Matte finish prone to wearing off??

Search This thread

vinod.20r

Jun 16, 2013
Mumbai
I had a Sony Xperia phone before switching to Nexus 5.. It had a matte finish the same as the one on Nexus 5.. After 8 months of use the matte finish started wearing off the corners and became glossy (looks really bad). I want to use the phone without a case but this still worries me.. Any chances of the matte finish wearing off on this phone too? Any similar experiences?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using xda app-developers app

Smallsmx3

Jul 28, 2010
I'm sure that is a possibility, nothing lasts forever.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

nseriessaga

Dec 16, 2008
Obviously the phone hasnt been out long, so its hard to say for sure... but from my current time spent with the black version, I can say quality of the matte is very high. Im pretty picky about finger prints so i wipe my phone with my t-shirt, dress shirt, or antibacterial wipes several times throughout the day. I see zero signs of any type of wear. Also, another area of the matte housing which gives me real confidence in its quality is by the micro usb hole. At night I plug in my charger sometimes carelessly since there's no light, the first couple times I was worried i left marks on it so i would check the next morning, but it still looks new. Now i dont even worry. I've only dropped it once, nothing major, but i dropped it in my car between the seat and center console, and it got caught in between the metal rail and carpeting. I couldnt pull it out so i had no choice but to slide it all the way to one edge of the rail (LOL) to grab it from the back. But still to this day my N5 looks like new out the boc.

I can confidently say that the matte will probably hardly wear under good care/hands, especially when most people dont keep there phones for more than a year or 2 these days. If it were used for 5+ years, or not taken care of well, it would be a different story.

Reactions: vinod.20r

Phawkes

Mar 29, 2008
Hate to revive an old post but has anyone been experiencing this? I'm starting to notice it with my Red Nexus 5 and I've only had it for a couple of weeks. I'm pretty disappointed with how quickly it is happening to mine. Do you guys think its a defect?

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
Hate to revive an old post but has anyone been experiencing this? I'm starting to notice it with my Red Nexus 5 and I've only had it for a couple of weeks. I'm pretty disappointed with how quickly it is happening to mine. Do you guys think its a defect?

No, it's happening to mine as well.

r0cky0790

Oct 1, 2010
Chicago
Throw your nexus in a quick cover case. Very slim, opening cover wakes the phone, and nice feel. 15 dollars on caseswill.com.

"Cataclysm + ElementalX + Dalvik/Bionic Patches + Exposed + Gravity Box & Candy shop Mods + DPI 440 + Apex Launcher w/ Morena Icons + Jishnu's Camera Mod/LG G2 Camera Port + Latest GPU Drivers + -75 UV Across The Board + 4 OC Cores @ 2.226 GHz + TWRP" My Nexus Is The ?,┌П┐[◣_◢]┌П┐!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Obviously the phone hasnt been out long, so its hard to say for sure... but from my current time spent with the black version, I can say quality of the matte is very high. Im pretty picky about finger prints so i wipe my phone with my t-shirt, dress shirt, or antibacterial wipes several times throughout the day. I see zero signs of any type of wear. Also, another area of the matte housing which gives me real confidence in its quality is by the micro usb hole. At night I plug in my charger sometimes carelessly since there's no light, the first couple times I was worried i left marks on it so i would check the next morning, but it still looks new. Now i dont even worry. I've only dropped it once, nothing major, but i dropped it in my car between the seat and center console, and it got caught in between the metal rail and carpeting. I couldnt pull it out so i had no choice but to slide it all the way to one edge of the rail (LOL) to grab it from the back. But still to this day my N5 looks like new out the boc.

I can confidently say that the matte will probably hardly wear under good care/hands, especially when most people dont keep there phones for more than a year or 2 these days. If it were used for 5+ years, or not taken care of well, it would be a different story.