[Q&A] Mounts2SD - Storage & Memory Management

Search This thread

acestars

Mar 31, 2011
int2ext does not use init.d, but injects itself into /system/etc/recovery-install.sh (or something like that). So, if this script is the only one working, you are properly missing init.d support.

Take a look at this

Don't use RMount, it will be removed very soon as it is the cause of many problems.

Hmm.. ok then.

Since i use mounts2sd my device booting longer than before i use. Logcat shows

Code:
 Application package com.daingo.news.indonesia already installed. Skipping duplicate.
 /sd-ext/app/com.facebook.katana-1.apk changed; collecting certs
 Application package com.facebook.katana already installed. Skipping duplicate.
 /sd-ext/app/com.speedsoftware.sqleditor-2.apk changed; collecting certs
 Application package com.speedsoftware.sqleditor already installed. Skipping duplicate.
 /sd-ext/app/uk.co.nickfines.RealCalcPlus-1.apk changed; collecting certs 
 Application package uk.co.nickfines.RealCalcPlus already installed. Skipping duplicate.
 /sd-ext/app/com.googlecode.rhinoforandroid-1.apk changed; collecting certs
 Application package com.googlecode.rhinoforandroid already installed. Skipping duplicate.
 /sd-ext/app/je.fit.pro-1.apk changed; collecting certs
 ...still many more.

Happened to all my installed apps.

dk_zero-cool

Nov 6, 2010
Horsens
Hmm.. ok then.

Since i use mounts2sd my device booting longer than before i use. Logcat shows

Code:
 Application package com.daingo.news.indonesia already installed. Skipping duplicate.
 /sd-ext/app/com.facebook.katana-1.apk changed; collecting certs
 Application package com.facebook.katana already installed. Skipping duplicate.
 /sd-ext/app/com.speedsoftware.sqleditor-2.apk changed; collecting certs
 Application package com.speedsoftware.sqleditor already installed. Skipping duplicate.
 /sd-ext/app/uk.co.nickfines.RealCalcPlus-1.apk changed; collecting certs 
 Application package uk.co.nickfines.RealCalcPlus already installed. Skipping duplicate.
 /sd-ext/app/com.googlecode.rhinoforandroid-1.apk changed; collecting certs
 Application package com.googlecode.rhinoforandroid already installed. Skipping duplicate.
 /sd-ext/app/je.fit.pro-1.apk changed; collecting certs
 ...still many more.
Happened to all my installed apps.

Hmm, I mistook int2ext for link2sd.

If your ROM uses int2ext, then you can forget about getting any other sd-ext script working. int2ext is integrated into the boot.img (kernel) and cannot be removed without flashing a different kernel that comes without it (Unless that is called Int2sd). Really can't keep up with all the other sd-ext scripts.

Your best option is to do a backup, do a clean install (Wipe all data and sd-ext) and start from scratch.

acestars

Mar 31, 2011
Hmm, I mistook int2ext for link2sd.

If your ROM uses int2ext, then you can forget about getting any other sd-ext script working. int2ext is integrated into the boot.img (kernel) and cannot be removed without flashing a different kernel that comes without it (Unless that is called Int2sd). Really can't keep up with all the other sd-ext scripts.

Your best option is to do a backup, do a clean install (Wipe all data and sd-ext) and start from scratch.

I am only use mounts2sd there is no other sd-ext scripts. if i use reverse mount the booting is normal. the logcat i posted before not occurred.

dk_zero-cool

Nov 6, 2010
Horsens
I am only use mounts2sd there is no other sd-ext scripts. if i use reverse mount the booting is normal. the logcat i posted before not occurred.

Well I can't tell you what the problem is. According to the log, there are duplicate applications installed. The only way that can even be a possibility, is if they are placed with different names in the app folder. M2SD does not rename packages when moving them, so I cannot tell you why.

siavash2death

Apr 16, 2011
I'm sorry, but I didn't know what should I do with this injector tool!

Sent from my HTC Desire using xda app-developers app

Daniel D.

Apr 19, 2012
Downloaded the new beta script, installed it, was "upset" about the unfinished "information page" :D, rebooted and screamed out loud because it worked and there was no performance loss in the first minutes I used the phone. Nice work! :victory:

Reactions: ERPal

siavash2death

Apr 16, 2011
Tried. It says that can't copy meta-inf/.../update-binary. Installation aborted!

Sent from my HTC Desire using xda app-developers app

dk_zero-cool

Nov 6, 2010
Horsens
Downloaded the new beta script, installed it, was "upset" about the unfinished "information page" :D, rebooted and screamed out loud because it worked and there was no performance loss in the first minutes I used the phone. Nice work! :victory:

Glad to here. And don't worry, the rest is on it's way. Have just finished the whole configure screen, and fixed the last remaining known issues. Just need the small log viewer, some extra log entries in the script to catch some ongoing issues, and then it should be ready for real beta testing with all features available.

Reactions: ERPal and Daniel D.

Daniel D.

Apr 19, 2012
No problem, take your time. I was afraid to test it again because 2.2.0 didn't work, but 3.0 is a big success. My ArcS lacks of internal memory and even with an only 512 MB big sd-ext partition I'm happy to have more space than before. Thanks!

Daniel D.

Apr 19, 2012
Just perfect. Thanks again! Updating the start script worked without problems.

What is the difference between the internal and external readahead? SuperCharger for example activates a sdcard cache, too. I assume it's the external one. If I enable it through SC, will the script recognize the size?
What will decrease the speed? Moving data/data to sd-ext? Cache?

It would be great if you could help me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Mounts2SD - Storage & Memory Management

The Opening Post (OP) has been moved to a new DevDB Section

This Thread has been assigned as an Q&A.
    You should see a new pane above where you can navigate this project.
    About dalvik-cache? It remains in phone memory?

dalvik-cache remains, so does all of the app related data. Only the APK's is moved.

Hi I cant understand How to use it ! any guide ?!

First of all you need a custom rom. If you have a stock rom it will not work since you need a rom that will allow custom scripts during boot.

You will also need to know how to use ADB (An android tool for communicating with your phone. It is used to enter the android shell and also to transfer files to and from the phone, among other things).

And last, you will need at least 2 or 3 partitions on your sdcard (Otherwise it's a waste of time, although the script is build to adapt for these scenarios). One as a regular fat32 sdcard partition, one for the sd-ext and one for the cache. (Use ext2 for the last two. ext3 will eat your card to fast)

Here is the steps (You need to have ADB working on your computer).

1. Copy/Paste the script content into a file editor and safe the file with the name "99mounts2sd"
    2. Plug your phone to your computer using a usb cable (Select charge only on your phone))
    3. Open a terminal on your computer (In windows use "run" and type "cmd")
    4. Type in shell: "adb shell mount -o remount,rw /system"
    5. Type in shell: "adb push <path to script> /system/etc/init.d/"
    6. Type in shell: "adb shell chmod a+x /system/etc/init.d/99mounts2sd"
    7. Reboot your phone

The first time you boot your phone using the script it will take some time, because the script needs to copy all of your APK's from internal storage to the sd-ext partition.
    Within a week or so, I will release a new major update of Mounts2SD, which will contain

1. New Re-written script with additional new option
      1. Seperate option for app libraries (Android 4.x)
      2. New option to move /data/media (The new type of internal sdcard used on Samsung among others)
      3. Ability to enable ZRAM
      4. Ability to set preferred scheduler on external and internal MMC
      5. Ability to also set readahead on internal MMC
      6. Ability to set preferred storage threshold, or disable it (Instead of hard coded value)
      7. The finalising part has been added to a sub-process which is started by the app itself. This is no longer depended on the app to execute it after boot
      8. Default values will be configured based on the device and it's abilities
      9. And more....
    2. New Re-written app
      1. Live overview (No more pre-defined onboot status properties)
      2. New layout
        1. 3 different layout's for small phones screens, normal phone screens and tablet screens (And of cause different landscape/portrait layouts for each of them)
      3. Only allow the owner to control the script (Android 4.2 multi-user)
      4. New Re-written RootFW (Spazedog Root Framework)
      5. New and better extended AsyncTask for background loading
      6. Overview and Configure will now adapt to the abilities available on the device (For an example, SWAP will not be displayed at all on devices without SWAP suppport)
      7. And more...

However, before this is finished, I would like it very much if someone could provide me with a version of /system/etc/recovery.sh after Link2SD has added whatever content it adds to this file, so that I can update the auto sd-ext deletion script to better remove Link2SD from a device. I have tried installing Link2SD on two of my test devices, but on neither was anything added to this file. So for now I have just update the deletion script to also include the Link2SD app, which should take care of most of the problems when migrating from this.
    Test Package Available

I have added a test package to the OP under the category "Testing Downloads" containing a preview of the upcoming version. This package is NOT a recovery package. It is just an archive containing the app and the script, you will have to manually copy the script to the init.d location (Not yet implemented in the app) and you will have to manually configure the script using the /data/property/m2sd.* files (also, not yet implemented in the app). There are two APK's in the package which uses two different themes (will be changeable in the app when it is done).

The script should be finished, I have used it myself for the past month, but some more test devices would not hurt. The app however still have some work to be done. The overview is working fine, but I have yet to add some persistent storage for the configurations, so there will be a lot of loading each time you open it. Also there is still no configurations, no log viewer and no app settings for script installation, theme changer and so fourth.

This is only meant for some early testing, mostly to test the script. It is not a finished product, so don't provide bug reports about missing app features, extensive app loading, missing Aroma installer and so on. All will be available soon. At this point I am only interested in script issues and possible issues with the app overview screen.

The Script

• Move Applications, Application Data, Application Libraries, Dalvik-cache and Data Media (Internal Storage) to sd-ext
    • Supports any file system type supported by the kernel
    • Handles Unix Lost+Found folder content to avoid having it take up to much disk usage
    • Supports SWAP and ZRAM (If kernel supports it)
    • Move the main cache partition to data or sd-ext, depending on available space
    • Change storage threshold to minimize the Android low storage market issue
    • Set Readahead and Scheduler for both internal and external MMC
    • Sets optimized mount parameters on the internal partitions
    • Safe-mode and new alternative work-around for service implemented init.d ROM's
    • Compares content with available disk space before moving content around to avoid corrupted data
    • More than a half dozen mount operations to ensure successful sd-ext mount, despite possible issues
    • File system check and repair
    • Enable/Disable ext4 journal
    • Supports storing system applications on /data and /sd-ext
    • A large number of different safe guards to avoid all kinds of thinkable issues
    • Fully adapts to different shell environments
    • 100% functional programming structure (Much better code overview)
    • Properly more...

The APP

• Fully working live overview (No more comparing static status properties)
    • Uses my TaskManager project (Handles background work much better)
    • Uses my latest RootFW from the development branch
    • Contains 5 different tab layouts which will be used depending on screen size and rotation
    • Contains both a light and dark theme
    New release is out, and Play Store is finally updated as well. Just missing the recovery package, which I will have ready during the weekend.

One notice about this release.
    I have added an additional tab entry with the feature of converting apps into system apps. This feature is a paid one, as this seamed like a good way of adding some donations. And because this is only more or less meant as a donation, the downloads on XDA is fully unlocked. Just note that if you install or update from Play Store, you will get a locked version without this additional feature.

Also, the current feature is only a small start. I am going to add more individual application features to this tab.