kernel anytime soon.

Beware of people telling you that Snapdragon is better just because Exynos doesn't has LTE, in most part they both have their strong points and weak points.
Snapdragon is a more proven, supported chipset. Exynos is more bleeding edge but much less supported. It doesn't helps that it's Samsung-only and it's region limited.

Mandeep148

May 10, 2012
Ludhiana
No.

It outperforms Snapdragon in benchmarks CPU-wise. In GPU, Adreno has more raw speed than Mali though.

It also comes with a higher Linux kernel version for all that it matters, it implements global task scheduling which in theory is better compared to hotplug that is used for Krait. The big.LITTLE architecture isn't a bad idea but the S4 Exynos that showcased it had it wrong... it was not fully functional thanks to a hardware issue.

You miss a better modem-SoC integration since the Intel modem in the G900H uses more power compared to the Qcom.

- More power consumption from modem it seems, blame Intel. It hasn't been a problem for me so far and I call a lot - the battery is good enough.
- No custom ROM/Kernel development yet. Thanks to Samsung's previous behavior they alienated devs for Exynos SoCs... don't bet on getting a custom ROM or kernel anytime soon.

Beware of people telling you that Snapdragon is better just because Exynos doesn't has LTE, in most part they both have their strong points and weak points.
Snapdragon is a more proven, supported chipset. Exynos is more bleeding edge but much less supported. It doesn't helps that it's Samsung-only and it's region limited.

thanx for useful info bro,
so it have lower GPU score, is that also can differentiate or noticeable in UI side, i mean i am going to buy s5 only because of software and its RICH Genius features, i dont feel much about its design, and its expensive, i just want lag free device, i know some times lags are common in android, but thats fiar, due to exynos i will feel lag than snap ?
i hope you understand. :(

Last edited:

drakester09

Jan 10, 2012
so it have lower GPU score, is that also can differentiate or noticeable in UI side, i mean i am going to buy s5 only because of software and its RICH Genius features, i dont feel much about its design, and its expensive, i just want lag free device, i know some times lags are common in android, but thats fiar, due to exynos i will feel lag than snap ?

In theory the Exynos variant does not have hotplug lag, it should have been smoother just from that.

The GPU is powerful enough to render the UI with zero problems, the only places where you'll see a difference is in games with OpenGL ES 3.0, it's not noticeable though. Despite the GPU being slightly slower I get 38,000+ in Antutu constantly (it uses ES 2.0 for the graphics test).

In practice, well, it's Touchwiz, it lags... :laugh: it's something you end up accepting because of the extra features and benefits that the software gives you. Coming from a Nexus 5 it's very obvious that there are parts where the software is unoptimized and it shouldn't lag at all... but it does.
Touchwiz is just heavier than stock, it's not the most optimized software in the world and no scripts will remedy that (we would need smali or xposed edits...).

I'd recommend you to visit a carrier store or somewhere that has a device where you can test games or benchmarks and see it.

And if you *really* need a lagless device, get anything that doesn't has Touchwiz... Nexus 5 is extremely smooth.

Mandeep148

May 10, 2012
Ludhiana
In theory the Exynos variant does not have hotplug lag, it should have been smoother just from that.

The GPU is powerful enough to render the UI with zero problems, the only places where you'll see a difference is in games with OpenGL ES 3.0, it's not noticeable though. Despite the GPU being slightly slower I get 38,000+ in Antutu constantly (it uses ES 2.0 for the graphics test).

In practice, well, it's Touchwiz, it lags... :laugh: it's something you end up accepting because of the extra features and benefits that the software gives you. Coming from a Nexus 5 it's very obvious that there are parts where the software is unoptimized and it shouldn't lag at all... but it does.
Touchwiz is just heavier than stock, it's not the most optimized software in the world and no scripts will remedy that (we would need smali or xposed edits...).

I'd recommend you to visit a carrier store or somewhere that has a device where you can test games or benchmarks and see it.

And if you *really* need a lagless device, get anything that doesn't has Touchwiz... Nexus 5 is extremely smooth.

ah you really helped me. :good: and sorry for disturbing, actually i like samsung touchwiz, yea nexus 5 is wow phone in terms of UI smoothness and good stocky framework works well. but in samsung i like crowdyness and colourfull and nature, i never get bor :)
i hope exynos s5 will not disappoint me :)
thanks again bro ..

drakester09

Jan 10, 2012
ah you really helped me. :good: and sorry for disturbing, actually i like samsung touchwiz, yea nexus 5 is wow phone in terms of UI smoothness and good stocky framework works well. but in samsung i like crowdyness and colourfull and nature, i never get bor :)
thanks again bro ..

If you have used a Samsung phone in the past you will be accustomed to the lag and you'll enjoy the much improved Touchwiz.

I really hated it on the S3/N2, slightly disliked it on the S4/N3 but ended up liking the S5 version :)

Battery life and camera are really good.

Performance wise no games should lag or be a problem (only Xcom has managed to drop frames but it's the most demanding game right now).

Hope you enjoy your phone. :)

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk

DP1980

May 28, 2014
First i bought the H version of the device. Was not happy with the lack of support from devs. Now i own the F version, and already have the wide range of custom FW available. So if you are the flashing geek, than definitely stick to the Snap device

Reactions: Mandeep148

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Please share your views.

No.

thanks again bro ..

If you have used a Samsung phone in the past you will be accustomed to the lag and you'll enjoy the much improved Touchwiz.

I really hated it on the S3/N2, slightly disliked it on the S4/N3 but ended up liking the S5 version :)

Battery life and camera are really good.

Performance wise no games should lag or be a problem (only Xcom has managed to drop frames but it's the most demanding game right now).

Hope you enjoy your phone. :)

Sent from my SM-G900H using Tapatalk
    Please share your views.

First i bought the H version of the device. Was not happy with the lack of support from devs. Now i own the F version, and already have the wide range of custom FW available. So if you are the flashing geek, than definitely stick to the Snap device