Getting Nexus S to mount on Linux

Search This thread

tycruickshank

Dec 28, 2011
Irvine
I just recently installed Arch Linux with KDE as the GUI and I can't for the life of me figure out how to mount my Nexus S. It doesn't show up in /media so I don't know how on earth I can mount it. I've tried in CWM with mount USB and still nothing shows up anywhere on my system. Prior to Arch I was running OS X (10.7) and it was mounting fine. Obviously very different OS and Arch is a lot more complicated to use. I've spent several hours trying to figure out how to mount it but I can't find anything that solves it. Maybe anybody out there using linux could give me a hand?

Harbb

Dec 20, 2011
Sydney
Arch is best ;) Good choice.

Easiest way is to mount it manually. First you'll have to find out which device it is. Plenty of ways to do this, using "fdisk -l" in terminal, gparted, etc. It will be something like "/dev/sdc1". Once you know this, you need to create a folder to mount it. Something like:
mkdir /media/nexus

Now, you need to mount it (after you've chosen to mount on the phone). To do this:
mount -t auto /dev/sdc1 /media/nexus

auto is the file system, you can type fat32 also but it can figure it out. Then the disk location, then where to mount.

You may need root permissions or changes to the sudoers file to do these. Type "man mount" or "man command" for just about every commands manual. I'm on the phone so I can't write up anything much better than that.

Also, the arch Linux wiki is an invaluable resource, make the most of it.

tycruickshank

Dec 28, 2011
Irvine

Easiest way is to mount it manually. First you'll have to find out which device it is. Plenty of ways to do this, using "fdisk -l" in terminal, gparted, etc. It will be something like "/dev/sdc1". Once you know this, you need to create a folder to mount it. Something like:
mkdir /media/nexus

Now, you need to mount it (after you've chosen to mount on the phone). To do this:

auto is the file system, you can type fat32 also but it can figure it out. Then the disk location, then where to mount.

You may need root permissions or changes to the sudoers file to do these. Type "man mount" or "man command" for just about every commands manual. I'm on the phone so I can't write up anything much better than that.

Thanks very much for your help. I'll work on this later tonight since I have a lot of school work I need to get done now. Oh yeah you say to mount the device on the computer after pressing mount on the phone but that dialog never actually shows up when I plug the phone in. The phone doesn't recognize it's being plugged into a computer it just shows that it's charging. The arch wiki is definitely a great place for all things arch. Best documentation for any operating system I think I've ever seen.

Harbb

Dec 20, 2011
Sydney
Try in recovery first if it doesn't show up in Android. If it still doesn't show up I'll try to break my arch and fix it, whether its in android or cwm.

Reactions: tycruickshank

Si_NZ

Jan 6, 2011
Auckland
Thanks very much for your help. I'll work on this later tonight since I have a lot of school work I need to get done now. Oh yeah you say to mount the device on the computer after pressing mount on the phone but that dialog never actually shows up when I plug the phone in. The phone doesn't recognize it's being plugged into a computer it just shows that it's charging. The arch wiki is definitely a great place for all things arch. Best documentation for any operating system I think I've ever seen.

I've experienced this before as well. It turned out that I had a dodgy cable that's just not compatible with my NS for some reason.

If you want a pop on your KDE desktop when you enable UMS mode on your phone, make sure you udev is added to the daemon list in /etc/rc.conf. Then, you can either reboot or do /etc/rc.d/udev start and restart KDE again.

tycruickshank

Dec 28, 2011
Irvine
I've tried everything that you guys have said and still no luck. Its not showing up anywhere. Not in fdisk -l, I tried lsusb, looked in /dev/disk and it wasn't there. Nothing was pointing to a device being connected. I checked the everything.log file as well. Last photo is the everything.log and of course these were all taken with my phone connected to my computer. I tried multiple different USB cables too.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1335249730127.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1335249730127.jpg
    197.8 KB · Views: 77
  • uploadfromtaptalk1335249743020.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1335249743020.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 63
  • uploadfromtaptalk1335249758086.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1335249758086.jpg
    220.3 KB · Views: 60
  • uploadfromtaptalk1335249777477.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1335249777477.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 61

lithid-cm

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 1, 2010
Cleveland
Unplug the USB. Then plug it back in then immediately run lsusb. If you dont see the device should be /dev/sdb1 should be the device according to your current fstab.

If it does not show in /dev/ or lsusb you have a bad cable.
Sent from my Nexus S 4G using xda premium

tycruickshank

Dec 28, 2011
Irvine
Well this morning it decided to work. I had turned my computer off last night and I tried it this morning with the same cable and it decided to work. I hope it's not going to be intermittent but seems to be working for now. Thanks everybody for all the help!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

mkdir /media/nexus

Try in recovery first if it doesn't show up in Android. If it still doesn't show up I'll try to break my arch and fix it, whether its in android or cwm.

I've experienced this before as well. It turned out that I had a dodgy cable that's just not compatible with my NS for some reason.

If you want a pop on your KDE desktop when you enable UMS mode on your phone, make sure you udev is added to the daemon list in /etc/rc.conf. Then, you can either reboot or do /etc/rc.d/udev start and restart KDE again.
    Unplug the USB. Then plug it back in then immediately run lsusb. If you dont see the device should be /dev/sdb1 should be the device according to your current fstab.

If it does not show in /dev/ or lsusb you have a bad cable.
    Sent from my Nexus S 4G using xda premium