GSM has been unlocked on sprint branded Photon 4g!

Search This thread

thundercles

Feb 20, 2011
Tempe, Arizona
Special thanks to Miniassasin23 for doing the testing. I don't have a sim card to test with, and when i test my stuff it often results in my devices being inoperable for long periods of time, and they normally aren't spares either. Utter chaos....

Success.png

That is the correspondence, post the pictures in a reply to this thread if you want Miniassasin I'd like to see them. Once again thanks, and I'll send you what should be a much more stable kernel that I built last night as soon as you give me an e-mail.

What does this mean now? For anyone who has been wanting to jump ship with their photon, it means you should soon be able to. An alpha release will be posted as soon as I pump a build out that I feel is stable enough (and works well enough) to responsibly distribute. I did a build last night that is untested currently, so if it tests well, the alpha release could be available within 24-48 hours on these boards.

The recommended release will be more for the devs then for the users as it will basically be a demonstration that the GSM code has been isolated and is portable, mine will be the latest stock kernel with GSM unlocked, but I intend to release it with a patch for devs to use to add that functionality to any of their non-stock kernels.

e240

Feb 12, 2011
I can test ..I have an att sim card not activated and I'm on cm7.let me know

I also have a T-Mobile sim card not activated

Sent from my MB855 using Tapatalk

daddymikey1975

Feb 6, 2010
Special thanks to Miniassasin23 for doing the testing. I don't have a sim card to test with, and when i test my stuff it often results in my devices being inoperable for long periods of time, and they normally aren't spares either. Utter chaos....

Success.png

That is the correspondence, post the pictures in a reply to this thread if you want Miniassasin I'd like to see them. Once again thanks, and I'll send you what should be a much more stable kernel that I built last night as soon as you give me an e-mail.

What does this mean now? For anyone who has been wanting to jump ship with their photon, it means you should soon be able to. An alpha release will be posted as soon as I pump a build out that I feel is stable enough (and works well enough) to responsibly distribute. I did a build last night that is untested currently, so if it tests well, the alpha release could be available within 24-48 hours on these boards.

The recommended release will be more for the devs then for the users as it will basically be a demonstration that the GSM code has been isolated and is portable, mine will be the latest stock kernel with GSM unlocked, but I intend to release it with a patch for devs to use to add that functionality to any of their non-stock kernels.

just release what you have put together so the rest of the devs can collaborate and work together.. many can/will test this and help you debug it.

craby1925

Nov 17, 2010
yes, maybe we'll get some of our lost members back like kennypow3rs to return.

Sent from my Motorola Electrify using xda premium

daddymikey1975

Feb 6, 2010
if there are no builds, code, source, or SOMETHING posted up for us to test before morning, I'm reporting this as trolololol.

shabbypenguin

Inactive Recognized Developer
May 30, 2010
while i havent seen his work firsthand, i can vouch that hes posted around on the forums asking about kernel source, and been in the irc channel talking to me about stuff.....

but i do agree that the release thread shoulda been in dev section while this... shoulda been general

jokersax11

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 13, 2009
www.jokersax.com
Congrats on this, I have official sprint documents stating the radio is blocking us carriers. So once this is out that is great. Also we need some github love on this so I can spread that code to every project.

Sent from my MB855 using XDA App

Reactions: jonas916

Android 17

Jun 15, 2010
Awesome news, but do try to release source as soon as possible, I'm sure Joker and other devs here wouldn't mind helping out or at least taking a look.

Dsparil

Mar 27, 2011
Good to know. Now I can get out of Sprint contact, and keep my MoPho. :)

With HSPA+, I won't even care about Wimax being unlocked as it's just as fast.

So does this flash the radios or something that needs to be implemented into every ROM?

Sent from my Photon 4G using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello all

I made a zip of the Japanese bp.img that you can flash for CWM. I was able to use a US T-MOBILE SIM on the sprint photon, however you will LOSE Sprint service. The photon had the bootloader unlocked and rooted before I flashed the radio.

If you want Sprint service back you need to use RDSlite and a Sprint SBF, I used 198_6.

WARNING THIS CAN DAMAGE OR BRICK YOUR PHONE AS WITH ANYTHING YOU FLASH ON YOUR PHONE. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IN WHAT YOU DO WITH IT.
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/yqgk95

PICS from my Photon
    xajo3.jpg
    142g5fl.jpg
    1262qsh.jpg
    Alright so someone(I will not name unless they ask) has given me a copy of the japanese radio. I will be attaching it to this post. If someone wants to figure out how to flash it go ahead, otherwise I will look into it tomorrow. MD5 is E57A9D8454C4BDC43B896CC3E3229689

Success.png

Do you have any proof other then a forum post?

This looks like pure troll.
    Hello all

I made a zip of the Japanese bp.img that you can flash for CWM. I was able to use a US T-MOBILE SIM on the sprint photon, however you will LOSE Sprint service. The photon had the bootloader unlocked and rooted before I flashed the radio.

If you want Sprint service back you need to use RDSlite and a Sprint SBF, I used 198_6.

WARNING THIS CAN DAMAGE OR BRICK YOUR PHONE AS WITH ANYTHING YOU FLASH ON YOUR PHONE. I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY IN WHAT YOU DO WITH IT.
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/yqgk95

PICS from my Photon
    xajo3.jpg
    142g5fl.jpg
    1262qsh.jpg

I will test this right now for att and post results http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1664212

EDIT: Confirmed working on att stock rom rooted and unlock. SMS MMS and 3g data working!

Great work, surprising how simple this ended up being.