[Guide] root and unbrick [UPDATED 6/14/2013]

Search This thread

psouza4

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 26, 2009
Meridian, ID
www.PeterSouza.com
This is an updated (and short) version of my guide for rooting and/or unbricking your DROID 3. This method works on Motorola phones running Android OS 2.3.4 or earlier. If you have a version of MotoBlur/Android on your DROID 3 that isn't compatible with this version, you can use the unbrick method to return your DROID 3 to MotoBlur 5.6.890 Verizon OTA first.

All instructions and downloads are linked from my website at:
www.psouza4.com/DROID3

UPDATE 9/1/2011 1.03: completely re-written, includes one-click root and unroot for practically all Motorola Gingerbread devices, /system/app fix & restore, and ADB temp root. DROID 3 fixes work for build 5.5.959 (stock) and 5.6.890 (late August OTA update).

UPDATE 9/8/2011 1.05: lots of logic testing for fixing bad root attempts/root carry-over's for DROID X, DROID 2 Global, and other devices. Some messages were made clearer, and unrooting is now open to other devices (/system/app restore optional).

UPDATE 7/8/2012 1.08: new links for the system restore features

UPDATE 6/14/2013 1.09: guide re-written, files re-uploaded, everything should be working again (I removed /system/app restore feature since it wasn't reliable and now unnecessary with unbrick/restore methods)

Last edited:

nosaturn

Apr 7, 2008
Tacoma
Thanks! That was dead easy and i'm happy that i still have root after rebooting a couple of times.
I assume that if i do a factory wipe, I will have to use this root method again, right?

Reactions: 2manytoys

psouza4

Feb 26, 2009
Meridian, ID
www.PeterSouza.com
Thanks! That was dead easy and i'm happy that i still have root after rebooting a couple of times.
I assume that if i do a factory wipe, I will have to use this root method again, right?
No, you will lose superuser.apk which can be re-installed from the market as it is wiped when the /data partition is formatted, but su and busybox are installed in /system/xbin and will not be removed during a factory reset, so it will survive a factory reset (but you will just need to reinstall superuser).

NyghtGT

Aug 25, 2010
Augusta
www.munkibizness.com
So freaking stoked to try this tomorrow.

My Droid 3 is in Tennessee and i'm too damn hyped...i've contemplated driving to go get it, DAMN!

@psouza4, is this a script made by you? I make websites and fancy stuff like that and i'm steadily compiling all my information on the Evo into web format and would be interested in including this method with my Droid 3 page in the works at your request.

psouza4

Feb 26, 2009
Meridian, ID
www.PeterSouza.com
So freaking stoked to try this tomorrow.

My Droid 3 is in Tennessee and i'm too damn hyped...i've contemplated driving to go get it, DAMN!

@psouza4, is this a script made by you? I make websites and fancy stuff like that and i'm steadily compiling all my information on the Evo into web format and would be interested in including this method with my Droid 3 page in the works at your request.
Yes it is (but don't credit me for finding the exploit, I'm just automating it). :)

Reactions: wuwtk

jediman

Oct 28, 2010
Hey souza quick Q for you.
Does your one click modify the build.prop ?
I saw it modified something during the process but blanked out :)

---
Edit: nevermind, it was local.prop

Last edited:

djrajir

Oct 5, 2009
Awesome work psouza4!

BTW (DISCLAIMER : THIS IS OFF TOPIC) are you the same guy that made Media center master?

dco717

Nov 29, 2010
bakersfield
Restoring apps arent working to tell the truth im stuck at saving it to a restore folder

Sent from my DROID3 using XDA App

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    This is an updated (and short) version of my guide for rooting and/or unbricking your DROID 3. This method works on Motorola phones running Android OS 2.3.4 or earlier. If you have a version of MotoBlur/Android on your DROID 3 that isn't compatible with this version, you can use the unbrick method to return your DROID 3 to MotoBlur 5.6.890 Verizon OTA first.

All instructions and downloads are linked from my website at:
    www.psouza4.com/DROID3

UPDATE 9/1/2011 1.03: completely re-written, includes one-click root and unroot for practically all Motorola Gingerbread devices, /system/app fix & restore, and ADB temp root. DROID 3 fixes work for build 5.5.959 (stock) and 5.6.890 (late August OTA update).

UPDATE 9/8/2011 1.05: lots of logic testing for fixing bad root attempts/root carry-over's for DROID X, DROID 2 Global, and other devices. Some messages were made clearer, and unrooting is now open to other devices (/system/app restore optional).

UPDATE 7/8/2012 1.08: new links for the system restore features

UPDATE 6/14/2013 1.09: guide re-written, files re-uploaded, everything should be working again (I removed /system/app restore feature since it wasn't reliable and now unnecessary with unbrick/restore methods)
    The URL on the first post is no longer valid, does anyone know of working root software for Droid 3?

Yes, Dan Rosenberg's Motofail works.

http://vulnfactory.org/blog/2012/02/11/rooting-the-droid-4-a-failed-bounty-experiment/
    just use motofail root
    link in my list
    sd_shadow's [Collection] of Links for: Droid 3 (XT862)

Sent from my XT862 using Tapatalk 2
    I love your tool man! :)

Sent from my DROID3 using xda premium
    Never admit that in public. XD
    Read-only file system?

Solved: Motofail, http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1497690, did the trick.

I could use help with rooting my Droid 3, running 2.3.4, Baseband N_03.18.32P, Verizon, about three weeks old. My purpose for rooting is primarily to shut off all the junk Verizon runs by default.

I tried Pete's Motorola Root tools v1.07, using Win 7 x32. Droid connects fine to PC, set to Charge Only, and with USB debugging checked. It gets through the first two steps fine, but on the third step says "ERROR: adb could not be granted root access via local.prop method" and then to try again. Trying again after rebooting doesn't change the outcome. (I'm curious about the people who said it worked after some number of hours; I would expect the same outcome if I repeated, as indeed I've found.)

To get a better sense of what was transpiring I also ran DooMLoRD_v4_ROOT-zergRush-busybox-su. I will reprint below the output of this program.

My android knowledge level is low. I successfully rooted a G1 years ago. So the "Manual ADB method" leaves me with many questions and no confidence I can execute it properly from the existing descriptions I have found. This is the only method that seems to work in this circumstance.

---------------------------------------------------------------
    Easy rooting toolkit (v4.0)
    created by DooMLoRD
    using exploit zergRush (Revolutionary Team)
    Credits go to all those involved in making this possible!
    [*] This script will:
    (1) root ur device using latest zergRush exploit (21 Nov)
    (2) install Busybox (1.18.4)
    (3) install SU files (binary: 3.0.3 and apk: 3.0.6)
    (4) some checks for free space, tmp directory
    (will remove Google Maps if required)
    [*] Before u begin:
    (1) make sure u have installed adb drivers for ur device
    (2) enable "USB DEBUGGING"
    from (Menu\Settings\Applications\Development)
    (3) enable "UNKNOWN SOURCES"
    from (Menu\Settings\Applications)
    (4) [OPTIONAL] increase screen timeout to 10 minutes
    (5) connect USB cable to PHONE and then connect to PC
    (6) skip "PC Companion Software" prompt on device
    CONFIRM ALL THE ABOVE THEN
    Press any key to continue . . .
    --- STARTING ----
    --- WAITING FOR DEVICE
    --- creating temporary directory
    mkdir failed for tmp, File exists
    --- cleaning
    rm failed for *, No such file or directory
    --- pushing zergRush
    1247 KB/s (23060 bytes in 0.018s)
    --- correcting permissions
    --- executing zergRush

[**] Zerg rush - Android 2.2/2.3 local root
    [**] © 2011 Revolutionary. All rights reserved.

[**] Parts of code from Gingerbreak, © 2010-2011 The Android Exploid Crew.

[+] Found a GingerBread ! 0x00000118
    [*] Scooting ...
    [*] Sending 149 zerglings ...
    [*] Sending 189 zerglings ...
    [-] Hellions with BLUE flames !
    --- WAITING FOR DEVICE TO RECONNECT
    if it gets stuck over here for a long time then try:
    disconnect usb cable and reconnect it
    toggle "USB DEBUGGING" (first disable it then enable it)
    --- DEVICE FOUND
    --- pushing busybox
    2149 KB/s (1075144 bytes in 0.488s)
    --- remounting /system
    mount: permission denied (are you root?)
    --- checking free space on /system
    142 KB/s (439 bytes in 0.003s)
    df: /mnt/secure/asec: Permission denied
    df: /mnt/sdcard/.android_secure: Invalid cross-device link
    --- Free space on /system : 104193 bytes
    --- no cleanup required
    --- copying busybox to /system/xbin/
    /system/xbin/busybox: cannot open for write: Read-only file system
    --- correcting ownership
    Unable to chmod /system/xbin/busybox: No such file or directory
    Unable to chmod /system/xbin/busybox: No such file or directory
    --- installing busybox
    /system/xbin/busybox: not found
    --- pushing SU binary
    failed to copy 'files\su' to '/system/bin/su': Read-only file system
    --- correcting ownership
    Unable to chmod /system/bin/su: No such file or directory
    Unable to chmod /system/bin/su: No such file or directory
    --- correcting symlinks
    rm failed for /system/xbin/su, Read-only file system
    link failed Read-only file system
    --- pushing Superuser app
    failed to copy 'files\Superuser.apk' to '/system/app/./Superuser.apk': Read-only
    file system
    --- cleaning
    --- rebooting
    ALL DONE!!!